"BIG DADDY" DON GARLITS

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
"BIG DADDY" DON GARLITS
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »
King of the Dragsters.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

Re: "BIG DADDY" DON GARLITS
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Early Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »
Swamp Rat I: Built in 1956 as just rails, modified many times, but was at its best in the fall of 1958 having beat the best of the Californians at Houston and then in December setting the new world record at 180.00 MPH. SR I then in February of 1959 traveled to Bakersfield CA for its last competition run in the unblown configuration. A blower was installed at Iskenderian Cams and the car went on to win both of the final CA appearances setting Top Time and Low ET at both events. On June 20th 1959, the blower exploded and Don Garlits was seriously burned, he vowed never to drive again. The Swamp Rat was modified to fix the taller Art Malone and the new version is now referred to as Swamp Rat I-B. The car was retired in the spring of 1961, went on a short show circuit and brought back to the North Tampa shop on Nebraska Avenue. Then in 1966 the shop was hit with a major tornado and the Swamp Rat’s body was destroyed. Meanwhile Don Garlits and family had moved back to Seffner Florida. The remains of the car were moved to Seffner. Then during the spring of 1979, Don Garlits decided to restore the old car for the upcoming 25th Silver Anniversary of the NHRA US Nationals. Tom Lemons, Craig Wheeler, (Don’s old friend and body and paint mentor) and Don Restored the car and Pat Garlits and his two daughters, towed it to the 25th US Nationals. During the opening ceremonies, Don started the old girl and made a 165 MPH pass for the fans. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house. Since then Don drove the Swamp Rat I in its unblown configuration to 182 MPH at the Bristol Raceway in 1988. Don said after the interview, “I had a hard time holding her back!” Today the Swamp Rat I rests quietly in the first exhibit as you enter the Drag Racing Museum. Don often says to the press, “It’s my favorite car in the whole world; it made me what I am today!” From Don’s Site www.garlits.com

Fordors

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 01:22:01 PM »
When I crewed on Tom Motry's "Drastic Plastic" fuel altered one year we were booked into Great Lakes Dragaway and Garlits was there with one of the old Swamp Rats for exhibition runs. Don and his long time crewman and very close friend TC Lemon were pitted right across from us and I got to spend some time with TC. The stories were many and very entertaining and when I asked him about Major Cooksey his eyes lit up. Major ran, if I recall correctly, a speed shop at an airport somewhere in Oklahoma. Back in the early '60's Don ran Mopar 8 3/4 rear ends and preferred them because they were lighter and had less rotating friction compared to the usual '57 Olds rear that many drag cars ran. I asked TC about the treatment that Cooksey did to the 8 3/4 center sections to make them live because Garlits had been typically getting only 1-2 runs on a gear set. After a local race Don sent TC to Cooksey's place and he dropped off three third members to have set up. I don't know what the fee was but if they worked Don would pay. Upon running the first one Garlits gladly paid up as the dependability had dramatically improved. Cooksey had his own particular clearances worked out and I think he somehow did some "voodoo" to the gears, possibly an early cyrogenic treatment.
TC is also credited with the t-shirt with this on the back- I told my Momma I went to prison for twenty years because I didn't want her to know I was drag racing!
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 06:26:13 PM »
When I crewed on Tom Motry's "Drastic Plastic" fuel altered one year we were booked into Great Lakes Dragaway and Garlits was there with one of the old Swamp Rats for exhibition runs. Don and his long time crewman and very close friend TC Lemon were pitted right across from us and I got to spend some time with TC. The stories were many and very entertaining and when I asked him about Major Cooksey his eyes lit up. Major ran, if I recall correctly, a speed shop at an airport somewhere in Oklahoma. Back in the early '60's Don ran Mopar 8 3/4 rear ends and preferred them because they were lighter and had less rotating friction compared to the usual '57 Olds rear that many drag cars ran. I asked TC about the treatment that Cooksey did to the 8 3/4 center sections to make them live because Garlits had been typically getting only 1-2 runs on a gear set. After a local race Don sent TC to Cooksey's place and he dropped off three third members to have set up. I don't know what the fee was but if they worked Don would pay. Upon running the first one Garlits gladly paid up as the dependability had dramatically improved. Cooksey had his own particular clearances worked out and I think he somehow did some "voodoo" to the gears, possibly an early cyrogenic treatment.
TC is also credited with the t-shirt with this on the back- I told my Momma I went to prison for twenty years because I didn't want her to know I was drag racing!
Thanks for such a cool story.Like the last part about the T.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:40:10 PM »
Nice story, fordors!  Thanks for sharing.

topfuel724

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 05:37:49 AM »
Major Cooksey was in old downtown Irving TX on 356.  The shop was call Irving Speed Shop.  He was heat treating the gears because they were too brittle.  He and his son Wayne raced various Mopar's in the mid 60's out of that shop. He past away a few years ago.

Red

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:27:03 AM »
Long live the KING!

Fordors

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 08:59:38 AM »
Major Cooksey was in old downtown Irving TX on 356.  The shop was call Irving Speed Shop.  He was heat treating the gears because they were too brittle.  He and his son Wayne raced various Mopar's in the mid 60's out of that shop. He past away a few years ago.

