Show us your ENGINES !!!

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
Re: Show us your ENGINES !!!
« Reply #1136 on: August 11, 2017, 02:26:24 AM »
Dyno Don's Cammer
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1137 on: August 11, 2017, 02:39:03 AM »

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1138 on: August 13, 2017, 02:32:48 AM »
If 1's good 3 is better.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1139 on: August 21, 2017, 03:06:55 AM »
from the ridiculous to the sublime. 252 cfm of cast iron 351W D0OE goodness... :) No, these aren't mine, yes, I did save the photos cause I want to do mine in a similar fashion.
DAMN that's SEXY! 8)

Further to this, the postman dropped this off today. This is for the sbf motor that will eventually go in my '65 Falcon with the XF-8, ported 351W heads and WH dual point. I am trying to do this on a budget by picking up bargains on top shelf used components as they come up, its been going pretty good so far. I paid $120 US for this with hard-face lifters, which I will re-face. Recently picked a pretty decent set of used 7/16 stud Crane Gold rockers for $75 too. Need some decent used +030 forged, pop-up pistons. Look at the .020 to .050 numbers, this is a BAD mutha! :)

Parts creep. So the original plan was to build a simple late sixties style 289 for my '65 falcon. Ported 351w heads, pop-up Pistons, XF8 ram log my old M/T valve covers, and a old school isky 505T with stock cast 289 rockers and Z-28 springs, simple, lo-buck old school stuff. The spiral started when I got a screaming deal on a set of Crane 7/16 stud gold rockers. Then I got saw the above cam, great deal, and since I already had the big rockers, well, why not? Of course, with a really fast lobe like that, now I need more spring to control the valve motion. Hmmm, ok so now 3/8 pushrods sound good. So next thing you know, there's a cheap stud girdle on eBay. So now I am thinking the M/T valve covers with spacers won't clear the XF-8. Ok Whoh, back up. It's scary how quick things can spiral to the point
where you have completely lost sight of your original objective. ;D
Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #1140 on: August 25, 2017, 01:17:41 AM »
I'm having a bad morning, I had my 351C core shortblock stored under my deck, moved it this morning, there is rust in two bores and I cant turn it over with a breaker bar. :o :-\ I just rolled it over about two months ago and it was fine, and its barely rained at all since then, I had it covered up, but there you go. The rust is bright orange so its very fresh, and when I lightly sanded it with 220, I didn't see any pits, its going to go +030 anyway, so its PROBABLY ok, I will have to tear it down in the next couple days and give it a thorough check out. Those blocks are thin as hell and impossible to find. I should have got off my lazy ass and tore it down a long time ago. :-\
Well it looks like I dodged a bullet! I finished tearing down my Cleveland core tonight, I think it will be ok at +030. Phew!

It wasn't really seized per-se, the top ring in one cylinder was pushed up against a bit of rust, and there was some rust in two other holes, but they were free, but that was enough to keep me from turning it over. I sanded the three questionable holes with 220 so I could see any pits clearly, it looks a-ok! :)
Now all I need is one of these! ;D Dreamer....

I am really starting to have doubts about this whole deal. I am following Lykins build on the Cleveland forum I belong to right now, he just bored his std bore Oem block a measly .015 and hit the filler in one hole! >:(
Pretty scary, why the hell did I get involved with this pile? If it won't pass sonic test, swear to god, I am gonna sell all this Cleveland crap and put a BBC in it! >:(  ::)

EDIT: Further to this, when he started boring the cylinder for the sleeve, he realized it was a pit in the cylinder wall with some debris in it, he wasn't through into the block filler after all. Even after he bored it for a thinwall sleeve, he still had cylinder wall left.
 On the downside, he mentioned he had a customers std bore Cleveland block in the shop less than a month ago that sonic tested at between .030-.050 total wall thickness between the bores! :o So if you had taken that block and bored it .030 without sonic testing, the boring bar would have hit block filler/water at .030! This is some scary sh*t! I probably should have sonic tested this thing before I started buying parts. The last time I built a Cleveland was like 30+ years ago, in those days, sonic testing was something you read about NASCAR teams doing. We knew these things were thin back then, now you add 45 years of rust and wear, and things get real dodgy, real fast! When I get home, one of the first things I am going to do is get this block sonic tested, so I can breathe a little easier.
Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1141 on: August 25, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
from the ridiculous to the sublime. 252 cfm of cast iron 351W D0OE goodness... :) No, these aren't mine, yes, I did save the photos cause I want to do mine in a similar fashion.
DAMN that's SEXY! 8)

Further to this, the postman dropped this off today. This is for the sbf motor that will eventually go in my '65 Falcon with the XF-8, ported 351W heads and WH dual point. I am trying to do this on a budget by picking up bargains on top shelf used components as they come up, its been going pretty good so far. I paid $120 US for this with hard-face lifters, which I will re-face. Recently picked a pretty decent set of used 7/16 stud Crane Gold rockers for $75 too. Need some decent used +030 forged, pop-up pistons. Look at the .020 to .050 numbers, this is a BAD mutha! :)

Parts creep. So the original plan was to build a simple late sixties style 289 for my '65 falcon. Ported 351w heads, pop-up Pistons, XF8 ram log my old M/T valve covers, and a old school isky 505T with stock cast 289 rockers and Z-28 springs, simple, lo-buck old school stuff. The spiral started when I got a screaming deal on a set of Crane 7/16 stud gold rockers. Then I got saw the above cam, great deal, and since I already had the big rockers, well, why not? Of course, with a really fast lobe like that, now I need more spring to control the valve motion. Hmmm, ok so now 3/8 pushrods sound good. So next thing you know, there's a cheap stud girdle on eBay. So now I am thinking the M/T valve covers with spacers won't clear the XF-8. Ok Whoh, back up. It's scary how quick things can spiral to the point
where you have completely lost sight of your original objective. ;D
That's why I have stayed on the same path for 19 yrs. ;)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1142 on: August 25, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
Martin "Tope" Phillip (on the right) working alongside Jerry Govert in 1968 at the Nichels Engineering "Go-Fast Factory" in Griffith, Indiana.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1143 on: August 27, 2017, 01:38:26 AM »
289 SOHC
Start with your basic 289... The front cover is modified, leaving space behind the water pump for a Gilmer belt drive to run the camshafts. Three idler pulleys guide the 1" wide belt. Drive is take off the rear of the water pump. The valve covers are replaced by husky aluminum castings that house the camshafts. Rocker arms are replaced by cast iron followers.
It produced in the neighborhood of 300 horsepower at around 6500 RPM.

At one point, somebody at Ford thought it would be a good idea to provide this as a kit. But since the higher revving nature of this engine pretty much required the 289 HiPo bottom end, better breathing heads and intake manifold to take advantage of the higher RPM potential, and more than likely new pistons as well, they came to their senses and shelved the entire project.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1144 on: August 27, 2017, 01:42:44 AM »
Ray Brock

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1145 on: August 27, 2017, 01:44:32 AM »
Pete Robinson

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1146 on: September 01, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »
Buick

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1147 on: September 01, 2017, 11:09:59 AM »
Boss 9

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1148 on: September 01, 2017, 11:20:27 AM »
Hemi

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1149 on: September 01, 2017, 11:21:03 AM »
Cammer

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #1150 on: September 01, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
SBC

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #1151 on: September 01, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
Buick

those Fenton valve covers are now reproduced by O'Brien Truckers for $295:
http://www.obrientruckers.com/ecom/product/featured/2682/
You can also get them from Summit for another $95...