SHIRLEY MULDOWNEY

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
SHIRLEY MULDOWNEY
« on: April 18, 2017, 03:35:41 PM »
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

DavyJ

Re: SHIRLEY MULDOWNEY
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »
Shirley Muldowney received her NHRA Top Fuel license at Dragway Park on Easter Weekend in Cayuga, Ontario in 1973. The three drivers who signed for her Top Fuel license were Tommy Ivo, Connie Kalitta, and Don Garlits. Bruce Mehlenbacher signed it on behalf of the Track Official at Dragway Park.
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

DavyJ

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 08:48:31 PM »
This one goes under the Heading of "does this really matter?".. Pic 1 of Shirley Muldowney in 1973 making History getting her T/F License @ Cayuga, signed by Garlits and Ivo .. Pic 2, 15 yr old Dave Popowich's very detailed accounting of the Pro car runs that day, (Rob Potter called him the original "Stats Man"!).. Notice the number of License runs he recorded for Shirley, in T/F plus 3 runs in her F/C.. I have always maintained she only made 2 runs that day in the dragster,and m/b this supports that recollection. This is NOT meant to diminish/challenge her great achievement, it is just one of those things I seem to recall different than the masses and it has bugged me over the years. I'd love to ask her, but I do not have the nerve. M/b there was a previous run made elsewhere or the fact she was also in a F/C at similar 6 second,performance level? Guess I'll never know the answer

notes from Norm Noddle

DavyJ

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »
Shirley at Cayuga, with some legends of racing...

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »
Thanks Davy for the pic's & info.

BobT

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »
Shirley was using the late Roberto [Poncho] Rendons top fuel car 'Frito Bandito' to make her debut in a fuel dragster. Poncho had been her crew chief in the funny car and later used Shirley in match racing. He knew what would make money.

BobT

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 11:30:29 PM »
Shirley's son John passed away last week at 59. John was a great welder fabricator as well as a race car mechanic. Condolences to Shirley, her family and Johns friends.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 01:02:55 AM »
Rip John Muldowney

DavyJ

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »
Sad,  I heard he was being considered for a ride in Top Fuel next year................