Vintage machine Tools

roger

Vintage machine Tools
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »
I don't think I've seen a thread on old machine tools.  My Bridgeport was built in '58 and my Logan was built in '52 but they are not really vintage to me.  My friend has a garage that would qualify as a museum - here is a picture of his drill press.  I think this is a Sibley and Ware built sometime between 1910 and 1930.

roger

Re: Vintage machine Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:42:19 PM »
Here's a W.P. Davis lathe built in about 1910.  The back lash on the cross feed is about one and a half turns of the handle.

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:56:37 AM »
Cool.  My father-in-law has an old Bridgeport; I need to dig it out of his garage.

roger

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:07:53 PM »
Cool.  My father-in-law has an old Bridgeport; I need to dig it out of his garage.
If you do any fabrication in your garage it is a great tool to have.  Even the older "round arm" is a good machine.  At the very least you'll never own a better drill press.

hot rod henry

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 06:15:21 PM »
what they turned out  with these machines is truly amazing, a lost art , it would be good if we went back  to skilled work as if the computer crashes we are lost, i have some files for finishing  which i take to instead of a grinder , my winter projects at the moment  rebuilding a chrysler distributor from a 1955 dodge  and making one stewart warner fast wind heater 1940? out of two.

roger

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:00:12 PM »
what they turned out  with these machines is truly amazing, a lost art , it would be good if we went back  to skilled work as if the computer crashes we are lost, i have some files for finishing  which i take to instead of a grinder , my winter projects at the moment  rebuilding a chrysler distributor from a 1955 dodge  and making one stewart warner fast wind heater 1940? out of two.

Yeah, it really bugs me that a lathe or mill operator is now more of a keyboard operator than anything else.  I sold my stand-by TIG welder last night.  The young guy shows up in his flat black '51 chevy truck.  When he get in my garage he says "oh you have a mill and a lathe, I work in a sheet metal shop and I try to learn everything I can about these machines every chance I get".  He was so enthusiastic I would have given him the welder.... but I needed the money to finish the blower project.

DavyJ

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 07:31:42 PM »
It is great to hear that there are still young guys out there trying to learn the old ways.............cnc controls can sure be a pain some days,  you can spend more time making a program than it takes to do it on an old lathe...........................
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

29bowtie

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 12:08:45 AM »
What a great idea for a thread subject, thanks.
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

hot rod henry

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 01:53:56 AM »
29bowtie your theme sums it up titanic was built by skilled men , the guys at the controls stuffed it up/

29bowtie

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 08:33:04 PM »
Check out this bandsaw ::)

29bowtie

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 10:17:51 PM »
 ::)

29bowtie

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 10:21:06 PM »
This is cool.

29bowtie

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 07:25:20 PM »
 :o ;)

29bowtie

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 05:53:57 PM »
Drilling oil galleries through a crankshaft.

29bowtie

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 12:29:16 AM »
I like the old belt drive machines like this lathe.

29bowtie

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 04:21:09 PM »
Imagine working on this machine everyday!