2017 Greater Vancouver Motorsports Pioneers Induction

jaded iconoclast

2017 Greater Vancouver Motorsports Pioneers Induction
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:02:45 PM »
Went to pretty much my favorite event of the year today, had a great time as usual. This is not really a car show per-se, its an annual deal where they induct the current year nominees into the Greater Vancouver Motorsports Pioneers society. But there are always some neat cars in the parking lot, and last year, Mo Davidson initiated the "Cloverdale Cacklefest" which looks to become a new annual tradition! ;D so without further adieu...

This was pretty much the first thing I saw when I arrived, any real Vancouver area car guy knows what this means...

Geoffs Olds, he used to be a Mission Raceway tech inspector

jaded iconoclast

Re: 2017 Greater Vancouver Motorsports Pioneers Induction
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 09:04:51 PM »
My friend Doug Currans '40. This car has the cam, compression and gear to actually back up the look.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »
Think this is Rolf Norbergs F100, he also owns the Earl Pogue Dragmaster we will see shortly

This GTO was a stick, sounded pretty rowdy

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 09:12:16 PM »

I was digging this '58 ranchero with the baby moons, took me back to the sixties.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »
Member Hemi Deuces Hemi Deuce. He says hes coming over on Tuesday to check on my progress on the T bucket. I haven't even touched it since I got back from Vietnam!! :o :-[ hes gonna kick my ass! ;D

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 09:19:17 PM »
Canadian Merc M-1, sorry about the poor photo quality.

I know the Military Harley belongs to 2017 Inductee Ron Lacy, think maybe the BMW is his too? He rode the Harley through 12 European countries in 2014, 14,000 miles in five months.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »
Some of the quality of the indoor photos is pretty crappy, I just had a cheapy point and shoot pocket digital with no flash.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »
HemiDeuce set up this cool display with some '50s era BCCCA show trophies, and some great period photos. One of them was of a local car I didn't even know about, a channelled full fendered roadster named the "Black Cat" that was really slick. The one shot you can see there is Fred Welch's '40 fordor, pretty well known car that won a lot of shows and was in Car Craft show coverage several times.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 09:56:19 PM »
I don't know much about this car, I am betting 29bowtie can fill us in. It cackled.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
Hemideuce told me this car belongs to the guy that built the "black cat" car mentioned in post#7

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »
Thanks for the pics and stories!  The '40 coupe is cool.  It has to be the only one I've ever seen with a '59 Olds steering wheel.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 10:21:12 PM »
Thanks for the pics and stories!  The '40 coupe is cool.  It has to be the only one I've ever seen with a '59 Olds steering wheel.
I'm only about a third of the way through, I'll finish it up in the morning. Some stuff to come on Bill Traquaires T, there have been several photos of it posted on the T-bucket thread, I met his son at Ocean Park last year, met him today, he told me a few good stories.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 11:06:21 PM »
Nice BB 4 speed '66 Chevelle. 66's are my favorite year chevelle.

Go-Mango 4 speed AAR. When I was in high school, a buddy of mine had a Limelight AAR with an Auto, a woman ran a redlight and hit it on the a-pillar and totaled it. Really totaled it too, she really hit it hard. The dash was pushed up about a foot in the center. :'(

29bowtie

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 11:44:04 PM »
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 11:19:14 AM »
I was going to bring Dale in when I posted the actual cackle photos. I am guessing it was your nephew in the seat? So this is the former Ramchargers car we talked about last year? I should have put that together in my head, I must be getting old.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »
I liked this Model 40 roadster with the handmade top. As old dad would have said, high zoot.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 11:34:47 AM »
Arts '39 Deluxe Fordor. I like this car a lot. Great colour, and a really nice white T&R interior with chrome garnish moldings, pretty swanky.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 11:39:40 AM »
Twofer T's. The roadster is from Tsawwassen, the same small beach town as HemiDeuce. Really nicely proportioned car, with mags and small headlights. ;)

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »
there was even a purple pantera. Eclectic is the word that best describes this event.