Thanks for the clarification t/f724.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 08:22:30 PM »
Thanks.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 08:23:38 PM »
Long live the KING!
Nice 4 port Red.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 08:27:41 PM »
Swamp Rat I

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »
Swamp Rat I-B: This car was the modification of SR I to fit the tall and lanky Art Malone who took over the driving chores for Don when he was seriously burned at Chester SC In 1959. On its first competitive outing at Sanford Maine in August 1959, the young rookie set the drag racing world on its ear by setting a new World’s Record of 183.66, breaking Don Garlits’ record of 182.54 set at Houston, June 1959. Then Art won the California Challenge at Riverside in December, beating the famed “Hustler” driven by Art Chrisman. The next season at Bakersfield Art again raised the 1320 Record to 185.56 and the next weekend at Fremont raised the mark again to 187.10. The drag racing world was stunned, how could this backyard dragster, built from a set of 1931 Chevrolet frame rails run faster and quicker than the world’s finest drag racing equipment? They would never know the answer to this perplexing question. Art went on his own early that year and Don returned to the seat of SR I-B. He lowered the 1320 ET Record to 8.23 Seconds at York PA and ran an unofficial 204.54 at the Bainbridge Georgia airport before retiring the car, which was in the tornado of 1966 that hit North Tampa. When Don restored the car in 1979, he put it back to its original configuration. Then in 2003, Don decided to build a replica of the SR I-B for exhibition. The car was completed and first taken to the NHRA Reunion at Bowling Green. SR I-B was a big hit and has made many appearances around the country doing burnouts for the fans. Today it can be seen in the Drag Racing Museum. This was the first dragster in the sport to have port nozzles and the original setup is on the car now.
www.garlits.com

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 08:38:08 PM »
Art Malone in seat & Garlits  Swamp Rat 1b 1960.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 08:44:18 PM »
Swamp Rat I B Garlits switched from Isky to Giovanni Cams.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 08:45:21 PM »
Swamp Rat I b Photo courtesy Don Garlits.

Red

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 07:45:46 AM »

Long live the KING!

Nice 4 port Red.

Haha... if it could only talk, I bet it would have some stories to tell!  Thanks for posting up all
the vintage pics. :)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 01:53:46 PM »
Swamp Rat III –A, B and C: These were the first chrome moly tubing cars to come out of the Garlits Automotive in Tampa Florida. Ironically Connie Swingle is the only one who ever drove them in competition. SR III-B was the first car into the magic 7 second bracket, 7.88, and Connie did this at Blaney SC, then at Thompson Ohio Swingle almost hit the 200 MPH zone with a blistering 198.22! The “A” car was destroyed at Emporia Virginia and the “B” car was destroyed in a canal outside of Savannah Georgia. The “C” car was sold to Paul Vanderly and disappeared, probably scraped after an accident. All three cars have been rebuilt or recreated, the “A” car from the bent frame from Emporia, the “B” car completely recreated for Sonny Messner in Acton California and the “C” car recreated. The “A” and “C” cars are on display at the Drag Racing Museum and both are running cars.
From Garlits site.www.garlits.com

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
Swamp Rat III A.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »
Don Garlits, Swamp Rat III A holds an offical 1320 record of 7.88 seconds at Columbia, S.C. 1962.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 01:58:45 PM »
Swamp Rat III A Great Lakes Dragway Union Grove 1960.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 01:59:35 PM »
Swamp Rat III-B ran a blistering 198.66 with Connie Swingle at the wheel.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
Swamp Rat III C.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 02:07:45 PM »
Swamp Rat 4:  I built Swamp Rat 4 during the spring of 1962 at the request of Frank Wylie, my boss at Dodge Public Relations. He wanted me to compete in the 1962 NHRA US Nationals at Indy on gas, using the new Dodge 413 CID Max-Wedge engine that they were offering in the 1962 SS/AA cars. I snapped the car together, a very light weight piece of equipment and went to Indy, didn't run well at first, but soon got a handle on the "Gas" and went to runner-up against Jack Chrisman, driving Mickey Thompson's Hemi-Pontiac Dragster. Car was destroyed in an accident in 1963 and in the late 90’s, Connie Swingle and I built a replica of SR-4. This is a running car and I turned 205 MPH on gas at National Trails a few years ago!  Quite a ride with a short wheelbase car like Swamp Rat 4!   Note the 1/5 scale running replica of the car in the case.
 From Garlits site.www.garlits.com

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »
Swamp Rat IV A.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 02:10:26 PM »
Garlits and Mickey Thompson among a group of onlookers. Photo by Mike Goyda.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 02:18:46 PM »
Swamp Rat V-A (1962-63): The famed winged car that won Top Fuel at the 1963 Winternationals — Garlits’ first NHRA national event win — was built in the summer of 1962 but originally was going to be another gas dragster, with Liederbrand scheduled to drive. Garlits got a challenge from Vance Hunt to his No. 1 spot on the Drag News 1320 list and took this car to Texas to race instead. It was light and again featured a 120-inch wheelbase, and Garlits liked how it ran on fuel, but he found that at many strips, it overpowered the track. At the suggestion of Bruce Crower of Crower Cams fame, they added a fiberglass wing over the engine — modeled after an upside-down small-aircraft wing — when Garlits came to California. Frank Wylie from Dodge wanted a Garlits car for a Dodge dealers tour, and because Garlits already wanted a longer-wheelbase car, he gave them V-A. The whereabouts of this car are not known, but the car has been re-created and was most recently seen at the 50th Winternationals.

From the NHRA

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 02:24:47 PM »
Swamp Rat 5A: Connie Swingle and I built SR V-A in late 1962 as a gas car, but I got a challenge from Vance Hunt in Texas for my Number 1 Spot on the 1320 list. I defended the spot with the little light weight 5 car and she was forever a fueler. It was very light and spun the tires on most strips so while visiting Bruce Crower before the 1963 NHRA Winternationals, now back on nitro, Bruce suggested we build a wing over the engine for more traction down course. The wing worked, I won my first NHRA National event and was very pleased. However the light weight, short wheelbase, (120”) still continued to give traction problems on loose strips. When I returned to Tampa after the winter circuit, Swingle and I built a longer wheelbase Swamp Rat, (140”), Swamp Rat V-B and I took this car on the 1963 tour. Swamp Rat V-A was fitted with a 1963 Dodge blown 413 Cubic Inch Max-Wedge engine and loaned to Dodge for a dealership tour of the United States. I never saw the car again; I guess it’s hiding in some dealership’s garage. The Museum is in the process of recreating this fantastic little car with the first wing in drag racing.
From Don’s Site www.garlits.com

