Gauge question

Steves32

Gauge question
« on: June 17, 2017, 07:50:17 PM »
This is a new Stewart Warner Wings elect water temp gauge I’m having issues with.
At first, seems accurate & worked well. Had an issue with the sender for radiator fan so I ordered a new sender. Time to replace that sender. Looking at both senders for rad fan & gauge- they look the same. So......... I’m sure which is the one for radiator fan. I remove wire from post & short it to manifold. Fan doesn’t come on. I can hear a click inside car. So, I removed lead from other sender & shorted it & fan came right on. Damn. Now radiator fan operates perfectly but gauge is not so perfect. At rest cold energized, it shows 150 degrees. It climbs to 190-200 & stays there. Checking temps w/ a laser, temps are actually 170. It’s favorite place to stay is at about 195. Before when fan came on, temp dropped. Also took 5 minutes to reach operating temp on gauge before. Now it hits 195 before I can get out of the driveway. So- did I damage the SW Wings gauge when I shorted the sender lead to ground?

DavyJ

Re: Gauge question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:38:40 PM »
It should not have damaged the sender, but maybe you have a bad ground on the sender  did you use the copper Teflon tape for conductivity?
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

Steves32

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 02:12:38 PM »
No, I use ARP liquid teflon. I never use tape on senders. Remember, gauge was working before this. Also note- I was thinking this over & when I said I shorted the sender wire to ground, I first did it w/ a screwdriver at top of sender post to manifold. On the sender for fan, it goes to ground when it hits temp so grounding it isn’t an issue. However, on other brands of electric gauges, I see they warn about the sender lead terminal at back of gauge not contacting power or ground. So, maybe, just maybe I F’d up. :)
I’m betting sender is ok but I bet I damaged the gauge itself.

Steves32

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »
Here’s an update if anyone interested. Shorting sender & sender wire to ground damaged the gauge. Ordered a new gauge. Installed it & all is well. Also ordered a new sender & changed it anyway, although it was fine. Just FIY. This may not happen to all brand elect temp gauges but it did with the modern SW Wings gauges.

32drifter

• Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R. Tolkien
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »
 :)  THANKS! for the FYI on the gauge... but what an electrifying situation ! LOL   

DavyJ

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 05:57:53 PM »
Thanks for the update.that kind of info is always useful down the road.
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!