Decent hoop style upper steering arm?

jaded iconoclast

Decent hoop style upper steering arm?
« on: June 03, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a DECENT hoop style steering arm? Speedway sells this mangy looking POS, but theres no way I am hanging THIS out in the open on the front of my car!
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hoop-Style-Steering-Arm-Ford-Spindle,1167.html
Several websites list a hoop style arm, but they all show the Speedway pic, so you can guess where it comes from. I am looking for something nicer, preferably with nice chrome and that doesn't look like someones grade 8 metalshop project. ::) If I have to fab one, well, so be it, but this is hardly what I would call an exotic part, I figured in this day of "traditional" hot rods, I could get a nice one off the shelf. P&J has a Superbell slingshot, but that's a little clunky and heavy set for a minimalist T-Bucket.

Thirty2ragtop

Re: Decent hoop style upper steering arm?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 12:33:45 PM »
How about guys photographing some well designed ones.  I have the same problem too!  I don't want to plug-n-play. 

DavyJ

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:19:18 PM »
Spirit industries has a fairly good looking cast one,  not plated though......about $45   

And Honest Charley has one for $69
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »
Thanks Davey, but I don't want to use a cast "slingshot", its too "heavy set" for the front of a T-Bucket. Heres a shot of a nice hoop style from the Tardel book. This is more what I am looking for. I guess you could buy the Speedway one, drop it, fill and finish the end before you send it for plating, but by the time you have done that, you may as well just make it yourself.

3 deuces

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 01:42:13 PM »
if you use the style of the last two in photos make sure to use lock tight,as they often work loose.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »
if you use the style of the last two in photos make sure to use lock tight,as they often work loose.
That could be exciting!

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »
Cotter pin and Loctite - kinda like wearing a belt and suspenders !  You must be an engineer LOL.

Jaded, maybe Speedway will sell one un-chromed (?) that you could work to your liking, then chrome.  Yes the pic of the part in their catalog has a pretty crappy-looking weld.  It might be solid, but then again...

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 03:26:40 PM »
Cotter pin and Loctite - kinda like wearing a belt and suspenders !  You must be an engineer LOL.

Jaded, maybe Speedway will sell one un-chromed (?) that you could work to your liking, then chrome.  Yes the pic of the part in their catalog has a pretty crappy-looking weld.  It might be solid, but then again...
I'm not one of those big "anti-Speedway" snobs but that one in the photo is pretty crappy looking!! :o :D

Striper

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 10:51:50 PM »
Thanks Davey, but I don't want to use a cast "slingshot", its too "heavy set" for the front of a T-Bucket. Heres a shot of a nice hoop style from the Tardel book. This is more what I am looking for. I guess you could buy the Speedway one, drop it, fill and finish the end before you send it for plating, but by the time you have done that, you may as well just make it yourself.
    Try calling Vern Tardel and ask him , he might sell them.
Anything worth doing is worth doing right . -- Frank Kurtis

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 09:26:59 AM »
Thanks Striper, thats an idea!

duaneshotrods

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »
Here, So-cal has one that might work for ya... http://www.est1946.com/ss_steering_arms.aspx
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 10:33:41 PM »
Here, So-cal has one that might work for ya... http://www.est1946.com/ss_steering_arms.aspx
I looked at both of those, nope. I will have lots of lightening holes in the suspension on this car, but adding an extraneous piece of metal just so you can add lightening holes just doesn't make sense to me. Form follows function ;)
I have already decided, the only sensible way is to make one. The Speedway one is the only one that's even remotely right, and by the time I have re-worked it to point where I would be happy with it, I will have 20 hours of finishing, detailing and polishing into a piece I could make from scratch in 21 hours. That math just don't add up, I'd rather just start from scratch.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 09:31:20 PM »
Saw this not to long ago.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 09:35:51 PM »
now THATS what I'm talkin' about! That's nice!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 09:53:28 PM »
It's on the front of this.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 10:01:02 PM »
Is that that Mickey Himsl modified that was restored recently? That steering arm is probably older than I am! I'd like to build mine spring over, but to do that, I will have to re-work the spring perch to get it to sit low enough. I'll have to really measure and see where the WB is going to end up, it I can do it spring behind and still keep it under 96" wb, I will probably go that way, not sure. I want to end up between 92-96" wb.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 10:18:12 PM »
Is that that Mickey Himsl modified that was restored recently? That steering arm is probably older than I am! I'd like to build mine spring over, but to do that, I will have to re-work the spring perch to get it to sit low enough. I'll have to really measure and see where the WB is going to end up, it I can do it spring behind and still keep it under 96" wb, I will probably go that way, not sure. I want to end up between 92-96" wb.
Ya it's Mickeys.
Another arm.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 10:24:31 PM »
Ya it's Mickeys.
Another arm.
[/quote]
That's pretty too, I like the off-white in the web of the axle. Looks like the bones are drilled too. I am going to drill the axle and bones on mine. I need to pick up a NICE pair of bones in the next week here, then send my axle over to the island and get it dropped, and I want to drop the steering arm like on the Himsl car, that looks really nice. Once I get that done, I should be off and running.

