pickin' and a'grinnin'

jaded iconoclast

Re: pickin' and a'grinnin'
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2018, 09:19:34 PM »
George, first I have to say that I have a very visual imagination, and it often gets me into trouble  :o.  I'm old enough that I simply can't help but envision this car when someone mentions brass plating...

LOL
the horror......the horror........

Superfly !  ahh, the early 70's....  an era we'd all like to forget.
ah you know, I don't feel that way. There were a LOT of VERY cool cars around, and some really great music (not necessarily the Superfly theme, but there was Delany and Bonnie & Friends, the Allman Bros, Pat Travers, Bruce Laing & Trower, Jeff Beck, ect.) The cruise scene and street racing around here were way over the top, it was an amazing time to be alive. The cars were hot, muscle was cheap, the music was loud, the sex was safe, the girls were easy, and the drugs were GREAT!! ;D

Defining the seventies by disco is kind of like defining the sixties by the Monkees!
Wanted: Used +030 TRW L2249 or Speed Pro 7061P 12.5/1 289/302 ford pistons

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2018, 09:27:58 PM »
George, first I have to say that I have a very visual imagination, and it often gets me into trouble  :o.  I'm old enough that I simply can't help but envision this car when someone mentions brass plating...

LOL
There was a lot of cool cars in the 70's.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2018, 09:35:58 PM »

LOL

ah you know, I don't feel that way. There were a LOT of VERY cool cars around, and some really great music (not necessarily the Superfly theme, but there was Delany and Bonnie & Friends, the Allman Bros, Pat Travers, Bruce Laing & Trower, Jeff Beck, ect.) The cruise scene and street racing around here were way over the top, it was an amazing time to be alive. The cars were hot, muscle was cheap, the music was loud, the sex was safe, the girls were easy, and the drugs were GREAT!! ;D

Defining the seventies by disco is kind of like defining the sixties by the Monkees!

okay you got me there.  I was a big Eric Clapton plus Crosby Stills & Nash fan and was into all kinds of rock - The Eagles, Allman Brothers, Santana, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, etc., plus dabbled in blues - Hound Dog Taylor, Muddie Waters, Freddie King, and others.   So yeah the music WAS great, not so polished as today.  DISCO SUCKS !  lol!  To my dismay, I completely ignored the fact that the GIRLS loved disco.  WHAT a missed opportunity...

Anyhow  - back to topic.  I'd like to hear more of your overall plan for the T; that would better identify if chrome or brass was a better fit.

Daves 40cp

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »
George, I have to agree with Larry on this one. I never was much of a fan of brass on a bucket, and your build sounds like keep it clean, neat but get there quick. This just my opinion as I have had 7 T Buckets and I don't remember brass on any of them.
Brass is King Dave.This is my friend Roger & Kaye's Deuce frame.
OMG Beppie, you sure make a strong case for the NEVER ENOUGH BRASS GUYS!  :o
Daves 40cp

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2018, 01:18:57 AM »
George, I have to agree with Larry on this one. I never was much of a fan of brass on a bucket, and your build sounds like keep it clean, neat but get there quick. This just my opinion as I have had 7 T Buckets and I don't remember brass on any of them.
By the way Dave,It's a Brizio frame.
Growing up around this stuff,Well there wasn't much use of brass.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »
By the way Dave,It's a Brizio frame.
Growing up around this stuff,Well there wasn't much use of brass.
When I first started working on this deal, I wasn't picturing ANY brass whatsoever. It arose spontaneously out of polishing the brass parts on the Hilborns. I still haven't really made up my mind whether I want to carry that theme further, but its there now, the seed has been planted. That brass frame blows my mind, and it would work SO much better with an intense orange than the pale yellow. Its unlikely that I would go THAT far, but WOW! It is an interesting thought...

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2018, 06:06:09 PM »
Anyhow  - back to topic.  I'd like to hear more of your overall plan for the T; that would better identify if chrome or brass was a better fit.
Ok, well the main influence is the Penry car,

