OHIO GEORGE'S RACE CAR'S

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
OHIO GEORGE'S RACE CAR'S
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:20:44 AM »
FROM THE NHRA
  One of the most colorful chapters in drag racing history is the saga of the AA/Gas Supercharged coupes that created some of NHRA's most intense rivalries from the late 1950s through the early 1970s.

The combination of supercharged engines in full-bodied cars presented a readily identifiable package for the race fans, and the AA/GS entries were, in essence, the forerunners of Funny Car and Pro Stock.

In its heyday, the class boasted such talent as "Big John" Mazmanian, Stone-Woods-Cook, K.S. Pittman, Jr. Thompson, the Kohler Bros., and, of course, "Ohio George" Montgomery.

No racer in the gasser ranks could match Montgomery's record in national event competition. The class winner on many occasions at the U.S. Nationals, Montgomery drove his AA/GS machines to victories in Indy on four different occasions and also claimed an additional three titles at other events.

Montgomery's domination of Indy was especially significant because it was the only national event on the NHRA schedule for many years - hence the biggest race in terms of bragging rights.

Montgomery quickly established his reputation as the top racer in his chosen area of competition by driving his injected A/Gas entry to strong 11-second times for back-to-back class and Little Eliminator victories at the U.S. Nationals in 1959 and 1960 when the event was held in Detroit. After the race relocated to its permanent home in Indianapolis in 1961, Montgomery won his third consecutive class trophy.

Soon after the establishment of the AA/Gas supercharged class, Montgomery switched to a blown small-block Chevy engine and won both class and Middle Eliminator honors at the 1963 Nationals with low 10-second performances, and he followed with still another class win in Indy in 1964.

Drag racing's booming popularity soon caught the eye of Detroit's big three automotive manufacturers, which soon began recruiting quarter-mile talent for their own factory race teams. Montgomery was quickly picked up by Ford as one of the racers selected to develop the company's new 427-cid SOHC hemi engine.

Montgomery quickly made good use of the engine's added horsepower, racking up class wins at the U.S. Nationals in 1966 and 1967, along with a class trophy at the 1967 Nationals.

Still running his '33 Willys body at the time, Montgomery was approached by Ford to consider racing with a more current body - which was the same type that was on display on showroom floors. Montgomery agreed to begin running a new Mustang body in mid-1967 and immediately realized the benefits of the car's inherently superior handling and aerodynamic characteristics.

Said Montgomery, "The Willys was actually a very poor handling car, but I never realized it at the time because it was the only thing that I drove. There wasn't anything else with which to compare it. On the first day I drove the Mustang, I couldn't believe how much nicer it handled. But it was only when I got back into the Willys that I realized how big the difference was. I kept saying to myself, if I can just make it to the finish line, I'll never drive this thing again."

Montgomery's new Mustang benefited from the advanced technology that had been developed from the Funny Car category, which was in the midst of an explosive boom in popularity. Once again Montgomery made excellent use of the new developments when he drove the Mustang to Super Eliminator titles at the Springnationals and Nationals with unbelievably quick mid-eight-second clockings in excess of 160 mph.

Throughout the 1960s, Montgomery was one of the most frequently booked AA/Gas supercharged racers on the match race circuit, often going head to head against Mazmanian, Stone-Woods-Cook, Pittman, and the other stars of the category.

Though the 1967 switch to a late-model body improved the performances of his cars and others, the move proved costly to the class because it no longer had the identity with the fans that was established with the older body styles.

After 1970, the nitro-burning Funny Cars, which were dipping into the six-second zone on a regular basis, were eclipsing the popularity of the AA/GS contingent, and they were no longer a major match race draw. Many of the AA/GS top stars, such as Stone-Woods-Cook, switched to the Funny Car ranks, and eventual lack of participation later prompted NHRA to drop the class from the Rulebook.

Still, Montgomery looks back on his racing career with fond memories. "I guess one of the biggest kicks I ever got out of racing was that I was able to win with both my Cadillac and my small-block Chevy. Everyone else was running big Oldsmobiles or Chrysler Hemis. They'd make a big deal about who beat whom in match races on the West Coast and how fast everyone ran. But every time they'd come to Indy, they never could beat me. Though I later did switch to the Ford hemi, I never did have to race a Chrysler Hemi to stay competitive."

