'26 T Roadster Project

roger

'26 T Roadster Project
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »
Almost 2 years ago I got bored with my '28 highboy roadster and began building a full fendered '26 roadster.  I was actually looking for a '32 pickup but found this roadster and shelved the pickup idea for a few years.  the roadster is inspired by my high school friend's '26 from pack in the early '60s.  It was powered by a v8-60 with 16" Kelseys.  I've always wanted a Miller/Cragar converted ohv "B" motor  so that's what I'm building this one around.  So here's what I started with and what I've been inspired by.  The red car was my friend Frank's car on the cover of Feb '62 Rod & Custom.

roger

Re: '26 T Roadster Project
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »
The first thing I did was to build a frame table and mount the T frame and the body to the frame table to do the metal work.  This thing was in sad shape and needed major reconstructive surgery to make it an authentic model T again.  For some reason the previous owner cut the turtle deck sub frame then welded the trunk floor to channel and bolted it to the front half of the body and that moved the rear of the body up 1 " off the frame.  Also about the bottom 4" to 7 " had to be replaced all the way around.

roger

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
The fenders were in fair condition but the rears had been modified to fit the relocated turtle deck I mentioned earlier and needed to be restored to original configuration

roger

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »
The deck lid was a major project as I didn't want to ruin the original with louvers so I built one.  I built a frame out of 1/2" square tubing then formed a skin around the frame  using shrinker/stretchers.  I had the skin louvered then welded it to the frame.  I bought a repo stamping of the key hole and welded it in the skin before I had it louvered.  On the stock t deck lid the latch is centered but the key for the latch is offset 1/2" so the diamond is not centered.  Because of the louvers, I centered it on mine.  I also had to make the little corner piece that holds the rubber bumper.

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »
Thanks, Roger.  The roadster is looking good.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »
That's a cool project, nice work.
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

DavyJ

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »
Roger, glad to see a bit more of the build,.  looking good so far.
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

roger

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »
So far, everything you see took place in the first year or so.  Work slowed down last winter because I felt I needed a mill and a lathe. So I took a little break and restored a 11' Logan lathe and a Bridgeport mill while I did work on other people's project.

roger

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 09:18:53 PM »
Several months ago work began in ernest and since I didn't have anyplace to chronicle the build, I don't have a lot of construction pics but I'll resume picture taking.  I finally decided on a Model A frame.  To make it fit the Model T, I narrowed it to 23" in the front and 35" in the back, I stepped it 3" and stretched it 7 1/2" to accept the '37 rear end and model T spring.  Also, because I like the narrow taper of the rear of the frame I turned the frame rails around so the back is now the front.  I narrowed the front cross member and flattened the front of it to be square across the front like the model T was.  So far, I've started to box it and I am making the motor mounts.  Pics of the motor mounts and progression of the boxing will be the next installation.  The mill and the lathe have been valuable additions to my shop.  I cut everything close with the plasma cutter then finish it off on the mill.   Right now I am planning to run 19" by 3" Chrysler wires and the car will be set up very low over the wheels like a "gor job".  and one more thing I aquired you can see in the background is a UCC-305 TIG so I have retired my Miller Econotig which was marginal at best.  I forgot mention that the tranny is a T5

roger

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »
Things might slow down a little now because my 96 year old mother in law ( who lives with us) and my 94 year old mother ( who lives 50 miles away) are in poor health so we spend a lot of time taking car of them.  In the mean time I have a friend, Reed McNutt, who is building a 22 Dodge lakes style roadster with a Cragar converted model B motor.  He is a real craftsman.  Here's a couple shots of his work...
That's a Jeep tower on a Ford top loader 4 speed which he has adapted to the model BB (truck) bell housing.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:44 PM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.
THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS ONE. SAME CAR.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:30:22 PM »
THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR BUILD WITH US.

roger

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.

I would love to have a track style roadster .  My original intent with my '28 was to have a channeled belly panned roadster with a Wayne head GMC motor  but I got side tracked.  I think the brakes on this roadster are worth more than my entire model T project.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.

I would love to have a track style roadster .  My original intent with my '28 was to have a channeled belly panned roadster with a Wayne head GMC motor  but I got side tracked.  I think the brakes on this roadster are worth more than my entire model T project.

LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT THE MOTOR.

roger

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.

I read in the Rodders Journal that this project began with a 4 cylinder.  Any knowledge of it?  An Ardun v8-60 has got to be rare.  Also what other car does this present owner have that I might recognize?

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.

I read in the Rodders Journal that this project began with a 4 cylinder.  Any knowledge of it?  An Ardun v8-60 has got to be rare.  Also what other car does this present owner have that I might recognize?

MAYBE THESE ROGER. JOHN LIKES TO WORK ON HIS STUFF ALSO.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 05:23:20 PM »
I read in the Rodders Journal that this project began with a 4 cylinder.  Any knowledge of it?

ROGER, I'AM NOT SURE IF I HAVE A PIC OF IT. THE PIC OF IT BY THE FORD SIGN IS WHEN HE FIRST GOT IT.

roger

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.

MAYBE THESE ROGER. JOHN LIKES TO WORK ON HIS STUFF ALSO.
I should have known.  At least I recognize the white and purple one.  Also I've seen the 32 with the 348 in the Rodders Journal not too long ago.

langy

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »
Hi Roger just caught this thread, cool project ya got there

roger

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »
Hi Roger just caught this thread, cool project ya got there

Thanks, langy.  I love to see the stuff you build.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »
ANY UP DATES ROGER ?

roger

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 05:05:22 PM »
ANY UP DATES ROGER ?

Nice of you to ask.  I konw it has been a long time since I've posted any progress but I really am working on it when I'm not working on someone else's project.  Yesterday I completed the front and side engine mounts and finished tacking  all the boxing plates in position.  Today I began tig welding the boxing plates.  I'll probably finish that some time this week.   Then I have to figure out the trans mount and cross members.  I think I'm going to shy away from building an X or K member center cross member just because I think it is over kill for a banger ...and its a lot more work than tube cross members.  I'm also considering stress relieving the frame after it is done.  I'm afraid that when I take it out of the jig it is going to spring into the shape of a pretzel.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »
Neat idea to use the donuts for both front & side engine mounts.  Keep us posted on progress, thanks.

roger

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »
Way back in time, there was (and still is) an accessory motor mount called "float-a-motor" that is the same idea.  Because the frame is so narrow I had to sink it into the frame rails with a "half pipe" of sorts.

Stovebolt

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 06:18:01 PM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.

Roger - I'd love to see where you plans lie in this one - I have a Wayne 12 port for a Chev 6, and some Model A parts .......
Why is it that when you think you've got it sorted .....  something else pops up???

roger

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
Well, it's been a while but I finally got back to working on the roadster.  When last we spoke I was boxing the frame rails.  I finished the frame rails and the project basically sat unattended thru the summer.  This last week I located the brake and clutch pedals and fabbed the center x member.  Here's a couple pix of the progress...

VAPHEAD

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »
Looking good, I like it.

roger

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
Seems like I haven't posted any progress in weeks.  So , in the last few weeks I've located the front end, installed the cross over steering, added the trans rear mount , and today I set up and welded the rear radius rods.  Next week I'm going to re-sleeve the bearing surfaces on the ford rear end and order a quick change center section.  I'm at a loss over the QC.  The 2 practical choices seem to be the Rodsville Halibrand clone or the Dick Spadaro/Winters unit.  The drawbacks are the Rodsville is apparently not available right now and the Winters is a low horse power unit since it is not a straddle mount bearing pinion ( built more like a model A than a V8).   I can easily get by with the Winters since this motor should only produce 140 -150 HP at the most.

Stovebolt

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 09:48:46 PM »
Your project is coming along nicely Roger.

I really like the rear ladder bar mounts. From where did you source them?

Another option for a q/c is a Cyclone ;)
Why is it that when you think you've got it sorted .....  something else pops up???

roger

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »
Your project is coming along nicely Roger.

I really like the rear ladder bar mounts. From where did you source them?

Another option for a q/c is a Cyclone ;)

Thanks for your comments Stovebolt.  The ladder bar  brackets are made and sold by So Cal.  They are forged so they weld very nicely.  I've looked at Cyclones but they are a bit pricey.  If one of the other two don't work out that will probably be my choice.

