NSRA questions?

32drifter

• Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R. Tolkien
NSRA questions?
« on: August 11, 2017, 12:53:37 PM »
I have a couple of questions for my fellow rodders. But first let me give you a little background.  I was recently at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville. My buddy who went to the nationals with me wanted to buy some t—shirts from the NSRA booth… so while he did that, I said I had a question for the NSRA Rep table. When I walked up to the table a gentleman and I guess his wife were manning the table; so I asked : If he could tell me where I could get a copy of the regulations for street rods in TN. ? He looked puzzled , so I said you know, like: Do I have to run fenders or not… than kind of thing. He said NSRA doesn’t have that kind of information. He said go to your DMV and ask them. ( well I’ve been there and done that … not much help) He proceeded to ask me if I knew how many man hours it would take NSRA to keep track off that information and if they did it for Tennessee they would have to do it for ALL the states. So I said did he think SEMA might have that information? And so he retorted We’er NOT SEMA!  SO one of my questions is wasn’t it NSRA ,who has always said join us and we will keep up with legislation that might affect our hobby? We’re stronger together. Question two: Why is NSRA running off all the small venders? I have talked to several of them who say they just can’t afford to pay the booth space prices NSRA is changing these days and make any money… so they aren’t coming anymore. I use to go to the NSRA events with money in hand to purchase my parts. ( No shipping costs and I can see what I am getting before I buy it.) This is one of the main reasons I go to the bigger events. SO the question is: Does NSRA not realize there is another organization out there that would love to replace them? (Goodguys)  I feel like NSRA is going to kill the Goose that lays the golden eggs. I’m starting to think don’t ask NSRA any questions… just keep sending in my dues!   

Fordors

Re: NSRA questions?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:59:01 PM »
I agree completely with what you say, but unfortunately the good old days are gone. In fact they have been for years now; way back in 1991 I drove to OKC for the Nats. There was a pin striper on the grounds, he didn't have a space with an Easy-Up for shade, just a guy pulling a coaster wagon with his One Shot and brushes. He stopped to talk about my coupe and when I asked he said he had paid the NSRA $1500 for the weekend for the privilege. I wonder how much they might have charged if he did have a dedicated space.
I quit going when the late models were welcomed. I personally have nothing against post '48 modified cars, in fact I have had a couple of Novas myself, but it is the National STREET ROD Association. Seems like they had a separate division for street machines at one time but that floundered, now I guess it's a different time and a lot of car owners (gray beards) have changed their likes/dislikes and those individuals are entitled to that. On the other hand I'll stay home.
I likely come off as sounding like Hank the Crank in this post and if anybody thinks so that's OK. I'm just a guy with his own ideas of what I enjoy. On the other hand, think about that guy manning the info booth for the NSRA in Louisville. Anyone here feel he was a good representative for the organization? The NSRA used the motto "Fun With Cars" at one time back when it was more of a grass-roots thing, now it is just $$$. Been there, done that and still have the t-shirts to prove it.

I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

5windowjim

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:05:09 PM »
 In the late 80s early 90s my wife and I attended a lot of N.S.R.A. events. At the nationals I was with a friend who at the time was the Oregon state rep and I explained to him how it was unfair that we Canadians were not able to win a reps or safety pick because there were no divisions in Canada. He took me over and introduced me to Bubba Bugg (part owner of N.S.R.A.) and I told him my thoughts. His reply was that it was the National Street Rod Association not the International and they had no more intent off having divisions in Canada than in Turkey or Egypt. He then told me he wished the Canadians wouldn't come to the events or join the organization because of the extra work and expense they caused. I politely told him I wouldn't be a bother to him anymore and I left, never to return.  Jim

