PRO STOCKS

jaded iconoclast

Re: PRO STOCKS
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2017, 08:04:09 PM »
The Zul-Meister! I thought Richie was the COOLEST when I was a kid. An honest to gawd NY street racer kicking ass in Pro-Stock, and with a BBC when NO ONE was running one! Imagine if his big mouth hadn't have kept him from getting decent sponsorship, he REALLY coulda been a contender! I loved the SS/DI interview. "West coast, Hollywood romance BULLSHIT!"  ;D What a guy!
Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
Remember when Lee Hunter came out of nowhere and won the Div. 7 Pro Stock championship? I remember one of the Car Craft staff called this "the ugliest Pro-Stocker ever". ;D The next year, it was electric blue with yellow lightening bolts down the side.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #258 on: July 17, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »
Pro Stocks.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #259 on: July 17, 2017, 10:58:04 AM »
Pro Stocks.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #260 on: July 17, 2017, 11:53:11 AM »
Remember when Lee Hunter came out of nowhere and won the Div. 7 Pro Stock championship? I remember one of the Car Craft staff called this "the ugliest Pro-Stocker ever". ;D The next year, it was electric blue with yellow lightening bolts down the side.

Guess the Staffer didn't know what a Hot Rod was.

29bowtie

« Reply #261 on: July 17, 2017, 03:37:59 PM »
Larry Griffith, Dodge Demon.
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2017, 09:13:02 PM »
Pro Stocks

29bowtie

« Reply #263 on: August 22, 2017, 12:41:40 AM »
Sox and Martin.
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #264 on: August 23, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »
The Zul-Meister! I thought Richie was the COOLEST when I was a kid. An honest to gawd NY street racer kicking ass in Pro-Stock, and with a BBC when NO ONE was running one! Imagine if his big mouth hadn't have kept him from getting decent sponsorship, he REALLY coulda been a contender! I loved the SS/DI interview. "West coast, Hollywood romance BULLSHIT!"  ;D What a guy!

Just found this info.
Interesting Info I just found in a Old Hot Rod Magazine 1983 Volume 1 Number 4 -Hot Rod's Camaro-page 35. Talks about the old Pro Stock cars,has pictures and info of cars. This is exactly what it says about Zul and Grump. Whatever happened to Jenkins 1970 Camaro?Well thats a long story,funny car racer Bruce Larson leased it from Jenkins in 72 but never achieved the same success he had enjoyed with blowers and nitromethane.Enter Richie Zul the self-proclaimed "Zulmeister". Richie first rented and later purchased Jenkins cast off Camaro when his old racer was ripped off.Updated with a new suspension and a sloped nose,Zuls Camaro upheld the big block tradition in Pro Stock.When Zul moved to Texas to drive for Reher-Morrison in 1977,the Camaro went to New Yorker Dennis Ferrara who transformed it into an Econo Altered and proceeded to win a World Championship with this long-lived race car.Zuls relationshp with Reher-Morrison lasted only a year. In 1978 he purchased Joe Satmarys ancient Camaro,then promptly went out and won the 78 NHRA SpringNationals with a 8.76 holeshot over Bob Glidden.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #265 on: August 24, 2017, 06:42:31 AM »

Just found this info.
Interesting Info I just found in a Old Hot Rod Magazine 1983 Volume 1 Number 4 -Hot Rod's Camaro-page 35. Talks about the old Pro Stock cars,has pictures and info of cars. This is exactly what it says about Zul and Grump. Whatever happened to Jenkins 1970 Camaro?Well thats a long story,funny car racer Bruce Larson leased it from Jenkins in 72 but never achieved the same success he had enjoyed with blowers and nitromethane.Enter Richie Zul the self-proclaimed "Zulmeister". Richie first rented and later purchased Jenkins cast off Camaro when his old racer was ripped off.Updated with a new suspension and a sloped nose,Zuls Camaro upheld the big block tradition in Pro Stock.When Zul moved to Texas to drive for Reher-Morrison in 1977,the Camaro went to New Yorker Dennis Ferrara who transformed it into an Econo Altered and proceeded to win a World Championship with this long-lived race car.Zuls relationshp with Reher-Morrison lasted only a year. In 1978 he purchased Joe Satmarys ancient Camaro,then promptly went out and won the 78 NHRA SpringNationals with a 8.76 holeshot over Bob Glidden.

A lot of guys have forgotten about Zul, I will NEVER forget him he was THE GUY. Interesting side note to this story, Zuls old "rent-a-racer" wasn't the first ex Jenkins Camaro Ferrera raced, he also ran B/MP around '73/'74 with Jenkins former '69 Camaro SS/C car that Strickler originally drove. Straight up, if Zul hadn't been such an abrasive, outspoken character, and had managed to secure decent sponsorship, the history of Pro Stock would look very different. His interview in SS/DI in '73 was a riot! Guy didn't pull ANY punches! And he ran HARD with parts that other guys had junked. He was the real deal. A real, honest to god drag racing folk hero in the right circles. Just mention "Zulmiester" around any group of serious BBC guys from the seventies, and wait for the stories to fly.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #266 on: October 04, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »
Pro Stocks

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #267 on: October 04, 2017, 11:53:38 AM »
Pro Stocks

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
Pro Stocks

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #269 on: October 14, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
Pro Stocks

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #270 on: October 14, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »
Pro Stocks

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #271 on: October 14, 2017, 07:34:19 PM »
Pro Stocks