pickin' and a'grinnin'

jaded iconoclast

Re: pickin' and a'grinnin'
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 10:22:37 PM »
I had been going back and forth for a while about reversing the Corvair steering box or not, I finally decided I will reverse it, so I tore it down. It is CHERRY inside, all the bearings and races, even the balls in the block all look great. So I don't need the $85 US rebuild kit, I will just cut some new gaskets, drill the hole in the other end, put a plug in the hole where the steering shaft originally went in, and bobs yer uncle.
The original plan was to run it in polished aluminum, but some of the pits are too deep, I can see already it would have a wavy finish, and I HATE that. Instead, I will clean the pits out with a drill, fill them with two part epoxy, prime it, block it out, and paint it gloss Naples orange, same as the engine. The frame is going to be gloss black, and the pitman arm chromed, it will look sharp, probably even better than the polished aluminum would have looked.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »
I have already posted these elsewhere on here, but for the sake of continuity, if this is going to be the build thread, I should get everything in one place. This is the frame I am starting with, but its getting re-worked front and rear spring mounts and some other stuff

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 04:48:46 PM »
prepping the steering box for paint. I plan to fill the pits with Splashzone epoxy, but it wont stick to dirt and corrosion, so I gotta drill out EVERY pit with a drill bit or dremel bit on the big ones, until all the black shit is gone and I have shiny aluminum. And there are LOTS of pits.

Its times like this when you can start to appreciate why guys build rat rods. ;D

Retirement too boring? Nothing on TV? Too much time on your hands?? Have I got a solution for YOU! ::) ;)

DavyJ

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 05:20:08 PM »
Whats with all those huge dustpan like shovels in the corner of the garage?  I did not think it snowed in BC! ;D ;D

Project is starting to gather some speed.....
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 05:24:39 PM »
Whats with all those huge dustpan like shovels in the corner of the garage?  I did not think it snowed in BC! ;D ;D

Project is starting to gather some speed.....
It doesn't, my wife uses those to shovel up the big steaming piles when I am talking too much! ;D

DavyJ

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2017, 05:31:57 PM »
Have you tried polishing it with a mounted flapwheel on a die grinder?  if you start with a 36 or 60 grit, it should cut right through the pits in areas where you can spare some material.......

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2017, 05:36:06 PM »
What about walnut shell media blast?

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2017, 05:46:19 PM »
Have you tried polishing it with a mounted flapwheel on a die grinder?  if you start with a 36 or 60 grit, it should cut right through the pits in areas where you can spare some material.......
I don't want to make low spots, I HATE a wavy finish. In fact, I started to do that here, made a low, and mangled the line,

and didn't even get rid of the pitted area, so I will sand the area in the red oval with 220 and do a shallow fill with epoxy and bring the contour back. Then I will sand it with a piece of wood and some 320, prime and paint it.  This is a bit tedious, but it goes fairly fast once you get going.

DavyJ

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »
I was thinking more about the bolt boss where you could take out the whole area evenly.............I see your point on the low spots on the body.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 08:01:36 PM »
I was thinking more about the bolt boss where you could take out the whole area evenly.............I see your point on the low spots on the body.
ah, I see. The pits there are pretty deep, that's the worst area I don't know if I would want to remove that much materlal. Speaking of "removing material" I didn't notice it till I washed up, but when I was doing this, the other end of the pin vise was doing a fine job of "removing material" from the palm of my hand. :o ;D.

So I took a breather from more pit drilling today, and cleaned up the $5 Q-jet I picked up at Monroe instead. I do kind of tend to get focused on what I'm doing sometimes. ;D

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »
Woo-Hoo! Axles are here! The top one is for the T-bucket, and dropped 3 3/4", the bottom one is for my full-fendered T Tudor, and dropped a full 4". Both were dropped by Jeremy Mang at Victory Hot Rods in Nanoose Bay BC, he did a nice job. :) I have a couple divots that I have to tig up, then I will peak and drill the top one, and prep it for plating.

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2017, 07:06:06 PM »
Very nice