Tony Nancy

Tony Nancy
« on: May 24, 2015, 01:40:15 PM »
My All Time Hero…. His Cars, his persona.. always been a favourite of mine.If i ever do my Drag Roadster….. it will be fashioned after his style.Speed and Beauty must walk hand in hand.
"Battle Speed!"

Re: Tony Nancy
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »
A few more.

"Battle Speed!"

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
Tony and his cars ruled.  8)
"Battle Speed!"

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 01:48:43 PM »
early Jr

"Battle Speed!"

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »
One of the coolest '29 roadsters ever !   I had the fortune of seeing it on it's way to California for the restoration; a guy was hauling some parts for me from NJ; the roadster was also on the trailer.  Stupid me; I didn't think to take a pic, but the image is etched in my mind.  It was just a bare shell on a rolling chassis, but you could see the from the cowl louvers and drilled frame rails that it was 22jr.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »
That is very cool Tom.
I love the guys history…..
"Battle Speed!"

DavyJ

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 08:16:53 PM »
Here is a pic I took of a clone at Del Mar in 08 ............ if I had been quicker, Don Prudhomme was checking out the car when I walked up..............
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

29bowtie

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 10:22:36 PM »
Beautiful and functional at it's finest!
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

flatheadv8s

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 12:39:00 AM »
A few I've saved over the years.
Life is like a toilet roll. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

hot rod henry

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 02:11:32 AM »
 he was a great hot rodder and racer , he visited australia and was ahead of his time

flatheadv8s

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »
Some of His other dragsters.

flatheadv8s

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »
Tony at Lions.

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 06:44:52 AM »
Great Stuff!
"Battle Speed!"

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 01:15:51 PM »
Cover of Hot Rod Aug. 1964.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 01:17:32 PM »
Only pic I have of it in red.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 01:25:16 PM »
Cover of Car Craft.
Now with Olds power & a rear wing.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »
1 of my favorites of Tony.Think they made a poster of this shot.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 01:33:33 PM »
Liner without paint.

29bowtie

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 09:48:52 PM »
Tony Nancy, downtown Hollywood!

29bowtie

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 11:26:45 PM »
 ;)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 11:54:02 PM »
Tony.Rip

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 11:58:47 PM »
A few more.

lurker mick

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 01:27:55 PM »
Tony's 22jr Buick powered roadster just sold at auction for $50,000, about half of what i thought it would bring.

Mick

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 04:58:41 PM »
Tony's 22jr Buick powered roadster just sold at auction for $50,000, about half of what i thought it would bring.

Mick
Wow.A few yrs back it sold for I think a buck fifty.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 04:33:39 PM »
A few more of 'The Loner'.

hot rod henry

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 03:21:09 PM »
great photos of the master

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
Tony.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 03:08:35 PM »
They called him "The Loner"
By Ken Gross June, 2005
A renaissance man with a DA haircut and beaucoup tattoos. Tony Nancy could do it all, from upholstery to paint, to engine and chassis building, to driving and winning. When he died last November 11th, after a lengthy illness, the world of hot rodding lost a truly unique individual. Tony's upholstery shop on Ventura Blvd. in Sherman Oaks was known for some of the coolest custom interiors of the Fifties and Sixties. In those days, we called a clean, well-built, neatly turned-out car "sanitary." Tough Tony could have invented the term.

He and his cars appeared on magazine covers many times. Ford had stopped building flatheads four years earlier. But here's Tony, with his blazing orange center-steered roadster, the first of his famed 22jr.'s, with a '29 A body on a drilled and lightened '32 frame. The 256-cu.in. flatty is a 33/8 bore, destroked 1/8th-inch screamer that Tom Sparks first built for the Sparks and Bonney multi-trophied Willys drag coupe. Its Italmeccanica blower ran three drilled-out 97s, an H&C mag, steel main caps, screw-in valve seats, hand-lapped pistons, and reportedly swilled down a gallon of 70 percent nitro fuel mix for each quarter-mile pass. Despite the fragile '39 Ford box and Zephyr cluster, Tony held the X-Fuel class ET and top speed records, turning consistent 135-136-mph runs in the high 10s. "Flatheads forever?," asked one editor. "Some folks are still wondering after Tony's A/ V-8 swamped a big 400-cu.in. Chrysler-powered roadster at recent drags."

