CARROLL SHELBY & HIS CARS

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
CARROLL SHELBY & HIS CARS
« on: December 04, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »
There will never be another like him.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

Re: CARROLL SHELBY & HIS CARS
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:37:34 PM »
Shelby Timeline
70 Years of a Timeless Classic, Carroll Shelby. http://www.carrollshelby.com/#/1923-1951

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »
Living life in high gear, he would become a flight instructor during World War II. He would drive his first race behind the wheel of a hot rod fitted with a flathead Ford V8. Would break land speed records at the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1954. Would finish a respectable second place driving an Aston-Martin DBR3 against C-type Jags at Aintree. Would ride with the Aston-Martin team at LeMans in 1954. Would win at Torrey Pines with a 4.1 liter Mexico Ferrari. Would become Sports Illustrated’s 1956 ‘Sports Car Driver of the Year”. And the magazine’s “Driver of the Year” In 1957. Would win a 100 mile race at Riverside in a V8 Maseratti. Would co-drive an Aston-Martin DBR 1/300 and win the coveted 24 hours of LeMans.

29bowtie

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:40:58 PM »
 :D ;) ;) 8)
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

29bowtie

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 02:42:27 PM »
 :)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 02:47:06 PM »
1962 Shelby 260 Cobra CSX CSX2005

The 1962 Shelby 260 Cobra with chassis number CSX 2005 wears the fifth production chassis number allotted. It is an early production 260 Cobra that was originally delivered by AC Cars Limited to Shelby American finished in red with black leather. The first owner was Richard J. Neil Jr. of Honolulu, Hawaii. It is believed that the car had a mechanical issue with the Cobra on a cross-country trip to California, and subsequently traded the 260 to Shelby American for another Cobra. After CSX 2005 had returned to Shelby American, it was used for promotional purposes. During this time, the car was featured in the motion picture The Killers, starring Lee Marvin, John Cassavetes, Angie Dickinson, and Ronald Reagan. In the film, CSX 2005 wore a black livery with the race number '98.' An invoice remains from Shelby American to Universal City, Revue Studios for 'Repair of Cobra CSX #2005 damaged by you' from February 11, 1964.

On June 16, 1964, the 260 Cobra was invoiced to the Carroll Shelby School of High Performance Driving. At the time, it was presented in light metallic blue with a black interior, a roll bar - void of bumper guards - and wearing 'T' for 'trainer' on the roundels. During the car's time with the school, it saw use at Riverside Raceway by individuals including James Garner and Miss Universe, while Pete Brock and John Timanus served as instructors.

In the August 1964 issue of Sports Car, the car and the school were both featured. They were also featured in the August 1964 issue of Ford Times, and the September 1964 issue of Car and Driver.

After the car left the Carroll Shelby School, the Cobra seemingly disappeared from the limelight. Don Bell of Seattle purchased the car in the 1970s. Mr. Bell used the car with some regularity and, in August 1976, he attended SAAC-1 in Oakland, its only noted public display. The car was later put away, for what would become years of static storage.

The current owner acquired the Shelby 289 in 2010. A complete restoration soon followed, bringing it back to the condition it was in when it was used as the driving school trainer.

The car has is complete and has its original engine, transmission, and rear end. The correct Ford XHP-260-5 engine has the proper two-barrel Autolite carburetor and rare air cleaner. There are Smiths gauges and a Lucas generator, which include the seldom-seen tachometer drive of the back of the generator. The steering wheel is that of an AC, the radiator is a Harrison type, and the foot box was finished in black. The car does not have a chassis plate, correct for the first 200 cars. The inside lace wheels, used while at the school, were fitted with correct, period Goodyear tires. The body has minimal fender fares and are void of side vents.

Upon completion of the restoration, the car was displayed at the NHRA Motorsports Museum, the SAAC-38, and several other seminars and events related to Shelby Cobras.

By Daniel Vaughan Nov 2014

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »
Shelby Ad.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 02:54:28 PM »
289-302 Shelby Cross Ram.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 02:55:37 PM »
Shelby.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »
What people did back than when they saw one.I guess you could say they still do it today.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 08:23:57 PM »
Indy 1965.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 08:24:45 PM »
GT 40.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 08:35:45 PM »
Cobra Body Panels.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 08:37:38 PM »
Cobra's & Mustang's.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »
Dean Moon's shop.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »
Ken Miles testing out the 65 Daytona frame.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 09:51:34 PM »
Carol Connors wrote the song “Hey Little Cobra” at Carroll Shelby’s urging.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 10:01:48 PM »

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 10:03:27 PM »
Culver Motors

29bowtie

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 07:41:44 PM »
 :) ;)

29bowtie

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
Here's another couple of fine examples. 8)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 09:18:18 PM »
Here's another couple of fine examples. 8)
Wow Bowtie,
 Those are killer pic's.Thanks.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 01:44:58 AM »

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 01:54:42 AM »
This is 10 min. from my house.

29bowtie

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 02:14:17 AM »
Close inspection from the "Gendarmes"! ::)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 01:00:16 PM »
67 Shelby GT 350.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »
 1966. This early Shelby Cobra 427 was driven through the streets of Los Angeles and track tested at Riverside Raceway in preparation for a story in Motor Trend's September 1966 issue.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 01:10:07 PM »
Daytona Coupes CSX2287 (#2) and CSX2286 (#1) at LAX, leaving the Shelby American facility.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 11:37:32 PM »
1968-1969 SHELBY AMERICAN HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS CATALOG.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 11:53:34 PM »
Cobra Number one, CSX 2000, was different from all of the ensuing cars. The fuel filler was on the left side of the rear deck whereas the rest were in the center. This picture reveals the inboard rear brakes exclusive to this car. It made the cover of Road & Track, September 1962.

29bowtie

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 03:28:59 PM »
 8) ::) ;)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2017, 04:46:07 PM »
8) ::) ;)
A little history on CSX2431.
“The Ken Miles Car”

Talented mechanic and standout driver Ken Miles was born in Britain. He raced motorcycles and cars in his home country, but is best known for his career with American racing teams – in 1953, he won 14 straight SCCA victories shortly after he moved to the U.S. Commonly known as the “Ken Miles Car,” the CSX 2431 was raced almost exclusively by Miles. Going into the 1965 season with Team Shelby, he carried out constant testing and modifications on “his” car, including special springs with fewer leaves and less arch (so the car sat about an inch lower than regular racing Cobras), and Heim-jointed front and rear anti-sway bars. This talented engineer and driver was deeply involved in not only the racing, but also in the important testing and development that went on behind the scenes, and which cost him his life in 1966.

During 1964 and 1965, CSX2431 served as Ken Miles’s personal race Cobra. One of six similar cars designed specifically to win SCCA’s U.S. Road Racing Championship professional series, it had wider Halibrand wheels, bigger fender flares, a short, rounded windshield, and cutback doors to match the rear flares. Adjustable front and rear anti-sway bars were also fitted. Improvements to the usual Girling aluminum brakes included vented rotors and Aeroquip stainless steel lines. A fuel tank switch (off-reserve-main) was mounted in the floor just in front of the driver’s seat. The big Smiths “tell-tale” tachometer rotated so it was easy to read at high rpm. The car’s original paint was a unique silver-blue, and the usual upright windshield was removed in favor of an Indy roadster-style shield, significantly reducing drag. To avoid fuel spills onto the driver, the filler cap was moved to the right side of the rear cowl. A pair of huge outside exhaust pipes helped keep the floor reasonably cool. To prevent differential overheating, an electric pump moved lubricant through a rear-mounted cooler. The final Weber carburetor manifold design also evolved on this car. All manner of modifications were tested on CSX2431 during 1964 and 1965, even while the car was being raced. In that sense, this car could be considered the ultimate example of a period competition Cobra, and the modifications influenced all Cobras that followed.

Until CSX2431 was ready, he used other cars to win four early 1964  USRRC events. By September, Miles had proved the new car’s worth. He’d driven CSX2431 in five USRRC events.

In the Manufacturers Championship race at Watkins Glen, he and the roadster led a five-Cobra sweep of the field, though the transmission case cracked near the end of the Drivers Championship race, relegating him to fifth. At the new Greenwood, Iowa, track, Miles had major brake problems and was hit by two other cars, yet finished fourth overall and first among the GT cars. At Meadowdale, Ill., averaging 91 mph, CSX2431 and Miles took another first, only 0.2-seconds ahead of Bob Johnson.

Miles often ran this “production” Cobra against purebred sports-racers. Mid-Ohio brought an excellent fourth in the Drivers Championship event behind two Chaparrals and a Cooper-Chevrolet; in the Manufacturers race, Miles and Bob Johnson swapped the lead, Johnson winning by a second. At Road America, CSX2431 was shared by Miles and Ronnie Bucknum; slowed by a problem, Bucknum finished the 500 miles 4th in GT and 28th overall among a field of pure race cars. Miles, who switched to the John Morton/Skip Scott Cobra late in the race, blew off Roger Penske’s Corvette Grand Sport to finish 2nd overall, beaten only by Augie Pabst and Walt Hansgen in a Ferrari 250LM.

Earning three class wins plus a second and a fourth, CSX2431 thus helped Miles to wrap up the 1964 USRRC championship. That goal accomplished, the pair went east for the Bridgehampton Double 500, Shelby American’s last chance to win the 1964 FIA Manufacturers Championship. As the fastest of the six team cars, CSX2431 led a Cobra sweep of the first six GT class positions, finishing fourth overall. Unfortunately, since the GT class had been canceled at Monza due to Ferrari’s political games, the team just missed the title. For its last 1964 race, CSX2431 returned to the West Coast to run in the Los Angeles Times Grand Prix at Riverside where the car suffered its only DNF, due to a wheel departing the car in Turn 6.

During 1965, CSX2431 evidently raced only three times, all in USRRC events. At Pensacola, despite a loose ignition wire and an overheating differential, Bob Johnson drove it to a second in class behind Tom Payne. Because the 427 “Cobra II” was not yet homologated, Miles returned to the cockpit of CSX2431 in May for the Riverside USRRC event; despite spinning twice in the early laps, he won at a record average speed of 93.6 mph. A week later, Miles led the entire 100-mile Laguna Seca event, as he and second place Ed Leslie put a lap on the rest of the field. A fitting end to the car’s career, this was Miles’s last race in a 289 Cobra.

In December of 1965, a month after Shelby American had shown it at the San Francisco Auto Show, the car was repainted in a dull black, set off by white stripes, for MGM’s use in the Elvis Presley movie Spinout. The car served in only a minor background role; a white 427 was the star’s race car. In March 1966, CSX2431 was bought for $4,000 by racer Eric Hauser, who had made his name driving Max Balchowsky’s famous Ol’ Yaller No. 1. He had the car shipped by Shelby American to England, where it was painted in an egregious combination of candy purple metallic with yellow trim, then raced during that season. In early 1967, William Chapman, an American serviceman who also worked for Goodyear, bought the car from Hauser then sold it to a Greek in Athens. While there, it passed to young John Liveris, a student at Tufts University near Boston, and by 1974 it was back in the U.S., street licensed in Massachusetts. After a series of other owners and incomplete attempts at restoration, CSX2431 was acquired in 1992 by Colorado resident Tom Benjamin and sympathetically returned to its 1964-1965 form by Bill Murray. In memory of Ken Miles, they added British Racing Drivers Club logos on the doors, just as Miles himself had proudly done back in 1964.

The car ended its career carrying Carroll Shelby’s favorite number, “98,” and with a distinctive Guardsman Blue paint job. In 1997, current owners Tom and Karen Benjamin were invited to bring the iconic Ken Miles #98 to participate in the prestigious Goodwood Vintage Races in England. Tom also drove the car that same year to an impressive 3rd Place finish at the Monterey Historic Races, where this most significant Cobra was also honored by an invitation to be displayed in the rarified air of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.

Text excerpted from “Shelby Cars in Detail, Cars of the Shelby American Collection” by Frank Barrett

29bowtie

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
 8) ::) :)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »
1963 Cobra Le Mans CSX2137
“First FIA Win Cobra”

This 1963 Factory Team Cobra Le Mans Roadster was the first Cobra to “draw blood” in the famous Cobra-Ferrari Wars of the 1960s. Three Factory Team cars were built specifically for the 24 Hours of Le Mans race in France. Designated “Cobra Le Mans,” these three cars had more than 40 modifications that set them apart from standard racing Cobras. CSX2137 is the most significant of these cars, which were campaigned from September 1963 through February 1966. Dan Gurney drove it to win at Bridgehampton, N.Y., in September of 1963. It was the first FIA World Sportscar championship win for the fledgling Shelby American Team, and the first FIA win for an American driver in an American car.

Gurney’s victory marked the beginning of the famous Cobra-Ferrari Wars that culminated when Shelby American defeated Ferrari to win the championship in 1965, the first and only time for an American team. CSX2137 went on to win three first-place victories as a Shelby American Factory Team car, and two additional wins as an independent race Cobra. In addition to Gurney, drivers of CSX2137 included Bob Holbert, Bob Bondurant and Lew Spencer.

Since Le Mans has unique rules, strictly enforced by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, more than 40 changes – many of them designed to enhance performance during long distance events, of course – were made to these cars. Most obvious are the larger front and rear fender flares, an integral (not riveted) hood scoop with no screen inside, and the bigger vents in the front fenders to get hot air out of the engine compartment. A 37-gallon fuel tank was also fitted, with a wider-necked filler. Because the FIA rules required the wheels and tires to lie within the bodywork (seen from above), large curved aluminum spats were riveted into place behind the front fender openings. Under the hood stood four Weber DC48IDM carburetors, with a larger aluminum radiator, modified steering arms and the rack-and-pinion steering gear to reduce driver fatigue during long races.

In the cockpit, a proper fiberglass race seat held the driver in place. Smiths instruments were fitted, and switches across the bottom of the dash controlled the ignition, two electric fuel pumps, and the lights, plus the differential cooler, windshield wipers and panel lights. The original black Dymo labels are still on the panel. As in other cars intended to run at Le Mans, the starter switch is mounted left of the steering wheel, and, of course, there is no ignition key.

Unique to this series of six cars is the shorter, bottom-hinged trunk lid, designed to allow the fitting of an aerodynamic hardtop, which extended back over the original trunk opening. The rear of the hardtop was secured at the two holes in front of the trunk latch, which also served to attach bungee cords when the hardtop was not used. The top had side vents behind the sliding Plexiglas side windows. The resulting drag reduction let these Cobras achieve higher speeds on the 3.7-mile-long Mulsanne Straight. The aluminum hardtop was bolted to the windshield frame and to the convertible top attachment sockets at the rear of each door. Because the hardtop covered the original gas filler, the cap had to be re-installed high in the roof, with a tube leading downward to the original filler neck. For the convenience of fuelers at Le Mans and other long-distance events, and to keep fuel away from the driver, the filler was also moved rightward. After Skip Hudson was injured at Daytona in 1963 when a flywheel exploded, Shelby went back to a stronger, cast-iron bellhousing and transmission case and added a driveshaft safety loop.

Ironically, despite its name, CSX2137 never raced at Le Mans. Instead, it ran five FIA and USRRC races in fall 1963 as a Shelby team car. Its initiation came at the Elkhart Lake USRRC race in September, when it was driven by Bob Johnson and Lew Spencer to sixth overall and second in the GT class. Gurney’s win a week later in the Bridgehampton Double 500, the final FIA event of the season, was the highlight of the car’s year.

Shelby had sent three cars east for Gurney, Bob Holbert and Ken Miles to drive in that weekend’s pair of 500-km races. Saturday saw Gurney, Holbert and Miles forming the front row of the grid. Holbert was in the lead on lap19 when a half-shaft failed, putting him out. Gurney then took over, and he and second-place Miles lapped the entire field – including Mark Donohue in a TVR – except for the Jaguar of Walt Hansgen, who would later join the Holman-Moody GT40 squad. For the cool-down lap, pit crew members Jim Culleton and Red Rose joined Holbert, Shelby, Bob Johnson and Louis Unser in hanging out two pit boards chalked with “BEER” and “TIME.” In their joy, they accidentally switched them, so the sign read “TIME BEER,” though the message was unmistakable.

Illustrating the team’s progress during the year, Gurney said that he found this Cobra much faster than the one he’d driven at Sebring (CSX2128) back in March. For the Sunday race at Bridgehampton, Gurney switched to a NART Ferrari, so Holbert drove CSX2137. Unfortunately, he tangled with a Porsche RS60, and both cars retired. That fall, CSX2137 also won under Holbert in a USRRC event at Mid-Ohio and with Bob Bondurant in a one-hour GT race at Riverside.

Shelby never let any grass grow under fast cars that could attract customer money, so in February 1964, CSX2137 was sold for $8,250 to independent racer Ralph Noseda, who had just co-driven it with Jeff Stevens at Daytona, settling for a DNF after 202 laps, due to a fuel leak. The Miami-based caterer painted the car red and campaigned it with factory assistance under his “Hot Shoppes” banner throughout 1964 and 1965, mainly in USRRC events but also at Daytona, Sebring and Nassau. Noseda kept the car busy, but since he often faced the Shelby American factory team, he was usually relegated to the “best of the rest” category. His best finishes were wins in SCCA National events at Daytona and West Palm Beach in late 1965.

Meanwhile, the last race for CSX2137 had come in 1968, at Riverside, under new owners Tom and Ray Caruthers, who later advertised the car for sale for $3,750. Later, when Bill Murray restored the car, he brought it back to its original specification. Indeed, the car’s now-chipped windshield still carries faded but original decals from Daytona and Sebring.

Text excerpted from “Shelby Cars in Detail, Cars of the Shelby American Collection” by Frank Barrett with photography by Boyd Jaynes.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 11:44:40 PM »
Daytona's.

