Question for those who have have driven different deuce models

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
Just curious - in your opinion what is your favorite model to drive, and why?   Note that I am asking about driving them, not their looks.

Myself - I have owned and driven a full-fendered 3-w and a hiboy tudor.  Both were buggy-sprung solid axle cars.  I enjoyed both but prefer the 3-w slightly as it rode slightly better (had a Durant mono-spring up front as opposed to a Posies spring), plus foot room was slightly bigger in the 3-w. Both had a bench seat (3-w gennie, tudor Glide) so comfort level was real close.

Daves 40cp

Re: Question for those who have have driven different deuce models
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 10:59:13 AM »
I've had a 3W hi boy and 2 full fendered tubs. All 3 had the same type suspension, 4bar, coilovers ect. The tubs I think rode a little better (probably due to weight) but that 3W was a lot of fun to drive!
Daves 40cp

DavyJ

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 07:02:28 PM »
I have been lucky enough to drive a few.... 3 window with dropped axle, coil over rear and cross steering,  roadster with half rack and similar suspension, and stretched roadster with cross steer.....
I found the half rack was very responsive in steering, but to me the turn radius was bad and i did not like the too quick steering for my driving style.
The stretched roadster had a better ride than a regular roadster, a bit softer on the bumps....
Last year I shared driving a steel 5 window from Oklahoma to LARS and back....it rode terrible on the way out,  bumpy and choppy,,   we broke a rear shock in Arizona and bought new QA's  while in LA....the ride back was 10 times better.......
My 3 window rides nice,  but it too was choppy,  this winter I replaced the front P & J shocks with Biltsein's   a bit expensive,  cost me $350 for the pair after import fees and shipping.......  but the test ride was great.  Can't wait to see how they are on a longer trip if it ever stops snowing here..

so there is not so much difference in the models as there is in a few mild changes to the suspension components.......
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

32 dick

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 09:52:37 PM »
My Vickie had 4 bar front vega box .the back duel springs. 18 gal. Gas tank.best driver ever. A roadster with 4 bar front with mustang box. Buggy spring rear drove good but not like the Vickie.

johneder

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:30:37 AM »
I have built 2 roadsters and a 5 window for myself with dropped axles hairpins and vega steering , coilover rear. They were great long distance cars 600 miles a day no problem. I also built a roadster with buggy springs on both ends 32 ford steering and a Flathead with a T5 that was about a 100 mile car and not a lot of fun. Then i had a Vicky with all Jaguar XKE suspension and it was so good it was almost cheating. tingezzer ownes it now. now i have another 5 window with dropped axle and radius rods and Vega steering and coilovers and it is another fun driver. John

duaneshotrods

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:52:41 AM »
I do agree with those above, my old 3 window had a 5"dropped axle/ 135 tires/ vega box/ buggy spring front & rear, Doug's sedan has a 4"dropped axle/ 195 tires/ vega box buggy spring & coil over rears. The coil overs give a much better ride with adjust-ability. Bigger front tiers, less drop makes it easy to drive.
As far as body style, I find the sedan easier to drive and see out of as you're sitting higher and have quarter windows to see out of as opposed to the turret of the 3 window. The 3 window is a beautiful  car to look at, but I find suicide doors are a pain in the butt. Hence my Vicky purchase, Murray body styling and curves with sedan convenience.
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.