I actually took this photo last year, so I am cheating a little. It was there this year too, but when I got home I noticed I missed taking a pic, and I wanted to include it. This car is, granted, a bit ugly, but man, what a total BLAST it must be to drive! LS-1 powered.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 12:01:15 PM »
Local FE guy, Tom Postuma's wagon contains a surprise. He used to have a occasionally street driven 10 wide high 9 second 4 speed T-bolt clone.

The first time I met Tom was about 35 years ago, I answered an ad for Fairlane headers for an FE. I go out to this place way the hell out in a cul de sac in this subdivision in Ladner, and at the end of the cul de sac, theres a house with fords literally spilling out into the street, fairlanes, Rancheros, a mid fifties F100 ramp truck, theres probably seven fords in the driveway and parked on the street. So I figure this must be the place. He comes out, and we do the deal, and we are talking, he says, "I got something I gotta show you". We go into a room off the garage and he reaches under the bench and pulls out a set of tunnel port heads. This was long before all the FE stuff started being re-produced, I just about shit a brick. The only place I had ever seen them before was bolted to the motor of some high end race car, I had never seen a set up close off a motor. Here I was hunting al over hells half acre for C1AE's that I could make into CJ copies, and this guy has tunnel port heads under his workbench!
Oh yes, and of course, the wagon is a stick. Tom will not own a car with a slush box.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 12:08:25 PM »

Cobra with billboards. This car sounded very healthy.

29bowtie

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 12:11:28 PM »
I was going to bring Dale in when I posted the actual cackle photos. I am guessing it was your nephew in the seat? So this is the former Ramchargers car we talked about last year? I should have put that together in my head, I must be getting old.
Yes that is my nephew in the seat and my brother is just to his left in this photo. The kid certainly is getting a taste for nitro!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
Nice 4 speed '65 GTO convert

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 12:13:11 PM »
Yes that is my nephew in the seat and my brother is just to his left in this photo.
Im getting to this. Slowly! ;D For those that don't know, the two guys standing by the front of the dragster are Doug and Don Mclanders, they have built some pretty high profile cars over the years, IIRC they had a goodguys "Hot Rod of the Year" a few years back, a black early hemi powered highboy '32 Tudor.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »
Remember I said this event was eclectic? I chuckled when I saw this. "If this vans a'rockin', don't come a'knockin'". In the eighties, who would have ever thought that custom vans would become nostalgic? :o Note the "Do it in a Van" decal on the vent window, I havent seen one of those in a dogs age!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »

Merc convertible, pretty nice.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 12:43:37 PM »
I really like this Tudor, I see it a lot, its super straight and really sits nice.

2017 inductee Bill Tomicki's '29. Several of us were commenting on how straight the bodywork was on this car, and how flawless the paint was. later on, I found out that Bill scratchbuilt most of the body on this car! On another thread, we were looking at a green Model A pu that was stretched behind the doors and how it looked kind of awkward. That's stretching it the easy way. Look closely at the doors on this car. He had a pretty well known local show car in the sixties, a '55 T-bird with americans and candy paint, and a custom '49 Merc in the late fifties

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »
Another local car I really like.

29bowtie

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »
Cam Hutchins posted some very artful shots on his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/camhutchins1961 

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 12:54:14 PM »
I shot a lot of pics of Miss BC last year, so I didn't take as much this year. pretty famous local blown fuel hydro form the late sixties, I saw it run at Allouette lake as a child.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »
This Cadillac sedanette attracted a lot of attention, pretty cool

This is Al Clarks '32, hes the guy that puts on Northwest deuce days.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 01:14:03 PM »
This is Rolf Norbergs restoration of  Earl Pogues Dragmaster Dart. When he got this car, the chassis had been lengthened like a lot of old diggers, he had to cut it back to its original length, and round up the parts to build a blown dodge wedge like it had in the early sixties.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2017, 01:26:47 PM »
Ken Bayko's PU, GVMSP president. Member Hemideuce is on the board of directors.