Stovebolt

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 01:39:24 AM »
Thanks - they look like they are made for 3" tubes.

hot rod henry

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 02:30:45 AM »
roger you are certainly no dodger great tradesman like work ,

langy

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 03:18:30 AM »
Thanks for the updates Roger, it all looks very nice, keep the progress coming please

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »
Nice work, Roger !  Glad to see you're making some progress on the T.

Regarding the Winters qc, I thought that those were pretty stout.  Are you talking about part # SR2520?

roger

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2013, 08:43:31 PM »

Regarding the Winters qc, I thought that those were pretty stout.  Are you talking about part # SR2520?

That one is very stout but uses late model axles.  I'm looking at their early ford V8 center pn#SR3620 which appears to be considerably different than the SR2520.

roger

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 02:08:39 PM »
Today I finished sleeveing the bearing surface on the '37 Ford rear end.  I did not take any  in-process pictures only the finished product.  It is a fairly straight forward project if you have access to the right tools.  I annealed the original bearing surface by heating with the torch and slowly cooling.  I then made a plug to fit in the end of the axle housing to hold it with the live center in the lathe.  Fortunately I have a friend with a 16" swing lathe so I cut the hubs down to a .0015 to .002 interference fit.  I heated the sleeves in the oven to about 150 degrees applied a little Locktite and pressed the sleeves on with the press.

hot rod henry

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »
 nice work that welding is as good as you will see ,  location of rear radius rods how do you get that position,

roger

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 04:56:29 PM »
nice work that welding is as good as you will see ,  location of rear radius rods how do you get that position,

Thanks for your compliments,  At 68, my eyesight and steadiness of hand are just not what they used to be so unfortunately my welding is not as pretty as it was once.  Since the frame is so narrow it is hard to do a true ladder bar installation so I located the pivot point of the radius rods in line with the u-joint and the brackets on the rear end far enough outboard to be effective.  The heim joints are 5/8 by 5/8.

To elaborate a little more, this is a stock bodied model T with fenders and splash aprons so the radius rod will not be visible unless you are under the car.

And, the welding ground clamped to the bearing surface was before I re-sleeved the axle housings

roger

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »

That one is very stout but uses late model axles.  I'm looking at their early ford V8 center pn#SR3620 which appears to be considerably different than the SR2520.

I spent some time on the phone today and probably solved my dilema.  The rep from Winters says they use that very same ring and pinion in 500hp race cars with no pinion support and in my installation the weakest link is going to be either the differential or the axles not the unsupported pinion.  They referred me to Dick Spadaro as the exclusive dealer.

Dick Spadaro sells the Winters center section kit with the thru shaft installed, a new 4:11 ring and pinion (pinion installed), one set of spur gears, rear cover, open drive, one carrier bearing(apparently because of the new ring gear),all gaskets and hardware for $1395 plus shipping.  You supply the differential, spider gears, axles.

Now, Rodsville makes a very nice Halibrand clone center section, open drive line.  It includes the machined center section and rear cover with the thru shaft installed.  Cost is $1695 plus shipping.  You supply the ring and pinion, pinion bearings, spur gears, gaskets, hardware, etc. probably another $800 or $150 for the spur gears if you have good donor Ford parts.

The worst part is both are out of stock, and neither will be available until early to mid January which probably means February.

roger

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »
I can't believe it has been over 5 months since I last posted any progress here.  That's what happens when you give your camera to one of your kids.

I ordered the Winters/Spadaro QC in early Dec and I received it in early March.  I must say I am very happy with it for my application and limited horsepower.  Everything is new including the carrier bearings and it comes with a 4-11 ping and pinion.  Once it was semi installed I realized that the car was going to sit too low in the rear so I had a new main leaf made for the model A spring to raise it 1 1/2".  So it is going to sit at that height until I get it running and then I will reevaluate the ride height.  Except for the rear panhard bar and mounting the front and rear houdaille shocks, the frame is nearly complete.  About the only thing hindering real progress now is money.  The big ticket items are coming up.  It will probably cost 4 to 5 times as much to build a Cragar model B as it would to build a sbc chevy. But there's no turning back now.

The body is now located and bolted to the frame and I am now trying to locate and fabricate the running board supports.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2014, 06:07:02 PM »
Nice progress, Roger.   I like the look of the quickchange under the T.

