Project More-Door

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
Project More-Door
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:15:30 PM »
I had been searching for a '32-'34 more-door for a while and finally found one !  Actually, I was in the process of working out a deal for this one, and then family issues (father-in-law had a stroke at our house right before Christmas) came up, putting hot rods on the back burner.  Once we had my father-in-law stabilized, I started on the hunt again.  Thinking that the more-door had sold, I didn't think of contacting John about it.  But then, when I posted my ad again, he sent me a note.  Yep he still had it; a friend was interested but the deal was just not happening.

So here we are.  The body's pretty cherry plus I am getting a cherry set of rear fenders with a set of rollers instead of the '40 rims & new tires as pictured.  A garage-find; it has sat since the mid 60's inside.  Again the body's nice; no rot with only 2-3 small dents.

Fordors

Re: Project More-Door
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »
Looks like a great car to start a project with, you did good! I know what you mean with that back burner comment, family issues here too. Mother in law is at an advanced age and absolutely refuses to go into assisted living. Very social person and would flourish in that setting, but is just too stubborn. Some outside help, but the brunt of it is on my wife so with two households to consider I handle all the stuff my wife cannot do. My day will come, and enough of my sob story, have fun Tom. Whats the plan? Flathead, SBC, SBF or?
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 04:23:50 PM »
Thanks; I'm starting to understand the adult care world all too well lately...

Think of Duane's 3-w as a more-door and you're pretty close to the plan.

Oh, and if anyone's wondering - I am NOT selling my '34 3-w.  Believe it or not, that project is starting soon also.  With my father-in-law's condition, I realize that life is WAY too short and I need to get these projects underway !

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »
VERY COOL TOM.IDEA'S ARE ALL READY POPPING !
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

DavyJ

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »
Looks like a nice solid piece to work with...............should be able to create a dream ride from that..............congrats on figuring out that life is too short to wait..................
Can't wait to follow along as you gather the pieces and begin the project.........
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

duaneshotrods

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 07:32:20 PM »
Nice find Tom!
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

3 deuces

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »
About time 4 doors are getting due respect.

Striper

• Whetstone Pinstriping
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
Nice to see that you're moving along in a positive direction .
Anything worth doing is worth doing right . -- Frank Kurtis

Merlin

• Misfit Extraordinaire.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 08:31:22 AM »
I like the shade in the back window, Looks like a good start.
I'm just your average misfit with enough knowledge to be dangerous.

ohio32

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 02:06:34 PM »
Nice! I hope to get back on mine....

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »
Great score Tom. Here's a little inspiration. The Larry Banker 4 door. Dad bought it in '61 when Larry's first child was on the way. Paid a whopping $1295 for it. It was in our family from '61 through '70.
Roadster pick ups forever!

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
This is my late father in law with his pride and joy, Josephine, in 1947. He was just out of the Army.

HOTRODPRIMER

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 08:39:03 PM »
Congratulations Tom,I know you have been looking for a more door for a while now,looks like persistence has paid off with a nice car. HRP

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
Great score Tom. Here's a little inspiration. The Larry Banker 4 door. Dad bought it in '61 when Larry's first child was on the way. Paid a whopping $1295 for it. It was in our family from '61 through '70.

Dean, do you have any other pics of your Dad's 4-door ?  I seem to recall that the interior is really nice but I can't find any pics.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 09:17:20 PM »
Congratulations Tom,I know you have been looking for a more door for a while now,looks like persistence has paid off with a nice car. HRP

Danny, thanks.  Yes I have been looking for a while.  Either they were nice restorations, in which I'd have to sell off a bunch of unwanted parts, or missing way too many parts, and 4-door parts aren't all that easy to find.  This one's very complete.

Fordors

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 10:39:41 PM »

Dean, do you have any other pics of your Dad's 4-door ?  I seem to recall that the interior is really nice but I can't find any pics.
[/quote]

Tom, here is the feature from the Nov. '61 Hot Rod. The interior is described as Red Wine Naugahyde, and it looks like that might be a '57 Ford steering wheel and Larry Banker had three pedals. I was twelve in '61 and these were two of my favorites, still are. I was riding my bike and Dean was riding in this! Dean you have had some life! I thought about putting Walt's 3W in the proper thread but included it here with the rest of the article.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

Fordors

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 10:41:49 PM »
The rest of the story...

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 11:02:22 PM »

I thought about putting Walt's 3W in the proper thread but included it here with the rest of the article.
  THIS IS HOW THE 3W LOOKS TODAY.

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 01:38:02 AM »
The 4 door was seen at the LARS a couple of years ago. Still looks much the same, and still has the beautiful Schifano interior. The current owner is a real dick.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 08:22:25 AM »
Thanks guys; I'm trying to get ideas for the interior.  It will definitely be tuck-n-roll with the horseshoe style on the seats.

The funny thing about the Banker brothers cars is that the 4-door has a much hotter engine than the coupe !

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 09:32:34 AM »
Thanks guys; I'm trying to get ideas for the interior.  It will definitely be tuck-n-roll with the horseshoe style on the seats.

The funny thing about the Banker brothers cars is that the 4-door has a much hotter engine than the coupe !
  NOT ANY MORE. LOL

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 09:19:53 PM »
Update:  I sold the more-door a couple of months ago to help fund the '34 coupe build.

Daves 40cp

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 08:44:54 AM »
Oh well!. Life goes on!
Daves 40cp