32 Crash and a lesson

ChevRon

32 Crash and a lesson
« on: June 15, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
   My shop mate's 32 3 window. 130,000 miles. Yes , he drove the crap out of it. He had recently changed out the engine and had a local guy tune the engine. The car was to be picked up at a certain time, but the tuner got behind and hurriedly tuned the carb. Took it out for test drive, but forgot the throttle return springs. He went to WOT, car hooked up went sideways, straighten out then went sideways again,. Went through a metal drive way gate and ended up on a concrete planter. Body is an original Henry from Dave Crouse who built the car. Body was not damaged, WHEW!. Front axle cracked.
  I walked into the shop and my heart was broken. Then my friend (owner) came and explained what happened. My shopmate said he was going to paint car anyway, so was not too upset in that it didn't hurt the body or frame. . Car is going to Brizio,s
  Sometimes we get in a hurry or distracted it is easy to overlook something. Pics below

Tom

• Administrator
Re: 32 Crash and a lesson
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 02:31:19 PM »
Wow!  He was lucky it didn't end up worse than it did.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 02:35:05 PM »
Wow!  He was lucky it didn't end up worse than it did.
x 2 real lucky!
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 04:21:09 PM »
Ron,
Glad no one was hurt.I guess I'll be seeing it at the shop soon.Ron, The axle looks like a Henry that was filled & drilled.Wow that's just a crying shame.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

ChevRon

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 05:18:58 PM »
Yep Beppie He was going to take it to someone else, so I called Dave and he passed it along to Roy. Roy called  saying he would do it.  Very lucky and glad no one was hurt . The car has a built in cage, might have helped with the small amount of  damage. A real shame about the whole deal.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
Ron,
Glad no one was hurt.I guess I'll be seeing it at the shop soon.Ron, The axle looks like a Henry that was filled & drilled.Wow that's just a crying shame.

Thats my thoughts, most of it is fixable, but its a hell of a shame about that axle.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »
Is it an optical illusion, or was this axle previously drilled and had slugs welded into the holes?

ChevRon

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 06:27:28 PM »
It's an illusion. The axle has a normal thin web in the center, but it does look like it. Crappy picture.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
Yep Beppie He was going to take it to someone else, so I called Dave and he passed it along to Roy. Roy called  saying he would do it.  Very lucky and glad no one was hurt . The car has a built in cage, might have helped with the small amount of  damage. A real shame about the whole deal.
Been thinking about putting in a hoop like Cliff's in with some tubes running off the back for some help.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

DavyJ

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 12:24:21 AM »
So sad when things go horribly wrong.  Don't want to see the bill on that one
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!