Montgomery has earned a number of honors for his career accomplishments, including being inducted into the Don Garlits' International Drag Racing Hall of Fame. He was named grand marshal for the Midwest Hot Rod Reunion in 1998, and in 1999, he and many of his fellow AA/Gas supercharged racers joined together for a special reunion at the NHRA Motorsports Museum in Pomona.

What was once fun, Now feels like just another job.

TS3X65MPH

Re: OHIO GEORGE'S WILLYS
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »
OHIO GEORGE'S WILLYS  COVER OF SUPER STOCK JAN 1965

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
JUNE 1964

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »
TO THE STSRTING LINE.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 11:26:57 AM »
PITS

duaneshotrods

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »
My all time favorite. Off the model kit box.
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

Steves32

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 10:33:40 PM »

Steves32

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 10:34:33 PM »

Steves32

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 10:35:23 PM »

Steves32

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 10:36:52 PM »

Steves32

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 10:44:35 PM »

Steves32

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 10:46:37 PM »

Steves32

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 10:48:47 PM »

Steves32

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »

Steves32

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 10:53:21 PM »

Steves32

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »

Steves32

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 10:57:58 PM »

Steves32

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 10:59:59 PM »

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 03:45:14 PM »
OHIO GEORGE

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »
A FEW WITH THE RANCHERO HE WON.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »
Photo by Charles Millikin Jr

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »
OHIO GEORGE'S WILLYS COVER OF RODDER'S JOURNAL NO. 20B

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
STEVE,
  IS THAT A FRONT SPOILER ? NEVER SEEN A PIC WITH THAT THERE.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 03:57:49 PM »
OHIO GEORGE

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »
HOW ABOUT SOME 5 SPOKES ON THE BACK.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »
PUTTING IT ON SWC'S WILLY'S

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 04:06:59 PM »
THESE ARE SOME NICE SHOT'S OF IT.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »
MEET OHIO GEORGE

Steves32

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 10:41:41 PM »
STEVE,
  IS THAT A FRONT SPOILER ? NEVER SEEN A PIC WITH THAT THERE.
Neither have I.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 09:08:17 PM »
OHIO GEORGE'S WILLYS

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 09:10:41 PM »
OHIO GEORGE'S WILLYS

duaneshotrods

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »
That sure is one pretty Race Car!
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

flatheadv8s

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »
Recognize the car It’s the former Malco Gasser, the 1933 Willys previously campaigned by “Ohio George” Montgomery.
Life is like a toilet roll. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

flatheadv8s

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »
Ohio George At The 1966 Nationals.

flatheadv8s

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 12:21:41 AM »
Ohio George & his Willys.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2015, 02:39:28 AM »
A few more.

TS3X65MPH

Re: OHIO GEORGE'S RACE CAR'S
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »
Ohio George

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 11:24:26 AM »
Ohio George

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 12:39:29 PM »
Ohio's blue Mustang.
What's that.Spindle mounts on a Gasser.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2017, 12:42:47 PM »
Willys.

Fordors

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »
George apprenticed as a toolmaker at an Ohio Delco plant and his cars always showed it. Look at the '33 coupe, in early photos you can see he adapted disc brakes to the Willys spindles, I'm pretty sure he had them before Airhearts came out. Maybe they were Halibrand, or even small aircraft calipers. I wonder if there is a closeup photo of the door hinges on the '33, they are another work of art. Lightened with large holes, reshaped and maybe even duplicated in aluminum for all I know. Certainly there were countless other race cars of the same caliber but I think George built his pretty much single handedly. Pete Robinson collaborated with OG on blowers and drives, probably because he recognized the quality of George's machine work. Some buy it and run it, but George built, tuned and drove. A true Renaissance man.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2017, 03:03:12 PM »
George apprenticed as a toolmaker at an Ohio Delco plant and his cars always showed it. Look at the '33 coupe, in early photos you can see he adapted disc brakes to the Willys spindles, I'm pretty sure he had then before Airhearts came out. Maybe they were Halibrand, or even small aircraft calipers. I wonder if there is a closeup photo of the door hinges on the '33, they are another work of art. Lightened with large holes, reshaped and maybe even duplicated in aluminum for all I know. Certainly there were countless other race cars of the same caliber but I think George built his pretty much single handedly. Pete Robinson collaborated with OG on blowers and drives, probably because he recognized the quality of George's machine work. Some buy it and run it, but George built, tuned and drove. A true Renaissance man.
Thanks Fordors.
If I ever get the chance I'll give it a good look over.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »

Fordors

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 07:48:55 PM »

Yeah Beppie, by this time frame the NHRA had relaxed some of the street equipment rules like front brakes, lights, wipers, full interior, etc. on Gas class and IIRC at the same time they folded Modified Sports and Street Roadster in to run with the Gassers. One thing that I believe is little known is that when Ford pressured Ohio George to change the body from the Willys to the Mustang (obviously they wanted their car on the track as long as they fronted big bucks and parts) the NHRA said, fine, but with one condition. With the Mustang not having a full frame no custom tube frame would be allowed and as a result the Mustang had the frame rails from a Willys under it.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2017, 08:21:07 PM »

Yeah Beppie, by this time frame the NHRA had relaxed some of the street equipment rules like front brakes, lights, wipers, full interior, etc. on Gas class and IIRC at the same time they folded Modified Sports and Street Roadster in to run with the Gassers. One thing that I believe is little known is that when Ford pressured Ohio George to change the body from the Willys to the Mustang (obviously they wanted their car on the track as long as they fronted big bucks and parts) the NHRA said, fine, but with one condition. With the Mustang not having a full frame no custom tube frame would be allowed and as a result the Mustang had the frame rails from a Willys under it.
See Larry,I can learn something new each day.Thanks for the info.

Fordors

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2017, 09:14:34 PM »
See? Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks? 😉

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2017, 11:57:32 PM »
See? Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks? 😉
That's so true. ;D

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2017, 03:05:33 PM »
Ohio George's Multi Maverick

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2017, 11:33:41 PM »
MPC Model

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2017, 01:30:49 PM »
Ohio George fender extensions.Just saw these on Ebay.

!933 Willys Gasser OHIO GEORGE MALCO GASSER own a piece of History! These are the fender extensions NHRA made George run after he bobbed the fenders. He would remove them at non nhra events. We are the ones who put the 33 malco gasser back together and sold back to OHIO GEORGE himself. Now in the Henry Ford Museum. They are still in Malco baby blue.

The 33 Willys MALCO GASSER .The car had been stripped of all its goodies .Dad put the 1933 Willys back
together .He did such a great job returning the car back to as last raced that George wanted it
back. Dad sold it back to Ohio George needing only to be detailed.When dad received the 33 Willys the Malco Gasser and started the replacing of all the org parts .
When dad bought it Unknow to Dad, George had set up to buy the car back. But he kept screwing the guy who had around .Telling him he was coming and then not show up. His name was Fred F out of Chi-town. After George did not show one day. Fred called dad .Dad had tried to buy the car but Fred would never sell it to him. He told Dad if you can get here asap with cash he would sell it to dad. Two hours later on what should have been a three hour drive dad was handing him the cash and loading the car up. I guess George must have passed dad on his way home .Cause he got there just in time to miss getting his car back. 20 plus years later he finilly sold it back to George.,

The car had been stripped by George at the urging of Ford .The Willys was to loved by the people and had to be removed from the equation to make sure the Mustang was the center of attention. The Willys was parted all over the country as not to be EVER put back as it once was. Dad found all the org pieces as last run before selling it back to George. George who could not believe that dad had put it back together.Dad ended up with alot of extra parts from the Malco Gasser .these pigs are from that car.
My job as a kid was to keep the wheels shinny. It was a suck ass job to have. my dad built his office around the car. later when he sold it back to George he had to cut a hole in the wall.

Please note this is the last of the Malco Ohio George stuff I am willing to get ride of. This car in now a million dollar car. Pieces just are not out there. GET THEM WILE YOU CAN

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »
Ohio George