Off-Topic but impactful to our craft - Electric Cars

jaded iconoclast

Re: Off-Topic but impactful to our craft - Electric Cars
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
No, cause the business clients and associates were dreaming up new rules, regulations and ways to make loot. Well this is how technology has advanced and its getting quicker by the day. First pic is a street in New York in 1900. I can only see one car. Onto the future in 1920 I cant see any horses, can you. Funny enough there were quite a few electric cars in 1900 so don't think things aren't going to change because they are rapidly. Companies like Google and Elon Musk will not stop developing as it means money and we are already being prepared with visions of the future. They are already experimenting with driverless trucks in Arizona and in Washington State a company there has had a driverless car that has racked up 1 mil miles with no accidents. I had a young guy come around to my place the other day and saw the cars in the garage and he liked the 67 Camaro but could not related to the 32 and 34. That pretty much sums up the changes that are occurring. Most young people are not interested in anything older the the fifties and I'd say most think driverless electric cars are the way to go because they are indoctrinated with that belief. Anyway I will always have an Early Ford in my garage. Food for thought.
The thing that worries me about the driverless cars, is will they still let us DRIVE those early fords. I suspect not, at least in the US, England and probably Canada.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »
I wonder if these "Greenie/Tree Huggers" are all blind in one eye. It seems to me they can only see half the picture. A few years ago Ethanol was going to save us all. In the end a few people in Minnesota, Iowa and Washington got rich and the rest of us had to suffer with poor fuel. Now those refineries are closing down and it's on to electric cars. These cars might work where it is always warm but, here where I live it gets cold in the winter and batteries loose about 30% of their power drastically limiting the use of the car. We have hydro electric power here so there is no pollution from producing it. But, if you live where your electricity come's from burning coal that generates a lot of pollution. A big unanswered question is what to do with all the used up batteries, more pollution. As for self driving cars, there is a great video "Programed To Kill" where the question is asked if a situation arises where the car will hit a woman and child or a group of adult's on the sidewalk who does the programer decide to take out. Lot's of legal questions.  Jim
Its not the greenies/tree huggers that are pushing the driverless car, theres nothing "green" about Google and General Motors, they are all about money, and ultimately, political power. I am not particularly in love with the greenies myself, but if you are looking at fighting the greenies on this, you are looking in the wrong place, theres a far more sinister reason behind the driverless car. You are watching the wrong hand, magicians call it mis-direction.

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »
It is very debatable that electric cars pollute less, especially if you consider the whole lifecycle of an auto - from mining the raw material to crushing & melting it down.  Mining the lythium for the batteries is NOT environmentally friendly to say the least.   You've probably seen a pic or two of those mines.  At least the batteries must be recycled.

Now about the source of electricity - Yes if you have hydroelectric or solar power, etc., it's relatively 'green'.  But most of us have coal or nuclear plants - that isn't green by any stretch.  So you're essentially centralizing the pollution for coal.  For nuclear powered plants - there is still no solution for storing radioactive waste.  NO WORRIES NOTHING TO SEE HERE....

Oh yeah - about charging the damn things.  Most old homes don't have the amps.  Who is going to pay to upgrade all of those homes ?  And the localized electrical grids may not have enough 'juice' either.   

Given all of the other events that must take place for electric cars to dominate the market will take a while, AND given the power that the current oil companies have in the political spectrum, we have at the very least 20-25 years or so before our gas-powered cars start to become obsolete.  Some states, especially California, will have a shorter time window.  Others, like Texas, much much longer.  I'm personally not concerned that gas-powered cars will be obsolete in my lifetime, nor for my children as they're growing up in this culture so it won't be as much of a shock to them. 

Heck, when I was a kid I had relatives that still rode horses to town !  As Graeme pointed out - things change.   It's up to you to decide what you want to accept and what not to accept.

My opinion - that and 50c will buy you a cup of coffee !

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
It is very debatable that electric cars pollute less, especially if you consider the whole lifecycle of an auto - from mining the raw material to crushing & melting it down.  Mining the lythium for the batteries is NOT environmentally friendly to say the least.   You've probably seen a pic or two of those mines.  At least the batteries must be recycled.

Now about the source of electricity - Yes if you have hydroelectric or solar power, etc., it's relatively 'green'.  But most of us have coal or nuclear plants - that isn't green by any stretch.  So you're essentially centralizing the pollution for coal.  For nuclear powered plants - there is still no solution for storing radioactive waste.  NO WORRIES NOTHING TO SEE HERE....

Oh yeah - about charging the damn things.  Most old homes don't have the amps.  Who is going to pay to upgrade all of those homes ?  And the localized electrical grids may not have enough 'juice' either.   

Given all of the other events that must take place for electric cars to dominate the market will take a while, AND given the power that the current oil companies have in the political spectrum, we have at the very least 20-25 years or so before our gas-powered cars start to become obsolete.  Some states, especially California, will have a shorter time window.  Others, like Texas, much much longer.  I'm personally not concerned that gas-powered cars will be obsolete in my lifetime, nor for my children as they're growing up in this culture so it won't be as much of a shock to them. 

Heck, when I was a kid I had relatives that still rode horses to town !  As Graeme pointed out - things change.   It's up to you to decide what you want to accept and what not to accept.

My opinion - that and 50c will buy you a cup of coffee !
Total 100% agreement with this. Many people really honestly believe that electricity is produced by the outlet in their wall. If every car transitioned from hydrocarbon based fuel to electricity tomorrow the only way we currently have of producing electricity on the scale this would require would be nuclear power.

3 deuces

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 05:35:29 PM »
dont think they would work in rural areas,ranchs ,gravel roads and etc.

flatheadv8s

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »
Check this site out. A new solar powered car that can keep up with highway traffic speeds and doesn't require charging. No matter what you think changes are afoot because nothing ever stays the same. The technology is already here where all new cars have a chip that has the ability to be monitored. With Google and the GPS system one day you will get traffic violations in the mail without the need for cops to issue you with a ticket. Speed, go through a red light, etc. etc automatic ticket thanks to the GPS. Scary stuff thats for sure.

https://www.energymatters.com.au/renewable-news/solar-cars-australia-em5668/
Life is like a toilet roll. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 03:50:01 PM »
Just a quicky, not going into depth here, but the #1 electric car country in the world, Norway, has just announced it is scaling back on the tax breaks they offer on new electric car purchases. ;)