'34 3-window project

nostalgia59

Re: '34 3-window project
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »
Here is the best looking coupe from the 50's....

nostalgia59

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
This one is cool also....

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
Here is the best looking coupe from the 50's....

Thanks, Lynn.  Yes that's my favorite full-fendered coupe from any era.  I'm going to steal some ideas from this coupe - rounded doors & deck lid for one, possibly the chop, and maybe more.

VAPHEAD

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 01:33:16 AM »
Tom,good to see you have a new project. Everybody should have at least one,right?
Talk with you soon..

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 09:28:56 AM »
Eric, good to see you here.

Fendered vs non-fendered - that decision has still not been made.  So, instead of stagnating, I'm moving on to 1) initial bodywork and 2) drivetrain.  Bodywork will start soon.  Drivetrain - I have a couple of '36 LB flatheads in my garage, but they're going to a future project.  Plus I've run a flathead in a past hot rod, so that's old news.  I'm wanting to learn something new, which means SBC and flatheads are out.  So the hunts begins - Poncho ?  Buick ?  Olds ?  Another factor is availability of parts.  I don't want to break down in Bokachita OK and have to have my car trailered home just because of a simple part.  Of course another factor is just plain availability of the engine.  That's next.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 10:02:51 PM »
I haven't posted on this project for almost a year !  But I have made a little progress.  I now have all of the gennie parts - dash, windshield frame, hood, inner fender panels, plus a few other odds & ends.  I thought that I had a line on a good nailhead, but the owner won't sell. 

32drifter

• Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R. Tolkien
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 09:33:27 AM »
Tom, just wondered if there is anymore to report on the '34 project. Like to know what's happening.  Here's my 2 cents worth [that's about what it's worth] I like slant-chops better also! [see pic.] Hope you keep the door hinges, cowl vent, etc. It keeps the rod from looking like Tupperware that way! I made that mistake when building mine. I removed the door hinges because my wooden B-pillers were just gone SO I replaced them with metal and it was just easier to remove the hinges. ALMOST filled the cowl vent but thought better of it. [ SO glad I didn't] BUT people still ask if it's steel OR Tupperware. How about a small block Ford? [ you'll have to leave the hood closed ...LOL  but I sure like mine in the deuce. That's different but lots of parts. Ford in a Ford how strange! GOOD LUCK with the '34 and hope to get to see what's next!

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »
Funny I was just talking to Beppie yesterday about my coupe.  NICE chop btw; please post some info regarding how it was done, etc.

Yes I'm keeping the hinges, cowl vent, top insert, and stock hood sides.   Several years ago, when the smoothie look was in, I met someone who built a beautiful deuce 3-window, top quality car all the way, but he spent so much time and effort removing hinges, filling seams, etc., that the car ended up looking like a 'glass car.  I'm not going to make that mistake.

A ton of personal issues have arisen in the last 2 months which absolutely halted progress, however that is starting to settle down and I am currently in talks with a builder to get this project underway.  More to come - soon !

Here's a few pics of coupes which I am gleaning some ideas.  George Hale's '33 with '34 grille, Chapouris' California Kid, Vinther's coupe, and Jerry Berg's coupe.  You can see that I still have 2 main choices - Wheels/tires and Fenders/not...

32drifter

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »
Here's a few examples:

32drifter

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »
More:

32drifter

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 01:00:14 PM »
One more slant chop:

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 01:02:07 PM »
Thanks !  Regarding the yellow coupe you posted - do you see the dogleg in the A-pillar ?  It's a nice car, but the windshield won't seal unless the bottom of the windshield opening is not slanted.  I like your chop better.

So what'll it be, 2", 2 1/2", or 3" ?  3" is the max as I'm 6'2" and I don't want to slouch to drive.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 01:03:27 PM »
1 clarification - I want the windshield to be slanted, NOT the chop.  The amount of chop will be even so that the roof lays flat, not slanted.

32drifter

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 01:30:06 PM »
My coupe has that dog leg also... wish it didn't; but I've never had trouble with leaks. Some like it though because they say it gives it that hammered salt flats look. I like more chopped out of the front and a little less in the back. [that's how mine is] And as you know seat height makes a BIG difference in visibility. My view from inside has never been a problem. [ except red lights!] LOL

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »
My coupe has that dog leg also... wish it didn't; but I've never had trouble with leaks. Some like it though because they say it gives it that hammered salt flats look.

Good point - it does make it look nasty !  Do you have any in-progress pics ?  I'd like to see how the A-pillars were altered to avoid the leaks.

32drifter

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »
Good point - it does make it look nasty !  Do you have any in-progress pics ?  I'd like to see how the A-pillars were altered to avoid the leaks.              Tom, can't help much my top was chopped back in the 60s... I just used a rubber strip behind the regular windshield seal... on the body itself. Not the best solution but it works! And you can't see it at all.