29bowtie

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »
 ;) 8) 8)

29bowtie

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 10:45:35 PM »
 :) ;) 8) 8) 8)

TS3X65MPH

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 01:31:12 PM »

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 08:18:10 PM »
Seca

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
Shelby American Inc cancelled check made payable to Moon Equipment Co. dated January 9, 1963 with Carroll Shelby's signature.

29bowtie

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2017, 01:29:35 PM »
 :) :) ::) ::)

29bowtie

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2017, 05:46:20 PM »
Dragon Snake!

29bowtie

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2017, 05:48:56 PM »
 :) :D

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 07:52:17 PM »
Cobra Experience
This is 10 min. from my house.
http://www.cobraexperience.org/

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2017, 07:54:39 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2017, 07:56:25 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2017, 07:58:34 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2017, 08:00:30 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2017, 08:02:52 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2017, 08:06:57 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2017, 08:08:49 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2017, 08:11:29 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2017, 08:13:05 PM »
Cobra Experience
Kinda says it all.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2017, 08:16:17 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2017, 08:17:33 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2017, 08:20:02 PM »
Cobra Experience

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2017, 08:45:37 PM »
Ford Motorsport Handbook. This was given to perspective Ford Dealers who might be interested in becoming a Shelby American distributor for cars and parts.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »
1968 Shelby Mustang KR500.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2017, 08:55:59 PM »
Shelby

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
The Unlikely Story of the Ferrari-Beating Shelby Daytona Coupe
In a forgotten corner of Carroll Shelby's shop, Pete Brock and a bunch of California hot-rodders created a car to defeat Ferrari on its own turf.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a26376/coupe-de-grace-shelby-daytona-coupe-story/

29bowtie

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
 ;) 8) ::)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2017, 12:25:54 PM »

29bowtie

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2017, 12:52:33 AM »
Daytona Coupe from a different angle. ::)

29bowtie

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2017, 11:29:21 PM »
Steve checking out one of Carroll's finest!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2017, 05:14:39 PM »
1965 Shelby 289 Cobra Dragonsnake CSX 2472.
A rare 1965 Shelby 289 Cobra Dragonsnake slithers to auction.
By Kurt Ernst.
Photos courtesy Worldwide Auctioneers.
Last Photo by Dan Mortland.

First developed in 1963, the Dragonsnake was Shelby American’s Cobra offering for those who preferred their racing in quarter-mile intervals. Just four 289-powered examples were reportedly built at the factory, including CSX 2472, a 1965 Cobra originally set aside for use as a “Cobra Team Race Car”; instead, it was ordered by its first owner in street trim, and would later go on to dominate the East Coast autocross scene for decades. On September 5, this uber-rare and extremely well-documented Cobra heads to auction in Auburn, Indiana, as part of this year’s Worldwide Auctioneers sale.

As with other Cobra models, Dragonsnakes could be purchased in the buyer’s choice of configurations. When Russ Freed ordered his 289 Dragonsnake through Continental Cars in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, he was very specific about what he wanted in and on the car. Unlike other Dragonsnake buyers, Freed had no intention of drag racing his Cobra, and as the World Registry of Cobras & GT40s relates, the car was ordered with the stock fuel tank; street wheels and Stock Car Special Red Dot tires; Koni shocks in lieu of the standard drag-specific units; 3.77:1 rear gearing; shoulder harnesses; and a Berry hardtop with deluxe side curtains (which required modification of the also-ordered chrome roll bar).

Freed’s car was to be finished in British Green and fitted with the Stage II Dragonsnake engine, which included dual four-barrel carburetors for an output of 300 horsepower. What arrived at Continental Cars, however, wasn’t exactly what Freed had ordered (and certainly wouldn’t have met his expectations of quality). As delivered, the Cobra came with flaking paint; a dripping heater; lights, bumperettes and chrome trim not yet installed; missing tonneau cover fasteners; and a Stage I (single carburetor) 289 V-8.

Ed Hugus, owner of Continental Cars, solved the problem by ordering the correct parts, repainting the car, installing the loose trim and withholding $688.23 in payment to Shelby American for the car’s unsatisfactory condition. Internally, Shelby American agreed with the decision, admitting that the paint was lifting before the car left the factory but further acknowledging it would be less expensive and less troublesome for the dealer to address the issues.

Freed owned the car until 1967, when he sold the street-driven drag Cobra to J.J. Rodman. Over the next few years, J.J. and his sister upped the odometer from 5,200 miles to just over 15,000 miles, much of it added at autocross or hillclimb events throughout the Northeast. The car’s capabilities, coupled with the siblings’ talents behind the wheel, proved a formidable combination, and under the Rodman’s ownership the car took home an estimated 1,200 trophies (which may well make this the most successful Cobra ever raced).

In 1978, CSX 2472 was sold to its third owner, David Caro, who’d own the Dragonsnake for eight years yet add just 700 miles to the odometer. The car’s next (but former) owner was J.J. Rodman, who repurchased the car from Caro in 1986 and held onto it (this time) for the next 20 years. From time to time it would appear for sale, priced in such a manner that made it clear the Dragonsnake really wasn’t for sale unless money was no object.

In 2006, the Dragonsnake was purchased at auction by its current owner, who funded a full restoration a year or so after the acquisition. As offered in Auburn, the car comes with both a rebuilt 289 (reportedly set up for road racing, topped with what appears to be a single four-barrel carburetor) and its original engine block, along with the original and unrestored Berry hardtop. It also comes with a well-documented five- (or four-, depending upon how one counts) owner history, and wears the same body it left the factory with back in 1965.

Shelby American produced just four 289-powered Dragonsnakes, plus a single 427-powered car. Counting Dragonsnakes built by Cobra owners from parts offered by Shelby, the total is still under 10, which makes this among the rarest of Cobra offerings.

The eighth annual Auburn sale takes place on September 5 at the National Automotive and Truck Museum. For additional information, visit Worldwide-Auctioneers.com.

UPDATE (24.August): Dan Mortland sent us the photo below, of Joe Rodman shooting for fastest time of the day in the Dragonsnake at Butler County Community College, circa 1973. Per Dan, who autocrossed a Sunbeam Tiger at the time, the Pittsburgh area enjoyed a very active autocross scene in the early 1970s, though Joe and his sister Elaine were tough to beat in the Cobra.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »
GT 40.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2017, 05:31:17 PM »
Ads

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2017, 05:32:15 PM »
GT 40

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
Venice,Ca.

29bowtie

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2017, 11:51:38 PM »
Aerial view for a different viewpoint.

29bowtie

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 12:21:36 AM »
 ::) 8) 8) ;)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2017, 07:29:58 PM »
Cobra.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2017, 07:31:18 PM »
4 original NOS wheel caps for a 1965 or very early 1966 Shelby GT350.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
Sebring 1956.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2017, 06:59:27 PM »
1966 Shelby Mustang GT350-S
”Factory Prototype Supercharged Shelby”

The 1964 debut of the Mustang changed the auto world forever, and from its arguably humble beginnings, it was the GT350 project led by Carroll Shelby that brought the new pony car to performance prominence with horsepower-laden racing and street GTs. One of the most historically significant Shelby America-built GT350s is the Shelby Mustang SFM6S051, the only GT350S ever produced. With the rare Ivy Green Metallic paint job, the 6S051 is the 1966 prototype for the Paxton-Supercharged GT350s. It is the first ’65-bodied Shelby Mustang to be painted in a color other than Wimbledon White and it is the only Shelby Mustang designated GT350-S. In 2013, the Shelby American Collection was honored to receive this magnificent historic car along with an extensive collection of memorabilia as a gift from the estate of Joyce and Steve Yates of Nashville, Indiana. It is rumored that the GT350-S was specifically designed for Carroll Shelby’s banker, who drag-raced it through the 1960s.

29bowtie

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2017, 07:21:50 PM »
Motion Performance Cobra.

29bowtie

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
Daytona Coupe

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2017, 08:51:29 PM »
Daytona Coupe
Those pic's in bare metal are cool.
Thanks Bowtie.

29bowtie

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2017, 06:04:32 PM »
 :) :)

29bowtie

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2017, 11:40:44 PM »
The man himself. 8)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »
Tom Benjamin’s 427 Roadster “Coming Full Circle”
Once you drive a 427 Cobra, you’ll never forget it. And once you sell one, you’ll always regret it. That’s the case here, as this one is back in the hands of its original owner. Besides the 31 early 427 S/C models and 19 competition cars, 260 427 Cobras were built as street models, powered by either a 425-hp 427 V8 or a 360-hp 428 Police Interceptor unit. Introduced in 1963 for NASCAR and drag-racing competition, the FE series solid-lifter 427 was used for the first batch of about 100 cars. Then, in early 1966, because Ford found the race-based 427 inconvenient to build in small quantities, and because it cost twice as much as a production-based 428, the latter was specified for the second 100-car batch of 427s. Still, the name remained “427 Cobra,” and CSX3269 is among the last of such to originally have had a 428. In early 1967, based on the recommendation of Fred Goodell, a Ford engineer who had joined Shelby American, the 427 went back in for about the last four dozen cars. The last 427, CSX3360, left the Shelby American plant in October 1967.

