DavyJ

Re: STREET FREAKS, STREET MACHINES & PRO STREET CARS
« Reply #657 on: October 08, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »
Here is an old street freak that is still pounding the roads in Ontario
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #658 on: October 08, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »
That 55 Bel Air Hardtop looks like it could have run the El Camino on San Francisco Peninsula back in '65.  Great time piece!

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #659 on: October 08, 2017, 11:35:15 PM »
That 55 Bel Air Hardtop looks like it could have run the El Camino on San Francisco Peninsula back in '65.  Great time piece!
Miss it Bob.I was on it the other day.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

Thirty2ragtop

« Reply #660 on: October 08, 2017, 11:52:28 PM »
Every Friday and Saturday night.  Burlingame to Menlo Park and make a loop.. A & W in Redwood City!  Hell,  I just didn't know how good I had it!!!!  My girl sitting next to me in the 60 Impala bubble top....  We've been together ever since.

29bowtie

« Reply #661 on: October 16, 2017, 08:47:59 PM »
 ;D
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

TS3X65MPH

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #663 on: October 16, 2017, 10:18:59 PM »
;D
Nice Gasser. ;D
Yup, that's a gasser alright...Now if I could just get my neighbors golden lab to quit crapping on my lawn.
Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #664 on: October 19, 2017, 07:11:51 PM »
Ive had this saved in my files for years. Makes me smile every time I look at it.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #665 on: October 19, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »

duaneshotrods

« Reply #666 on: October 20, 2017, 08:48:53 AM »
Cheezewiz
?saved-by=duaneshotrods
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

TS3X65MPH

29bowtie

« Reply #668 on: October 21, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
Aggressive looking pickup. 8)
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #669 on: October 21, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »
Sorry about the crap photo. One of the guys from Heads Unlimited here in Surrey owns this. Quick cars don't need lettering. ;) This car ate my trucks lunch. ;)

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #670 on: October 21, 2017, 01:13:14 PM »
Semiahoo show a couple years ago. I have no idea whether this car is quick or just a showboat, this was the only time I ever saw it. Looks a little flash to me, doesn't make my well-honed "spidey sense" tingle, my guess is showboat, but still a neat car

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #671 on: October 21, 2017, 01:47:26 PM »
this one elicits more caution, BB with Brodix heads and a dominator, same show.

The lower mainland has a long history of a very hard-core street racing scene. In 1977, the Provincial government here used eminent domain to take the land the old track was on to let a US based private co build a plastics plant, under the terms that they would provide another piece of land a short distance away, and heres the kicker, pay for required dredging to make that land suitable to build a race track on. As soon as they had the track torn up, they reneged on doing the dredging, which resulted in a ten yr court case between the Government on one side, and the BCCCA and Ron Farmer on the other. The case was eventually decided in favour of the track, but in the meantime, a LOT of racers and young guys like myself were REALLY IRATE, and a very organized, and militant street racing scene arose. We felt it was as much a political statement to run on the street as a way of life.
What REALLY pissed people off was that the plastics factory that was supposed to provide all these jobs was out of business three years later. I took a great deal of pleasure working on the crew that dismantled it, and I got paid in US $$, which I promptly plowed into the car I was street racing. Some very sweet irony there.
A club called The Greater Vancouver Street Machines formed, originally it was basically a front for highly organized street racing, based on the "Big Willy" model. I joined early on, we used to run primarily in industrial parks on Mitchell Island, Viking Way, and out at Delta Port, which was a huge port facility out in Richmond.

We also ran in Langley, on 200th by the Rose & Thistle pub, on Latimore down by the gravel pit, and on Harvey Road. We used walkie talkies(pre cell phones) and spotters in vans, this was especially effective in the industrial parks, as there were only a couple roads in. The cops knew what we were doing, and some were even sympathetic, as a rule, they would show up and move us on to another location if there were complaints. It got to the point where at Viking, Delta Port, and Mitchell in particular, guys were trailering up from Washington state. This went on through the eighties and nineties, started to taper off after 2000, I was heavily involved till I was in my mid forties, although the scene had slowed down considerably by that time. The court case was settled in the early nineties and the new Mission Raceway started up shortly after that, but by that time. myself and several of my friends were well and truly addicted. I always say REAL street racing is the heroin of the car scene, its REALLY addicting. There is no higher rush, IMO, than a couple ragged high compression roller cammed big blocks firing up in a dark industrial park, smelling the race gas and hearing the pebbles tinking in the wheelwells as you roll up to clean the tires. Nothing shouts "Its on" to your adrenalin glands like that.
When the track opened, several of us formed the Canadian Pro Street Assn, which was a local version of the US based "fastest street car " thing, and was to give us a legal outlet to run at Mission, but a lot of us still ran on the street as well, especially out in Langley. Barry McCall was the head tech guy at Mission at that time, he especially knew who a couple of us were, and where we were on Saturday nights, and would make life hard for us at every opportunity. It was probably pretty obvious, when you have black primered low ten second cars with plates, mufflers and "No time" shoe-polished on the windshield, you don't have to be a genius to figure it out. It was a grand time, and there are still LOTS of cars around here that show that heritage, and have the numbers to back it up. This is why I have always scoffed long and loud at the current bullshit fake "gasser" scene with their bogus lettered up street cars with "thumpr" cams ::) and 3.23 gears.