Fordors

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 11:00:44 PM »

I'd like to see an overhead shot of that arm, it looks like it was fabricated so the center line of the tie rod end is in front of the axle c/l. Just like a '32-'34 spindle, with the c/l not perpendicular to the backing plate it forms a 90* angle with the drag link and the turning radius will be the same on both sides.
To me that was always the one thing really wrong with the old style hoop arm, the forged "sling shot" arms are perpendicular too, but easy enough to heat and correct.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 01:22:00 AM »

I'd like to see an overhead shot of that arm, it looks like it was fabricated so the center line of the tie rod end is in front of the axle c/l. Just like a '32-'34 spindle, with the c/l not perpendicular to the backing plate it forms a 90* angle with the drag link and the turning radius will be the same on both sides.
To me that was always the one thing really wrong with the old style hoop arm, the forged "sling shot" arms are perpendicular too, but easy enough to heat and correct.
Larry,
 I didn't take a overhead shot.I guess I'll have to take afew close ups of stuff just in case someone asks.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
Hey, I know!! How about one of these bad boys?? very tasteful... ;D

Fordors

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »

OK, just because Tom said you couldn't be banned don't think we can't vote to get that overturned.😳
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »
No.Hang it on the fence & use that for a flower pot to sit on.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 11:02:48 PM »
Its funny, the same guy makes a really nice pair of friction shocks, I was actually looking for those when I found that steering arm! I guess if you are running a business, if it sells well, so be it!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 09:47:22 PM »
If u use that,Here's a matching steering wheel fo ya

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 10:02:19 PM »
If u use that,Here's a matching steering wheel fo ya
NIIIIICE! ;D

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 03:40:11 PM »
Steering arms.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 03:45:33 PM »
Nice looking axle in the second pic. I need to get mine on a bus by the end of the week to get it dropped. Not sure if it will happen, but I would like to have my bucket sitting on wheels by the time winter hits, but I am out of the country for August, so that's a lot less time than it might seem like. I also want to put a dropped perch on the front, and I am completely re-doing the rear spring mounts, so its a fairly tall order.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 06:24:13 PM »
Its funny, the same guy makes a really nice pair of friction shocks, I was actually looking for those when I found that steering arm! I guess if you are running a business, if it sells well, so be it!

I followed up on these friction shocks, just a rubber disc in them, I will pass. I think I might try to make some.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 08:36:17 PM »
This is good looking.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2017, 08:58:58 PM »
Yup, that's very slick, I especially like those finger springs and the safety wire.
I was thinking about making a shallow cup that goes on the end of the crossmember with a stud in the middle, with a disc of old clutch material under a 6061 arm with belled holes, a couple more discs of old clutch material with flat aluminum discs in between stacked on top of that, topped off with half a chevy valve spring and a chromed chevy valve spring retainer on top with maybe some holes drilled in it, and a lock washer with an acorn nut on top.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 09:06:33 PM »
Chip made these, they look good. I want something that channels a sixties drag car vibe. I also want to run split Model A bones with lightening holes, something like this will carry through on that theme.