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »
Don Garlits ran 186.23 mph and ET of 8.26 seconds at the Winternationals in L. A. in 1963.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »
Don Garlits Swamp Rat V-A , LeRoi Smith & Connie Kalitta.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 02:31:16 PM »
Garlits Swamp Rat V-A.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »
Swamp Rat 5B: After the 1963 winter tour on the West Coast, Swingle and I decided to build a new car for the Eastern strips where traction was at a minimum, Swamp Rat V-A was a short wheelbase car and I knew that a longer wheelbase would put more weight on the rear tires, the wing helped down course, but gave no advantage off the starting line. We settled on 140" for the new car, Swamp Rat V-B. I ran the V-B car with the wing for a few races, but with the longer wheelbase, it was no longer necessary, so I removed it and put it back on the V-A car. Pat and along with the two little girls took the new car up the East Coast, into Canada, across the northern US to the Pacific Northwest and down into California, racing every weekend along the way. We returned home in October and the new tubing bender had arrived. We bent some tubes, cut off the back half of SR V-B and built Swamp Rat 6-A, my new car for 1964. A couple of years ago we decided to recreate Swamp Rat V-B as it was the last "Square Back" car I built. Jim Hunnewell and I built the car to run and perform in "Cacklefests" and she made her first appearance at the 2009 Gatornationals.
From Garlits site.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 03:44:45 PM »
Swamp Rat VI-A (1964): This car is Swamp Rat V-B with a swoopy new back half, built in this fashion to save time. Because he was so enamored of its finished look with its swoopy back section, Garlits initially decided to paint this car red, but at an open event in Pomona, an opponent with a similarly red car was inadvertently given the win over Garlits, so he painted the car black. This car also was the first Wynn’s Jammer entry after Garlits was paid $1,000 by the friction-proofing company to rename the car. Garlits runner-upped at the 1964 March Meet in this car and later sold it to Spencer Krumholtz, who sold it to Red Lang of Dead End Kids fame. Garlits stumbled across this car in 1997, and even though it was painted pink (!), he spied telltale body repairs that he had done 35 years earlier and bought it for $6,500 from a guy who didn’t know until much later why Garlits wanted the car so badly. The restored version is on display in the museum.
From the NHRA

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »
Swamp Rat VI.
The Swamp Rat VI Teardown

Speed and elapsed-time milestones in drag racing were being smashed at a steady pace in the ’60s, but one of the biggest—if not the biggest—barrier to be broken was the 200-mph mark for the quarter. Some say it was first accomplished by Chris “Golden Greek” Karamesines, running 204.54 mph at Illinois’ Alton Dragway in April 1960, but the NHRA recognizes Don Garlits as the first, with his 201.34-mph run at the recently shuttered Island Dragway in Green Meadows, New Jersey, on August 2, 1964. We’re not here to enter that hackneyed argument. Instead, here’s a look at another lesser-known feat by Garlits.

After his hero pass, he offered to completely tear down his Top Fuel Dragster for HOT ROD to dissect—swearing he would reveal everything it took to achieve this watershed event. Later that month, at Hurst Performance in Philadelphia, HOT ROD’s Ray Brock met with Garlits to photograph the completely torn-down Swamp Rat VI. In an unprecedented 12 pages in the Nov. 1964 HOT ROD, Garlits discussed in fine detail every aspect of his dragster, including typically secret combinations dealing with injector nozzles, cam grind, blower clearances, fuel mixture, ignition mods, and timing.

But here’s the impressive part: After spending two hours tearing down Swamp Rat VI along with commentary, Garlits spent another five hours putting it all back together in time for an NHRA regional meet back at Island Dragway a day later. Then it was on to Indy for the NHRA Nationals where he took Top Fuel Eliminator honors with a 7.67 e.t. at 198.22 mph.

I believe I can break 200 almost any time I want to from now on.
— Don Garlits, HRM , Nov. 1964

From Hot Rod magazine.

oldsjoe

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 08:23:20 PM »
Watched this, and a few more videos the other day, I can't say I was amazed as to the just a regular guy attitude Big Daddy is just that, if you ever have the chance to speak with the man you should do it! Very nice and approachable man that isn't full of himself as some modern day racer's.  Joe

Living the DREAM!!! One nut and bolt at a time!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 10:50:14 PM »
Watched this, and a few more videos the other day, I can't say I was amazed as to the just a regular guy attitude Big Daddy is just that, if you ever have the chance to speak with the man you should do it! Very nice and approachable man that isn't full of himself as some modern day racer's.  Joe

Thanks Joe.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 12:10:57 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 12:15:09 AM »
Garlits frame.

DavyJ

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 03:36:11 PM »
Big D
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »
Swamp Rat VI-B (1964-65): Krumholtz actually had this "swoopy-tail" car on the jig at Garlits’ shop and couldn’t wait, taking VI-A instead, so this became the famous VI-B, one of Garlits' most successful entries. The car, which went to England as part of the 1964 NHRA tour and made the famous 200-mph pass at Island Dragway in August 1964, won the 1964 Nationals, set the national speed record at the 1965 Winternationals, and gave Garlits what he called one of his greatest wins, at the1965 March Meet, when he finally conquered Bakersfield. At that race, Garlits won Saturday's 64-car show, meaning that he would sit out Sunday and race the winner of Sunday's 32-car field, but Garlits instead jumped into Marvin Schwartz's Garlits-built "shop car" — the Garlits Chassis Special — for Sunday’s first round so that Schwartz could watch the car run and try to diagnose a tuning problem, but Garlits won that round and stayed in the car and beat Sunday's field, too. With no way to race two cars at the same time, Schwartz got back into his car and lost to Garlits for overall honors. Garlits had a buyer lined up for the car, but, in his last scheduled race in the car, it suffered a chute failure at Island and flipped in the shutdown area, severely damaging the car. Needless to say, the sale was off. Garlits stowed it for years behind his shop before restoring it in 1986. The car spent time in the NHRA Motorsports Museum before returning to Florida and was on display at this year's Gatornationals.
From the NHRA site.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2015, 10:27:45 AM »
Swamp Rat VI-B

