T's Not Buckets

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
Re: T's Not Buckets
« Reply #368 on: June 04, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »
While we are here, anybody have any thoughts on this method of splitting bones?

For those that don't see what we are looking at, they take a '28-'34 ford drag link, cut the ends off, and weld the ends of the drag link into the ends of the split bones. I always thought the end product was very elegant looking, but I wonder if there are any practical issues with this setup? Anybody done this, or have any direct experience with it? I have even seen it on the ends of hairpins on some cars dating from the forties/fifties. I think its much nicer looking than an exposed Ford tie-rod end.

EDIT: I have been digging at this, a Model BB truck drag link may work better, or may be what they used, as the od of the shaft is bigger (.75), and would probably fit into the cut end of the wishbone better. Wonder if I can find one through my connections. If you used a Model A one, you would probably have to split a piece of tubing lengthways and use it as a "shim" when you welded it together?
A friend of mine runs around with something like that.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #369 on: June 04, 2018, 09:56:56 PM »

A friend of mine runs around with something like that.

Hollenbecks car? Similar, except he has used a tie-rod end instead of a drag link end, so it has the clamp. I like the drag link end better, it looks cleaner, but I think on the bucket, I will just go ahead and use regular tie-rod ends, I think they are more in line with the butch sixties drag car feel I am going for. I expect to go ahead and split the bones for that car in the next week, and I haven't had any luck so far finding a nice clean drag link that is clean enough where I could get the ends nice enough for plating without a major amount of hassle, and I don't really want to go to the hassle of trying to adapt a ball end to the Corvair pitman arm, The whole deal could end up holding me up for a while, and like I said, I'm not sure it really suits the overall attitude of that car anyway. But I have always really liked this look. I think I will use it on my T-Tudor, and I am thinking about making hairpins for my coupester incorporating early Ford drag link ends. I have seen that on several early fifties hot rods, and even a few race cars from that period, it really looks nice. Besides, on the coupester, I am using a '33-'34 box, so I already have the ball end on the pitman arm, and the pitman arm will be out in the breeze, so I can carry the look through with a chromed early Ford drag link as well.
Wanted: Used +030 TRW L2249 or Speed Pro 7061P 12.5/1 289/302 ford pistons

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #370 on: June 11, 2018, 07:37:41 PM »
I LOVE this. The bubble, the hand-punched louvers, the four bar made from Model A tie rods, the wheel covers, the drag link...

A construction photo of thunderbirdesques '27.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #371 on: June 11, 2018, 08:04:15 PM »
Tall coupe

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #372 on: June 12, 2018, 07:54:25 PM »
I LOVE this. The bubble, the hand-punched louvers, the four bar made from Model A tie rods, the wheel covers, the drag link...

A construction photo of thunderbirdesques '27.

Cool roadster

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #373 on: June 13, 2018, 09:42:58 AM »
thanks Tom

29bowtie

« Reply #374 on: June 15, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
From the "Hot Rod Dirt Drags", youngrodder1929's nitro flathead dragster. This Hot Rod is evolving nicely. The body and chassis were narrowed a condiderable amount and some internal engine changes have livened it up too.
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #375 on: June 15, 2018, 07:45:15 PM »
From the "Hot Rod Dirt Drags", youngrodder1929's nitro flathead dragster. This Hot Rod is evolving nicely. The body and chassis were narrowed a condiderable amount and some internal engine changes have livened it up too.
That's really starting to look like a fairly typical circa 1952-55 "rail job".

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #376 on: June 16, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »
T Roadster

29bowtie

« Reply #377 on: June 16, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
That's really starting to look like a fairly typical circa 1952-55 "rail job".
Wait until you hear it run! Nothing sounds like a flatty with 90% in the tank. A camshaft change and some other changes have certainly livened it up! Hardest part at the "Dirt Drags" was getting it to hook up! ::)
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #378 on: June 16, 2018, 09:40:39 PM »
So I got the '26 headlight mounts for my Tudor, and I think I see why all the full fendered T's I see tend to use the '27 headlight bar instead. The '26 doesn't use conventional Ford headlight mounting cups, so the only way to adjust the lights would be to bend the brackets, but this isn't going to work for me anyway, as I want to use King Bees, and there is no way in hell they are going to even come close to mating up with the stock mount. I am pretty determined to use the '26 mounts, as my car is a '26.

These sit on the front fender at a 45 degree angle, so I think what I will do is cut through the OEM weld, then grind a sort of a half spherical shape on the end of the bracket, and weld a Model A headlight mounting cup in there on a 45, so the hole for the stud is pointing straight down. Then I can go ahead and bolt the King Bees on, and adjust them in the normal manner.

roger

« Reply #379 on: June 17, 2018, 12:55:44 AM »
Early 26 did not have a headlight bar but late did. My roadster has a May serial number and a headlightbar bar.The bar ties the front fenders together and holds the lights still. You'll have a much stronger front-end with the bar, assuming you are full rendered.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #380 on: June 17, 2018, 10:19:54 AM »
Early 26 did not have a headlight bar but late did. My roadster has a May serial number and a headlightbar bar.The bar ties the front fenders together and holds the lights still. You'll have a much stronger front-end with the bar, assuming you are full rendered.
I had never even considered that aspect of it Roger, thanks. I do have a bar as well. I haven't completely made up my mind yet, but I think I would like to run the separate mounts, maybe I will look at ways of bracing the front fenders underneath to provide more support for the weight of the headlights. I am not really seriously working on that car yet, my main focus right now is my t-bucket. You make a really good point about the headlight bar tying the front end together.

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #381 on: June 17, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »

Roger, speaking of your roadster; how's it coming along?

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #382 on: June 17, 2018, 10:59:46 AM »

Roger, speaking of your roadster; how's it coming along?
Really good question! I just discovered that thread recently, outstanding build.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #383 on: June 17, 2018, 11:00:58 AM »
Dick Rundells T roadster, per my post on the A tub thread. Really nice car.