The 40 stake truck gets a 283

bchrismer

• http://StreetRodder.Net
The 40 stake truck gets a 283
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »
After a little over 20,000 miles with a tired flathead, I decided to put my old 283 in the stake truck.  (first pic, in Ford Blue paint)

Dad had originally started a rebuild on the 283, intending to put it into his '32 sedan, but that was over 45 years ago, and the sedan is still all apart.  One of the things Dad did, however, was put a 30/30 solid lifter cam in it, which had a cool sounding idle, but I decided to swap it out for a more streetable Elgin 1785 cam that should still have a snotty sounding idle, but the cam should have a much lower powerband than the 30/30. (2nd photo)

Since the original plan was to put in a bored and stroked flathead, which was painted Ivory, I decided that the flatty really needs some machine work before it can ever go in anything, so I opted for the 283.  Went ahead and painted it Ivory and Black, because I figured it would look cool, at least while it was on the engine stand and before I ran the motor!  LOL

3rd pic is the ever so common photo of the flatty sitting on the floor with the SBC getting ready to go into it's place.

The engine is in, however, I still need to run plug wires, electric choke power, and power to the electric fuel pump. (4th photo)

Due to the heads and the exhaust manifolds, I couldn't use the stock battery tray.  I had Doug (my brother-in-law) weld up some angle iron to create a new box to relocate the battery under the bed, on the passenger side of the cab.  (5th photo)  Since then, I have put some heat shield under the battery and finished running my battery cables.

Due to the need to break in the cam, and wanting to be able to hear the motor while it's running, we decided to load it up on the trailer for a short drive up to the exhaust shop.  (6th photo)  I still need to clean out all the crap in the bed (which nicely doubles as a workbench), move the truck back as far as I reasonably can, and strap it all down for the ride on Monday.

Doug's gonna be traveling this week, so we are planning on firing it next Saturday, breaking in the cam, and adjusting the carb and timing.  Hopefully all will go smoothly, so I can bolt the grill back on, reinstall the hood, and front bumper, and start getting some drive time behind the wheel of the truck.

jaded iconoclast

Re: The 40 stake truck gets a 283
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:56:35 PM »
EXCELLENT cam choice for a 283. The 106 LSA should perk up the mid range grunt nicely. Spot on sir!
Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive

bchrismer

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »
EXCELLENT cam choice for a 283. The 106 LSA should perk up the mid range grunt nicely. Spot on sir!

Thanks for the affirmation that it was a good choice.  I talked through several different cam options with one of my hot rod buddies, and it's the one that was at the top of his list. 

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 06:38:32 PM »
Update on this when its on the road.

bchrismer

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
Will do!  I took it to the exhaust shop on Monday, so this weekend we'll fire it up. If all goes well, the grill, hood, and bumper will go back on it and it will be back on the road.

dochiboy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 10:23:55 AM »
Now you can get to St. Louis faster.

bchrismer

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 08:52:59 AM »
Still gotta get the clutch adjusted, but I did have a successful weekend getting it running.

The cam is broken in.  I realize it is smoking pretty bad, but I figger the rings will settle back in and a little seafoam should help with that. 

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »
When Comp first came out with the 268HE's in the late seventies/early '80s, they were all on 108. I was at Dix then, sold a bunch of them. I put one in a friends 289 in his '64 Comet, it had very similar idle quality. Later Comp widened the LSA to 110, pretty much ruined what was otherwise a good camshaft. Pretty much every street or street/strip type cam Comp sells is on 110 now, which explains why I very rarely run Comp shelf grinds, unless it is a cam from one of their "race" lines. I used to use a lot of Ultradyne, it was always great talking to Harold on the phone. The guy had so much knowledge, and shared it freely and willingly. There was a time in the history of our sport that making a better product made for success. Since the '90s, its more about who is willing to give the magazines the most payola. >:(

bchrismer

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:37:50 PM »
I wound up stopping by the shop, adjusting the clutch a little more (still needs at least 1 more full rotation taken out of the linkage), put the hood on, and drove it home.  Discovered that the 2ga battery cable just ain't enough, so I ordered some 2/0 gauge cable to replace it with.  When I stopped by the local parts store to pick it up, the warehouse shipped the footage that I requested, just in 2 pieces that wouldn't work for what I am needing.  LOL  I'll run by another local store that I know has it it stock, tomorrow, and should be able to swap that out later tomorrow afternoon/evening.

I drove the truck to work today, about 45 miles, one way.  The truck ran great, and I realized how different it was not having to go slower than everybody else, and actually being able to pass other vehicles on the road and maintain speed up the big hills.  On the way home, the Oil Pressure gauge started acting funny, which I believe is more of an electrical issue than anything, since the engine didn't heat up or make any strange noises.  I'm planning on adding a T fitting to the plumbing and adding in a temporary mechanical gauge.

Here's a quick "ride along" video from the initial highway cruise, night before last (and showing good oil pressure)

bchrismer

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »
Been driving the truck for the past week.  It seems to be running good, however, I didn't like where the temp gauge was reading, versus what I was used to with the flatty.  It got me wondering about what thermostat rating that I had put into the motor.  I shot the engine with an infrared thermometer and it was showing around 195-200 on the intake. 

After doing some digging, I found the invoice for the thermostat that I installed, and it showed as a 195 degree.  I went ahead and swapped it for a 180, during the lunch hour (a benefit of working from home), and took it for a test ride.  The gauge did drop down to a location that I preferred, and the temperature remained steady between a pass down the highway and then some in town, stop and go traffic.

Unfortunately, the 283 should have gotten a new rear main seal, before I put it in, so it appears that I will be pulling it out later this fall to swap the seal and oil pan gasket.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 10:46:46 PM »
Been driving the truck for the past week.  It seems to be running good, however, I didn't like where the temp gauge was reading, versus what I was used to with the flatty.  It got me wondering about what thermostat rating that I had put into the motor.  I shot the engine with an infrared thermometer and it was showing around 195-200 on the intake. 

After doing some digging, I found the invoice for the thermostat that I installed, and it showed as a 195 degree.  I went ahead and swapped it for a 180, during the lunch hour (a benefit of working from home), and took it for a test ride.  The gauge did drop down to a location that I preferred, and the temperature remained steady between a pass down the highway and then some in town, stop and go traffic.

Unfortunately, the 283 should have gotten a new rear main seal, before I put it in, so it appears that I will be pulling it out later this fall to swap the seal and oil pan gasket.

Good to hear you are getting it all sorted. Pity about the main seal, that can be a real pita.
I think pretty quick after I get home, I will build the fake 270hp283 for my t-Tudor. It's kind of bass-awkwards as the car is a LONG way from done, but all the parts are there, and other than head work, it's ready to go together. If nothing else, it will take up less space assembled. :D I usually start a car build with the motor anyway, after all, that's the best part!
I have to do the guides and port the heads, and also fudge the bolt pattern so I can use my '57 stagger bolt valve covers, I already have a clever scheme cooked up. I will do a build thread when I put it together.

29bowtie

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
Is this your stake truck in the background?  :D
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

bchrismer

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 03:27:56 PM »
No, and the more I studied that photo, the more I determined it was either a home built or aftermarket bed.