pickin' and a'grinnin'

Fordors

Re: pickin' and a'grinnin'
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 10:48:11 PM »
Here are resized photos
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 11:14:29 PM »
Here are resized photos
Very cool Larry.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »
Here are resized photos
That's a really nice hammer Larry.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »
Heres most of my hammers. I have had the two green ones on the top left for eons, they are seventies era Craftsman, not horrible, nothing fancy. The two red and white ones below that were my dads, I think they are Snap-on, my dad had them since the fifties, they are old. They look a bit awkward but are actually quite well balanced and nice to use, I especially use the ball end one a lot. The two on the top left are 50 yr old Martins I recently bought from a local panel beater that has retired, they are NICE freakin hammers! I try to use them sparingly and take very good care of them. I also have a home-made stretching hammer I use for aluminum shaping, I made it from a baseball bat, but its not in the pic.

DavyJ

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 07:25:13 PM »
nice collection!  the right tools sure mean a difference in how the work turns out...
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 07:28:21 PM »
nice collection!  the right tools sure mean a difference in how the work turns out...
The most important "tool" is the tool swinging the hammer :P ;D, that's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it! :o

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 09:32:56 PM »
Well this should make HemiDeuce (a little) happy. I have been blocking my chassis off the garage floor and fooling around with engine height/position in preparation for when my axle comes back, so I can build the new front perch. He came by yesterday looked at it and said "it looks pretty low". I told him the frame rail was 7" off the ground at the front of the motor, 10" ahead of the kickup and the bottom of the pan was 4.5" off the ground, he said "that's pretty low, I set my car up at 4" and the pan got scraped".
So I blocked the frame back up at 7" again, and dropped the motor in with a 4.5" block under the pan, and 2" between the end of the water pump shaft and where I figured the rad core will end up, leveled and squared the motor with the rails,and hung a body side on it. It looked ok, but I felt like maybe it had a little more rake than I wanted, I am trying to proportion it similar to the Chuck Penry car

So I made a thicker set of blocks that put the pan sump at 4 7/8" (See, I DO listen to your advice! :)) and took another look, but that put the top of the distributor cap even with where I figured the top of the cowl would be, so the engine was sitting higher than the Penry car relative to the body, and I still felt it had too much rake.
So I left the engine where it was, lowered the back of the frame an inch, and raised the front 3/4 of an inch.the frame rail is just under 8" off the ground at the front of the engine, and 9" in front of the kickup. The distributor is about 1/4" away from where the firewall will end up, and below the cowl top and theres 2" to the rad core. It also leveled the frame rail with the pan rail. It looks like the wheelbase is going to end up about 93", according to the car Craft article, the Penry car was 92".
 This is where I am going to put it when I set up the front and rear suspension mounts, I'm pretty happy with this.

On Saturday, I am going to go up to my other place, and dig out the front drums and spindles I am going to use, and bring back a T350 case, so I can establish where the trans mount will end up, and I plan to mount the ladder bars to the trans crossmember, so that should really help get everything nailed down. Then I can start locating the steering box and master cylinder.

Fordors

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 10:10:29 PM »
George, the frame on the Penry car looks to have rake to it but the engine is level and I think that is one of the keys to it's "look". The radiator and firewall look vertical and the level valve covers forming a right angle with the firewall look natural to me. Chuck is riding kinda high in the car, probably a result of the frame rake causing the seat to be high.
I sold off all the early Car Crafts I had and I can't go back and look at the article, so I am forming these  thoughts only by what I see in the photos posted.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »
George, the frame on the Penry car looks to have rake to it but the engine is level and I think that is one of the keys to it's "look". The radiator and firewall look vertical and the level valve covers forming a right angle with the firewall look natural to me. Chuck is riding kinda high in the car, probably a result of the frame rake causing the seat to be high.
I sold off all the early Car Crafts I had and I can't go back and look at the article, so I am forming these  thoughts only by what I see in the photos posted.
Now that I look, you might be right. I never considered that the body was channeled more at the back than the front, that would explain why my distributor was too high. I will mess around with that, I will try dropping the front of the frame back down and tipping the body and engine up a bit towards the front.

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »
You couldn't pick a better car to use as an example!!!  It's so much better than most....to my eye.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  could you you build to of 'um??????

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »
A little irony here. If I were on that "other" forum, I would be catching holy hell for putting an automatic in it, you know, not "traditional" bla, bla, bla, "street rod parts" yadda, yadda, yadda. Both the Penry car and the other car that is really influencing the direction this has taken, the Dick Thompson Bucket, ran hydros. ;D

I wonder how many of the guys that would be bitching could actually drive a 500ish-hp, 94" WB car with 4.88s, slicks no footroom and a stick in anger.  ;D

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »
You couldn't pick a better car to use as an example!!!  It's so much better than most....to my eye.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  could you you build to of 'um??????
like! ;D

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
Ya' got good taste!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »
Well, I took Larrys words to heart, went downstairs this afternoon, and pretty much started over. I dropped the front of the frame back down to 7" at the front motormounts, and raised it back up to 10" at the kick-up, and leveled the body with the ground. Stood back and took a look, held up the Car Craft with Penrys car in it, and promptly raised the ass end of the frame another inch! The body is now channeled the same 3" at the firewall, but its 4.5" at the start of the kick-up, big difference. Tilting the body back kind of lowered the distributor relative the cowl, it looks right now. I also "sat" in it for the first time, I just laid a piece of 1/4" plywood  on top of the rails and laid a 2x4 on top of that, and sat on the 2x4. I plan to run low back fiberglass race buckets in it, so having my butt about 1 3/4" off the floor is pretty close. The seating position actually looks really good, the edge of the body just behind the door is about even with my armpit, and if I put the steering column about 15 degrees off vertical, the steering wheel will be at a comfortable position, and the steering box will under the floor about 18" from the firewall, which leaves me some room (not much!) for the pedals, and lets me put the brake pedal and master cylinder between the steering box and firewall. In keeping with the sixties "drag bucket" theme, I wanted to use one of the small rectangular moon gas pedals mounted to the floor, but there might not be room, I might have to make a spoon suspended from the firewall.
Man, this thing is gonna be HAIRY! The rear end is right under your ass, the seating position is "sixties altered" and the motor is right in your face. This is gonna be SERIOUS FUN!
Another thing happened today, and this is BIG. I still need a grill shell (the one I was using in my mock-up is actually a '26/'27 shell for my T Tudor)and cowl top, about three months ago, a friend of mine took me to see this guy in east Langley that has a yard FULL of T and A stuff. He wasn't there, so I just looked through the gate, there was a TON of stuff, but this guy is not real friendly to strangers, so I wanted to get someone to set up an introduction, if I just went back there on my own, odds are he would have got pissed off.
So for about three months, I have had two guys that know him trying to get me in the gate, I called one of them today, they talked to him last night, and I am IN, we just gotta set up a time. He has several cowl tops for sure, I am also hoping to get a grill shell, garnish moldings for my Tudor, and maybe a Model A PU tailgate, so I can build my box! Things are happening!

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
Cool; keep us posted !

DavyJ

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 01:59:20 PM »
Sounds like you are planning carefully....should be a fun ride!
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!