This is Cliff Rich's car, he is the guy that built the ultra low channeled, full fendered late T-coupe that is all over the internet, the Lemon T. When I first saw this car, I thought the motor was a jag, I think it was Bowtie29 that told me it was actually a Holden? Virtually everything Cliff has ever built is off-beat and unusual, I don't think he has ever built a car that was mainstream. FUNNY guy too, I was there when he was inducted a few years back, man, the stories that were told about him were a RIOT, more like a roast than an induction. He is a character!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
Bogmans AD PU. Bogman was one of the original guys in the local "Supershifters" series, which was a stick only bracket class at Mission raceway. he had a really nice L-78 4 speed '66 Chevelle. He is another character, he made up some "Bogman" t-shirts, I had one in the nineties, unfortunately I lost it somewhere along the line, a real collectors item now. Wish I still had that!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »
I don't know whos truck this is, but I thought it was cool, Jackmans on a lowered chevy PU, took me right back to the seventies!

Mo Davidsons Blown Fuel hydro, I took a lot of pics of it last year, so I didn't take many this time, it also cackled, more to follow.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 01:53:01 PM »
Getting close to the end here, I have sort of tried to post the pics and stories in the same chronological order that they happened, so its kind of like we are walking around the event together talking.
Time to talk about the Traquair T. This was one of the high points for me, as everyone knows, I am building a mid-sixties style T-bucket. I first saw the restored car in person at its debut at ocean park last year, at that point I met Bills son, Shane, who restored the car. This year, I also met Bill, who had originally built the car in the late sixties, with a lot of help from Gary Lang, who built another famous local T roadster, the black, full fendered one that was featured in Street Rod in the early seventies, and currently belongs to Ron Ford.

I was talking to Bill for quite a while, he told me about Gary doing the welding on the car with a buzz box. Gary would lay some beads, and bugger off for a couple days, while Bill would HAND FILE the welds smooth with a rat tail file. he said even as a young guy, he could only hack a couple hours at a time before he would be worn out. He would mark out any pits, and Gary would fill them in and lay some more beads on his next visit, and Bill would just keep filing them down. Keep this in mind as you look at the pics of the bat wings that are integrated into the spring perchs! This shit was all filed by hand! Holy SH*T!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
You may remember on the T-bucket thread, I posted about buying a Ron Pope Spring perch for mine, and as soon as I saw it, I realized I couldn't bring myself to use it, it was too bulky and crude, and just totally inelegant. So I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with a front spring perch design that I really liked and could live with. Doug Curran (the guy with the orange '40 on page 1) was with me when I was looking at the front of the Traquair T, when I took a good look at the front perch. Doug is a long-time top shelf chassis builder, and has built the chassis under some great local rods as well as quite a few oval track and drag cars, he really knows his shit.

I flipped out, and am almost yelling "Doug! that's IT! THATS IT! That's the perch I want to make! Its PERFECT!" Doug says "yea, Gary built that, I was just talking to him a week ago. make up a pattern and bring it over, and we will cut it on my pantograph. make it 1/32 smaller than you want it, and we will cut out the pieces." Hell I didn't even know Gary Lang was still around, I gotta try to talk Doug into introducing me to him, I have been nuts for his black T since it was in Street Rod in 1972. not only that, but I have cleared the hurdle of the front perch for my car. So it was a big day for me.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »
Yup, still more Traquair T. Bill told me this great story about driving back from Chilliwack in the late sixties at 1 am and stopping for gas. So he is in this gas station filling up, and there is one other car in the gas station. This guy pulls in, and is staring at the t so hard he runs into the door of the other car! ;D Bill jumped into the T and buggered off, he wasn't gonna stick around to get involved in the aftermath of that. ;D

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
The final event of the day, the "Cloverdale Cacklefest". ;D First up is Mo Davidsons ex-Ramchargers digger with bowtie29's nephew in the seat, Mo on the throttle. I was hoping my camera would catch the flames, but it didn't do a very good job.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 02:51:12 PM »
Next up is Mo Davidsons "Animal" blown fuel Hydro.
Bowtie29s brother Dale disconnecting the alky jug they warm it up on...

and NITRO RAX! RAX! RAX! ;D

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »
 Dave Dowlers Early hemi Stude, another pic I actually took last year, I missed a couple. I have a Dave Dowler story, Dave has a LOT of early hemis. I was over at his place for a garage night a couple years ago, and had to take a leak. So I am in the downstairs bathroom answering the call, and I sense a "presence" behind me. I turn my head and look over my shoulder, and there is a blown injected early hemi behind me, in the downstairs bathroom. ;D I was talking to Dave yesterday, he thinks he has a buyer for that motor, he is getting rid of some stuff.  he also has a Chrysler in a '48 Ford Tudor, and a couple more kicking around. he also has a mini sprint with a hilborn injected Ford Zetec, with injectors for a 2300 pinto modified to fit. Lots of cool stuff.

nice red '29 pu.

29bowtie

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 03:05:06 PM »

That's automotive columnist Alyn Edwards in the seat. Here's a couple vintage shots to go with this thread.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »
So that's my day at the GVMSP induction.

With Ocean Park probably gone next year, this is the premier motorsports event in the greater Vancouver area IMO. In the five or six years I have been attending, it has grown by leaps and bounds. The first time I went, the hall was barely half full. This year I got to my seat just as the ceremony was starting, I was at the very back of the hall, there weren't many empty seats left. If you are in the lower mainland, I HIGHLY recommend attending. I hope you enjoyed this virtual trip.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »

That't automotive columnist Alan Edwards in the seat.
Thanks Bowtie, I was wracking my brain trying to remember his last name! You really should have come out, it was a hoot.
You should have seen the photo boards they had with the T. Did you know its first iteration was painted a reddish orange, and had a chromed early chevy rear? The jag rear was added in 1969. Bill told me how the pink came to pass, the painter had slipped the pink in with some other chips and didn't say anything. Bill looked at the chips and immediately said "the pink". The painter said that was his choice too. Guys really need to see the car in person to appreciate just how cool the pink is.

29bowtie

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
Believe me George, I wanted to be there, especially for Wade Olson's induction, but I couldn't get the time off work.  :(

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2017, 03:33:30 PM »
Believe me George, I wanted to be there, especially for Wade Olson's induction, but I couldn't get the time off work.  :(
The stories about Wade were great. Barry Prescott was there too, I kept planning to go over and say hi, but I ran out of time. Ron Farmer came out and Buck Kinney too. Ron broke his hip recently. It was funny, Ron was up at the mic during the BCCCA thing, and I flashed back to the first time I saw him at Mission in the early seventies, and thinking how I thought of him as one of the old-time reverential figures in the sport back then, at 12 years old. and geez, here we are, I am 56 and watching him speak at a GVMPS event. Really gave me pause for thought. Rons in his late eighties now.

For those that don't know, there wouldn't even BE a current Mission Raceway without Ron Farmer, he, along with the BCCCA, fought an approximately 15 year legal battle with the Provincial government to make the second track happen.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2017, 06:42:45 PM »
Canadian Merc M-1, sorry about the poor photo quality.

Don't be sorry.These guy's should be thankful that you posted up some pic's from your day.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »

George,
 My sister had one.SS 396/375 4 spd.Had only 34,000 on it,When it was ripped off.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2017, 06:53:13 PM »

George,
 My sister had one.SS 396/375 4 spd.Had only 34,000 on it,When it was ripped off.
Ouch! 29bowtie had a very clean butternut yellow small block car, I think was his dads before that?

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2017, 06:53:54 PM »
Getting close to the end here, I have sort of tried to post the pics and stories in the same chronological order that they happened, so its kind of like we are walking around the event together talking.
Time to talk about the Traquair T. This was one of the high points for me, as everyone knows, I am building a mid-sixties style T-bucket. I first saw the restored car in person at its debut at ocean park last year, at that point I met Bills son, Shane, who restored the car. This year, I also met Bill, who had originally built the car in the late sixties, with a lot of help from Gary Lang, who built another famous local T roadster, the black, full fendered one that was featured in Street Rod in the early seventies, and currently belongs to Ron Ford.

I was talking to Bill for quite a while, he told me about Gary doing the welding on the car with a buzz box. Gary would lay some beads, and bugger off for a couple days, while Bill would HAND FILE the welds smooth with a rat tail file. he said even as a young guy, he could only hack a couple hours at a time before he would be worn out. He would mark out any pits, and Gary would fill them in and lay some more beads on his next visit, and Bill would just keep filing them down. Keep this in mind as you look at the pics of the bat wings that are integrated into the spring perchs! This shit was all filed by hand! Holy SH*T!

& you did just that.Thanks.
The T was King for a long time.Always hoping it could make a come back.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »
Bowtie, IIRC Wade Olson had a  blue '67 Chevelle that had an LS-6 in it, right? I remember an dark blue L-78 '66 in Maple ridge when I was a kid too.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »
Thanks for the pictures George! Cool stuff.
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

29bowtie

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2017, 08:44:53 PM »
Bowtie, IIRC Wade Olson had a  blue '67 Chevelle that had an LS-6 in it, right? I remember an dark blue L-78 '66 in Maple ridge when I was a kid too.
Yes he did. He also had a 64 Z-16 when he still lived in Smithers, 8)

29bowtie

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2017, 09:03:50 PM »

George,

My brother's first bracket car was a 66- 396 powered convertible, that ran high 11's in the early 80's.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2017, 09:35:07 PM »

George,

My brother's first bracket car was a 66- 396 powered convertible, that ran high 11's in the early 80's.
I remember it well, he was partners with Doug McKinnons older brother in that deal, right? didn't they eventually run the car in Super Stock? Or do I have it backwards and it ran SS first?
FWIW, for those following along, Wade Olson had the LS-6 '67 Chevelle we were talking about in the late seventies/early eighties

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2017, 11:01:49 PM »
I just realized I missed something important, the list of 2017 Inductees.

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2017, 09:37:55 AM »
I don't know whos truck this is, but I thought it was cool, Jackmans on a lowered chevy PU, took me right back to the seventies!

Wow - that takes me back too.  I grew up in Tulsa and you saw white Jackmans on damn near every pickup in town.  But they were usually stock height or jacked up, not lowered.

29bowtie

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2017, 06:51:57 PM »

George,

I remember it well, he was partners with Doug McKinnons older brother in that deal, right? didn't they eventually run the car in Super Stock? Or do I have it backwards and it ran SS first?
FWIW, for those following along, Wade Olson had the LS-6 '67 Chevelle we were talking about in the late seventies/early eighties

Yes, he was partners with Steve at first, but that was short lived, as my bro was a lot more serious about it, just like he is today about everything. ::) I'll try and find some photos of it.

29bowtie

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »
Hey George, doesn't my nephew look like he belongs behind that butterfly wheel?  ;) Poor guy doesn't stand a chance, he's going to develop "Nitro Fever"!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2017, 10:30:17 PM »
Hey George, doesn't my nephew look like he belongs behind that butterfly wheel?  ;) Poor guy doesn't stand a chance, he's going to develop "Nitro Fever"!
👍

Red

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2017, 02:11:29 PM »
NICE pics!  Thanks for taking us all to the show... cool getting a history lesson, too!!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2017, 03:47:11 PM »
NICE pics!  Thanks for taking us all to the show... cool getting a history lesson, too!!
like ;D

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2017, 08:04:43 PM »
My friend Doug Currans '40. This car has the cam, compression and gear to actually back up the look.