A good 427 could go from zero to 60 mph in about 4.3 seconds, and to 100 mph in 8.8. Ken Miles once performed an amazing trick with one, going from zero to 100 and back to zero in under 13 seconds. On the other hand, the car had a reputation for swapping ends quickly, especially under power or in the wet. Shelby American’s own Al Dowd had a frightening experience when the 427 he was driving spun unexpectedly while passing another car on a dry freeway. Another 427 malady was fuel starvation under hard cornering, thanks to the Autolite carburetor; the cure was to switch to a 4-barrel Holley.

None of this deterred a 21-year-old college student named Tom Benjamin. On vacation from New Mexico State in July 1967, he visited his parents in Florida and bought this 427 Cobra at J.D. Ball Ford in Miami. The car was in stock and finished in British Racing Green with a black interior and Goodyear Blue Dot tires on sunburst wheels (designed by Pete Brock when Halibrands were in short supply) and had the then-usual 428 engine. Period options included a hood scoop, a roll bar, magnesium wheels, and a radio, plus front and rear anti-sway bars; Tom’s car had only the wheels and the radio (since removed). Rather than the earlier rectangular taillights, this car has the later round taillights augmented by a red reflector on each side.

In the summer of 1967, Tom drove CSX3269 extensively, including a trip to Montreal and Los Angeles then back to New Mexico. After it got hit in the rear while stopped at a traffic light in El Paso, he had the car repainted in 12 coats of black lacquer by a Porsche specialist there. Then, in 1968, at about 7,500 miles, the engine threw a rod out in the desert. Tom bought a lightweight competition 427 from the Ford dealer in Las Cruces, N.M., and had it installed.

In 1970 the car was trucked to the noted NASCAR and GT40 experts Holman-Moody in Charlotte, N.C., for a general going-over. Because the aluminum 427 heads had corroded internally while being stored with old antifreeze, the engine was replaced with another 427, this one having cast-iron heads. H-M also formed and installed a competition exhaust system, with headers exiting below the body rather than through the rocker panels. The suspension and Ford “top-loader” transmission were overhauled, and repairs were made to the seats, gauges, wiring, battery box, lights, interior panels, gearshift, wheel wells, radiator, cooling system, clutch and more. A padded roll bar was fitted, and for security Tom had a storage box added under the hood, which was secured by locking latches. All of this work cost about $5,200. Having been drafted, Tom left the car at the Holman-Moody shop and sold it in 1973, while it was still there. Then, in 1994, Tom saw an auction ad for the car, and although he missed the event, he was later able to buy it back from the high bidder. By this time, Tom lived in Boulder, Colo., so the car was serviced by Bill Murray and has been part of the Collection since it opened.

Tom has given the car to his wife, Karen, who he was dating in 1966. They have enjoyed various rallies around the West, including The Roadrunner 1000 back in New Mexico. “Coming Full Circle.”

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
Cobra CSX 3021

This car, CSX 3021, is one of only two Cobras ever finished in Hertz Gold. It was finished in March 1965, but Shelby-American was unable to find a buyer right away. in August of 1966, this Cobra was ordered by Dick Walters Ford. This 427 S/C was put on display in his showroom, where it stayed for some time. In 1967, a deal was struck between J.D. Ball Ford, Dick Walters Ford and Bill Turner, whereby Mr. Turner would trade in his 1966 Pontiac GTO Factory Lightweight as a partial exchange for the Cobra. The S/C cost $9,500.

The car is the only 427 S/C in the hands of its original owner and an extraordinary original documented example. Power is from a 427 cubic-inch overhead valve V8 engine fitted with dual 4-barrel Holly carburetors. The engine is capable of producing over 500 horsepower. There is a four-speed top-loader manual gearbox, four-wheel Girling disc brakes, and four-wheel adjustable independent suspension with coil springs and tubular shock absorbers. The car has its original invoice from J.D. Ball Ford, old vehicle registrations, the checkbook used to pay the 48 installments, the original 1967 Florida title and letters from Shelby American addressed to this Cobra's one and only owner, Mr. William Turner.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2017, 12:36:38 PM »
1965 Shelby Daytona Pete Brock

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2017, 10:37:53 PM »
1965 Shelby Mustang GT350 R  Chassis no. SFM-5R538

THE “WINNINGEST” SHELBY

The factory competition variant of the iconic Shelby GT350, the GT350 R, was purpose-built for racing, and Shelby American extracted a hefty premium for the ultra-performance it commands. As a result, there were few produced (only 33 according to most sources), and they remain rare today. Chassis 5R538 was built in 1965, although first owner Roger West didn’t take possession until 1966, as noted in the SAAC Registry. West had some real success with it, including winning the SCCA Southeast Division Championship. But as he also started racing a Ford GT40 (number 1070) in 1967, he soon decided to let the Shelby go. Charlie Kemp had seen West race the Shelby and had been impressed. He was ready to move up to something with a little more power, so, in late December 1967, he put down $4,600 cash at Foreign Car Center in Birmingham, Alabama, and took West’s car home, along with a huge quantity of spares. But he got something along with the car that was worth more than everything else put together: Pete Hood, the GT350 R’s mechanic.

Anywhere old racers gather you can hear a story about Pete Hood. As Charlie Kemp says, “Pete is a rather independent cuss if there ever was one,” and as tall as the tales get, they’re probably true. After Charlie’s first race in 5R538 at Montgomery, Alabama, where he both broke the lap record and blew up the engine, “Pete adopted me and the car,” said Charlie, and came on as crew chief. They embarked on a program to make an already competitive car great, by tweaking the suspension, removing weight, and extracting every last ounce of horsepower out of the engine. By March, they had won the SCCA Regional at Daytona overall (highlighted by the famous “pass in the grass” of Robert Gray in his Corvette to take the win). This was soon followed by an overall victory in the Nationals and, eventually, the 1968, 1969, and 1970 Division Championships. Kemp and his GT350 R weren’t just the fastest thing in B-Production; they were just about the fastest things on the track. “There really was nothing that was faster in ’68 and ’69,” he said.

Ample evidence of that statement abounds. In 1968, he began his streak of 17 straight checkered flags, and at Riverside, he set a new top speed record for GT350 Rs. And then, when he got to Daytona in 1969, racing history was changed by Charlie forever.

Charlie Kemp had no reason to stay ahead of the A-Production ZL-1 Corvette in that race, and he had no reason to think he could outpace the aluminum-block, 427-cubic inch monster. But he did. Up until that point, Charlie reports he and Pete had kept the car under 7,200–7,400 rpm, which was all he had needed. However, when coming out of turn one of the “Big D” ahead of the Corvette, he kept his foot to the floor and pushed it to 8,400 rpm. He made it a race, pulling away from the Corvette on the straights and then losing ground in the turns. His gearing chart for the race (which is still extant among this car’s paperwork) and Daytona’s radar agree: along the long straight, with no chicane in those days, he hit 184 mph, not only the highest speed ever recorded for a GT350 R but also the highest known speed for any Shelby 289, including Cobras. “Carroll [Shelby] said it was the fastest one he’d ever seen,” said Charlie. “He said he didn’t understand how it went 184 mph...but it did.” An inspection after the race could find no evidence of cheating, and the most Pete Hood ever admitted to was a .030 overbore and 430–450 horsepower. “That record still staggers me—to move that brick through the air that fast. At first, we didn’t believe the timer,” he said. Through 1971, Charlie would start 54 races in the car, finish 42 of those and win 32, which was a remarkable, even astonishing achievement. Talladega even named their first sports car race after him in 1970, the Charlie Kemp Challenge. Ironically, few competitors wanted to enter just to lose to Charlie, and the race ended up as more of a scramble, with cars of all classes in the field. Fortunately for them, his oil filter let go, so he only finished 3rd, along with setting one of his 16 lap records.

The car briefly left Charlie’s hands during his Can-Am years, but he soon bought it back; thus making him is the second, fourth, and, to this day, the current owner. In the 2000s, he and Pete Hood restored it to full “as raced” specification in his signature #23 livery, which included the original Shelby American Torq-Thrust magnesium wheels, a pair of siamesed 22-gallon steel gas tanks for endurance racing, and even its original wood-rimmed steering wheel. As before, the Hood-modified suspension has been freshened, while the engine was completely torn down and rebuilt by Pete, but it still has the rare and original aluminum Cobra intake manifold (with a Pete Hood-modified Holley carburetor attached). As further testament to Charlie’s superb driving skills, the car was never in a major accident, and it retains most of its factory sheet metal, which includes the Ford inner fender K-Code stampings that are correct for Shelby chassis 5R538. The Shelby lightweight aluminum window frames, Plexiglas windows, and scores of other original pieces survived. Even the right-hand co-driver’s seat is the one that it was originally equipped with, and it complements the racing seat Kemp bought in 1968. While the car is not a turnkey racer, both Kemp and Hood are available to assist the new owner in preparing it for historic racing.

There are literally enough stories about Charlie Kemp, 5R538, and Pete Hood to fill a book (if you get the chance, ask them about the sabotage at Daytona). But unlike almost any other cars from the period, both men and this track weapon are still around to tell them. And tell they do. This Shelby has been impressively and painstakingly documented, and its stellar history, priceless photographs, and event artifacts have been collated in a bound aluminum-covered book, illustrating the timeless achievements of man and machine. This compendium includes copies of the MSO and factory order, notes of further competition upgrades by Shelby American team driver Lew Spencer, the factory invoice to Treadwell Ford, and even Charlie Kemp’s original Bill of Sale. In addition, the car will be sold with a valid title in Kemp’s name.

Within this much celebrated and ultra-successful racing car, made by an iconic maker, lies an investment-grade opportunity to pick up where Charlie Kemp left off: to write the next chapter of the book and reintroduce a new generation of drivers to that sinking feeling that comes when the #23 GT350 R appears behind you.

Chassis 5R538 also earned status as the subject of AFAS artist Bill Neale’s painting and lithograph titled Mustang Charlie (signed, appropriately enough, or not, “F*** you, Kemp” by Carroll Shelby).

Est. 450 bhp, 289/293 cu. in. OHV V-8, Holley 4756 “double pumper” 4V carburetor, Shelby aluminum intake manifold, Borg-Warner Sebring T-10 close-ratio four-speed transmission, competition independent front suspension with upper A-arms, lower single arms, coil springs, adjustable shock absorbers, and HD anti-roll bar, rear live axle with four semi-elliptic leaf springs, and ventilated front disc brakes with rear drum brakes. Wheelbase: 108 in.

•Documented as the “winningest” Shelby ever, with 17 straight wins from 1968–1969, driven by Charlie Kemp
•Ran at a clocked 184 mph at Daytona in 1968, the highest speed known for any 289-powered Shelby, including Cobras
•Extensive racing history, including entries in Daytona and Sebring
•Body panels are remarkably original and feature correct K-Code stampings
From R&M Auctions

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2017, 08:07:35 PM »
The man himself. 8)
& the 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake.

29bowtie

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2017, 05:04:56 PM »
Not a cobra, but fun little cars in their own right, the GLH (Goes Like Hell). ::)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2017, 05:11:34 PM »
Not a cobra, but little cars in their own right, the GLH (Goes Like Hell). ::)
That's all the money Dodge could spend with Carroll back then. ;)

29bowtie

« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2017, 10:28:23 PM »
 8) ;)

29bowtie

« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2017, 02:58:21 PM »
The fourth GT40 prototype.

29bowtie

« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2017, 11:59:14 PM »
 8) 8) ;) ;)

DavyJ

« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »
The sad thing for me was that I was too young to be allowed to rent a car back then....
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
1965 Mustang GT 350 #5S003

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »
Shelby Owner's Manual's

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »
Check out some of these prices.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2017, 11:27:41 AM »
Pit's

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
Cobra

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2017, 11:35:17 AM »
Bob Allen in his Shelby Cobra 289 as it ran in the US National Races 1969.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2017, 11:39:53 AM »
Bob Johnson Cobra No. 33

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »
Shelby

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »
couple well known Canadian cobras, George Eaton.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »
Ringer!! >:( ;D Ken Miles in a Comstock Cobra. And they BUTCHERED Eppie Wietzes' name here! See, that's what you get for sending some hot shot ringer up to Canada, some local boy hands him his ass! ;D

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2017, 03:11:56 PM »
Ringer!! >:( ;D Ken Miles in a Comstock Cobra. And they BUTCHERED Eppie Wietzes' name here! See, that's what you get for sending some hot shot ringer up to Canada, some local boy hands him his ass! ;D
It was only 1 race. ;)
This photo is very grainy but nonetheless famous, showing Ken Miles and his GT-350 R code going airborne while about to pass Charles Barns and his Merlyn. Alford said, “Miles would shift into 4th gear, in the air, while leaping over the hump, with no engine whine, grinning from ear to ear. No one else was accelerating over the hump, only Miles. The man was the fastest driver in B production that day, and was obviously utterly confident in his driving abilities. His control of the car was so smooth, effortless. His driving skills really stood out.”

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2017, 03:15:49 PM »
Miles would be 1st to give Shelby a win with the Mustang(Weldon Nash photo)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2017, 03:18:12 PM »
One month prior to the Green Valley, TX race, in January of 1965, Bob Bondurant and Ken Miles track tested the first two 1965 Shelby Mustangs at Willow Springs in California. 5R002 is in background, and 5R001, is in the foreground, with Bondurant looking to his right and his head centered in the car hood, and Miles on his right with the black helmet on. (Bob Bondurant photo)

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2017, 03:31:44 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not dizzing Ken Miles. Eppie Wietzes, On the other hand, is SORELY under-rated. I watched him race many times, he really shone in Formula 5000, which was a VERY competitive series, and if he would have had sufficient financial backing to travel more, he would have a much higher level of name recognition.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2017, 03:37:37 PM »
Note the podium finish percentage...And the win percentage is a virtual dead heat.
https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/eppie-wietzes/
Ken Miles podium percentage is at 36%, and I don't think anyone would argue the point that Miles had some of the best, most heavily financed rides of the era, Unlike Eppie, who at one point, successfully raced a Morris Minor. ;D

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not dizzing Ken Miles. Eppie Wietzes, On the other hand, is SORELY under-rated. I watched him race many times, he really shone in Formula 5000, which was a VERY competitive series, and if he would have had sufficient financial backing to travel more, he would have a much higher level of name recognition.
Formula 5000 was a cool class.They show up at Seca from time to time.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2017, 03:57:34 PM »
Formula 5000 was a cool class.They show up at Seca from time to time.
DAMN STRAIGHT! Nothing like 12-1300 lb open wheel cars with wings and 302 chevies! :)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
Here's Eppie Wietzes in a Shelby R car.

Fordors

« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2017, 05:39:42 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I know the drags, but not much about road racing GT 350's, what's up with the aluminum blister on the hood?
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »
most don't know this, under Canadian rules, 350R's were allowed to run webers in B/P. I watched this one regularly in the '60s, guys that keep track of stuff like that figure this was the winningest GT350R around. I sure saw it win a lot!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »
Bob Mclean in the first Fogg Motors Mustang. Bob got a GT40 ride with Comstock in 1966 and was tragically killed at Sebring. Guys that saw Bob race figure that if he had lived he would have eclipsed Eppie Wietzes, Tommy Hamilton, and probably Ken Miles as well. I remember him lapping the entire field at Westwood in his Lotus 23B when I was like 6 years old. He really was an amazing driver, and his career was snuffed out before it started. He turned the fastest lap ever turned by a student at Rob Walkers driving school, that's some pretty august company.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2017, 06:44:19 PM »
John Hall took over in the seat of the Fogg Motors Mustangs, was pretty damned successful in his own right. Saw John race dozens of times throughout the sixties and seventies. It breaks my heart that my child will never see and hear the pack come over Deers Leap and brake for the hairpin. :(

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2017, 08:46:35 PM »
Shelby Gt 350 4's

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2017, 08:49:52 PM »

[/quote]

I know the drags, but not much about road racing GT 350's, what's up with the aluminum blister on the hood?
[/quote]
Not sure what the blister is for.Shelby GT350 # SFM5S195
 is numbers and codes correct and is equipped with the Shelby Performance optioned 48-IDA Weber carburation induction system

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2017, 09:03:43 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]
Larry,
 That blister was driving me crazy.The answer is.First pic is the orig.setup.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2017, 09:05:33 PM »

[/quote]
 is numbers and codes correct and is equipped with the Shelby Performance optioned 48-IDA Weber carburation induction system
[/quote]
I think I have a reference to what the aluminum blister was for in some of my documentation, but I cant remember off the top of my head, I will have to look it up.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2017, 09:08:04 PM »

[/quote]
I think I have a reference to what the aluminum blister was for in some of my documentation, but I cant remember off the top of my head, I will have to look it up.
[/quote]
Like working my mind.Thanks jaded iconoclast .Now I know what's it's for.

Fordors

« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2017, 09:42:35 PM »

[/quote]
Larry,
 That blister was driving me crazy.The answer is.First pic is the orig.setup.
[/quote]

Thanks for digging up those photos Beppie, you are hard to stump. Also, how about that GM Harrison Div. expansion tank from a Corvette, huh? Who'da thought?
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2017, 09:53:34 PM »
Damn! you guys are too quick! I was going to say it was for the Canada-only wood-fired block heater. Heres a pic of the two Comstock GT350R's at St. Jovite, Eppies was the only one with the surge tank, but look at the hoodscoop on the Craig Fisher/Walt McKay car.

Eppies car with the hood up and a broken front wheel, you can just see the surge tank here.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2017, 09:56:25 PM »
Damn! you guys are too quick! I was going to say it was for the Canada-only wood-fired block heater. Heres a pic of the two Comstock GT350R's at St. Jovite, Eppies was the only one with the surge tank, but look at the hoodscoop on the Craig Fisher/Walt McKay car.

Eppies car with the hood up and a broken front wheel, you can just see the surge tank here.