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2015, 10:39:25 AM »
Swamp Rat VII-A (1963-64): Built in late 1963 and first run in early 1964 by Swingle, who took the car on tour while Garlits was driving SR VI. The car did not have the swoopy tail section of VI-A and -B because Swingle didn’t want the weight of the one-piece fiberglass tail section. The front end of the car was heavily damaged in a crash at U.S. 30, so Swingle took the engine and drivetrain and left the crumbled remains where they lay. A fan sawed off the cockpit for a groovy keepsake and years later approached Garlits and offered to give it back. In 2005, he rebuilt the car using the original cockpit.
From the NHRA site.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »
Misc.

oldsjoe

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »
Here are a few from my collection. Joe
Living the DREAM!!! One nut and bolt at a time!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2015, 05:34:45 PM »
Swamp Rat 8: 
Was built in the fall of 1964 with the brand new Dodge 426 Hemi engine. This was the first car out of Garlits Automotive Inc. using the new Chrysler Hemi. Connie Swingle ran it at the 1965 US Fuel and Gas Championships, held at Bakersfield CA with a torsion bar rear suspension by Bruce Crower. When we returned to Tampa after the Winter Series, Dodge demanded I take over the car as my primary ride, as they didn't build 392's anymore. I removed the rear suspension and went on the 65 tour with SR 8, but I had a very bad year with the car as I was trying to tune it like the 392. This engine needed lots of spark lead and when I finally discovered this the engine came to life, but not before we cut the front half off of old SR 8 and renamed the car Swamp Rat 10. Then in 2005 I decided to recreate the #8 car from an old crashed rear section I had hanging around the garage for many years along with an original "Garlits" tail section. By 2006 the project was finished and we took the car to the NHRA Reunion in Bowling Green KY. The car is now on display in the Drag Racing Museum.
From Garlits site.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2016, 07:50:49 PM »
Swamp Rat 9
Was the Roadster Dart, built by Emery Cook and myself after the steel bodied Dart blew over at Detroit in 1966. We took the old Marvin Schwartz "Garlits Chassis Special", shortened the chassis, raised the driver cage and "presto", we had a tubing chassis Funny Car, the first one. The car was an instant winner, being the first F/C over 200 MPH at St Petersburg Florida. NHRA then outlawed the tubing chassis in Funny Car and we parked the car in the woods in back of the Seffner Shop. When we formed the Drag Racing Museum, the car was brought inside and freshened up. It is on display in the Museum today, totally original.
From Garlits site.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 08:04:06 PM »
Swamp Rat IX (1965-66):
Dubbed "the roadster Dart," it's the first non-dragster Swamp Rat but not the first Garlits Dart. The first was a rear-engine '65 piece, built in 1964 by Swingle and Garlits and fitted with the engine from SR VIII. Don Garlits' Dart, as it was called, made just one pass before the throttle hung open on Garlits at Golden Triangle Dragstrip and — in an eerie precursor to what would happen to Garlits years later at Lions — the transmission exploded, cutting the car in half. Garlits then inherited a similar car from Dick Branstner and Jay Howell and hired Emery Cook to drive it, and it, too, met a quick end, backflipping at U.S. 30. Garlits, ever eager to please Dodge, didn’t give up on the idea and, with Wylie's approval, draped a fiberglass Dart body over Schwartz's Swamp Rat VI copycat dragster chassis after shortening the wheelbase from 150 to 120 inches. They cut off the top, and Cook basically sat where the trunk was supposed to be. The car was fast and drew scorn from the other fledgling Funny Car competitors whose cars were not tube-framed; they saw it as nothing more than a cloaked dragster (which it was), so the car was forced into an altered class, where it was not competitive. The following year, NHRA allowed tube-frame Funny Car chassis. The car still ran more than 200 mph in St. Petersburg, Fla., earning the duo headlines in the drag rags. The car was retired after 1966 and sat behind Garlits' Seffner, Fla.,
 From the Nhra  Phil Burgess, National Dragster Editor

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2016, 08:34:17 PM »
Don Garlits – Dart Games
The name Garlits has always been synonymous with Top Fuel. The guy they were calling Old Man by 1970 didn’t just rewrite the record book, he wrote history. Over the course of a career that has spanned more than 60 years, Don Garlits proved time and again that he was in a class by himself.

Those who were around back in the day may also recall the serious controversy that erupted between the fuel diggers and the newfangled “funny cars” when they showed up as potential usurpers. Guys who had perfected tire-smoking, wheelstanding banzai runs in rails were suddenly feeling displaced by newcomers and circus acts that were accompanied by heavy funding from Detroit. Debates raged in the press, in the pits, and in the stands as to what was “better.”

Garlits made a living driving fuel dragsters almost longer than anyone. However, in addition to his stamina, he was practical, pragmatic enough to see there might be something to the “funny” idea.

“I was for them. I was for anything that helped the independent strip operator, and those Funny Cars were the lifeblood for the independent strips,” Garlits said. “Now, the dragsters were still good, but it is always nice to inject something new in there to keep the spectator interest piqued, and the Funny Car did it.”

When Chrysler had completed the earliest work on the new 426 Hemi for the NASCAR wars, and the 1964 Daytona 500 in particular, its attention swiftly shifted to drag racing. This form interested Chrysler for a number of reasons, including the successes of the previous Max Wedges and threats from Ford’s new Thunderbolt Fairlanes. Beginning in April 1964, a group of 1964 Hemi Super Stocks followed up the late-1963 release of the 1964 Max Wedge versions. And as fresh 426 Hemi parts became available, Dodge PR guru Frank Wylie advised Don, whom the company sponsored, that they wanted him to build an exhibition stocker.

Wylie may have been stung by the somewhat dismal Dodge Chargers promotion, which had reportedly cost the company well over $100,000. The two-car team’s management had burned through the cash for the blown-gas program before the Hemi engines even showed up and had been further embarrassed when Mercury helped Jack Chrisman put together a supercharged nitro Comet that crashed the Chargers party by showing up unannounced.