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
I agree completely with what you say, but unfortunately the good old days are gone. In fact they have been for years now; way back in 1991 I drove to OKC for the Nats. There was a pin striper on the grounds, he didn't have a space with an Easy-Up for shade, just a guy pulling a coaster wagon with his One Shot and brushes. He stopped to talk about my coupe and when I asked he said he had paid the NSRA $1500 for the weekend for the privilege. I wonder how much they might have charged if he did have a dedicated space.
I quit going when the late models were welcomed. I personally have nothing against post '48 modified cars, in fact I have had a couple of Novas myself, but it is the National STREET Rod Association. Seems like they had a separate division for street machines at one time but that floundered, now I guess it's a different time and a lot of car owners (gray beards) have changed their likes/dislikes and those individuals are entitled to that. On the other hand I'll stay home.
I likely come off as sounding like Hank the Crank in this post and if anybody thinks so that's OK. I'm just a guy with his own ideas of what I enjoy. On the other hand, think about that guy manning the info booth for the NSRA in Louisville. Anyone here feel he was a good representative for the organization? The NSRA used the motto "Fun With Cars" at one time back when it was more of a grass-roots thing, now it is just $$$. Been there, done that and still have the t-shirts to prove it.
Larry,
 I belonged to the  street machine division.Never really worked out.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 05:04:47 PM »
In the late 80s early 90s my wife and I attended a lot of N.S.R.A. events. At the nationals I was with a friend who at the time was the Oregon state rep and I explained to him how it was unfair that we Canadians were not able to win a reps or safety pick because there were no divisions in Canada. He took me over and introduced me to Bubba Bugg (part owner of N.S.R.A.) and I told him my thoughts. His reply was that it was the National Street Rod Association not the International and they had no more intent off having divisions in Canada than in Turkey or Egypt. He then told me he wished the Canadians wouldn't come to the events or join the organization because of the extra work and expense they caused. I politely told him I wouldn't be a bother to him anymore and I left, never to return.  Jim
Jim,
 That's why I like to hang around my friends. ;)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 05:06:03 PM »
I'am a Goodguy's fan. ;D

Fordors

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:21:07 PM »
I might have some of these details wrong but this is as I recall things. When Rod & Custom Magazine (RIP), and in particular Tom Medley saw a need for a national event it was decided that Peoria would serve as the center of the country. It must have been during or soon after that first event when Bruce Miller, publisher of Street Rod Magazine and Cotton Werksman formed the NSRA, maybe with some prodding from Medley.  The original member decal was an outline of the United States and there was a channeled '32 5 window on it, probably in honor of Cotton's coupe. My membership number was 3296, and IIRC I signed up in Memphis at the '71 Nats.
At some point Gilbert Bugg and Vernon Walker must have made an offer that couldn't be refused.  Miller had a magazine to run and Cotton had Arduns to build and really, when you think about it the logistics of running an enterprise like that must have been daunting so the offer was accepted. Of course the Nats along with all the regionals is still a good thing, just not my cup of tea. It had to go big from being a small low key operation, membership was rapidly growing and entries at events were climbing. Personally I'd attend and look at a few hundred cars, seeing the vendors and the drive always meant much more to me.
All of this is only meant to try and show what happened to "Fun With Cars". Rapid growth means more staffing, more overhead and larger facilities so the changes were inevitable. It is good to know that Bugg and Walker stepped up and really we're lucky they did, it might not have survived without them.

I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:09:13 PM »

JUMPING J&$#$!! :o man, it's one thing for a leader of an organization like that to have an attitude like that behind closed doors, but to PUBLICY EXPRESS it??!! Absolutely mind blowing! And to think when I was young guy I thought street rod guys were snobby posuers, and preferred to hang out with my street racer buddies. On recent reflection, I have been thinking that was youthful hubris, reading that kinda makes me think maybe my perceptions weren't as "off" as I thought they were!
Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive

32drifter

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 04:31:00 AM »
Fordors, you're right about the Street Machine Division of the NSRA. They did try that for awhile.  A long time friend of mine (Carter Hampton) was the TN. state rep. in the Street Machine Division for a few years.  I sometimes think it would have been better to reintroduce the Street Machine Div. than to lump both Divisions together like they did.( when they added late models a  few years ago)  AND for me having the NSRA go all the way up to 1987 seems a little excessive !   $$$$$$ And remember... NSRA does mean = Not Street Rods Anymore  LOL

Centerline

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »
I was a member of the NSRA and attended the NATS for over 20 years. It was an organization for pre-49 STREET RODS and that's why I joined in the first place.  When they decided to let the later models in I was disappointed... but it was the way it was done that did it for me. It was done with lies and back room agreements and their entire motivation was MONEY.  They didn't give a damn about the members who objected to their methods or those who just didn't want the later models included.  Basically it was their ball game and you either went along with their lies or you went home. 

Don't get me wrong.. I have no problem with the later models. I have one I'm working on now.. but I joined the NSRA specifically because it was pre-49 only!  Since they changed over I haven't been to a single NSRA event... and I won't attend any in the future.  When they changed I moved my membership to GoodGuys and I attend thier events because at least they are more or less honest with their members.  I personally can't stand lairs and the leadership of the NSRA are all first class liars, and Vernon Walker is the world champion!  I wouldn't believe anything that came out of his mouth.... including all the claims he makes about his over priced radiators.

OK, I'm off my soap box now. 
Centerline

"Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion of how it should go together."  - Tim "

pprather

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 08:02:09 PM »
I'd suggest you rodders take a look at
www.vsra-usa.com

This is a growing pre-49 group. We just to completed our event in Maggie Valley, NC today. What a great time!

Next event is the cruise from Chattanooga to Bourne, TX for a local pre-49 event.

This is as close as we are going to get to how it used to be.
Phil

3 deuces

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 10:38:56 PM »
I would rather hang with a dozen street rod-hot rod friends than 3000 mix vehicles.Ive had big block chevs,gtos camaros ect. in the day,but to me thier not hot rods.havent been to an nsra event since they let in new cars.Glad to see bruce  miller getting credit for what he did before it was stolen away.RIP Bruce.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »
Seeing muscle car era cars at a car show doesn't offend me in the least, if fact, I would much prefer the variety instead of a sea of black or patina'd big headlight, "I'm in the in crowd" flathead powered cookie cutter highboys. I would way rather look at a sixties/seventies custom Corvette or a seventies survivour custom painted muscle car than yet another flat black flathead powered highboy, it takes about five minutes before they all start to look the same, and I start walking past them just as fast as the 2 yr old camaro s and challengers. You can only riff on the same identical theme so many times, much of the current rod scene/style is dull as dishwater. The irony is, when I look at old magazines from the time, if there's one thing that stands out as a theme, it's variety. Channeled cars, full fendered, highboys, and COLOUR, COLOUR.
How often do you see a full fendered T at a current show? Or a channeled five window with cycle fenders?
Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive

32drifter

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 11:43:43 AM »
I'd suggest you rodders take a look at
www.vsra-usa.com

This is a growing pre-49 group. We just to completed our event in Maggie Valley, NC today. What a great time!

Next event is the cruise from Chattanooga to Bourne, TX for a local pre-49 event.

This is as close as we are going to get to how it used to be.
Phil
Phil, I would like to check out the VSRA... SO since the next event starts in Chattanooga (my back yard, in October) I'm going to try and make it.  THANKS for the info.

pprather

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »
Sorry I won't be able to join you but those folks are very friendly and fun to cruise with.

I was disappointed that their destination event is the same weekend as the Early Tin Dusters pre-49 event in Quincy IL.

Hope to get to meet you down the road.
Phil

29bowtie

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 06:41:28 PM »

Wow, that's astounding! Funny, I've got a friend here in Canada, who is a lifetime member, who has an incredible lifetime of stories from many years of his involvement in this hobby, who will be very offended by this.
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark