33 to 36 Willy's

jaded iconoclast

Re: 33 to 36 Willy's
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2017, 02:21:26 AM »
Former Ron Rinauro Gasser
The current iteration is Pretty nice. Rinauros cars always ran hard. I think he later built a Dodge Challenger to run with the So-Cal "match gasser" circuit.
George,
 Hope your having a great time there.What time is it ?

It's around 2pm right now. Having a good time, but recovering from getting a wisdom tooth removed. I get all my dental work done here, my brother-in-law is a plastic surgeon here, he knows the right people, I get very high quality work done with a "family discount". Soon, we will leave the big city here for a week in Que Nhon, which is our absolute favourite tourist town on the face of the planet. If you have seen Apocolypse Now, the famous surf scene was filmed on the beach in Que Nhon. It is BEAUTIFUL, the area along the beach is effectively cut off from the main part of the city by an area that was built by the French in the thirties, so the streets connecting to the main city are really narrow and old, so most people don't venture down there.
The hotel we always stay at faces the beach, the North & Southbound traffic along the beach front is separated by a really wide, heavily treed boulevard, the locals hang out there and play majoung and mend their fishing nets, and the local kids and dogs play there. It is a popular tourist area with the Vietnamese, but  the Russians and Australians haven't discovered it yet. We also know a lot of locals and some of the restaurant owners, my wife and her brother-in-law grew up there and know a lot of the local people. We really get treated well, we go bowling with locals after the alley has closed to the public and stuff, and get treated really well in the restaurants and stuff, it's really a fantastic time.

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2017, 08:27:01 AM »
Sounds like you have found a great spot.  I am envious.

29bowtie

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2017, 01:32:59 AM »
LIL  JOHN'S BEFORE & AFTER
    WHAT WERE THESE GUY'S THINKING.
    The value of that car just went to zero , IMO
That's like redoing the "California Kid" and expecting it to retain it's fame!
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2017, 10:09:22 AM »
Former Ron Rinauro Gasser
The current iteration is Pretty nice. Rinauros cars always ran hard. I think he later built a Dodge Challenger to run with the So-Cal "match gasser" circuit.
George,
 Hope your having a great time there.What time is it ?

It's around 2pm right now. Having a good time, but recovering from getting a wisdom tooth removed. I get all my dental work done here, my brother-in-law is a plastic surgeon here, he knows the right people, I get very high quality work done with a "family discount". Soon, we will leave the big city here for a week in Que Nhon, which is our absolute favourite tourist town on the face of the planet. If you have seen Apocolypse Now, the famous surf scene was filmed on the beach in Que Nhon. It is BEAUTIFUL, the area along the beach is effectively cut off from the main part of the city by an area that was built by the French in the thirties, so the streets connecting to the main city are really narrow and old, so most people don't venture down there.
The hotel we always stay at faces the beach, the North & Southbound traffic along the beach front is separated by a really wide, heavily treed boulevard, the locals hang out there and play majoung and mend their fishing nets, and the local kids and dogs play there. It is a popular tourist area with the Vietnamese, but  the Russians and Australians haven't discovered it yet. We also know a lot of locals and some of the restaurant owners, my wife and her brother-in-law grew up there and know a lot of the local people. We really get treated well, we go bowling with locals after the alley has closed to the public and stuff, and get treated really well in the restaurants and stuff, it's really a fantastic time.
Last night in Que Nhon, we fly back to Saigon around 1 pm tomorrow. It gets harder to leave every year. I am starting to know some of the locals really well, and going ten pin bowling on the last night is becoming a tradition.
Every night winds up the same way, there's a guy that makes crushed sugar cane drinks for about 50 cents each right in front of our hotel, we sit there in lawn chairs and enjoy a ice cold drink with the beach about 50 yards away. Lots of locals do the same, a very relaxed and friendly way to end the day.
It's our last night, so some of the locals we are particularly close to came down tonight to say goodbye, and they brought a cake,so about ten of us sat there on the side of the street in lawn chairs drinking sugar cane on crushed ice, eating cake, and watching the bats catch fireflies. I REALLY don't want to go back to the big city, not even real sure I want to go home to Canada!
My brother-in-law and I have been worried the last couple years that this place might change and become another tacky tourist trap like a lot of the other beach cities in Vietnam have in the last few years, but it might have received a temporary reprieve. There's another beach area northeast of here that was relatively undeveloped, a couple years ago, some corporation built a huge resort out there, and there's a ton of new tourist development over there, so hopefully that will take any pressure off this area, and it will stay the same a while longer.
I know this is off-topic, so I wasn't going to do a day-by-day travel log, but it's so laid back and beautiful here, I figured I would share a little bit about it. If anyone ever comes over to SE Asia, I highly recommend you make a point of visiting Que Nhon. There really aren't many places like this left, anywhere. Still relatively cheap too, MUCH less than Saigon is now.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2017, 12:33:47 PM »
Back to our regular scheduled programming.......
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2017, 12:35:09 PM »
Few more....................

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2017, 12:55:07 PM »
I made the AMT model of the later version of the last one (light blue, lots of chrome) pictured.  Was it later sponsored by MALCO ?  It's a classic.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »
Hi Tom, that would be this configuration. Ohio George re did the car around 67 I believe. I have an un-built original kit as well as the re-release. It was one of my favorite models as a kid !

duaneshotrods

« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2017, 01:29:54 PM »
Die cast............

duaneshotrods

« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
Pickups.............

duaneshotrods

« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »
AMT model kit............

duaneshotrods

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2017, 01:43:57 PM »
Woody wagon...........

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
AMT model kit............

That's the one !   AMT kits never seemed to have the level of detail of the Revell kits, but this one was an exception.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »
Re-release

duaneshotrods

« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »
Polar-light

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »
stocker more-door