Though he was running 392s in competition, Don was already playing around with a blown 426 Hemi combination. The factory sent a new 1965 Dart down to Florida in autumn of 1964, which Don and associate Connie Swingle stripped bare. The idea was to mount the engine in the back-seat area. They built up the motor with custom parts, using a custom Dean Moon hydraulic throttle and a B&M Torkmaster transmission that pushed power through a torque converter into the differential.

“They sent me a driving [complete] car [rather than] a body in white, and we made a rear-engine, fuel-burning Dart,” Garlits said. “Well, we weren’t finished with it yet, but Chrysler was anxious to get some footage of it, and we thought it could just do some burnouts. They sent a film crew down here to Florida. Connie Swingle was going to be the driver. So he makes a couple of squirts with it and it doesn’t look too impressive; he’s just easing it out there. Well, we were not getting any impressive pictures, and I said, ‘Swingle, let me have that thing!’

“‘Gar, don’t hurt my toy, now,’ that was the last words he said as I got into it. Of course, I only know two throttle positions—wide open and off—so I just stepped right down on it. And it was beautiful; it went straight as an arrow with smoke blowing out of the back of it. So I went down to maybe 300 to 400 feet, because I didn’t even have on a helmet. I was in a T-shirt; I didn’t have the belts on, nothing. I’m just in there, going to make a burnout and back off. So I backed off, but it didn’t back off; it just kept going. The throttle had hung open and it was hauling ass!

“This was a 426 Hemi on 85 percent, so I jammed on the brakes, which locked up the front wheels. You couldn’t lock up the back wheels under power, and now it sort of raised up, and that made it even worse. So [the engine] spun even higher. Then the B&M Torkmaster converter exploded and cut the whole car in two. It filled the cockpit with flames from the back, just a burst, enough to singe you, and I jumped right out of the window.

“It just spun around and stopped. I mean, that was the quickest destruction of any nice piece of equipment that I ever had. We took a couple of snapshots, and [Dodge's Detroit PR man] Moon Mullins, who was in charge of the shoot, he said, ‘Take it all to the dumpster, don’t save any pictures; this never happened!’ I’d love to have the video footage of it—they must have it somewhere.”

But Don did keep a couple of the photos, and Frank Wylie later referenced the incident just once in a letter that he wrote to the NHRA Tech Director Bill Dismuke soon afterward. Quite ironically, during the car’s build-up, Wylie told Don that once it was shaken down, Bill Golden would get it. When Maverick came to Tampa to see it during construction, he turned his thumbs down. Wylie gave him the Little Red Wagon instead.

Still, Dodge wanted something small to race against the Mustangs, and while Garlits was riding out his inaugural bottle rocket, Jay Howell and Dick Branstner were busy on another project called the Dart Charger. That car was basically the same as what the Garlits’ project had been: a mid-mounted, supercharged Hemi on fuel. Howell drove the multi-hued Dart for part of 1965 and 1966, getting some ink for Wylie, but not making any major waves; it was repainted as the Polka-Dart during this time.

In 1965 Don had moved his family to Troy, Michigan, just down the street from Branstner’s place. Meanwhile, Wylie had told him to stuff that new Hemi into his rail and make it work—no more 392s. Though an innovator, Garlits was finding a steep learning curve with that program and got a call from Wylie in the spring of 1966.

“Frank Wylie told me, ‘Go over to Branstner’s and get that Dart, and get Swingle up there to drive it. Maybe you guys can get some good out of it.’ Due to the work I was doing for Chrysler, I now had my shop in Troy; I could run over to Centerline to pick up parts.”

However, Swingle had gone out on his own, so after taking the project over, Don swapped its driveline out for a double-disc dragster clutch layout and repainted it basic black as Garlits’ Dart. He also hired old friend Emory Cook, of Cook & Bedwell dragster fame, who came from California to tune and drive it. Though he had been “retired,” Emory fearlessly loaded the steel-bodied contraption up with a heavy dose of fuel after running a couple of weeks of exhibition dates in the early summer of 1966, hoping to break the 200-mph barrier.

“We took it over to Detroit Dragway,” Garlits said. “Gil Kohn had booked me in for a race with Kalitta, and we were going to try for a record with the Dart as well. We wanted a warm-up that afternoon, before the crowds showed up. Well, Cook goes down through there, and the Dart went into a wheelstand. The rear wheels came off the ground, the engine free-wound, and it threw the clutch out of it. He braced himself in the car and the whole thing went airborne. Emory didn’t get hurt, thanks to the way Jay had built that thing. We cleaned the wreck up and took it back to the shop; that was the end of that one. Totaled. A couple of runs was all we got out of it.”

The demise of the Dart Charger coincided with Garlits finally discovering how to put the 426 into the record books. After advancing the timing in frustration, the car picked up big time. With some 210-mph runs under his belt, Big Daddy was now ready to begin another assault on the digger record books.
“After the Dart blew over at Detroit, we didn’t know what was going to happen, so Wylie called and said, ‘Let’s build a roadster Dart. I know a guy who can build a body and you guys build a chassis.’ Well, Marvin Schwartz was just finishing up with a car from us, a Garlits Chassis Special that was a replica of Wynns Jammer 6A-B. So we took that car and raised the rollcage up a little bit; it set up higher, and we modified it in length to drop the fiberglass body over that. That car, tube-chassis, blown engine, no top, became the first Funny Car to hit 200 mph.”

In 1966 Mercury had revolutionized the exhibition stocker ranks with the Comet program that a select few like Don Nicholson, Ed Schartman, and Jack Chrisman would put into the record books. Chrisman built a blown roadster, which met its demise at New York National Speedway in a big fire that August, just as Garlits and Cook were getting back on track.

“They wouldn’t let us run as a Funny Car,” Garlits said. “I don’t know if that name was being used yet, so we ran it in sort of factory experimental. We raced the other guys, but they did not think it was fair; I mean, here was basically a dragster with a plastic body set over it. Most of them still had sort of a stock body. There is one famous picture where Beswick is out on it, but his light is red. He’s got a regular-looking car and we have the roadster Dart.”

