When were the Firestone 16" Double Diamond dirt tracker tires used?

Chopped

The big 16" Firestones are one of my favorite high boy tires, I  love the look on the Prufer and Vinther Hot Rods.  I have been going through my Andy Southard books and old Hot Rod and Car Crafts to see when these were first starting to be used on a hot rod?   I recall seeing a pair on the really bitchin 2 tone metal flake gold Model A pickup but I can not find the issue to verify the year of the issue. I have not found much reference on those tires until post 70's.  I was under the impression these started to be used in the 60's, but most of the photos I found of the 60's hot rods had the low profile Indy style tires, (like my older brothers used back then)  I appreciate any input/opinions for those of you that are in the know.
Thanks!

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
Re: When were the Firestone 16" Double Diamond dirt tracker tires used?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »
I first saw them on Jim Jacob's yellow '34 coupe at the 1973 Tulsa NSRA Nats.  It may not have been the first, but this car really kicked off the usage of the dirt trackers.

Chopped

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:20:11 PM »
Tom,
Were the Firestones on Jim Jacobs coupe the big dirt track tires or the tall narrow ones? 
The orange narrow nosed chopped and channeled 3 window built by Jim Ewing ran the big Firestones, I think that was built in the 70's too.  So do you think the Big Dirt track tires were post 70's thing? 

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 11:26:34 PM »
Not sure,but I have a set to let go of.But, I will try to find a answer for you.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

Chopped

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:39:58 PM »
Not sure,but I have a set to let go of.But, I will try to find a answer for you.

I have a very nice pair that I have been saving for the right project, which is the reason for the question.
I always thought they were used in the 60's, but until I started researching it, I have not found any photos of hot rods with the big Dirt trackers like the style Prufer, Ewing and Lobeck used before the 70's.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 01:22:41 AM »

I have a very nice pair that I have been saving for the right project, which is the reason for the question.
I always thought they were used in the 60's, but until I started researching it, I have not found any photos of hot rods with the big Dirt trackers like the style Prufer, Ewing and Lobeck used before the 70's.
  The first to come to mind would be Lobecks roadster & the others followed. Are yours the 11's or the 14's ? The 11's look better on 32's & the 14's on 33 & 34's.But, that's just me. In this pic he was running Goodyears. The threads are cut different than Firestones.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

Fordors

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 10:02:38 AM »
Not to take anything away from the other cars and builders mentioned but I think possibly Bud Bryan's '29 Highboy, and the restorations of the Highland Plating track roadster by Ron Weeks  and the Niekamp AMBR by Jim Jacobs all ran 'stones and might have predated those mentioned. Bryan initially ran large bias-plys, the Highland car ran recapped slicks in the March '62 Hot Rod feature and the early pictures of the Niekamp car all seem to show bias-plys too, but for the run to Memphis in 1971 they all ran dirt trackers.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

Chopped

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »

The first to come to mind would be Lobecks roadster & the others followed. Are yours the 11's or the 14's ? The 11's look better on 32's & the 14's on 33 & 34's.But, that's just me. In this pic he was running Goodyears. The threads are cut different than Firestones.

Mine are the larger 16 x 13" or 13.5"  wide size.  It is a personal preference, but I think these work better on the ETIII's or big Halibrands than the the others.  I have seen the bigger DD's on Jakes coupe with ET's later in the 70's

DavyJ

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 01:15:23 PM »
Judging by this pic that I found on FB it looks like they were in use around the early 50's..........looks like a 52 Ford on the left corner...........
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

roger

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »
Here's Coker's ad on the "double diamond dirt track tire" which is a different tire than the one I see most people (including me) running on their cars.

[/font][/size]

Chopped

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »

Mine are the larger 16 x 13" or 13.5"  wide size.  It is a personal preference, but I think these work better on the ETIII's or big Halibrands than the the others.  I have seen the bigger DD's on Jakes coupe with ET's later in the 70's

Correction, mine are the 14:00x16's.  It appears like the larger Dirt Trackers (what this thread is about) were not manufactured until the mid 60's.   I found an article in one of the Hot Rod annuals the tires appeared on the track in the mid 60's, it is hard telling when they were first used on a street car, but it does not look like they were used much until the 70's & into 80's when the Cop Shop Coupe was debuted in Oakland. 

3 deuces

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »
I saw them on a t highboy in the 50s.If you look in little pages magazines of the 50s and early 60s you will see some.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 10:37:30 PM »
The question should be, when did the dirt track tires tread change, from the perpendicular grooves, to the newer style diagonal groves? The dirt track tires Coker sells are the newer "diagonal" style. I don't know when the diagonal grooves first were used, but my guess would be the late 60's or early 70's. Does anyone know? In the 50's Hot Rod magazines, the cool old hot rods had the perpendicular grooves! Wish these were being reproduced.
Want to buy.......some round, skinny, bias ply tires.

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
This T roadster on the October cover of 1964 Popular Hot Rodding had dirt trackers.  They look like pie crust slicks that have been grooved.  This is the earliest pic I've found so far.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 06:42:29 PM »

Correction, mine are the 14:00x16's.  It appears like the larger Dirt Trackers (what this thread is about) were not manufactured until the mid 60's.   I found an article in one of the Hot Rod annuals the tires appeared on the track in the mid 60's, it is hard telling when they were first used on a street car, but it does not look like they were used much until the 70's & into 80's when the Cop Shop Coupe was debuted in Oakland.
I first saw them in the mid-seventies. Sure as hell were NOT on hot rods in the fifties/early sixties, they didn't even exist then. I think it was really Lobeck that kinda kicked that off, riffing on the look of the Blue Streaks on the Kessler car, but with tread.
Wanted: Used +030 TRW L2249 or Speed Pro 7061P 12.5/1 289/302 ford pistons

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 06:52:23 PM »
Judging by this pic that I found on FB it looks like they were in use around the early 50's..........looks like a 52 Ford on the left corner...........
Those look like x-grooved light truck tires to me. definitely not firestone dirt -trackers, and DEFINATELY not 16x14
Wanted: Used +030 TRW L2249 or Speed Pro 7061P 12.5/1 289/302 ford pistons