32 Cabriolet that was in the same Spokane family for 75 years

Hamtown Al

Re: 32 Cabriolet that was in the same Spokane family for 75 years
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »
I also checked and the Muir Brothers shop was likely within 3 miles of Turnwall's house... on the way to the seller's house!
Notice on the application just above the "Name of the legal owner" the "Has motor been changed" is faintly marked, "no."
If the motor number is valid, it means this car was the 12,102nd V-8 1932 Ford built... very early considering that 203,126 V-8s were built in the 1932 model year. It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Early Ford V-8."

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »
Great story Al, thanks for sharing it with us.  Yeah it’s pretty amazing that a 2nd taillight was never installed!

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 08:04:45 PM »
The story is getting better & better.Have fun.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »
Just in case your thinking red.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

Hamtown Al

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 08:12:54 PM »
The car got here and I've been working on it pretty steadily sorting out some normal issues and a few new ones!
I did drive it to breakfast Saturday but was forced to make a stop when I apparently was running faster than the new fuel regulator wanted me too! >:( :)
I reprimed the carb with the new elec fuel pump I had installed along with the regulator and drove on to breakfast where it was a hit.
It did fine going home but I made certain to drive a bit slow. ;)
I've greased it and checked the rear end and also discovered why the battery disconnect switch did not seem to work.  The disconnect switch was hooked to the ground cable but the cable end extended past the side of the battery.  You guessed it; the battery slid forward in the metal battery box and made contact with the side of the box!  I move the battery back and shimmed the battery in the box with wood and some heater hose to keep it secure and prevent a recurrence. :)
I feel much safer now with that working given that the 1932 Ford wiring, along with some wiring from what likely used to be in a 1940 Ford, is a bit sketchy. ;)

After looking it over I'm very pleased with the purchase and feel the seller represented the car accurately... always a good thing. :)

Here's the battery box/cable end issue before corrective measures:

Hamtown Al

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 07:21:25 PM »
After considerable effort and related testing, I finally determined the cause of the repeated starving fuel action.  An aluminum filter that may have been on the car for a very long time decided to finally fail.  You can see my bypass to test my theory. 

Hamtown Al

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 07:23:38 PM »
 I'm going to add a clear filter to the line after everything cools down from my successful longer test drive... I even went out of my neighborhood!!
Then I had to redial in the fuel regulator and off I went. Man it was great!
I also lowered the top before I started the testing this afternoon. I remembered that the seller told me the car's top was down when he got it and it had apparently been down for some time. He said there was a tonneau cover in the car but it was just laying there in the car.
I thought of the original owner as I was pulling and stretching that cover to snap it in place. It occurred to me that it could have well been him that snapped it on the last time... no earlier than 1995. I thought of all the many times he must have done that over the 54 years that he owned the car.

Fordors

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »
After considerable effort and related testing, I finally determined the cause of the repeated starving fuel action.  An aluminum filter that may have been on the car for a very long time decided to finally fail.  You can see my bypass to test my theory.

Al, looks like the blue anodized end will unscrew, you might find a stainless strainer in there. I have a filter like that except it has -6 AN connectors on each end instead of pipe thread like yours. You might want to open it up and look for rust or sediment. Any idea what the gas tank looks like inside?
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

Hamtown Al

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 07:02:27 PM »
The seller recently had the gas tank cleaned and sealed.  I think you are right that the alum filter probably finally choked down from stuff it had accumulated over many years.
After removing the clogged filter and replacing it with a clear filter, I hooked the stock fuel pump back up.  After priming the carburetor with the elec pump, I cut it off and the car ran fine on just the stock pump... I am keeping that electric pump backup at the ready with just a flip of the switch on the dash.
I made my first extended run and getting up to highway speed... 60 mph or so.  Old Ford kept chugging along in 5th gear with just stock pump.
The speedometer is about 10 mph slow until you get up to about 60 mph and the speedo is closer to 45.
IT feels good to finally have the fuel system issues sorted out.
Now to get some wheels and the new tires mounted.
I also am planning to add mechanical temp gauge and oil pressure gauge; probably a voltmeter, too.  I seem to have oil pressure when it starts but it fades after it warms up.  Of course, several flatheads I've had did the same thing with no ill effects that I know of.  Somebody also rigged the stock sending unit to sit on top of a 90 degree pipe elbow after leaving the engine.  I suspect that has alot to do with it, too.
Here's a picture from today.

Hamtown Al

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 07:03:15 PM »
And another.

Hamtown Al

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 06:51:28 AM »
Got a new gauge panel and mounted that and hooked up the temp and oil gauges first as they are more difficult.  Ran out of time to complete voltmeter.
I think the panel fits right in.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
I also checked and the Muir Brothers shop was likely within 3 miles of Turnwall's house... on the way to the seller's house!
Notice on the application just above the "Name of the legal owner" the "Has motor been changed" is faintly marked, "no."
If the motor number is valid, it means this car was the 12,102nd V-8 1932 Ford built... very early considering that 203,126 V-8s were built in the 1932 model year. It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Early Ford V-8."
Have you crawled under it and checked to see if it has the line on the frame for the fenders? HB32 on here has an early production deuce pickup, theres no frame reveal.
Wanted: Used +030 TRW L2249 or Speed Pro 7061P 12.5/1 289/302 ford pistons

Hamtown Al

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 08:45:30 PM »
I checked the inside of the chassis and it does have the relief for the fenders.
Took it for a spin today for ice cream.  Temp gauge reads around 195 in the head but radiator is a more balmy 175.  That works for me.  Oil pressure still runs low after warmup.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 08:59:53 PM »
I checked the inside of the chassis and it does have the relief for the fenders.
Took it for a spin today for ice cream.  Temp gauge reads around 195 in the head but radiator is a more balmy 175.  That works for me.  Oil pressure still runs low after warmup.
Ill ask HB32 what the engine number was on his car. He has swapped a flathead v8 into it but hopefully he still has the original 4 out of it.
Wanted: Used +030 TRW L2249 or Speed Pro 7061P 12.5/1 289/302 ford pistons