Mike Martin's SOHC-powered 3-window coupe

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
Mike Martin's SOHC-powered 3-window coupe
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:32:03 PM »
The fun starts under the hood. Ford SOHC V8s are rare engines, and this torque monster, massaged by the legendary Art Chrisman and topped with twin Holley 4-bbls, develops over 650 hp. That’s plenty of punch for a little deuce coupe that can’t weigh more than 2,400 pounds. If you want one of these SOHC engines today, you have to spend $40,000 to $50,000, and that’s before you’d take a gennie Deuce 3-window, chop it, mount it on a boxed, modified and stretched chassis, then pay top dollar to have it finished to a fare-thee-well.

I stress the Cammer engine here because you don’t often find Ford’s SOHC 427 big-block V8s in hot rods, and this may have been the first time anyone did one in an early Ford. Rare and expensive, they were NASCAR’s most powerful engine overnight, and were quickly banned from competition.

According to R&C, Motorsports Hall of Fame and NHRA legend Art Chrisman upgraded this car’s engine with a forged crank, J&E 9.5:1 pistons, Le Mans connecting rods, Donovan stainless valves, a Vertex magneto, a Buddy Barr aluminum intake with twin Holley 4-bbl carburetors, a Holman & Moody oil pan, and headers by Mike Hamm. Chrisman modified a Ford C6 automatic to handle the 427’s mountain of torque, and fitted period Buick finned drums, a Halibrand quick-change rear and Aldan coil-over shocks. Pete Eastwood fabricated the boxed chassis with a three-inch stretch for better handling and proportions. Ka-ching!

Noted metalman Steve Davis subtly wedge-chopped the top a little more than an inch in front and an inch in the rear. He raised the cowl three-quarters of an inch, bull-nosed and shortened the grille and fabricated a three-piece hood that’s three inches longer than stock.

The rolled rear pan features frenched taillights and a Jaguar flip-top filler cap. Finished in PPG Deltron Yellow, mixed by Stan Betz and applied by Jerry Cain, the car also has a Ron Mangus interior, a woodgrain dash by Bob Kennedy, and a custom Ron Sexton banjo steering wheel. Those names are some of the best in the business, and beyond their laying of hands on this ’32, the car was also voted one of the “75 Most Significant ’32 Ford Hot Rods” by a panel of hot rod experts in 2006.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
Re: Mike Martin's SOHC-powered 3-window coupe
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:10:22 PM »
A few of it that I took at P-Town in 06.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
Re: Mike Martin's SOHC-powered 3-window coupe
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:11:22 PM »
I like it better with the 5 spokes.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.