29bowtie

Re: Show us your ENGINES !!!
« Reply #1600 on: December 15, 2017, 12:34:43 AM »
Oldsmobile.
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

29bowtie

« Reply #1601 on: December 16, 2017, 10:45:17 PM »
Jim Gonsalves Quad Cam 427 Ford 1969. Jim, a tool and die maker by trade carved and mounted his own heads on a side-bolt Ford 427 and ran AA/GD (Gas). Don and the rail won Best Engineered Car numerous times and Best Competition Car at the Oakland Roadster Show. The combination went 8.0 at nearly 190 mph, Well off by the standard of the day but the technology was awesome

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1602 on: December 16, 2017, 11:10:09 PM »
Hemi's
Think that's Karl Kiekhaufers shop in the mid fifties
Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1603 on: December 16, 2017, 11:15:03 PM »
Covers
Love that yellow sb with the webers, I remember seeing that pic as a kid, stuck with me ever since.

29bowtie

« Reply #1604 on: January 01, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »
 ;) Judson supercharged Ardun flathead.

29bowtie

« Reply #1605 on: January 01, 2018, 05:09:44 PM »
 8)

29bowtie

« Reply #1606 on: January 03, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
Keith Black Hemi

DavyJ

« Reply #1607 on: January 03, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »
here are three from a collection in Pomona......and yes the one is in the living room.... with a 200 mph certificate for it on the wall!
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1608 on: January 04, 2018, 02:13:01 PM »
here are three from a collection in Pomona......and yes the one is in the living room.... with a 200 mph certificate for it on the wall!
too bad I didn't take pics at Dave Dowlers place.

29bowtie

« Reply #1609 on: January 06, 2018, 08:49:39 AM »
One for the "Blue Oval" crowd. 8)

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1610 on: January 06, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
Theres been a set of Boss 429 heads for sale for about 6 months right here in Surrey. Price isn't horribly out of line either.

Fordors

« Reply #1611 on: January 06, 2018, 04:57:37 PM »
Theres been a set of Boss 429 heads for sale for about 6 months right here in Surrey. Price isn't horribly out of line either.

I'm far from being a Ford expert but don't Boss heads use a dry deck block? That could be the fly in the ointment. I seem to recall that they had no head gasket, but rather annular grooves with O-rings on the deck to keep coolant and the oil to the rockers where it belonged. To seal the cylinders I think they use a metallic ring, kind of like a super o-ring job instead of the stainless rings on a blown engine. Or maybe the Boss Mustang street cars had conventional head gaskets, anybody know?
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #1612 on: January 07, 2018, 01:11:56 AM »

I'm far from being a Ford expert but don't Boss heads use a dry deck block? That could be the fly in the ointment. I seem to recall that they had no head gasket, but rather annular grooves with O-rings on the deck to keep coolant and the oil to the rockers where it belonged. To seal the cylinders I think they use a metallic ring, kind of like a super o-ring job instead of the stainless rings on a blown engine. Or maybe the Boss Mustang street cars had conventional head gaskets, anybody know?
They used O Rings Larry.I'am not sure about guy's using non Boss blocks with Boss 9 heads.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1613 on: January 07, 2018, 07:34:23 PM »
You can use the boss heads on any 385 series block, I actually looked into it, and really thought about making him an offer, but I have a shitload of FE parts and NO 385 parts, so I would have to sell everything off and start over. Sure would look cool under the hood of my '67 Falcon though. You can use conventional head gaskets, but you have to fab up external oil drains from the heads, and relieve the block to clear the pushrods. It's some work, but nothing even close to insurmountable. Maybe I should give him a call and make a low-ball offer, the stuff is still there as far as I know. The big thing is valve covers and rockers, big $$$.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1614 on: January 07, 2018, 07:39:19 PM »
The Kasse valve covers are $650, the Tony Branda ones are exact copies of OEM, they are close to a grand. Rockers are around $1500, IIRC. I have built 400+hp chevies carb to pan for less than the cost of the rockers and valve covers!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1615 on: January 07, 2018, 09:22:40 PM »

I just checked, they are still on eBay $3995 US asking price, open to offers, that includes valves, titanium retainers and springs. Figure I could probably piece a motor together for around ten large? It just keeps haunting me! I know who it is, he is about 8 miles from my place, I should call him up and offer him 4K CDN, I could swing that. I could use my 6-71 and pick up another 4500, Bet he'd bite...