Closed my eyes on Fisher's hood. ;D

Fordors

« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2017, 10:07:18 PM »

.......for the Canada-only wood fired block heater..... That has to be the funniest line we've seen here in a long time. Well played George!

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »

Closed my eyes on Fisher's hood. ;D

Comstock was the official "Ford of Canada" factory backed road race team, I would be willing to bet those two cars were probably from the very earliest half dozen or so GT350R's built. I have over a dozen photos of these two cars.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2017, 10:36:07 PM »

.......for the Canada-only wood fired block heater..... That has to be the funniest line we've seen here in a long time. Well played George!
If I would have cracked that joke on the "other" forum, a bunch of guys would have jumped in and said "theres no such thing" ;D ::)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2017, 01:52:22 AM »
The Shelby-American Inc, Cobra Daytona faired better than Ford’s original GT40 Mark I, winning the GT class and finishing 4th (after Ferrari’s 1-2-3) at the 1964 24 hours of Le Mans.  Just six of these stunning specimens of American muscle were made between ’64-’65 as Shelby had turned his attention towards the GT40 project.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2017, 02:02:24 AM »
Terry Bagley with Shelby CSX 2000.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2017, 02:04:06 AM »
King Cobra

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2017, 02:05:37 AM »
Lew Spencer – Jim Adams Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe in the pits.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2017, 02:09:45 AM »
Coming off the airport into Hanger Turn was Dan Gurney in his Cobra and William Kimberly in his Briggs Cunningham prepared Jaguar E-type. (Bill Stowe photo)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2017, 02:11:08 AM »
Lew Spencer prepares to get into a Shelby Cobra at the 1963 Sebring race His #16 Cobra that he shared with Ken Miles lasted only 56 laps. He then jumped to the Dan Gurney – Phil Hill Cobra that finished 29th. (Tom Bigelow photo)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2017, 02:12:53 AM »
Phil Hill’s #12 Shelby Cobra was far in the lead at the end of the first lap. Look closely and you will see the Ferrari of Pedro Rodriguez chasing him. (Tom Bigelow photos)

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2017, 11:23:33 AM »
The Shelby-American Inc, Cobra Daytona faired better than Ford’s original GT40 Mark I, winning the GT class and finishing 4th (after Ferrari’s 1-2-3) at the 1964 24 hours of Le Mans.  Just six of these stunning specimens of American muscle were made between ’64-’65 as Shelby had turned his attention towards the GT40 project.
So heres the big question. If you could have either a Cobra Daytona Coupe, or any Mk GT-40 to convert to a quasi-street driveable fantasy machine, which would you pick?

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »
So heres the big question. If you could have either a Cobra Daytona Coupe, or any Mk GT-40 to convert to a quasi-street driveable fantasy machine, which would you pick?
Hands down a GT40 Mark IV with a Tunnel port with cross stack injection.

29bowtie

« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
 8) 8) :) There will never be another man like him!

29bowtie

« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2017, 07:02:47 PM »
Nice 1963 AC cobra at Windsor Castle. :) ;) Great location for a car show.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »
Gurney 1969 Trans Am Shelby at Seca.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »
427 Street Cobra

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2017, 02:09:19 PM »
GT 40

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2017, 02:19:21 PM »
1963 Shelby Cobra CSX2085
It is rare to find a car that has been street-driven and raced in as many forms of competition as this Cobra. CSX 2085 was initially shipped to Ford in Dearborn and originally bought by Jacques Passino for $5,182. The car was shipped off to California the following year. It was then purchased and modified by Bob Gage, a friend of Carroll Shelby and godson of Ken Miles. Miles assisted in the car's competition conversion, which included a fuel cell, roll bar, Weber carburetors, hood scoop, brake ducts and a competition windshield. The car and owner were shipped to England, where they claimed eight victories during the 1965 racing season. After this season, it returned home and was returned to street trim, however its competitive streak still glowed as the car was auto crossed and even drag raced successfully.

Bob Gage sold the car in 1969. It visited Florida and then was tucked away in Canada for a decade. The current owner purchased the car in 1996, upgrading it to current vintage racing specs and returning it to its rightful place, the race track.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2017, 03:38:16 PM »
I remember a Wimbledon White 289/webers B/P Cobra racing and winning pretty regularly at Westwood in the late sixties, wonder where that car is now. Wish I had more info or some pics. It had torq-thrusts on it.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »
Google to the rescue. according to the VRCBC website, his name was Ray Cooke. Now that I have heard it again, I knew that, but the crusty old drug addled synapses let me down. :-[

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
“Fireball” Roberts 

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2017, 11:48:28 AM »
66 Shelby 427 Cobra Chassis Number  CSX3259

Chassis number CSX 3259, is a stunning, genuine street Cobra that enjoys both excellent history and outstanding preparation. According to the Shelby American World Registry, it was originally billed by AC Cars to Shelby American on April 12, 1966, before being invoiced to Stark Hickey Ford, of Royal Oak, Michigan, in suburban Detroit, for $6,275 on June 30. It was sold to its original owner, Jim Rayl, of Kokomo, Indiana, in August 1966 and proceeded to remain in the United States until the 1970s. It is known to have accumulated only 21,700 miles by 1979. It appeared at the First Annual Brown County, Indiana, Shelby American Automobile Club meet in 1978.

In 1979, the car was exported to England and was sold in 1982 to Michael Burgel, of Germany, who registered it in that country as BO-W8. While mostly street-driven, it was also raced occasionally in European Cobra events. Later, it was acquired by Frank Sytner, the 1988 British Touring Car Champion, before its return to the United States.

In 2003, the car was acquired by Doug Johnson, and the chassis was prepared for entry into the Monterey Historics. Unfortunately, it made contact with a guardrail in competition. Following the incident, the Cobra was completely restored and has since been shown numerous times. Photo-documentation of the accident damage and repair is available for review upon request, as part of a documentation file that also includes an old California pink slip, numerous California state inspection receipts dating back to 1970, a copy of the original invoice from AC to Shelby America, photographs of the body stamp in various locations, and receipts from the car’s European ownership period in England and Germany.

In its present ownership, the Cobra has undergone a comprehensive cosmetic restoration by noted Shelby guru Mike McCluskey, of California. It has been finished to its original “street car” configuration in red over black (as when new), with proper Smiths gauges in a stock dashboard and correct new seat upholstery and carpeting. The 427 “side-oiler” under the hood, described by an RM Sotheby’s specialist as being “extremely powerful,” has been fitted with proper Holley “side-winder” intake and exhaust manifolds, as well as correct carburetors and exhaust pipes. All of the under-panels and the gas tank are correct as well, and the car still rolls on its original Halibrand wheels shod in proper BF Goodrich tires.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2017, 11:49:47 AM »
Daytona Coupes

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »
1966 Carroll Shelby Mustang Signed Poster

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2017, 11:53:39 AM »
Some of the crew.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »
Steve32 in white T shirt.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
AC Color Wheel

29bowtie

« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »
Google to the rescue. according to the VRCBC website, his name was Ray Cooke. Now that I have heard it again, I knew that, but the crusty old drug addled synapses let me down. :-[

I watched that car many a time as well!

29bowtie

« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2017, 08:10:06 PM »
 ;) Can't post too many Cobras! And that coming from a "Chevy Guy"!

29bowtie

« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2017, 02:52:07 PM »
Dan Gurney, at speed, in the Cobra he shared with Phil Hill at Sebring 1963.

29bowtie

« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
Nurburgring 1000 KM, 1964, Bob Bondurant/Jochen Neerpasch, DNF.

29bowtie

« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
Sebring 1964, Jo Schlesser/Phil Hill, 3rd place.

29bowtie

« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
Cobra stripped of it's shell. ;)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2017, 11:18:04 PM »
Cobra stripped of it's shell. ;)
Ken in the seat.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2017, 02:35:22 AM »
Dave MacDonald

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2017, 02:37:06 AM »
Daytona Coupe Buck

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2017, 02:38:01 AM »
Shelby

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2017, 02:40:08 AM »
Shelby laying rubber down the straight at Riverside.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2017, 02:42:24 AM »
Pits

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2017, 02:47:39 AM »
Bob Bondurant

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2017, 12:35:33 PM »

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »
Pits
Nice colour shot of Mancinis Beeleaver in the background.

29bowtie

« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »
 ;) ;) 8)

29bowtie

« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2017, 08:09:16 PM »
 :D :D

29bowtie

« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2017, 07:16:37 PM »
 ;) ;) :)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2017, 01:32:54 AM »
1965 Sebring 12h, paddock, Ken Miles with the Ford GT 40.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2017, 01:35:32 AM »
Shelby GT 350

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2017, 01:55:47 AM »
1964 Cobra Daytona Coupe CSX 2287
The Daytona Continental was a 2000 kilometer grand touring race, was the first leg among the 13 races for the 1964 FIA World Manufacturers Championship. The formula was rather arcane given different weighted numbers for the complexity of the race (Le Mans being the most important) as well as the position achieved by the car, and so on. During practice Ken Miles told Pete Brock, “We’re much faster than the Ferrari’s, Pete, much faster.”

With Bob Holbert at the wheel, the Viking blue coupe took off! While Holbert was proceeding successfully, he was called into the pits to have a differential oil change, incorrect fluid having been inserted. Preceding a recent pit stop, the gas tank had been topped off, but Shelby ordered it to be topped off again. The difficulty, of course, is pouring fuel into a nearly full gas tank and although there were two filler caps opened, the pressure of the fuel flowing through an almost full tank created a surge of which came out from the opposite side, down over the body, and vaporized on the hot disc brakes and differential.

In an instant the back of the car was on fire but fire crews immediately snuffed out the flame and more extinguishers on the car ceased the holocaust within a few seconds. However, the differential was damaged, the wiring was ruined, and the race was over for the Daytona.

Mechanic John Ohlsen, who was changing the differential oil at the time, was treated for first and second degree burns. Although the mechanics were convinced that they could repair the damaged wiring within the hour and still finish the race, they shifted their efforts to the remaining cars when Shelby announced, “It’s over.” Shelby’s commands were seldom challenged.

The subsequent history of the race car is a matter of historical record. In 1964 it was co-piloted by Dave MacDonald and Bob Holbert at Sebring where it was first in the GT class. At the subsequent Le Mans test it was the fastest GT; at Spa with Hill driving it set a lap record of 4:04.4. It was disqualified at Le Mans because of an illegal restart during the 10th hour. At Reims it did not finish because of a broken half shaft and at the Oulton Park TT it came in 11th with Hill driving with a smashed oil cooler from an errant rock. It subsequently raced at the Tour de France and the 1965 Le Mans was its last competitive race where it did not finish because of a head bolt failure.

The most interesting part of its history, however, revolves around a November 6, 1965 when the car, now somewhat retired, was recalled into action. A detailed chapter in the Daytona Cobra Coupe book is worth reading. Entitled The Salt: Last Dance for a Champion, the details of the famous Bonneville record set by CSX2287 are dramatized in a fascinating manner.

It turns out that Craig Breedlove’s Spirit of America jet car was at the Bonneville Salt Flats waiting for a test during a period of time that Goodyear had the Salt reserved for four days. USAC and the Bonneville officials required that Goodyear use the facility for a continuous period of time or give it up for other record attempts.

Goodyear’s Director of Racing, Tony Webner, did not want to relinquish the position on the Salt because it may not be available before the weather changed negatively. And so to create a legitimate reason to stay on the Salt until Breedlove could run again, they called Carroll Shelby and asked for a coupe. The reason, if the Goodyear group could use the car to attempt some endurance records, they could hold onto the Salt for their allotted time and reduce the heat from USAC. “Some of the records had been on the books since the 1930’s,” said Webner. “USAC surveyed the official distances including a 12 mile circuit, so the opportunity was wide open – he felt that the Daytona should be able to set several new marks.” (It is noteworthy that some of these records to which Webner referred were set by the very Bugatti Tank in our collection some 30 years prior.)

Initially Carroll Shelby questioned the request because the car had not been used since Le Mans in the preceding June. Precipitously, Shelby found Tom Greatorex, a former crew chief who had transitioned to the Shelby operation and who is credited for keeping the Gurney-Johnson Snake running during Daytona in 1964. He was told there was a rebuilt engine in the shop ready to run, and the Le Mans engine was removed and the new one installed while Greatorex was on his way.

The 2.88 Le Mans rear axle gearing was still on the car so that all that was left to do was to apply a new set of racing tires slightly larger, on the rear, and after a washing the car was on its way. They drove all night and arrived with no sleep in 30 hours but with a good running car. Greatorex found a place to test the car and soon it was running at 6000 RPM in top gear, approximately 188 miles an hour. He said the car felt motionless, with only the tach needle sound indicating its speed.

They soon discovered that the Goodyear officials had not made provisions for refueling the car. So the crew had to go back to town and get a couple of 50 gallon drums of gasoline and a hand pump because, clearly, during 12 hours refueling would be required. When it came time for Breedlove to test the car, a man who the previous week had driven over 500 miles per hour in his jetcar, they discovered that he had never driven a car with a four speed stick shift transmission, but this was easily learned.

There were some significant adjustments which had to be made during the test in order to keep the car running properly, but finally optimum conditions were approaching, considering the negligible preparation time available. The USAC officials did not believe the Goodyear’s endurance record attempt was serious and they doubted that the “little motor” could run that fast for 12 hours. By the way, there was no spare engine. They were also worried that with no refueling rig the time it would take to fill the huge tank by hand pump would ultimately affect the overall record.

As was described by those in attendance, retrospectively, “the whole effort was so spontaneous that it almost failed for lack of preparation.” In fact, the USAC officials didn’t expect the car to last long enough for lunchtime, they therefore did not bring victuals. It seemed they were waiting for Firestones record contenders trial.

The end result is no better stated than in the, “The Salt,” chapters, “At dusk it was over, Breedlove and Tatroe had clocked more than 1931 miles, averaging 150 miles per hour and breaking the record set by Bugatti in the 1930’s by some 200 miles.” It also set 23 national and international speed records. Because the USAC officials had not expected the car to last, they did not bring the tools needed to verify the engine’s displacement, so the car was driven back to the motel for the final verification the next morning.

The history of this car after that great Bonneville event, which we honor in our exhibit, is strange in itself. After one or two brief owners, including the likes of record promoter Phil Spector, the car ended up in the possession of Spector’s bodyguard’s daughter, who, mysteriously, put it away in storage sometime in 1971. She dutifully paid the storage bill every month, and refused to let anybody see the car, even Mr. Shelby himself.

On one occasion someone took some pictures of it which showed that the front-end had been pushed in and that there was blotches of a clay-like material on various parts of the body, but it was essentially complete, though very dirty. By the 1990’s she was apparently aware that the value of these cars had increased but, though she was paid $18,000.00 a year as a Sears warehouse worker, offers were refused.

One suspects that the offers might have been lower than she knew the car was worth, although there was some issues about trading the car for some property, but the swaps never materialized. In several previous conversations, working with Santa Barbara resident and high-end collector car dealer Martin Eyears, I told him that this car was definitely on my hit list.

The reasons were obvious: number one, it was an American sports racing car, needed in a collection populated by many foreigners; it was a large displacement winner and participant in many of the great races of all time; and finally, it was in decent unrestored condition.

Martin and his secretary managed to work their magic and convinced car owner Dorothy Brand to sell the car. In an odd arrangement which I didn’t understand, after the sale was made, monies exchanged, and everything was proper, she ultimately willed the car to her mother and committed suicide.

When this all came to light there was some anger and perhaps resentment by the Cobra crowd, who seemed to consider themselves a distinct population independent of the rest of the car collector world. I sensed they proprietarily deemed that the car should go to one of them rather than some East Coast collector.

Litigation was actually started in an effort to put the car on the market. The details were carefully reviewed and the judge indicated that a perfectly commercially viable purchase had been made. The paperwork was correct, the California pink slip properly transferred, and there was no reason to suspect that anything unusual about the sale of an automobile had been effected.

When the news surfaced in the Los Angeles Times, among other places, somehow an individual claiming to be Dorothy Brand’s boyfriend indicated that he was told that Dorothy promised him the car, although there was no convincing evidence, according to the judge, that this had actually happened. Unfortunately for Mr. Eyears, the litigation required to prove that this was a commercially viable sale as well as to come to a settlement with the boyfriend, ended up in substantial costs which he did not anticipate.

With the car back in Philadelphia we set about deciding what to do with it. First of all, we removed the incorrect writing on the car’s door, made with house paint, simply by using a fine surgical blade which easily dissected the house paint off of the original Guardsman Blue.

The chalky white caulk material, which I never defined, at certain places on the body, easily came off. Underneath these areas, the paint was not oxidized and this produced an irregular appearance. By simply compounding these areas we discovered that there were, in fact, several layers of Guardsman Blue, apparently all put on at the Shelby factory, since there was no evidence that the car was repainted after it was sold. Going over the whole car with medium compound, we brought out the very uniform finish, careful not to try to polish the paint after which some of the uniformity would be lost in the reflections.

We set about to deal with the front of the car which had been pushed in, and I had to recall a rule I made to myself which mentions that if a car part has been damaged or negatively influenced by time to the extent that it destroys the car’s appearance and affects the identification of the car’s true lines, then this part may be selectively repaired as long as the original aspects of the car are maintained and, of course, the repair should be in keeping with the rest of the car so that it does not stand out as a repair in and of itself. This was done and we were able to match the paint that so that the finishes are indistinguishable among the repaired and the non-repaired sections.

After solving this problem we set about the issue of the rest of the restoration. Fortunately, the car was invited to the Collier Connoisseurship Conference at Miles’ museum in February 2004. At that time, a group discussion about what to do with the car included not only Miles, but Phil Hill, Doug Nye, and a group of knowledgeable enthusiasts all of whom were asked to render an opinion about what to do.

It was agreed that the car should be mechanically restored without changing any of its finishes; that all parts should put back into commission unless this would be dangerous, and that the car should be made to run as effectively as it did in its heyday as long as it would not be consumed in the process. The cosmetic restoration that we performed was approved.

Sometime after this conference I invited Pete Brock over to examine the car. We had a wonderful time going over the car in detail. I recorded his conversation, and then he sent a beautiful note describing what he thought of the car. The difficulty for me was this man, whose talents and design skill I admired greatly, whose ability to create a form which led to a world beating vehicle, was in disagreement with the other individuals who had inspected the car as well as myself. Pete thought that the car should be brought back to its original configuration, that is when it first went to Daytona in 1964, painted in its first color, Viking Blue, and made to look as good as it did when it left the factory. (You will recall this is when he bemoaned it leaving his hands.)

At this time there was no doubt in my mind, and I believe the members of the Connoisseurship agreed, that the person to do this job was Bob Ash. Bob is a self-effacing but incredibly competent historian and restorer. We had an absolutely wonderful working relationship during which time Bob and I detailed what was to be expected from the restoration.

What Pete probably did not recognize, is that to bring the car back to 1964 would require a large number of technical and cosmetic changes such as removal of subsequently added body fitments, removal of subsequently added mechanical changes, a variety of details which essentially require a rebuild of significant proportions, each time incorporating newly acquired material to replace what had been removed or changed in the past.

One of my criteria has always been in the, “as found,” condition, as long as the car was found in a condition reasonably similar to the last time it performed for its intended purpose, in this case, racing. Spector did put some carpeting in it which was easily removed, and he did extend the exhaust pipes out the rear, but the extensions were easily removed by Bob when he did his magnificent rotisserie preservation of the entire car.

Bob has detailed this work with numerous photographs and we agreed essentially on each and every aspect of the restoration that was in question. The result is that we have the car that we wanted. It’s as close as can be to the car that was sold by Shelby in 1966, and to the extent that modification were made in its short history before it went in storage, these are not major.

The car now runs perfectly, capable of the same 150 miles an hour that it did when it set records over 40 years ago. It remains a highlight of the collection, and I hope that future generations will recognize the efforts of Bob Ash. The many details that he was able to discover, through his knowledge of Shelby manufacturing principles, parts, supplies, etcetera, are a tribute to his restoration skills and there can be no one in the future, ever, to have more first-hand knowledge of the construction of these cars.

In the recently published World Registry of Cobras and GT40s (4th Edition), editors Rick Kopec and Ken Eber They write,

The first Cobra Daytona Coupe was always something of a mystery ever since it dropped out of sight in the early 1970s. The combination of its being the first Coupe built in the U.S., the first Coupe to win a race, and the now-famous Daytona pit fire (photos of which were splashed everywhere after it happened in February 1964) has established CSX2287 as arguably the most valuable of the six. The fact that it was hidden away for about 30-odd years by a female owner who was, at times, described by a paranoid, a recluse, an eccentric, and a ‘kook’ by Carroll Shelby himself only added to the car’s mystique

From the The Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »
Gurney

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
Dave MacDonald

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2017, 01:52:38 PM »
Carroll has his name misspelled on his jacket.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2017, 01:53:27 PM »
Ads

29bowtie

DavyJ

« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2017, 06:05:19 PM »
a rare picture of Shelby with a  kidney support belt on
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
65 Shelby GT 350

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2017, 10:08:54 PM »
Guy on the right is thinking "I hope he breaks".

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2017, 10:16:39 PM »
Cobra CSX2128 is famous for being on the Rip Cords’ “Hey Little Cobra” album cover."

The 1963 Sebring Cobras were the first to use rack and pin-ion steering and the 289 engine. Recognizable by its unique yellow striping and a cut-away driver's door, CSX 2128 raced as a Shelby American factory team car from 3/63-7/63.

Sold to Coventry Motors, the cars success during the remainder of the 1963 season prompted Shelby American to buy it back for the 1964 season. Campaigned under three different configurations, this workhorse was among the most successful of the factory team Cobras.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
1965 Shelby GT 350 R Mustang Prototype

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2017, 12:57:48 AM »
Laguna Seca USRRC, 1965. Ken Miles (#98), Ed Leslie (#96), and Bob Johnson (#97) in their Shelby American Cobras lead at the start. Bottom Photo courtesy Ford Motor Company.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »
1964 Road America 500 Miles #97 Shelby Cobra CSX2488 Bob Johnson / Ed Leslie #98 Shelby Cobra CSX2431 Ken Miles / Ronnie Bucknum #99 Shelby Cobra CSX2494 John Morton / Skip Scott.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2017, 04:07:42 PM »
Shelby Race Team making their entrance to Bahamas Speed Week 1963.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2017, 04:13:21 PM »
Shelby High Performance School of Driving School cars from the mid sixties,Riverside International.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2017, 04:18:18 PM »
Dave MacDonald turns onto the front straight during the 1963 USRRC race at Laguna Seca. MacDonald was now a factory Shelby driver and would prove to be as fast or faster than the other team drivers. Dave Friedman photo.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2017, 04:20:37 PM »
This is at the Shelby American garages in California as the Shelby mechanics get ready to load the cars for the trip to Daytona Beach, Florida and the 1965 Daytona Continental 2000 Km.  Dave Friedman photo.

29bowtie

« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2017, 12:07:47 AM »
Phill Hill, getting changed beside the Cobra at the Targa Floria 1964.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2017, 03:48:35 AM »
Phill Hill, getting changed beside the Cobra at the Targa Floria 1964.
Man, remember that photo in the R&T coverage of the '64 Targa Floria of one of the factory Cobras drifting around that uphill bend with the brick wall? What a great shot!

29bowtie

« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »
 ;D ;)

29bowtie

« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2017, 06:10:37 PM »
Imagine being able to visit a new car showroom to buy these now! ::)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »
Imagine being able to visit a new car showroom to buy these now! ::)
& knowing what we know now.I'd buy a least 1.Well 2. ;D

29bowtie

29bowtie

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »
Ad

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
Hertz ad

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2017, 08:03:49 PM »
1963 USRRC race at Laguna Seca

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »
1965 Riverside USRRC race pits

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
Shelby in his signature “lucky” overalls and Stetson at Sebring

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2017, 08:13:20 PM »
Shelby check signed by David MacDonald

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2017, 08:16:47 PM »
Bondurant and Shelby

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »
Cobra at the Carroll Shelby-Lew Spencer Hi Performance Motors building on La Brea Avenue.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2017, 08:21:28 PM »
Irwindale Raceway

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #204 on: August 31, 2017, 08:23:17 PM »
Ken,1964 Sebring First Ever 427 Cobra.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #205 on: August 31, 2017, 08:25:46 PM »
Art

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #206 on: August 31, 2017, 08:39:10 PM »
1963 USRRC race at Laguna Seca
Lightweight E-type and a Cooper-olds, also some very cool stuff.

29bowtie

« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2017, 07:49:41 PM »
I don't remember seeing this photo before.  ::)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #208 on: September 06, 2017, 08:39:36 PM »
I don't remember seeing this photo before.  ::)
There was only 2 Cobras ever finished in Hertz Gold.

29bowtie

« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2017, 07:27:10 PM »
 :) :) 8) 8) 8)

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2017, 09:17:45 PM »

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
Riverside 1968

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2017, 10:11:52 AM »
Riverside 1968
Crossing that thin line between trailing throttle oversteer and "aw crap!".... ;D

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2017, 04:55:30 PM »
Riverside 1968
Crossing that thin line between trailing throttle oversteer and "aw crap!".... ;D
Well he made it thru that corner.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »
Riverside 1968
Yea, but the vette is a good 3 lengths closer.. ;) ;D

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »
Riverside 1968
Yea, but the vette is a good 3 lengths closer.. ;) ;D
But they been known to do this in 1 lap. ;D

29bowtie

« Reply #216 on: September 12, 2017, 07:06:32 PM »
 8) 8) Couple of nice Fords!

29bowtie

« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »
Interesting front bumper.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #218 on: September 12, 2017, 08:07:59 PM »
8) 8) Couple of nice Fords!
I have one of those. I'll let you guys guess WHICH one. ;D

29bowtie

« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:50 PM »
Sweet looking street GT40. 8)

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2017, 09:28:10 PM »
1962 Cobra CSX 2001

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #221 on: October 04, 2017, 09:29:55 PM »
1964 Shelby Competition Cobra 427 ‘Flip-Top’

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #222 on: October 04, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »
Carroll Shelby presenting the keys to #1043 at Shelby American in June, 1966 to its original owner Mr. David Heeresperger.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2017, 09:25:12 PM »
Shelby and Fans at a Chili Competition in 1978 in Reno, NV.

29bowtie

« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
Daytona Coupes.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #225 on: October 08, 2017, 10:55:08 PM »
Phil Hill and Carroll Shelby discussing the new Shelby American Cobra at the 1963 Sebring 12 Hours endurance race.  Hill, Ken Miles and Lew Spencer would drive the No. 12 Cobra to a tenth place overall finish and 1st in their class. 

29bowtie

« Reply #226 on: Yesterday at 11:10:45 PM »