Dick Hirschberg's roadster - Hot Rod November 1967

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
Dick Hirschberg's roadster - Hot Rod November 1967
« on: June 17, 2017, 10:26:46 AM »
Dick Hirschberg's roadster, his 11th, earned a feature in Hot Rod.

jaded iconoclast

Re: Dick Hirschberg's roadster - Hot Rod November 1967
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 02:21:11 PM »
Gas Rondas Mustang on the cover, and Gary Burgins green willys inside. I had already been primed by my dads Car Lifes and Spotlight books, this was one of the first Hot Rod magazines I bought with my allowance. I was like 7 yrs old. This car is burned on the retina of my internal eyeball.

Fordors

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 02:42:06 PM »
Gas Rondas Mustang on the cover, and Gary Burgins green willys inside. I had already been primed by my dads Car Lifes and Spotlight books, this was one of the first Hot Rod magazines I bought with my allowance. I was like 7 yrs old. This car is burned on the retina of my internal eyeball.

There are many cars and their builders that I remember too. Some would think that hot rodders might have just started out as impressionable youth but I think it goes beyond that. Early on many of us had an eye for mechanical perfection, each of us forming likes and dislikes that would shape us later. I learned a number of different skill sets being in this past time and I am proud that I have passed them on to my sons and hope to follow that with my grandsons too.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 03:36:28 PM »
Its not the same world now. And honestly, that's ok for me. I wish it still was, but its not, and thats ok. Its impossible to explain to someone who didn't live through the sixties car scene (and I know you did) but its gone, and its gone forever. It was something that some of us lived through, and for us, its a huge part of our life experience, but theres no re-creating that. The best part of what it is is only in memories now. I love getting together with other guys that are my peer group, and really lived it and experienced it. Because I got involved in the scene as a young kid, most of those guys are older than me. I went for lunch a couple weeks ago with Frank and Willys Jim, I sure enjoyed that, its not very often now that I get to go back. Its different now, its only really in memory.
You can build cars that re-create some of that memory, but you are still working on them, or standing there looking at them in THIS time and place. Theres no changing that, you cant go back to Leisens Automotive in 1970, or to the PNE foodmart building in 1969, even if you could re-create the place and the cars, its 2017. The Indy 500 doesn't matter anymore, and it doesn't matter if Mickey Thompson or the Summers Bros run faster than Donald Campbell did, and it doesn't matter anymore if the GT-40s beat the Ferraris at Le Mans.
And its ok. Something is lost to time, but its ok.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 06:50:10 PM »
Its not the same world now. And honestly, that's ok for me. I wish it still was, but its not, and thats ok. Its impossible to explain to someone who didn't live through the sixties car scene (and I know you did) but its gone, and its gone forever. It was something that some of us lived through, and for us, its a huge part of our life experience, but theres no re-creating that. The best part of what it is is only in memories now. I love getting together with other guys that are my peer group, and really lived it and experienced it. Because I got involved in the scene as a young kid, most of those guys are older than me. I went for lunch a couple weeks ago with Frank and Willys Jim, I sure enjoyed that, its not very often now that I get to go back. Its different now, its only really in memory.
You can build cars that re-create some of that memory, but you are still working on them, or standing there looking at them in THIS time and place. Theres no changing that, you cant go back to Leisens Automotive in 1970, or to the PNE foodmart building in 1969, even if you could re-create the place and the cars, its 2017. The Indy 500 doesn't matter anymore, and it doesn't matter if Mickey Thompson or the Summers Bros run faster than Donald Campbell did, and it doesn't matter anymore if the GT-40s beat the Ferraris at Le Mans.
And its ok. Something is lost to time, but its ok.
Well said.But It does matter if the Gt 40's beat Ferrari at Lemans for me. ;D
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.