Eddie Dye roadster

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
Eddie Dye roadster
« on: May 24, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
My favorite of the 'custom' era for A roadsters.   I'd never seen a color pic until I discovered this magazine.  I bought the issue thinking that there would be a feature; not so.  Just the cover, but it's still cool

Tom

• Administrator
Re: Eddie Dye roadster
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 03:05:47 PM »
another pic

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »
A couple of pics of the restoration underway at Don Orosco's

duaneshotrods

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »
Hop Up.
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
A little later in life.
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 06:15:23 PM »
The two pictures "under construction" were at Don Fretwell's shop in 1983 in Santa Barbara California, when the "real" nose was being put on Fullers car by Don.

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
Also I own the yellow fiberglass 32 shell that was on it in the last photo when Tom Branch owned it.  Funny how these cars make the rounds.

flatheadv8s

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 11:27:55 PM »
It was sitting at South City Rod & Custom.
Life is like a toilet roll. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 12:03:16 AM »
Please note that the nose shown in the above photo was built by Willie Stryker from Petaluma and the original nose was sold during the period of time that the car was transformed into the street rod painted in red with bucket t side pipes with the fiberglass chopped 32 shell by Roger Brousseau prior to Tom Branch owning it and them subsequently going to Orosco's shop here in Monterey where I watched the restoration work started prior to its sale again.  Refer to pages 46 through 53 of HOT ROD MILESTONES by Ken Gross and Robert Genat.  I received the old build pictures directly from Don Fretwell and posted them to another blog about 6 months ago.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 06:42:09 AM »
Thanks for the history !  What happened to the original front ?

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
It was placed as in the two black and white photos on the nose of the Fuller car when Don built it in 83.  The car was brought up to Monterey for use in looking at the original nose.  I sat in the car while it was here and Fretwell did an incredible job of making a 29 belly pan car comfortable.  I guess that it's back in Santa Barbara painted black.

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 07:57:36 AM »
I't early in the morning (for me), and I was looking for some early 30 gauge photos in my files and found the third photo of Fuller's car in Fretwell's shop.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »
I't early in the morning (for me), and I was looking for some early 30 gauge photos in my files and found the third photo of Fuller's car in Fretwell's shop.

Thanks for sharing the pic !

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 07:50:11 PM »
A few more.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 07:55:37 PM »
A few more.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
3 more

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 01:29:02 AM »
Great Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 12:55:28 AM »
South City Rod & Custom

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »
South City Rod & Custom

I thought that it was being restored at Orosco's shop. 

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »
The Eddie Dye Roadster was purchased as the Tom Branch Roadster years ago from Don.  Recognizing the original car, Don called (I can't remember) in Santa Barbara and had the similar roadster the Don Fretwell (RIP-2/28/17) built utilizing the original nose to come up and an entire new nose, hood, and lower panels were fabricated by Willie Stryker with the help of Fretwell.  As shown on page 46 and 47 of the "HOT ROD MILESTONE" book, the car sat in Orosco's staged ready to move on to restoration.  It was subsequently sold and moved to it's present location.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
The Eddie Dye Roadster was purchased as the Tom Branch Roadster years ago from Don.  Recognizing the original car, Don called (I can't remember) in Santa Barbara and had the similar roadster the Don Fretwell (RIP-2/28/17) built utilizing the original nose to come up and an entire new nose, hood, and lower panels were fabricated by Willie Stryker with the help of Fretwell.  As shown on page 46 and 47 of the "HOT ROD MILESTONE" book, the car sat in Orosco's staged ready to move on to restoration.  It was subsequently sold and moved to it's present location.

Thanks for filling in the blanks.  Glad to see it's finally being restored.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 02:21:01 PM »
South City Rod & Custom

same here. Interesting. Man, I look forward to seeing this car returned to its former glory.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »

South City Rod & Custom

Those were taken yrs ago.It has since moved on.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »

South City Rod & Custom

Those were taken yrs ago.It has since moved on.
Do you know what its current status is?

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
Personally, I have always much preferred the Dye car to the much more famous Flint car. Neat thread.

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2017, 11:35:58 PM »
Of all of the "nose" cars of the day, the Fretwell version of the Dye car utilizing the original nose was, by far, the most comfortable of all of them.  The Orosco redo of the Flint/Kofoed roadster after the frame was re-engineered by Don Fretwell, allowed the driver to sit "down in the roadster" and thereby created a more comfortable driving experience.   And yes, I agree...the Dye roadster was beautiful and arguably a better exterior design.  However the Flint Roadster got far more "ink".