'26 T Roadster Project

roger

'26 T Roadster Project
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »
Almost 2 years ago I got bored with my '28 highboy roadster and began building a full fendered '26 roadster.  I was actually looking for a '32 pickup but found this roadster and shelved the pickup idea for a few years.  the roadster is inspired by my high school friend's '26 from pack in the early '60s.  It was powered by a v8-60 with 16" Kelseys.  I've always wanted a Miller/Cragar converted ohv "B" motor  so that's what I'm building this one around.  So here's what I started with and what I've been inspired by.  The red car was my friend Frank's car on the cover of Feb '62 Rod & Custom.

roger

Re: '26 T Roadster Project
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »
The first thing I did was to build a frame table and mount the T frame and the body to the frame table to do the metal work.  This thing was in sad shape and needed major reconstructive surgery to make it an authentic model T again.  For some reason the previous owner cut the turtle deck sub frame then welded the trunk floor to channel and bolted it to the front half of the body and that moved the rear of the body up 1 " off the frame.  Also about the bottom 4" to 7 " had to be replaced all the way around.

roger

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
The fenders were in fair condition but the rears had been modified to fit the relocated turtle deck I mentioned earlier and needed to be restored to original configuration

roger

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »
The deck lid was a major project as I didn't want to ruin the original with louvers so I built one.  I built a frame out of 1/2" square tubing then formed a skin around the frame  using shrinker/stretchers.  I had the skin louvered then welded it to the frame.  I bought a repo stamping of the key hole and welded it in the skin before I had it louvered.  On the stock t deck lid the latch is centered but the key for the latch is offset 1/2" so the diamond is not centered.  Because of the louvers, I centered it on mine.  I also had to make the little corner piece that holds the rubber bumper.

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »
Thanks, Roger.  The roadster is looking good.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »
That's a cool project, nice work.
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

DavyJ

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »
Roger, glad to see a bit more of the build,.  looking good so far.
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

roger

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »
So far, everything you see took place in the first year or so.  Work slowed down last winter because I felt I needed a mill and a lathe. So I took a little break and restored a 11' Logan lathe and a Bridgeport mill while I did work on other people's project.

roger

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 09:18:53 PM »
Several months ago work began in ernest and since I didn't have anyplace to chronicle the build, I don't have a lot of construction pics but I'll resume picture taking.  I finally decided on a Model A frame.  To make it fit the Model T, I narrowed it to 23" in the front and 35" in the back, I stepped it 3" and stretched it 7 1/2" to accept the '37 rear end and model T spring.  Also, because I like the narrow taper of the rear of the frame I turned the frame rails around so the back is now the front.  I narrowed the front cross member and flattened the front of it to be square across the front like the model T was.  So far, I've started to box it and I am making the motor mounts.  Pics of the motor mounts and progression of the boxing will be the next installation.  The mill and the lathe have been valuable additions to my shop.  I cut everything close with the plasma cutter then finish it off on the mill.   Right now I am planning to run 19" by 3" Chrysler wires and the car will be set up very low over the wheels like a "gor job".  and one more thing I aquired you can see in the background is a UCC-305 TIG so I have retired my Miller Econotig which was marginal at best.  I forgot mention that the tranny is a T5

roger

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »
Things might slow down a little now because my 96 year old mother in law ( who lives with us) and my 94 year old mother ( who lives 50 miles away) are in poor health so we spend a lot of time taking car of them.  In the mean time I have a friend, Reed McNutt, who is building a 22 Dodge lakes style roadster with a Cragar converted model B motor.  He is a real craftsman.  Here's a couple shots of his work...
That's a Jeep tower on a Ford top loader 4 speed which he has adapted to the model BB (truck) bell housing.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:44 PM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.
THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS ONE. SAME CAR.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:30:22 PM »
THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR BUILD WITH US.

roger

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.

I would love to have a track style roadster .  My original intent with my '28 was to have a channeled belly panned roadster with a Wayne head GMC motor  but I got side tracked.  I think the brakes on this roadster are worth more than my entire model T project.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.

I would love to have a track style roadster .  My original intent with my '28 was to have a channeled belly panned roadster with a Wayne head GMC motor  but I got side tracked.  I think the brakes on this roadster are worth more than my entire model T project.

LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT THE MOTOR.

roger

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.

I read in the Rodders Journal that this project began with a 4 cylinder.  Any knowledge of it?  An Ardun v8-60 has got to be rare.  Also what other car does this present owner have that I might recognize?

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »
COOL BUILD ROGER.

I read in the Rodders Journal that this project began with a 4 cylinder.  Any knowledge of it?  An Ardun v8-60 has got to be rare.  Also what other car does this present owner have that I might recognize?

MAYBE THESE ROGER. JOHN LIKES TO WORK ON HIS STUFF ALSO.