DavyJ

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2014, 08:03:14 PM »
Roger,  good to see you are still making progress. I can just imagine what it takes to build that Cragar motor these days...........Thanks for keeping us involved in that cool roadster!

roger

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »
Roger,  good to see you are still making progress. I can just imagine what it takes to build that Cragar motor these days...........Thanks for keeping us involved in that cool roadster!
Yeah, if you can find an original head cost with inserted mains and rods, pressure oil, etc,  around $8K or more - with a new Steve Serr head figure $10K and up.  Then you can add the cost osf accessories like carbs and starters, etc.  I may be selling my '28 to finance the '26.

roger

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2015, 07:36:46 PM »
Although my progress reports are few and far between, I really have been working on this project over the past year and I expect to pick up the pace in the months ahead. So the progress reports should begin to increase in frequency in the near future.  A couple days a go I finally bought the one part that has really been missing from this build... An original Cragar Head.

DavyJ

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2015, 07:56:30 PM »
Roger, what a great piece to compliment that fine roadster! congrats on getting that!

Bob J

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2015, 10:02:53 PM »
It's going to be fun watching this car come together!  Keep us posted. 
Handles, hinges and horsepower

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2015, 10:58:24 PM »
The head looks to be in great condition.  Thanks for the update!

roger

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
Most of the Kelsey Hayes wire wheels you can buy at a swap meet are in pretty bad shape these days. I've been buying them for a few years now, trying to get a good set for the T roadster.  Every wheel I have had something wrong with it so in late June I contacted Gary at Pico Wheel in Chatsworth, Ca. Early in July I delivered 9 (sand blasted) wheels to him with instructions to straighten and true as many as he could and widen two of them from 4" to 5". Today I picked up 7 straightened and trued wheels, two of them were widened to 5". Two of the wheels I took him were not worth saving. He did a very nice job of straightening, truing and widening these wheels. The widening process involved cutting the inner rim off a donor wheel and welding it to the inside of the my wheel.  I'm very happy with the job he did and Monday it's off to the powder coater.[/font][/size]

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2015, 12:07:52 AM »
Roger,
 Thanks for letting us in on a great build.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2015, 01:08:48 AM »
He does nice work!  Glad to see progress on the roadster.

DavyJ

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2015, 02:48:56 PM »
those wires will work perfect on that roadster.......glad to see you back at it.......

roger

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.... I'm always here plugging away but as you all know, other projects often take priority.  As I've mentioned before, my T is inspired by this one.

roger

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2015, 07:30:37 PM »
Got my wheels back from the powder coater... not the best job but they will work with stainless beauty rims.  If you look closely you can see the red bleed thru from the previous paint which was not fully sand blasted before the power was applied.  It's really hard when you are a control freak and things get out of hand.

roger

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2015, 08:02:25 PM »
I thought I was going to get a break and use aftermarket headers and intake manifold with 94's.  But all the headers are build for a (wider)  model A frame and won't work with my narrow frame.  So I ordered a "universal" (1 5/8" primaries)  weld up header kit from Jegs and am making my own flange.  There should be enough tubing to make what ever I need.  Due to serious firewall interference, I can't use the typical cast aluminum intake so I will be making my own.  Now I'm thinking about one or two 40mm DCOE Weber carbs.  Not exactly period correct but I won't need to cut a hole in the hood for the carbs. BTW, the side cover is not on upside down, Ansen originally cast those with the name upside down so that is how Jim Gordon reproduced them.

roger

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »
One of the best four spoke wheels available is made and sold by Jim Gordon at Antique Ford Parts in Rosemead, CA.  It is very authentic looking and 17" diameter. Worth the price at $180.  He makes a three spoke that is a little smaller dia.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2015, 08:42:05 PM »
Bummer about the bleed-thru, but I'm glad to see you making progress.

DavyJ

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »
Got my wheels back from the powder coater... not the best job but they will work with stainless beauty rims.  If you look closely you can see the red bleed thru from the previous paint which was not fully sand blasted before the power was applied.  It's really hard when you are a control freak and things get out of hand.