Outrageous or not, the car immediately got attention because of its performances—and the famous name etched on its flanks. Cook ran it a number of times in the second half of 1966, but was homesick for the Golden State and his family. As the year wound down, the NHRA announced that it would no longer allow roadsters to run the X/S (experimental stock) classes, effectively squelching the Dart, the Secret Weapon Jeep, the topless Melrose Missile, and others. Though match-racing options existed, with Cook leaving, Garlits parked the roadster and focused on his dragster.

“Near the end, it went 200 mph at St. Petersburg [Florida], honest clocks and good runs. It was the real deal,” Garlits said. “They did a nice story in the magazines. The newspaper had a headline: ‘Dart Goes 200.’ That’s when NHRA said, ‘You just can’t run that car like that anymore, tube chassis and all of that.’ So we just put it out back at the shop in Seffner, and that is where it sat for a bunch of years. The following year, here comes the tubing chassis and plastic bodies, but we weren’t interested in it anymore. We were tired of it.”

Indeed, Don’s converter-exploding pass in 1965 was the only time he ever actually piloted a Funny Car or exhibition stocker. In the early 1970s Norm Day leased the “Big Daddy Don Garlits” name to run on an alcohol Funny in exhibition in the Midwest. Still, there were a couple of times that Garlits found himself easing into the lights against a flopper, though he himself was still sitting in an open cockpit with a lot of pipe stretched out in front of him.

“I even raced them. I raced Bruce Larson at Island Dragway,” he recalled. “I raced Brutus at Atco and they had the biggest crowd ever for that. In fact, I beat him and it made some guy so mad that he got a Coke bottle and threw it at me while I was still in the car, and it busted on the rollcage and splattered glass all over me. They just knew that Brutus was going to beat that dragster! Guess he didn’t realize a dragster would be faster than a Funny Car [laughs].”

Don Garlits recounts more tales of the Darts and other machines in his book, “Don Garlits and His Cars.” Author Geoff Stunkard originally compiled the information above for his upcoming book “Hemi: Chrysler’s Legendary V8 In Competition,” to be published by CarTech in 2015.

Source: Hot Rod (Geoff Stunkard)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »
Swamp Rat X 
Was a remake from Swamp Rat VIII and we did the job in my shop at Troy Michigan. George Delorean was working for me then and he was one super craftsman. We cut off the front half of SR 8, a 140" wheelbase car, added a new front half making the car 175" wheelbase. George and I fabricated a new front aluminum nose piece and I headed West for a match race with Don "The Snake" Prudhomme for the Drag Racer #1 Spot at Half Moon Bay Dragstrip in Northern CA. The car was black with silver letters. I then had Tom Hanna build a new body for the whole car and "Cerney" the painter made the car red. I was not successful with #10, but did discover that the 426 needed at least 50 degrees spark lead to run properly. I painted the car red and black for the 1967 season, had Emery Cook drive it a few times, but decided during the NHRA Springnationals at Bristol TN we needed a new car. SR 10 was retired and a dummy engine installed and loaned to Bill Tuthill's Museum of Speed in Daytona Beach during the fall of 1967. Many years later when Mr. Tuthill passed away, the car was returned and it is still in its original condition, on display here at the Museum of Drag Racing.
From Garlits site.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2016, 04:51:51 PM »
Swamp Rat XI (1967)
 Built in just 72 hours by Garlits, on-again/off-again crewmember and car builder Bob Taffe, and Jim Marrone, this 190-inch car would star in one of Garlits' signature moments, the shaving of his beard after winning the Nationals later that year. The car, which lacked any front bodywork, debuted with a match race win over Roland Leong's Hawaiian in Muncie, Ind., and Garlits was hungry for an NHRA victory. He hadn’t won an NHRA national event since the 1964 Nationals, and while many of his peers were routinely running in the sixes, he had been kept out of that zone by the poor performance of Swamp Rat X, leading many to call Garlits "washed up" at age 35. They should have known better. Despite qualifying just 23rd, the loan of a set of new M&H tires from eventual final-round opponent James Warren had Garlits solidly in the 7.0s. After a 7.01 in the semi's, Garlits cranked out the memorable 6.77 in the final (just a hundredth off of Tom McEwen's 6.76 low e.t.), and the rest is history. Incredibly, the car didn’t stay in Garlits’ garage long: He sold it to Carl Schiefer of Schiefer Manufacturing as a display car. Schiefer later sold it to Sunbeam, and it actually ended up in Hollywood at the Cars of the Stars Museum. When the museum closed, they called Garlits to see if he wanted the car back. What do you think he said?
From the NHRA

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2016, 05:20:59 PM »
Swamp Rat 12-A (1968)
 Garlits wanted a shorter car to work better on West Coast strips, so SR 12-A (note the switch to Arabic numerals) was built with a wheelbase of just 137 inches. The car ran at the 1968 Winternationals but not well, so Garlits sold it to some Sportsman racers, who later crashed it. Garlits built them another car, taking the wrecked 12-A back as part of the fee. He held on to it until 1987, when it got a new front half, but it still was not displayed. In 2007, Chrysler asked Garlits to put one of its new 392 Hemis in his cars, and he chose 12-A. The car got a new nosepiece by Jim Hunnewell — Garlits' common help in all of the Swamp Rat restorations — to cover the same bare frame that XI had, as well as fresh lettering. This hybrid car made its debut at the California Hot Rod Reunion, appeared at the SEMA Show, was featured in a Mopar commercial, and is the one that Garlits cackled at the recent Gatornationals.
From the NHRA.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 01:48:12 PM »
Swamp Rat 12-B (1968-69): Making a 180-degree turn in philosophy, at 215 inches, SR 12-B was longer than even XI. It was one of the first cars to receive a 240-mph time slip (albeit on Alton's somewhat sketchy timers) and won the Springnationals and the Nationals, then capped the season by winning the championship of the three-race PDA series in California. The car began life, like XI and 12-A, with bare tubing from the engine forward, but by year's end, it was enclosed in Tom Hanna bodywork and enjoyed sponsorship from TV comedians the Smothers Brothers. Garlits broke his leg in a motorcycle wreck that winter, and that combined with the departure of Taffe, who went back to work in the family business, caused Garlits to keep 12-B in action for 1969. Swingle had returned to the camp (again) and brought with him a "nice young man" (Garlits' words) from Bixby, Okla., Thomas "T.C." Lemons, whose name would come to be written into history alongside Garlits' for years to come. They campaigned this car heavily, but the frame became tired after a year and a half on the road and broke several times. The car sat in the Garlits shop for a year before Wynn's called and asked for a show car to take to Europe. In 1983, Garlits asked Wynn's to track down the old gal, and it was found in a warehouse in Holland in sad shape. It had been painted gold and the headers of the dummy engine outfitted with lights that illuminated (along with a tape-recorded vroooom) when someone pushed the gas pedal. It was beat to heck from all of the people who had been allowed to sit in it; it took some doing, but the car was fully restored and is in Garlits' museum.