The idea is to make it look like a typical mid-sixties T-Bucket with lots of drag racer influence. I am not trying to make it look like a drag car, I am trying to make it look like a sixties hot rod that was heavily influenced by the drag cars of the time, it may seem like a minor distinction, but its not. Spring over, 3.5" dropped and drilled axle, with split and drilled Model A wishbones, body colour grill shell and headlights, 10x30 pie-crusts on 16x8.5 sixties vintage torq thrust look-a-likes on the back, sixties 15x6 American Sport wheels on the front, probably 45 fin Buick drums, I will mock it up with 45 fins and with regular '39-'41 drums and decide which I prefer. Heavy drag race influence between the grill shell and the firewall,, 327 with a big roller, corvette valve covers with spacers and breathers, '61 Corvette cast iron tach drive dual point with a sixties SW mechanical tach, Hilborn injectors, white 1 3/4" Schoenfeld sprint car headers with added 4-bolt collector flanges and drops going under the car to 2.5" glasspacks for the sixties vibe.
The drag racer influence will continue in the interior with a small rectangular moon dragster style gas pedal and silver flake 13" Moon wheel, a fabricated brake pedal with lightening holes, and a home-made shifter designed to look like the circa 1965-66 B&M FS series shifters (trans is a T350 with a 9.5" freakshow converter, about 35-3800 stall), and low-back fiberglass buckets, upholstered with the typical Tony Nancy style 1" wide rectangular pleats, where he sewed vertical 1" wide pleats, then folded them over horizontally every 3" and sewed across, to make the rectangular pleats you see in so many dragster seats from that era. '57 smooth-back 9" ford with probably 4.86s, hung from corvair coils with 30" ladder bars and a watts linkage mounted off the pinion nose, typical mid sixties Chuck Finders rear suspension.
The rest is typical mid-sixties T-bucket, Body is '23-'25, colour is '56 Packard Naples Orange, upholstery is going to be metallic silver, body colour 6" 98-99 King Bees, Brass Moto-Meter with wings, full height 1915-22 round-top windshield, box length is tentatively 20", but that may change, once I have the tires and wheels on it, I plan to make a box out of cardboard, roll it outside, and take a good long look at it before I finalize that. Wheelbase is slightly longer than the Penry car, 94-96 inches, depending on how all the final packaging goes. As I have to set the caster when I do the front spring perch, that has to come last, after the rear axle is hung and the car is sitting on all four tires that will be run on it, but I figure it should come out between 94 and 96 inches.

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2018, 06:17:51 PM »
The perfect base of a T-Bucket!   Thanks for the posting!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2018, 09:26:41 PM »
Check this out. I have always planned get the ass end of the car relatively low, and rather than mount the corvair coils to the top of the axle tubes and outboard of the frame rails as was typical in seventies T-buckets, I wanted to hang the lower spring mounting cups off the backside of the tubes as Chuck Finders and others did when they typically used Corvair coils in a gasser or funny car, and cut half circles out of the inside of the frame rails, and inset the upper mounting cups into the inside of the frame rails. So here are the plans from the Car Craft t-bucket build for the lower rear coil spring mounts they used. I was planning to make something similar, but design it so the spring mounting surface was aligned with the bottom of the axle tube, rather than the middle...

But then I was going through Paul Hortons catalog, and spotted this mount, intended for use with an air bag.

I think I can combine elements of these two mounts together, and make it so it sits the mounting plate even with the lower side of the axle tube, and make something REALLY slick.
I was talking about this with Larry the other day off-forum, I am also designing/making a bracket that will weld to the inside of the rail, and mount the master cylinder to the backside of the bracket tight to the inside of the rail, and mount the corvair steering box between the master and the trans, off the front side of the same bracket. My first attempt was made out of 5 separate pieces, including the gussets, after I looked at my first template and thought about it a bit, I realized there was a different way I could do it where I could cut that down to 2 pieces by combining the steering box mount and front gusset into one piece, and the master cylinder mount and the gusset for the backside of the steering box mount into the second piece, and putting an arc in the front of the gusset so the brake rod passes underneath the gusset, and it will be stronger and lighter as well. I haven't made a pattern yet, as I am picking up the master I will use at Lordco on Sunday. Once I have the master, I will make a final cardboard template, and post it, before I get Doug to cut the pieces on his pantograph. I know its not very clear the way I am describing it, but when you see the pattern it will make sense. I don't want to do it till I have the master in hand, because I want the two screw caps on the top of the master to be flush with the bottom edge of the floor, then I will cut a hole in the floor, roll a dropped bead around the hole, and make a door that flips up, and fits into the bead, so when its closed, its flush with the top of the floor. So you can flip the carpet back, open the flip-up door, and access the caps for the master, and the master can be tucked up tight, so it doesn't hand down below the bottom of the rail anymore than is necessary.

DavyJ

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2018, 09:35:35 PM »
Great recipe you have....and looking forward to following along as this dream comes to life....thanks
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2018, 09:48:50 PM »
Heres the typical T-bucket corvair coils set-up I am talking about...Ugh! This is how my second-hand late sixties chassis is currently set up, its GOTTA go!

And heres the typical Chuck Finders style corvair coil set-up you would see under a mid-sixties gasser...Yay!!

