Picking a colour for a T Tudor

jaded iconoclast

Picking a colour for a T Tudor
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:53:05 PM »
Ok, I wouldn't even bother doing this on the HAMB, but my ring set came today, and I am going to build the motor when I come back from holidays, so I really have to make up my mind, so think of this as an informal poll.
I believe that colour is an integral part of the whole picture and has to mesh with the overall "theme" of the build, so I will give a good overall idea of the direction this car is going to take. Its a full fendered '26 T Tudor with a hood top, no side panels, Chrome grill shell, unchopped, with a '57 270hp 283, T-10, and '61 Corvette rear, lots of '56-'62 Corvette parts throughout, gauges, motor mounts, engine details, ect. Basically as if a guy built a T sedan in the early sixties by parting out a totaled Corvette.
I am borrowing a bunch of stuff from the first version from the Ala-Kart as well, the aforementioned '60 Corvette gauges, stucco finish embossed aluminum firewall and dash, '57 Ford steering wheel, '54 ford swing pedals, chromed firewall mounted early ford masters for brakes and clutch.White T&R, chromed garnish moldings, piping and MAYBE t&r inserts matching the exterior colour. The engine will be painted body colour (hence the rather pressing need to make up my mind, after going back and forth for the last two years or so ::) ) and the running boards, frame and top insert will also be white. Big and little wide whites with '55/'56 short bar lancer caps, 7" King bees with chrome trim rings and body colour buckets, and '52 Buick Special tail-lights round it out.
So on to the colours. In keeping with the theme, I am looking only at early Corvette colours.

My top choice so far, Cascade Green

A VERY close second, or maybe first, depending on what day you ask me, Classic Cream

I'm not really seriously thinking of this one as much, but it does cross my mind, so I will throw it in as a wild card, Roman Red.

I'm kinda curious to see what the consensus is, in the end, it probably wont make any difference, and I am REALLY leaning toward Cascade Green most of the time, but the Classic Cream does really grab me. I'm REALLY having a tough time making up my mind between these two colours, and I gotta order paint and get this motor together when I get back. Lets be clear here, Me too black, primer, bare metal and Honduras maroon are NOT in the hunt. So lets hear your opinions.

Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive

Thirty2ragtop

Re: Picking a colour for a T Tudor
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »
Cascade Green which came out for the time in 1956 was used on the 1956 Corvette.  With or without painted white or same color side reveals, it was an incredible color.......for that period on a medium sized car with white walls and Rock Hudson or Doris Day sitting in the car.  It was used (maybe under a different name) of the full sized hardtops and convertibles...again white walls and the whole deal.   If that's the image you wish to project, then the color MIGHT work.  But remember, whitewalls, chrome, etc. etc.....my humble observation only

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:09:19 PM »
By the way...I don't believe that the 60 Corvette above has been painted Cascade Green offered in 56/57.  It is Cascade Green but with a different formula.  However the White wall and chrome idea should still apply.  Those cars from 56 through 60 had a lot of chrome and an over abundance about them. ........Still it might work.  Your car, your money, your paint.....your way.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:16:12 PM »
Thanks for your input thirty2. :) Yes, there are two drastically different Cascade Greens, I should have been more clear, I am looking at the 1960 metallic version, not really the earlier one, with is a solid colour, and too "poke 'em in the eyes" for what I want.

Striper

• Whetstone Pinstriping
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 12:24:43 AM »
 I do like the Cascade Green , it has a nice soft look about it . Something to consider , If the body and engine are going to be the same color , that Cream color might be a nice touch on the firewall for a little contrast so the engine color doesn't blend into the body . m2c
Anything worth doing is worth doing right . -- Frank Kurtis

Daves 40cp

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 09:29:52 AM »
I agree with Striper. I think the blending of the green with the cream would look killer.
Daves 40cp

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:23:12 AM »
I do like the Cascade Green , it has a nice soft look about it . Something to consider , If the body and engine are going to be the same color , that Cream color might be a nice touch on the firewall for a little contrast so the engine color doesn't blend into the body . m2c
That's an excellent idea, but I was planning to do the firewall and dash in stucco embossed aluminum, like the Ala-Kart.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 12:08:46 PM »
That's an excellent idea, but I was planning to do the firewall and dash in stucco embossed aluminum, like the Ala-Kart.

A better view.
Wow it's been 10 yrs.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »
60's Vibe.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 12:45:45 PM »
TSX, I'll take that as another vote for Cascade Green. And yes, early sixties vibe is what I am shooting for.

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 06:18:27 PM »
Be sure to update us as the build progresses !

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 08:46:39 PM »
well, this one will be awhile, I am doing the T-bucket first. Im just going to do the motor, everything is here, but I gotta settle on a colour first! Cascade Green it is.

DavyJ

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 09:18:25 PM »
I think that is the right choice with the plan you have in place,  can't wait to see it come together!
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »
I will start a build thread on my T-bucket this fall. In a couple weeks, I am leaving the country for a month, so things will be pretty much at a standstill till after I get back, and the front axle is being dropped right now, I wont get that back till October, by that time, I should also have tires and the back wheels, once that happens there should be some action worth showing. I have to change the front spring perch, its currently set up for spring behind, and I am definitely doing spring over, once I get wheels and tires and a front end under it, it should start to look like something.