Fast forward to April 1960. Tony's next effort, a featherweight, 1,550-lb. '29 on a Kent Fuller-built tubular frame, with Halibrand wheels, ran a C-T Automotive 4-inch stroked 450-cu.in. Buick nailhead, set back 25 percent of the wheelbase. The stunning, center-steered Buford ran Hilborn fuel injection, a Scintilla Vertex mag and an Isky cam, and started setting records right out of the box. Dzus fasteners permitted quick removal of the complete hood assembly and the cowl, so Tony could tune the motor between runs. He's pictured on a magazine cover, with a good-looking blonde (his wife Lillian). A see-through plexiglass insert in the Model A grille shell sported a prancing seahorse, but there was nothing mincey about this car...or its dedicated driver. (Both 22jr. Roadsters are restored today for all to admire. They're owned by Dan La Croix of North Dighton, Massachusetts).

In August 1962, Tony and Lillian were back in the magazines in a feature called "Tony tailors a Tiger." His latest effort was a 169-mph '23 T roadster, with its body set way back on another custom Kent Fuller tube frame. You could see this one coming...with its Lincoln Matador Red finish and striping by the great Dean Jeffries. And you could hear the GMC 6-71-blown, short-stacked, 580-bhp Buick powerplant a mile away. M&H slicks on fat Halibrands in back, with skinny Pirellis on wire wheels in front, helped this quick little scoot resemble a dragster more than a roadster. At 1,340 pounds, it was actually too light for NHRA A/Modified Roadster competition. But that didn't stop Tony.

A graduate of Hollywood High School, Tony Nancy began quarter-mile racing after building a rapid rep at El Mirage Dry Lake when he was just a speed-crazy kid. He was a member of the well-known Throttle Merchants Club, in the San Fernando Valley. Always competitive, Tony's best finish was when he won the Competition Eliminator title at the 1963 NHRA Winternationals. That Pomona-winning ride was a blown and injected Plymouth-powered AA/C '23-T Modified roadster. Just as impressively, he also won Best Engineered car at the same event with his first dragster, a Top Gas, wedge-powered digger that helped him hold the Drag News No. 1 spot for nearly a year. How he ever kept his upholstery shop going was a mystery. Ever on the go, Tony drag raced in Australia, Japan and Germany, and was the captain of the U.S. drag racing team that toured Europe in 1964.

They called him "The Loner" because he could literally field a car by himself. He always wanted to go faster, and if that required an unconventional approach, he never hesitated. Tony was one of the pioneers in rear-engined dragsters with his Wedge and Wedge II AA/GD fully enclosed rails built between 1963-1965. Built by Frank Huszar and Roy Steen, to automotive artist Steve Swaja's design, the first Max Wedge ran a 482-cu.in. Plymouth and turned 187.00 mph. Tony totaled that car in Sandusky, Ohio, in the summer of 1963. Its replacement, better known as the hemi-Wedge, ran a 426 Hemi on gas, turning times in the low 8s with speeds approaching 190 mph. The restored Wedge II has been on display at the NHRA Museum in Pomona.

By 1967, Tony's AA/gas dragster had evolved into a rear-engined, blown Olds (sometimes Chevy-powered) hauler that was a frequent winner with a best E.T. of 6.32 seconds at 218.00 mph. Tony entered the Top Fuel ranks in 1970, was runner-up to Larry Dixon at that year's Winternationals, and two months later, he defeated a strong 32-car field to win the Bakersfield U.S. Fuel and Gas Championships, with a 6.75/321.36 pass-the last time anyone did so with a front-engined dragster. Tony was always a popular competitor and a force to be reckoned with, thanks to his own remarkable skills and deep-pocket sponsors like Revell and Wynn's. The runner-up in Bakersfield in 1974 and 1976, he liked to say he'd set at least one record or Drag News 1320 mark in every class in which he competed. Not many people know he was an accomplished stunt driver for the film industry. But why would you be surprised?

After the 1976 March Meet, Tony Nancy retired to focus on his upholstery business. His star-studded client list included Hollywood personalities like Clark Gable, James Garner, Steve McQueen and Burt Reynolds. Tony was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 1997 California Hot Rod Reunion, and he was Grand Marshall for the Goodguys 44th March Meet in 2003 at Famoso Raceway.

I have a personal memory to share. When we had our first hot rod class at the Concours on Rodeo, where I was chief judge, I asked Tony to be one of the hot rod judges. Of course, I insisted that my just-completed '32 roadster be exempt from judging. When the results came in, Tony said, "Your car is the best f***in' one, so it wins, as far as I'm concerned." Cool heads prevailed, and another roadster was given the prize. But that was Tony Nancy: always sure of himself, uncompromising and tough. He'll be greatly missed.

Tony Nancy 1960 Eric Rickman Photo's

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »

Mick
Tony Nancy's Nailhead Roadster Goes Up for Auction in Scottsdale
Mark Ewing
Contributor
Tony Nancy was a leading light of Southern California hot rodding. In the mid-1960s he led the way with his mid-rear-engine top fuel car, the Wedge II. He was a consummate fabricator and designer, and his cars were regularly featured on the cover of Hot Rod magazine. He was so good, he earned the nickname the “Loner” because he needed no one’s help to design, construct and race a drag car. He was not a dominant winner in National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) events, but you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone still alive from that golden era that does not state his name with reverence.

Gooding & Company has one of Nancy’s center-seat lightweight roadsters up for auction in Scottsdale. Nancy’s Ford flathead-powered 1929 Model A Roadster made his reputation. Its successor, this 1929 on a Kent Fuller-built lightweight, chrome-moly tubular chassis, ran a stroked 450 cubic inch Buick “nailhead” V8, set back in the chassis for improved weight distribution.

The car weighs just 1,550 pounds. It ran the quarter in the low 10-second range at 138 mph, matching performance cars of today like the McLaren 675LT and Ferrari 488GTB. Later, Nancy fitted it with a 6-71 blower and an Enderle injector and achieved 144-plus mph. Dan LaCroix found and restored both of Mr. Nancy’s 22 Jr. Model A Roadsters in the 1990s, with this car subsequently garnering multiple awards from the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA).

Nancy supported himself later in life with an upholstery shop located on Ventura Boulevard in Sherman Oaks. When one of my writers and I interviewed him long ago, he modestly called himself “a trimmer,” a man who works upholstery. Considering he created seats for NASA and land speed record cars, his modesty staggers. He worked on cars owned by Clark Gable, John Wayne, and Steve McQueen.

As a young magazine editor, I worked with the former publisher of Hot Rod, who was also involved with the development of the Keith Black Hemi V8. He was a 1950s hot rodder from Pasadena, and he participated in drag racing’s overseas promotional tours. Whereas my wild publisher, who had flown Grumman Panthers off carrier decks during the Korean war before going back to USC for an engineering degree, was prone to making trouble in the most amusing way, Nancy was always to the point with no nonsense, and he led the drag racing tour of Europe in the 1960s. My publisher told me a wild tale about how he and several of his fellow drag racers ended up in a Spanish jail because they spent an evening dancing drunk on a table with a Spanish flag draped over them, entertaining a group of English tourists. Supposedly it was Tony Nancy who helped get them out of klink.

Tony Nancy was the real deal, as strong as anyone else that Southern California produced in the 1950s and ‘60s. Dan Gurney, Phil Hill, Richie Ginther and Ronnie Bucknum made it to Formula One in the 1960s. Tony Nancy had star power and respect of equal measure in the drag racing world. The car on auction in Scottsdale is not a likely candidate for runs down to the malt shop with your young daughter. It’s a single-seat racer, and presumably still brutally quick if let off the leash. But if you want to own a piece of Southern California performance history, a car that will demand the most of anyone who wants to launch it down a quarter-mile at a vintage event, this rates among the rare few.

Photos by Brian Henniker and courtesy of Gooding & Co

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »
The Wedge II Dragster
From Museum of American Speed.

Est. 1,500 bhp 486 cu. in. 6-71-supercharged Wedge head, Plymouth V8 engine, solid front axle with torsion bars, solid rear axle, two-wheel hydraulic rear brakes. Wheelbase: 146"

Organized quarter-mile drag racing began in the ‘50s. Conventional hot rods quickly evolved into specialized “rail jobs”. As speeds rose, long-chassis, front-engine slingshots were the fastest contenders and biggest crowd-pleasers. But despite safety advances, Top Fuel dragsters running on unstable nitro-methane were highly dangerous. Stretched to their limit, blown, big displacement engines, mounted right in front of a hapless driver, were grenades, ready to explode within seconds on a flat-out run.

Tony Nancy, never one to persist with conventional approaches, mounted his Buick-powered ’29 A roadster on an abbreviated Kent Fuller dragster chassis. He’d tried slingshots, and understood their shortcomings. In 1963, when he decided to build a seriously different digger, he intuitively reasoned there had to be a better way to travel the quarter-mile than looking sideways around a towering blown motor, not to mention its inherent risk of violent detonation.

So Tony became a pioneer in rear-engined dragsters. From 1963 to 1965, he campaigned an innovative duo of enclosed, streamlined, Steve Swaja designs, built by Emil Deidt and Wayne Ewing, on completely heliarc-ed Race Car Specialties chassis. Featured on the cover of Hot Rod magazine in August 1964, Tony’s first Max Wedge ran a 6-71 blown and injected, 486 cubic inch Plymouth V8 and turned 187.00 mph on gas. The radical-looking rail featured a wedge-shaped, partially-enclosed body. Tony hunkered down in front of the motor with an unencumbered view of the strip. Huge slicks straddled an Olds rear, with a narrow, 25-inch tread and torsion bar suspension. Each rear wheel was adjustable for load, and the chassis could be precisely jacked to compensate for torque differences. Twin Girling master cylinders choreographed the Airheart spot disc brakes and the Schiefer double-valve disc clutch.

The massive Plymouth was drilled .040 over a 4.25-in bore, with a 4.25-in Reath stroker crank. Harman and Collins align-bored the block, installed full floating wrist pins and balanced the works. Rogers Porting Service hogged out the hemi heads from 92-ccs to 106-ccs. Dick Harryman set up the blower, overdriven 19 percent over engine speed, and a Joe Hunt magneto fired 38 degrees before TDC. Nothing but the best would do: Chet Herbert cam, Enderle injection, Ansen forged pistons, Pedrick rings – little wonder Tony’s new toy, in his words, “handles just like a great big go-kart.”

Tony totaled the first Wedge at Sandusky, Ohio, in 1963, when he endo-ed after bouncing through a dipsy doodle at the end of the strip, at over 200 mph. “I remember ducking and waiting to see that the grass was no longer moving,” he told HRM’s Gray Baskerville. “The instant I punched the harness, I fell out of what was left of my upside down car.” Unhurt, brave as ever, he couldn’t wait to build another. The Wedge II, also known as the Hemi-Wedge, ran several engines at different times – first a stroked Plymouth Wedge again, then a blown 426 Chrysler Hemi, turning in the low 8s, in just under 190-mph, and ultimately a 6-71-blown Olds.

Applying lessons learned, Tony tried solid rear suspension for Wedge II, and installed a small rear wing to keep the rear firmly planted. Truly America’s international Ambassador of Drag Racing, he raced the new car in England, Germany, Italy, Japan and Australia. On the straightaway at Monza, despite threatening rain, Tony hit 187-mph, 192-mph, then 195-mph, on three successive runs, shattering existing Italian 400-meter acceleration records.

In 2001, he told Gray Baskerville, “I would later learn that [Don] Garlits was closely watching my Wedge every time I ran.” The Wedge design, inherently safer, would track straight and, in Tony’s inimitable words, “…top end like mad, but elapsed times were sh%#&y.” When Tony decided to compete in the AA/Top Fuel Class, he reverted to a new, front-engine design. The record-setting Wedge was stored; Tony later restored it to its original configuration. It would take several more years, and Don Garlits’s horrific accident in a front-engine Top Fueler, before Garlits and other pros realized Tony had really been on to something, six years before. Perfect today, looking just like it did on the cover of Hot Rod, with its big, blown Plymouth ready to cackle, the Wedge II remains a fascinating example of drag racing ingenuity.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 05:08:05 PM »
Tony.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2016, 08:52:01 PM »
The Loner.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »
Cool T shirt.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2016, 08:58:34 PM »
The Loner.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2016, 09:02:55 PM »
The Loner.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2016, 09:13:02 PM »
The Loner.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
Nancy's 22 JR.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »
The Loner.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2016, 09:21:37 PM »
Tony & the love of his life.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2016, 03:56:36 PM »
The restored dragster.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2016, 04:02:37 PM »
A few more.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 05:20:33 PM »
Tony Nancy talks to Car Craft magazine's Dick Day about the 22jr Dragster. Photo by Pat Brollier

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2017, 01:05:28 AM »
Tony Nancy

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2017, 10:50:33 PM »
Just scanned this from Fremont.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
Just scanned this.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »
Tony.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2017, 01:26:42 AM »
Tony Nancy

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »
Tony Nancy