'34 3-window project

Tom

• Administrator
'34 3-window project
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:12:19 AM »
I sold my deuce tudor to get the car that I've wanted since '73, when I first saw Jake's coupe in person at the Tulsa NSRA Nats.  Here's the start.  Some assembly required:

Tom

• Administrator
Re: '34 3-window project
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »
Doors need some serious help, but the Walden panels were part of the package.  One of the doors has had the inner panel cut up; the patch is also supplied. 

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:15:27 AM »
New wood kits, garnish moldings, ...

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:16:47 AM »
Plus a set of fenders and misc parts/patch panels

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »
Now what ?  That's the big question; I've been swamped with work, getting this site up & running, running my 2 girls to swim meets, karate meets, volleyball, piano, ad nauseum..., plus I've started building web sites for folks as well.

So, I really haven't spent a lot of time on 'the look'.  A few things for certain - I have a nice '34 grille and am definitely using it.  It will be chopped...  It will NOT be channeled - sorry Chris !

Fendered or fenderless, I have not decided yet.  Also I have not decided on the engine.  I have a couple of '36 LB flatheads sitting in my garage, but am leaning towards an overhead.  Mags or steelies ?  Paint color ?  (yes it will be painted & upholstered).

So, the design process begins !  I'll start a separate pic thread  ;)

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »
HERE'S  SOME  HELP . NO STEELIE'S , NO FLATHEAD,& NO PRIMER.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »
LOOKS  LIKE  A  GREAT  START.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

HOTRODPRIMER

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »
I made a comment on your other thread asking what coupe,,now I know,,looks like a nice piece. HRP

Stovebolt

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 03:12:32 AM »
What a great start - no wonder you sold a deuce sedan to get it.

please - when you chop it - lean the posts, don't extend the roof to meet the A-pillar.

In my opinion, Out of P & J's coupe, as much as I hate to say it, Pete's has the "better" chop.
Why is it that when you think you've got it sorted .....  something else pops up???

Deuce Bill

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »
I've always had a soft spot for a '34 3 windows.  Nice project.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 10:20:52 PM »
What a great start - no wonder you sold a deuce sedan to get it.

please - when you chop it - lean the posts, don't extend the roof to meet the A-pillar.

In my opinion, Out of P & J's coupe, as much as I hate to say it, Pete's has the "better" chop.

No worries, that's how I plan to chop it.  It's a ton more work though; you have to tilt the entire opening for the windshield frame or the windshield won't lay flat.  I haven't decided on exactly how much chop; thinking about 3"

Lil32

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 01:47:30 AM »
Good luck with the build, Tom keep photos coming as you go.
Still crusin after all these years.

DavyJ

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
Tom, we will all be happy to tag along as you progress................Great looking body to start with. As for taking care of the kids, don't worry, they grow up really fast.....................oh, wait a minute, my girls are 33 and 38 and they still run me ragged................... ;D    keep us along for the ride, and thanks again for all the work to create the new site.
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:25 AM »
I got a title with the coupe, so the next step was to get the great & glorious title in MY name...Done !

The next phase, for me, is the overall design, followed by some of the basic body/chassis work required, plus doing a lot of research.  I know that most folks have a vision in mind BEFORE buying the car.  In this case, I have wanted one of these for a long time, and found one at a good price.  Hopefully that explains how I got to where I am now.

Back to the design.  I've been following a couple of build threads on the hamb to get some ideas:
The curbspeed 5-w:  http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542263
Scott Gillen's 3-w: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680044

...and then flamedabone has to put this on the market !  Bitchin' 5-w !
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749455

so_dak_kid

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 11:54:51 PM »
Tom......you could go the highboy unchopped look which Beppie loves  ;) (my dads 3/w)

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
Kurt, your Dad's coupe is sweet.  However it's going to get chopped, even tho it seems every '33-'34 coupe is chopped these days.