2017 Greater Vancouver Motorsports Pioneers Induction

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
Re: 2017 Greater Vancouver Motorsports Pioneers Induction
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2017, 08:40:27 PM »
My friend Doug Currans '40. This car has the cam, compression and gear to actually back up the look.

I was out at Dougs today, I knew he was working on a Model A RP, but man, I didnt know the half of it, it is TRICK. Dougs racing background is mostly sprint cars, and it is a big influence on what he is doing right now. He has built a "Model A" chassis out of 2x4 tubing, he is doing torsion bars and hiding them inside the frame rails. The set-up at the rear is very trick, he is using a ford banjo with torsion bars and split rear bones, using the split bones as the lower links of a four bar with hidden upper links, the trickest thing is the way he has set up the torsion bars, the inner wall of the frame rails are slotted with the arms for the torsion bars protruding through the slots in front of the banjo. The inner ends of the links ride on ball bearings that are mounted on t-bolts to a slotted bracket that bolts on the front of the banjo where the torque tube used to mount, by loosening the bolts that hold the t-bolts in the slotted bracket, you can slide the bearings back and forth, which changes the effective length of the torsion bar arm and alters the spring rate. This is all way up high, and will be VERY hard to see with the car on the ground. He is also doing split bones at the front with hidden upper links. The torsion bars ride on blocks with brass bushings that mount inside the frame rails, and he fabricated frame horns that look just like the stock Model A ones, but come off so you can get at the torsion bars and arms. Very trick. I will ask Doug if I can shoot some pics next time, the chassis on this car is pretty neat.

George,
 That would be Bitchin If you could make that happen.Love that kind of stuff.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2017, 08:51:03 PM »
My friend Doug Currans '40. This car has the cam, compression and gear to actually back up the look.

I was out at Dougs today, I knew he was working on a Model A RP, but man, I didnt know the half of it, it is TRICK. Dougs racing background is mostly sprint cars, and it is a big influence on what he is doing right now. He has built a "Model A" chassis out of 2x4 tubing, he is doing torsion bars and hiding them inside the frame rails. The set-up at the rear is very trick, he is using a ford banjo with torsion bars and split rear bones, using the split bones as the lower links of a four bar with hidden upper links, the trickest thing is the way he has set up the torsion bars, the inner wall of the frame rails are slotted with the arms for the torsion bars protruding through the slots in front of the banjo. The inner ends of the links ride on ball bearings that are mounted on t-bolts to a slotted bracket that bolts on the front of the banjo where the torque tube used to mount, by loosening the bolts that hold the t-bolts in the slotted bracket, you can slide the bearings back and forth, which changes the effective length of the torsion bar arm and alters the spring rate. This is all way up high, and will be VERY hard to see with the car on the ground. He is also doing split bones at the front with hidden upper links. The torsion bars ride on blocks with brass bushings that mount inside the frame rails, and he fabricated frame horns that look just like the stock Model A ones, but come off so you can get at the torsion bars and arms. Very trick. I will ask Doug if I can shoot some pics next time, the chassis on this car is pretty neat.

George,
 That would be Bitchin If you could make that happen.Love that kind of stuff.
I'll see what I can do. He might say no, but I'll ask. He is helping me a LOT on setting up the chassis for my t-bucket. Every time I say "well I was thinking of buying a..." his response is "screw that, we can make one, and it will be better" :)

DavyJ

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »
That set up sounds so cool! guys with talent like that are what makes this sport so great!
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2017, 07:36:19 PM »
This is Dougs best known car, he built it in the early seventies, it was in a couple of US magazines, but with Tru-Spokes on it. He still has it, I first photographed it at a PISRA event in the late seventies, have probably shot photos of it a dozen times since. This shot was from the Tom The Tire Guy" show about five years ago.

He is leaving for Ontario shortly, he is going to be inducted into the Canadian Street Rodding Hall of Fame on the 21st. He was inducted into the Greater Vancouver Motorsports Pioneers Society a few years back.