Just have to alter the look slightly.  rub a red stain over the rims and pretend it is barn fresh.................... :)     Seriously, it will be hardly noticed when everybody will be checking out that great looking engine!  Nice work!

roger

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2015, 10:18:12 PM »
Continued on the headers yesterday and today. Yesterday I finished the flange and today I started tacking primary tubes. Used a 1 1/2" endmill to plunge the hole then bored it to 1 5/8" and chamfered the back side to reduce the amount of grinding after welding.  This tubing is "aluminized" so I don't know if I'll be able to tig weld it together.  I'll find that out tomorrow I guess.

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2015, 02:23:37 AM »
Very nice work. Love the hairpin shape too.
Roadster pick ups forever!

roger

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2015, 05:59:09 PM »
Finished up the headers today...more or less. Can't say I was real pleased with my welding but in the future I won't use aluminized tubing.  Next I gotta figure out an intake manifold.

DavyJ

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2015, 08:02:52 PM »
Nice work, they look as good as any from a shop..........nice clean look to them.

roger

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2015, 08:39:21 PM »
So while I'm waiting for my carburetor to arrive I decided to recess the firewall. I bent up some 18ga. sheet and used the shrinker and stretcher to form the pieces then tack welded the pieces together.  I will flush weld this into the original firewall this week I hope.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »
Nice work!

DavyJ

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »
It is always cool watching a craftsman perform!  nice job!

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2015, 06:41:27 PM »
Looks real good, Roger !

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
It's going to be a sweet little Hot Rod when you get done.Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

roger

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2015, 05:25:58 PM »
It's going to be a sweet little Hot Rod when you get done.Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Thanks for your comments.  I expect to make a lot of progress in the next year.

langy

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2015, 03:35:33 AM »
This project is looking great Roger

roger

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:48 AM »
This project is looking great Roger

Thanks Langy.  I'm always so impressed with your workmanship and productivity.  I'll be over there in the UK next year or so I'll be looking you up.

DavyJ

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
Roger,  make sure Steve takes you out for a traditional British breakfast.............great place not far from his house  ;D

langy

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2015, 01:42:42 AM »
Roger your more than welcome, kettle will be on 👍
I always enjoy hotrodders popping in.

roger

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2015, 10:44:54 PM »
Well, I received a 45mm DCOE Weber and began to build a manifold this week.  I'm not sure how well this is going to work as it looks like it will stick well outside the hood line.  I'm going to go ahead with it for now as I need some type of carburetion... possibly later on I'll work up a 40mm IDF downdraft.  Manifold is made out of 1/8" wall 1 3/4" pipe bends and 1/2" flanges that I cut out on the mill. I should finish welding it tomorrow and will probably take it to an auto machine shop to have the surfaces ground flat.

roger

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2015, 09:58:33 PM »
Seems like I go for weeks without posting but that doesn't mean no progress...  Finishing off the firewall has been time consuming but I finally got it roughed out today.  It will definitely need filler to smooth it out.  I have been looking for a seat for the roadster and finally gave in and made a trip over to Glide Engineering.  Their Model A seat is way too big to fit my Model T but they make a seat for the Dearborn Deuce that fits perfectly.  That must indicate just how narrow the Dearborn Deuce is.

DavyJ

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2015, 07:16:39 PM »
Roger,  the Dearborn Deuce needs a narrow back on the seat, to accomodate the folding top bows............I learned that the hardway, after we bought a seat already upholstered and had to cut it up .......... :o   That firewall sure came out good!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »
What a cool build.Thanks Roger for all the updates.

roger

« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »
while progress reports are few and far between, I am making headway with this build.  The frame and components have been powder coated and assembled.  I'm now running brake lines.  The body is in the hands of the painter.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2015, 10:02:34 PM »
Looks like you made a TON of progress!  The roadster's looking great; can't wait to see it on the road.

Striper

• Whetstone Pinstriping
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2015, 12:25:49 AM »
Keep the reports coming in , this is going to be good !
Anything worth doing is worth doing right . -- Frank Kurtis

DavyJ

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2015, 06:02:41 PM »
That has come a long way since the beginnings.  Great work indeed!

roger

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2015, 07:53:23 PM »
OK now in the last week or so I've finished running the brake lines and directed my efforts toward getting the motor ready to install in the chassis.  I just didn't want to spend 15K on a motor for this car so this one is costing about one third that which is still outrageous for a four cylinder.  I bought this rebuilt  stock model B motor from a guy who had it built up but did not use it.  It has poured babbit bearings and stock oiling which means pressure to the mains and dip to the rods.  I'm converting it to a full flow oil filter and swapped out the reground stock B cam with a Brierley cam for the overhead conversion.  He has many grinds for different applications and this one is basically a VW profile.  To eliminate clutch chatter, the flywheel housing had to be shimmed to within .006" at the 3, 12 and 9 positions so I made a tool similar to the original factory tool to accomplish that.  So the motor is now in the frame and I can tinker with the V8 clutch, trans and lots of other minor details until I get the body back from the painter.

roger

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2016, 10:45:57 PM »
Well, here's another report on the Model T project. Since last report I discovered that my precious Cragar head had a crack in it.  A crack that I should have seen before I bought it. But I found a guy here in Chino who repairs diesels and would stitch it for me. Today I got it back and installed on the block.  Pictures show the crack and the repair.  The brass is from a repair made many years ago. The crack was drilled and pinned with a cast iron pins then dressed with a stone by hand.  Finished up the hydraulic clutch last week.  Purple was not my first choice for the slave cylinder color.  Also got the drive shaft cut down to size.  Somehow when I hook up the drive shaft I feel like I've actually got a car.  This was an '89 Corvette drive shaft I've had under the bench for more than 20 years.  I finally got to use it.

I should add that Cragars are notoriously weak around the center of the head and many of them have cracked and been repaired over the years.  This crack looks to have grown out of that old repair.  If I'd had my eyes open wide before I bought the head I probably would not have bought it.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2016, 10:49:26 PM »
Thanks for the up date Roger.It's getting there.

Striper

• Whetstone Pinstriping
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »
I've heard that Easy Off oven cleaner will remove colored anodizing .
Anything worth doing is worth doing right . -- Frank Kurtis

roger

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2016, 01:28:52 AM »

Yeah, that's a good idea.  I've used it to remove anodizing before.  I'll give it a try.

DavyJ

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2016, 01:06:13 PM »
Looking good,  must almost be time for final assembly! Thanks for bringing us all along..................

roger

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2016, 08:15:31 PM »
Well, I got the body back from the pant and body work guy today and have it installed (sort of ) on the frame.  Body, deck lid and doors are all done and I had him paint the body underneath, inside and the firewall even though a lot of it will be covered with insulation.  I will be painting the rest of the car on the frame at a later date. I finally decided on a very bright red which is strictly a red toner with no other color or tint added.  It is bright.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2016, 08:23:14 PM »
That's Red.What color is the block going ? Wonder how Chevy orange would look.

roger

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »
That's Red.What color is the block going ? Wonder how Chevy orange would look.
Right now I've got it painted early ford green which is a contradiction in colors. Not so good?
Actually I told the guy at the paint store that I wanted a red with no orange in it.  He said every red has orange in it, the best you can do is straight red toner.

29bowtie

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2016, 06:02:57 PM »
Adding a bit of blue tint to many reds also kills the orange and makes it more "blood red"!
I like that red and also great progress on the whole project.
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2016, 10:06:35 PM »
All red toner. Cool. When you want the purest color, straight toner is as good as it gets. My RPU is straight yellow toner.  Yep, bright!
Roadster pick ups forever!

roger

« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
All red toner. Cool. When you want the purest color, straight toner is as good as it gets. My RPU is straight yellow toner.  Yep, bright!
yes, and I've admired your truck often. Both of them actually.[/size]

roger

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2016, 08:36:31 PM »
Still working away on this project , although sometimes it seems like progress is slow. I decided to run an electric water pump on this car.  I found one at Speedway intended for chevy or ford v8 which I purchased and then tried to figure out how to make it work...  I machined a new body out of 6061-T6 aluminum and just copied the internal design of the speedway pump body except to pull water from the back and expel it out the side.  Since I'm not really a machinist and I do most of my design work as I go along, this took me two tries to get it right. The output pipe is the original inlet pipe that came with the water pump and it will take a 1 3/4" hose to the radiator.  It is finished except for sandblast and paint the original ford green

duaneshotrods

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2016, 01:02:40 PM »
Sure does, spray, put in a zip lock bag, shake & let it sit in the sun. Rinse & repeat if necessary.

The project is coming along nicely Roger...........

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »
Thanks Roger for sharing the build.

roger

« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2016, 10:53:07 AM »
Thanks Roger for sharing the build.

Thanks Beppie, I wish I had more to share.  I could finish this car if I had the money.  I thought I'd sell the '28 to finish this one but I'm surprised just how little interest there is in my '28.  I haven't even gotten a low ball, insulting offer.  Sometimes I wonder if the window isn't closing on all these highboy roadsters as we all get older - really older.

roger

« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2017, 10:35:27 PM »
I can't believe it has been so long since I posted a progress report on this build.  In the spirit of full disclosure, I haven't done much on the car this year but I'm back on it now. I made a trip up to Paso Robles to order a radiator from the Brass Works I should get it around the end of the year.  In the mean time I've added the dash, the chopped windshield and today I roughed out the tail lights. The tail lights are early model A which is an upgrade from the model T light. I'm also grafting Model A top bows to the lower portion of the Model T top bows since I want to have a functioning top.  Fuel tank is in and the battery box is in.  All the bright work is nickle plating but there isn't much difference between modern nickle and chrome plating.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2018, 11:11:54 AM »

Yeah, that's a good idea.  I've used it to remove anodizing before.  I'll give it a try.
Yup, I have used it to remove the clear anodizing from the OEM aluminum parts on my Chevy II, so I could pick and file the dings out and re-buff everything. Works good. OUTSTANDING build Roger, Thanks for posting this. I just found this thanks to Toms link page.
Wanted: Used +030 TRW L2249 or Speed Pro 7061P 12.5/1 289/302 ford pistons

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2018, 12:40:26 PM »
Will it take off powder coating?  I have the 7th set of Hilborn made for Cad.  Someone put silver powder coating on it.  I was told that maybe aircraft stripper would work, but haven't tried it yet.  Would prefer something less nasty.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2018, 01:16:08 PM »
Will it take off powder coating?  I have the 7th set of Hilborn made for Cad.  Someone put silver powder coating on it.  I was told that maybe aircraft stripper would work, but haven't tried it yet.  Would prefer something less nasty.
I don't think you can use it on magnesium, I think it will eat magnesium. Wish my dad was still alive, I would ask him. He had a terrific knowledge of chemistry. Early cad hilborns!!! NICE!!!

roger

« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm making an effort to at least get this car running this year. Here's a few pictures from a few months back. I'll start posting more frequent updates  in the near future.  Everything in this model t is so cramped I had to locate the master cylinder reservoirs in the trunk.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »
Roger,
Are you going with the cream wheels ?I like it a lot with the red.It's going to be a sweet little Hot Rod.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »
Roger,
Are you going with the cream wheels ?I like it a lot with the red.It's going to be a sweet little Hot Rod.
I am with Beppie on this and to take it a step further, have you thought about painting the engine the same colour? With all the brightwork, it would look great, and it would tie in nicer with the red body than the Ford green.

roger

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2018, 07:47:46 PM »
Roger,
yes, I've got them all done.  I took nine 16 inch Kelseys to Pico Wheel to be trued and straightened. I got back seven usable wheels. Two were widened to 5 inches the rest are 4 inch. Then had them powder coated creme. So when you pay 60 to 100 dollars for usable Kelsey at a swap meet, that's just the tip of the ice berg. Will be running a spare on the back. I appreciate your interest and comments on the car.

roger

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2018, 07:55:55 PM »
Roger,
I am with Beppie on this and to take it a step further, have you thought about painting the engine the same colour? With all the brightwork, it would look great, and it would tie in nicer with the red body than the Ford green.
Thanks jaded for your comments and interest. Others have made a similar comment about the engine color but I'm holding out with Ford green on this first motor. I plan to build a hotter motor later on. Then I'll be more likely to change colors.  Everything has been done at least twice on this car.

DavyJ

« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2018, 08:34:40 PM »
Roger, that is shaping up real nice.. glad to see it moving along...thanks for bringing us along!

roger

« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2018, 08:38:50 PM »
Roger, that is shaping up real nice.. glad to see it moving along...thanks for bringing us along!
I'll be posting more here soon . Thanks for your interest.