If you are gonna rip off other guys ideas, at least copy the heros, not the hacks... ;D

Daves 40cp

« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2018, 11:32:49 PM »
Ok, well the main influence is the Penry car,

The idea is to make it look like a typical mid-sixties T-Bucket with lots of drag racer influence. I am not trying to make it look like a drag car, I am trying to make it look like a sixties hot rod that was heavily influenced by the drag cars of the time, it may seem like a minor distinction, but its not. Spring over, 3.5" dropped and drilled axle, with split and drilled Model A wishbones, body colour grill shell and headlights, 10x30 pie-crusts on 16x8.5 sixties vintage torq thrust look-a-likes on the back, sixties 15x6 American Sport wheels on the front, probably 45 fin Buick drums, I will mock it up with 45 fins and with regular '39-'41 drums and decide which I prefer. Heavy drag race influence between the grill shell and the firewall,, 327 with a big roller, corvette valve covers with spacers and breathers, '61 Corvette cast iron tach drive dual point with a sixties SW mechanical tach, Hilborn injectors, white 1 3/4" Schoenfeld sprint car headers with added 4-bolt collector flanges and drops going under the car to 2.5" glasspacks for the sixties vibe.
The drag racer influence will continue in the interior with a small rectangular moon dragster style gas pedal and silver flake 13" Moon wheel, a fabricated brake pedal with lightening holes, and a home-made shifter designed to look like the circa 1965-66 B&M FS series shifters (trans is a T350 with a 9.5" freakshow converter, about 35-3800 stall), and low-back fiberglass buckets, upholstered with the typical Tony Nancy style 1" wide rectangular pleats, where he sewed vertical 1" wide pleats, then folded them over horizontally every 3" and sewed across, to make the rectangular pleats you see in so many dragster seats from that era. '57 smooth-back 9" ford with probably 4.86s, hung from corvair coils with 30" ladder bars and a watts linkage mounted off the pinion nose, typical mid sixties Chuck Finders rear suspension.
The rest is typical mid-sixties T-bucket, Body is '23-'25, colour is '56 Packard Naples Orange, upholstery is going to be metallic silver, body colour 6" 98-99 King Bees, Brass Moto-Meter with wings, full height 1915-22 round-top windshield, box length is tentatively 20", but that may change, once I have the tires and wheels on it, I plan to make a box out of cardboard, roll it outside, and take a good long look at it before I finalize that. Wheelbase is slightly longer than the Penry car, 94-96 inches, depending on how all the final packaging goes. As I have to set the caster when I do the front spring perch, that has to come last, after the rear axle is hung and the car is sitting on all four tires that will be run on it, but I figure it should come out between 94 and 96 inches.

Now that's what i'm talking about!
Daves 40cp

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2018, 10:42:08 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( DAMN IT!!! I was all set up to go to Dougs today, I was going to split and drill my wishbones, use his lathe to drill the 15/16 hole in the top of my corvair box so I can reverse it, and make a steering shaft. Got up 6.30 am ready to make a day of it, I am sick to my stomach and have the goddam runs!!!! >:( >:( >:( I was at my kids sports day yesterday and had a hot dog, that probably what did it. CRAP!!!

Fordors

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2018, 11:08:52 AM »
George, George we feel for you man, but TMI! :o
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2018, 11:17:22 AM »
George, George we feel for you man, but TMI! :o
Remember at Woodstock, "Don't eat the brown acid"? Well, at school sports days "DONT EAT THE HOT DOGS!!!" ;D Having a kid at school that I am responsible for picking up, and add in all her activities, its difficult for me to organize full "shop days" at Dougs, and he is over 1/2 an hour away. He has a lot of equipment that I don't have, like two lathes, a big press, his pipe bender can handle bigger material than mine, he has the 11/16 taps for Ford rod ends, ect. Getting a day organized, and then having to cancel at the last minute is really a PAIN! I was really looking forward to getting this done, it constitutes a big leap forward on getting to a rolling chassis. Now I gotta put it off for another week. >:(
The other thing is, I have the equipment to prep the wishbones for plating here at home, but theres no point in starting that until they are split and drilled, so not getting that done today means that I cant start on prepping them for plating for another week. And I cant finalize the steering box mount until I have a steering shaft made and the box reversed. I have been held up on other stuff I can do here at home, waiting to get these other things done, now that ALL gets pushed back for another week. Once Emily finishes school for the summer, then I can do shop days at Dougs during the week, because I don't have to be back in Surrey to pick her up at two. Doug has Parkinsons, so he really cant get functioning till around 10:30am, it takes a couple hours for his meds to kick in, And it takes about 45 minutes to get back from his place, so I have to leave his place around 1 to be on time to pick Emily up, its not really worth it to go out there on a schoolday, I would spend an hour and a half total traveling for about 2 hours of actual shop time.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »
The subject of master cylinders and fitting them in early cars came up the other day on Rogers thread, so I figured I would post this. As long as the master is out of sight, these are my favorite, 80's Mopar, they are VEERY light, inexpensive ( I bought two of these from my local parts guy for $45 each CDN, one for the T-Bucket and one for the Chevy II, Summit sells the same one in a Cardone box for like $27 US) and they are not very tall, which is a big deal in a car like a t-bucket. They also have the brake lines coming out on the pass. side, so when you install them backwards in a hot rod application, the brake lines exit on the side away from the frame rail, which makes for easier brake line routing, IMO. This is a new piece, not a rebuild, and has a 1.031 bore, which will provide a comfortable pedal effort without a booster. I have been using these in sixties GM and Mopar muscle car type applications since they first came out, mostly for the light weight and compact size.