From the NHRA.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »
Swamp Rat 13 (1969-70): Built in a hurry by Garlits and Lemons (Swingle was fishing, much to Garlits' disdain) in hopes of making the 1969 NHRA Springnationals in Dallas. They match raced the car everywhere and anywhere, including in Amarillo, Texas, where a shutdown-area bump tore Garlits' bladder, causing a near-fatal case of uremic poisoning, but the worst was still to come for the unlucky 13. Garlits had begun experimenting with Leonard Abbott’s two-speed transmission in late 1969 but found that its 1950 Ford internals wouldn’t hold up to the power of a nitro mill, so Garlits made his own out of parts from a Chrysler 727 Torqueflite, dubbing it the Garlitsdrive. The transmission worked well and won him several races at year's end but exploded on the starting line March 8, 1970, in the final of the AHRA Grand American opener at Lions Dragstrip, severing half of his right foot. While he was recuperating in the hospital and scheming about his soon-to-be revolutionary rear-engine dragster, Garlits sold SR 13 to Lemons, who hired Swingle to drive it. Garlits went to Bristol for the AHRA Springnationals that year to watch Swingle and Lemons run, but they couldn’t get the car into the show. Garlits, against the wishes of (and promises to) his wife, jumped in the car and put it in the field. He then was hired by Lemons to drive the car for 40 percent of the take, the only time that Garlits ever drove for someone else (and in his own ex-car, to boot!). At year's end, Lemons sold the car to Art Malone, who ran it for a time then resold it. Garlits spied the car a few years later being campaigned in the Sportsman ranks with small-block Chevy power, bought it back, and restored it.

From the NHRA.

29bowtie

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2016, 07:07:37 PM »
 8)
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2016, 05:54:08 PM »
A few more.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2016, 05:55:18 PM »
SR-1-B Bakersfield Don returned to Bakersfield for the March Meet again in 1960, with Art driving.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »
The all-red version of Swamp Rat X.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2016, 05:16:03 PM »
Swamp Rat 14 (1970-71)
 If ever there was a truly legendary car among Garlits' many legendary cars, it's this one: not the first rear-engine car ever built, but certainly the first successful one, and a car that changed the face of modern Top Fuel racing. Built in late 1970, the car almost never made it to its legendary 1971 Winternationals victory party. Had there been a guardwall at Tampa Dragway where the car veered sharply off track several times before Garlits got the steering ratio right or had the tumbling engine out of the John Collins-driven Atlas Tools Funny Car rolled an inch or two left or right as it bounded over the cockpit of the car in the shutdown area at Lions Dragstrip in early 1971, I might be telling a different story. It took three months of testing to get the car right and set the stage for history in Pomona, and even then, no one wanted to run alongside the car at Lions, where Garlits took runner-up honors, and when he won Pomona and the Bakersfield March Meet, the handwriting was on the wall. A month later, Garlits added a rear wing to the car (his first wing since Swamp Rat V-A in 1963). This car also was part of the drag racing moment that Garlits told me he most regrets: engaging Steve Carbone in a burndown in the Nationals final, in which a superheated engine made too much power and Garlits smoked the tires. Garlits sold the car to Carl Casper for a show car with the stipulation that it never be raced. Garlits traded Casper a new car in 1983 to get SR 14 back. It was housed at the NHRA Museum for a decade before ending up back at Garlits' Swamp Rat shrine in Florida.

From the NHRA.
without and with a rear wing.
14 A & 14 B

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2016, 06:21:31 PM »
Swamp Rat 15 (1971): Built as backup in case the rear-engine car didn’t work, this is the last slingshot that "Big Daddy" and company built. Garlits' wife, Pat, aghast at seeing another front-engine car under construction, told him in no uncertain terms that he had better get rid of it. The car was taken to California inside the same trailer as the rear-engine car and sold to Goodyear as a display car. The car stayed on the show circuit for several years before being heavily damaged in transport and offered to Garlits. Lemons and Garlits fixed 'er up and loaned it to the Florida Sports Hall of Fame and most recently to Summit Racing, which had the car hanging from the ceiling of its showroom in McDonough, Ga.
From NHRA

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2016, 06:29:39 PM »
Swamp Rat 16 (1972): Built in the fall of 1971, this car benefited from the knowledge gained from SR 14 and from other Garlits rear-engine customers such as McEwen, Chris Karamesines, and Jim Walther. The car actually debuted with a runner-up at the 1971 AHRA World Finals in Fremont, Calif., and won the 1972 Gatornationals, Garlits' first triumph at his home-state race, an event he would win four times, and the IHRA Winternationals. This car also famously was photographed on the deck of the aircraft carrier Lexington for a U.S. Navy promotional poster and was retired at the end of the season. It, too, went on display in the Florida Sports Hall of Fame and made a few other stops before coming home to the museum.
From NHRA.

