F.E.D. nostalgia or original................

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
Re: F.E.D. nostalgia or original................
« Reply #1984 on: June 03, 2017, 03:50:54 PM »
Garlits at Fremont
What was once fun, Now feels like just another job.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1985 on: June 03, 2017, 07:24:37 PM »
Garlits at Fremont
US Drag team decal on the cowl and Goodyear Blue Streaks, Fremont, this is what, about two weeks before he broke 200 in NJ? I think Masters and Richter went 198 and change at the event these photos are from.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1986 on: June 03, 2017, 07:37:38 PM »
Garlits at Fremont
US Drag team decal on the cowl and Goodyear Blue Streaks, Fremont, this is what, about two weeks before he broke 200 in NJ? I think Masters and Richter went 198 and change at the event these photos are from.
Not sure if it was 63 or 4.“The Greek” says he was the first too 200.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1987 on: June 03, 2017, 07:38:48 PM »
Garlits at Fremont
Looked it up, according to Robert Posts book, Garlits was still on the M&H's in NJ, so this is probably a little later, late '65(Ooops! Big typo, this should say "Late '64" not late '65!) :-[

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1988 on: June 03, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
Garlits at Fremont
Not sure if it was 63 or 4.“The Greek” says he was the first too 200.
The Greeks Alton pass is HIGHLY disputed, The fact that it was 3 years before the Greek ran 200 again makes it suspect to me. FWIW, Garlits ran the first NHRA recognized 200 MPH pass in August 1964 at Island Dragway in NJ.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1989 on: June 03, 2017, 07:54:23 PM »
Garlits at Fremont
Looked it up, according to Robert Posts book, Garlits was still on the M&H's in NJ, so this is probably a little later, late '65(Ooops! Big typo, this should say "Late '64" not late '65!) :-[
Ad

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1990 on: June 03, 2017, 09:06:53 PM »
The irony is by the time this ad appeared in the magazines, the Goodyear Blue streaks had come out, and for the next 3-4 months, until M&H came out with their own wrinkle wall, pretty much everyone was on Goodyears, including Garlits! Garlits said in his book "King of the Dragsters" that he really wanted to stay loyal to Marv Rifchin, but even he realized the Goodyears were a quantum leap when they first came out. Start of the real "tire wars", before that M&H had pretty much had it all their way.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1991 on: June 06, 2017, 01:39:16 AM »
The irony is by the time this ad appeared in the magazines, the Goodyear Blue streaks had come out, and for the next 3-4 months, until M&H came out with their own wrinkle wall, pretty much everyone was on Goodyears, including Garlits! Garlits said in his book "King of the Dragsters" that he really wanted to stay loyal to Marv Rifchin, but even he realized the Goodyears were a quantum leap when they first came out. Start of the real "tire wars", before that M&H had pretty much had it all their way.
Here's a thread on Garlits.http://hotrodcraft.com/index.php?topic=985.0

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1992 on: June 06, 2017, 01:50:24 AM »
Dragster

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1993 on: June 18, 2017, 07:30:14 PM »
Dragster's

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1994 on: June 24, 2017, 09:46:04 PM »
Dragster's

DavyJ

« Reply #1995 on: Yesterday at 07:00:12 AM »
Wild back end on the body of that last one.........
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

Fordors

« Reply #1996 on: Yesterday at 08:03:05 AM »
Wild back end on the body of that last one.........

Ward & Wayre's beautiful Long Shot driven by the late, great John Mulligan.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1997 on: Yesterday at 10:39:18 AM »
Dragster
Bobby Vodnik?? Going by the striping on top of the scoop?

Fordors

« Reply #1998 on: Yesterday at 12:23:16 PM »

Bobby Vodnik?? Going by the striping on top of the scoop?
[/quote]

Bobby is a local guy, although I don't know him personally. He drove a carbureted hemi rail, one of the Greek's cars a few times and also for Lyle Fischer (sp?) of Speed Sport fame. Don Maynard was tied to the Speed Sport gang too, but he came here to work with Karamesines, and one thing that was common with the S-S cars and some of the early Chizler's was the distinctive injector scoop made famous on Old Noisy.
Another guy followed Maynard here from Arizona, Joe Bush, who was also a Speed Sport team member. Joe ran a speed shop on Chicago's south side on Ashland Ave. until the neighborhood got a little rough around the edges and then he moved it further south. I bought a lot of stuff from Joe's Speed Sport Automotive, he was a knowledgeable guy.
But back to Vodnik, he drove for and won Top Eliminator at the '63 Indy Nationals in Hirata and Hobbs rail, that one had a Scott Slot injector and he might have driven the car pictured but it doesn't ring a bell with me. IIRC the last car he drove might have been the Guzler T/F car out of Evergreen Park, IL of Bud, Don and John that had a Bug Catcher on it. John would be John Kranenberg who also worked with Karamesines and eventually went west and opened Engine Masters I think it was. Seems like Bobby gave up driving either right before or when zoomies became popular.
Phew, that was a long way of saying I don't think he drove that one!
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1999 on: Yesterday at 01:00:05 PM »
Here's a few for you guy's.