RIP Roy Fjastad

Fordors

RIP Roy Fjastad
« on: March 04, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »
I got home today from a trip to Hawaii, didn’t spend any time online so I’m getting caught up. I see that Roy Fjastad passed away on Feb. 26th. Roy was a drag racer, dragster chassis and component fabricator/craftsman under the name SPE, Speed Products Engineering, founder of the Deuce Factory and acknowledged as the first to have repro Deuce rails stamped and if that wasn’t enough he found time to race on the lakes and Bonneville. How’s that for a successful and full life?
Godspeed Roy.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

lurker mick

Re: RIP Roy Fjastad
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 10:29:41 PM »
I posted this in the 75 significant 32's section, but not many people saw it there.

Roy was one of my heroes.

Mick

Striper

• Whetstone Pinstriping
Re: RIP Roy Fjastad
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 12:28:30 AM »
I got home today from a trip to Hawaii, didn’t spend any time online so I’m getting caught up. I see that Roy Fjastad passed away on Feb. 26th. Roy was a drag racer, dragster chassis and component fabricator/craftsman under the name SPE, Speed Products Engineering, founder of the Deuce Factory and acknowledged as the first to have repro Deuce rails stamped and if that wasn’t enough he found time to race on the lakes and Bonneville. How’s that for a successful and full life?
Godspeed Roy.

I was fortunate to have had Roy as a lunch buddy for the past 20 years . He was truly one of the unsung heroes of the hot rod / racecar industry . Here's some additional info on Lurker Mick's post . He built over 200 top fuel chassis under the SPE banner , his cars were not only beautiful in design and construction but some of the most competitive at the time . he chose to sell that company when the rear engine cars started to evolve as his heart just wasn't into building that style of car . Always a hot rodder that's when he started the Deuce Factory . As mentioned his repro frame rails set the standard for the industry along with the multitude of additional chassis parts available to the builder , they were always of the highest quality as that was the only standard that he knew . Since Roy was always a racer at heart and loved Bonneville he formed Full Bore Race Products that produced parts for the serious racer . He had a machine designed to produce hex head Dzus buttons that are the absolute best there is along with a valve adjusting wrench that almost every NASCAR team bought by the hundreds at the beginning of every season . I could go on but you get my point , Roy Fjastad was not only a hot rodder , fabricator and racer , but a good father and grand father not to mention a fun guy to have lunch with . RIP my friend 
Anything worth doing is worth doing right . -- Frank Kurtis