Swamp Rat 16: the first RE car built by Connie Swingle, Tom Lemons and me after the prototype RE car, SR 14. This was a super car and was nearly destroyed when the wing collapsed at the Gatornationals in 1972. We won that race beating out Clayton Harris in the final. The car was famous for its “Fire burnouts” that Tom Lemons perfected. When retired, #16 was loaned to the Florida Sports Hall of Fame then located at Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven Florida. When this HOF closed we got the car back. It was recently loaned to Bristol Motor Speedway, but since has been moved to the Gilmore Museum in Michigan for a Drag Racing display. Swamp Rat 16 will return to the Drag Racing Museum in Ocala sometime in 2010.
From Don's site.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2016, 06:41:22 PM »
Swamp Rat 17: When Robert “Jocko” Johnson saw that I was having success with the RE Car, SR 14, he called me and asked if I would like for him to build a streamliner body for one of my RE chassis. I said yes and the project was underway. Jocko built a very nice fiberglass body and Swingle built the frame and by the end of 1972 we were ready to test. I debuted the car at the AHRA Grand American at OCIR and Butch Mass drove the beast to 180 MPH, far off the highly touted 275 MPH! We brought the car home and tested the next time at Lakeland DS, outside of Tampa and Don “Mad Dog” Cook was at the controls. Still no real good runs. I then decided to drive the car myself and to my surprise at about 180 MPH the motor revved up and I lifted. We returned to the pits to find nothing was wrong! What had happened was; at about 180 MPH, the whole car became airborne and as the rear wheels cleared the pavement, the engine would reeve up. I pulled the plug on the project and sold the car to Russell Mendez, who was killed later at Gainesville in his rocket car. His partner, Ramon Alverez got the car and I bought it back when we got the Museum going in 1976. Willie Wild and I restored the car and it is on display in the Drag Racing Museum.
From Don's site.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2016, 06:47:27 PM »
Swamp Rat 17

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2016, 06:55:35 PM »
Swamp Rat 18: Connie Swingle and I built Shorty, (175″ wheelbase) prior to fielding Swamp Rat 17, the “WynnsLiner”. This was to give me a feel for the short wheelbase car. I ran Shorty at Bristol, Tulsa and Orange County Raceway, qualified at all events, but had no wins. The car was hard to drive and did not have enough weight on the rear tires. Jocko said the weight of the streamlined body and it’s aerodynamic down force would take care of that problem. I sold the car to some young fellows and they made a gas dragster out of Shorty. It was many years before I saw an ad in National Dragster that the car was for sale. I purchased Shorty and Jim Hunnewell and I restored it back to original in running condition. It is in the Drag Racing Museum on display.
From Don's site.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2016, 06:56:01 PM »
Swamp Rat 18.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2016, 01:15:29 PM »
Few more.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2016, 01:16:08 PM »
Fire

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2016, 01:17:12 PM »
Fire

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2016, 01:18:27 PM »
Few more.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2016, 08:33:29 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2016, 08:34:27 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2016, 08:40:12 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2016, 08:41:04 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2016, 08:41:47 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2016, 08:43:39 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2016, 08:45:14 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2016, 08:47:02 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2016, 08:49:41 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2016, 08:53:04 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2016, 08:56:19 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2016, 09:00:25 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2016, 09:04:27 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2016, 09:06:21 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2016, 09:08:14 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2016, 09:09:58 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2016, 09:11:52 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2016, 09:13:33 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2016, 09:15:31 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2016, 09:17:13 PM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2016, 12:47:46 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2016, 12:48:46 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2016, 12:49:57 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2016, 12:51:33 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2016, 12:52:31 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2016, 12:53:42 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2016, 12:54:36 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2016, 12:55:33 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2016, 12:58:24 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2016, 12:59:40 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2016, 01:00:59 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2016, 01:02:02 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2016, 01:03:25 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2016, 01:04:23 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2016, 01:06:09 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2016, 01:07:07 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2016, 01:08:18 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2016, 01:09:17 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2016, 01:10:10 AM »
Garlits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2016, 01:10:44 AM »
Big Daddy's tracks down the 1320

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2016, 01:12:01 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2016, 01:13:12 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2016, 01:14:26 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2016, 01:15:31 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2016, 01:17:02 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2016, 01:18:12 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2016, 01:19:18 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2016, 01:20:31 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2016, 01:21:50 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2016, 01:23:26 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2016, 01:24:39 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2016, 01:26:30 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2016, 01:27:47 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2016, 01:29:32 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2016, 01:30:47 AM »
Big Daddy.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2016, 01:31:16 AM »
Big Daddy.

jnaki

« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
Hello,
     We all know the well documented Don Garlits’ history.  This is our recollection of what we saw during the time period from 59-60.  (Including the world famous race against Art Chrisman at the 59 Riverside Raceway drag meet. Look at the starting line difference and the unfair start. Controversy then and now) I was able to get near the start line to film this East vs West race between the top racers of this time period.

Jnaki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9xR0nYbZ5M&feature=youtu.be

jnaki

jnaki

« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2016, 06:55:54 AM »
Hello,
     Here is the rest of the compilation of Don Garlits’ travels through So Cal during 59-60.  (Riverside, Bakersfield and Lions dragstrips.)  We were lucky enough to be there when he traveled all the way across the USA to race the best of the west coast racers. At the time, it was impressive to see someone other than the fast local racers making smoking runs down the strip.   In Bakersfield 1960, Art Malone drove the FED. Controversy or not, these big time meets were the best in the west during these early times.  To a teenage race car aficionado, it was good time to see a little bit of history in the making. 
Jnaki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabxyKFNar0&feature=youtu.be

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »
JUNE 10 1958 1st Annual Southern Invitational Drag Races

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »
JUNE 10 1958 1st Annual Southern Invitational Drag Races

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »
Garlits Polka Dart & Grand Bend Dragway Race Result.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2017, 08:51:39 PM »
Another

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »
Big.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2017, 03:07:28 PM »
Garlits

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2017, 10:31:27 PM »
Garlits

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
Garlits

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #141 on: Yesterday at 09:15:22 PM »
Another
I have an original issue unbuilt  MPC model kit of this car in my closet. For a long time, this was a REALLY rare kit, but from what I understand, it has recently been re-issued.