"BIG DADDY" DON GARLITS

Red

Re: "BIG DADDY" DON GARLITS
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 07:45:46 AM »

Long live the KING!

Nice 4 port Red.

Haha... if it could only talk, I bet it would have some stories to tell!  Thanks for posting up all
the vintage pics. :)

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 01:53:46 PM »
Swamp Rat III –A, B and C: These were the first chrome moly tubing cars to come out of the Garlits Automotive in Tampa Florida. Ironically Connie Swingle is the only one who ever drove them in competition. SR III-B was the first car into the magic 7 second bracket, 7.88, and Connie did this at Blaney SC, then at Thompson Ohio Swingle almost hit the 200 MPH zone with a blistering 198.22! The “A” car was destroyed at Emporia Virginia and the “B” car was destroyed in a canal outside of Savannah Georgia. The “C” car was sold to Paul Vanderly and disappeared, probably scraped after an accident. All three cars have been rebuilt or recreated, the “A” car from the bent frame from Emporia, the “B” car completely recreated for Sonny Messner in Acton California and the “C” car recreated. The “A” and “C” cars are on display at the Drag Racing Museum and both are running cars.
From Garlits site.www.garlits.com
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
Swamp Rat III A.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »
Don Garlits, Swamp Rat III A holds an offical 1320 record of 7.88 seconds at Columbia, S.C. 1962.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 01:58:45 PM »
Swamp Rat III A Great Lakes Dragway Union Grove 1960.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 01:59:35 PM »
Swamp Rat III-B ran a blistering 198.66 with Connie Swingle at the wheel.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
Swamp Rat III C.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 02:07:45 PM »
Swamp Rat 4:  I built Swamp Rat 4 during the spring of 1962 at the request of Frank Wylie, my boss at Dodge Public Relations. He wanted me to compete in the 1962 NHRA US Nationals at Indy on gas, using the new Dodge 413 CID Max-Wedge engine that they were offering in the 1962 SS/AA cars. I snapped the car together, a very light weight piece of equipment and went to Indy, didn't run well at first, but soon got a handle on the "Gas" and went to runner-up against Jack Chrisman, driving Mickey Thompson's Hemi-Pontiac Dragster. Car was destroyed in an accident in 1963 and in the late 90’s, Connie Swingle and I built a replica of SR-4. This is a running car and I turned 205 MPH on gas at National Trails a few years ago!  Quite a ride with a short wheelbase car like Swamp Rat 4!   Note the 1/5 scale running replica of the car in the case.
 From Garlits site.www.garlits.com

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »
Swamp Rat IV A.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 02:10:26 PM »
Garlits and Mickey Thompson among a group of onlookers. Photo by Mike Goyda.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 02:18:46 PM »
Swamp Rat V-A (1962-63): The famed winged car that won Top Fuel at the 1963 Winternationals — Garlits’ first NHRA national event win — was built in the summer of 1962 but originally was going to be another gas dragster, with Liederbrand scheduled to drive. Garlits got a challenge from Vance Hunt to his No. 1 spot on the Drag News 1320 list and took this car to Texas to race instead. It was light and again featured a 120-inch wheelbase, and Garlits liked how it ran on fuel, but he found that at many strips, it overpowered the track. At the suggestion of Bruce Crower of Crower Cams fame, they added a fiberglass wing over the engine — modeled after an upside-down small-aircraft wing — when Garlits came to California. Frank Wylie from Dodge wanted a Garlits car for a Dodge dealers tour, and because Garlits already wanted a longer-wheelbase car, he gave them V-A. The whereabouts of this car are not known, but the car has been re-created and was most recently seen at the 50th Winternationals.

From the NHRA

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 02:24:47 PM »
Swamp Rat 5A: Connie Swingle and I built SR V-A in late 1962 as a gas car, but I got a challenge from Vance Hunt in Texas for my Number 1 Spot on the 1320 list. I defended the spot with the little light weight 5 car and she was forever a fueler. It was very light and spun the tires on most strips so while visiting Bruce Crower before the 1963 NHRA Winternationals, now back on nitro, Bruce suggested we build a wing over the engine for more traction down course. The wing worked, I won my first NHRA National event and was very pleased. However the light weight, short wheelbase, (120”) still continued to give traction problems on loose strips. When I returned to Tampa after the winter circuit, Swingle and I built a longer wheelbase Swamp Rat, (140”), Swamp Rat V-B and I took this car on the 1963 tour. Swamp Rat V-A was fitted with a 1963 Dodge blown 413 Cubic Inch Max-Wedge engine and loaned to Dodge for a dealership tour of the United States. I never saw the car again; I guess it’s hiding in some dealership’s garage. The Museum is in the process of recreating this fantastic little car with the first wing in drag racing.
From Don’s Site www.garlits.com

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »
Don Garlits ran 186.23 mph and ET of 8.26 seconds at the Winternationals in L. A. in 1963.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »
Don Garlits Swamp Rat V-A , LeRoi Smith & Connie Kalitta.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 02:31:16 PM »
Garlits Swamp Rat V-A.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »
Swamp Rat 5B: After the 1963 winter tour on the West Coast, Swingle and I decided to build a new car for the Eastern strips where traction was at a minimum, Swamp Rat V-A was a short wheelbase car and I knew that a longer wheelbase would put more weight on the rear tires, the wing helped down course, but gave no advantage off the starting line. We settled on 140" for the new car, Swamp Rat V-B. I ran the V-B car with the wing for a few races, but with the longer wheelbase, it was no longer necessary, so I removed it and put it back on the V-A car. Pat and along with the two little girls took the new car up the East Coast, into Canada, across the northern US to the Pacific Northwest and down into California, racing every weekend along the way. We returned home in October and the new tubing bender had arrived. We bent some tubes, cut off the back half of SR V-B and built Swamp Rat 6-A, my new car for 1964. A couple of years ago we decided to recreate Swamp Rat V-B as it was the last "Square Back" car I built. Jim Hunnewell and I built the car to run and perform in "Cacklefests" and she made her first appearance at the 2009 Gatornationals.
From Garlits site.