I was out at Dougs today, I knew he was working on a Model A RP, but man, I didnt know the half of it, it is TRICK. Dougs racing background is mostly sprint cars, and it is a big influence on what he is doing right now. He has built a "Model A" chassis out of 2x4 tubing, he is doing torsion bars and hiding them inside the frame rails. The set-up at the rear is very trick, he is using a ford banjo with torsion bars and split rear bones, using the split bones as the lower links of a four bar with hidden upper links, the trickest thing is the way he has set up the torsion bars, the inner wall of the frame rails are slotted with the arms for the torsion bars protruding through the slots in front of the banjo. The inner ends of the links ride on ball bearings that are mounted on t-bolts to a slotted bracket that bolts on the front of the banjo where the torque tube used to mount, by loosening the bolts that hold the t-bolts in the slotted bracket, you can slide the bearings back and forth, which changes the effective length of the torsion bar arm and alters the spring rate. This is all way up high, and will be VERY hard to see with the car on the ground. He is also doing split bones at the front with hidden upper links. The torsion bars ride on blocks with brass bushings that mount inside the frame rails, and he fabricated frame horns that look just like the stock Model A ones, but come off so you can get at the torsion bars and arms. Very trick. I will ask Doug if I can shoot some pics next time, the chassis on this car is pretty neat.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2017, 08:40:27 PM »

I was out at Dougs today, I knew he was working on a Model A RP, but man, I didnt know the half of it, it is TRICK. Dougs racing background is mostly sprint cars, and it is a big influence on what he is doing right now. He has built a "Model A" chassis out of 2x4 tubing, he is doing torsion bars and hiding them inside the frame rails. The set-up at the rear is very trick, he is using a ford banjo with torsion bars and split rear bones, using the split bones as the lower links of a four bar with hidden upper links, the trickest thing is the way he has set up the torsion bars, the inner wall of the frame rails are slotted with the arms for the torsion bars protruding through the slots in front of the banjo. The inner ends of the links ride on ball bearings that are mounted on t-bolts to a slotted bracket that bolts on the front of the banjo where the torque tube used to mount, by loosening the bolts that hold the t-bolts in the slotted bracket, you can slide the bearings back and forth, which changes the effective length of the torsion bar arm and alters the spring rate. This is all way up high, and will be VERY hard to see with the car on the ground. He is also doing split bones at the front with hidden upper links. The torsion bars ride on blocks with brass bushings that mount inside the frame rails, and he fabricated frame horns that look just like the stock Model A ones, but come off so you can get at the torsion bars and arms. Very trick. I will ask Doug if I can shoot some pics next time, the chassis on this car is pretty neat.

George,
 That would be Bitchin If you could make that happen.Love that kind of stuff.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2017, 08:51:03 PM »

George,
 That would be Bitchin If you could make that happen.Love that kind of stuff.
I'll see what I can do. He might say no, but I'll ask. He is helping me a LOT on setting up the chassis for my t-bucket. Every time I say "well I was thinking of buying a..." his response is "screw that, we can make one, and it will be better" :)

DavyJ

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »
That set up sounds so cool! guys with talent like that are what makes this sport so great!
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2017, 07:36:19 PM »
This is Dougs best known car, he built it in the early seventies, it was in a couple of US magazines, but with Tru-Spokes on it. He still has it, I first photographed it at a PISRA event in the late seventies, have probably shot photos of it a dozen times since. This shot was from the Tom The Tire Guy" show about five years ago.

He is leaving for Ontario shortly, he is going to be inducted into the Canadian Street Rodding Hall of Fame on the 21st. He was inducted into the Greater Vancouver Motorsports Pioneers Society a few years back.