Deuces with non-Deuce Grilles

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
Deuces with non-Deuce Grilles
« on: August 14, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »
It is difficult, some would say impossible, to improve upon the classic deuce lines.  But there are some which take the plunge by using something different. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  This 3-window has a Thames truck grille and they did a great job IMHO.

agave

Re: Deuces with non-Deuce Grilles
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 12:44:17 PM »
I personally prefer uncut and unfilled,but this one is pretty famous.....

IBILTIT

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 12:44:36 PM »
I agree with both you guys.....but you just can't improve on a stock '32 shell , lowered headlight bar and the big headlights. The look is just timeless!

HOTRODPRIMER

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 12:44:57 PM »
Although the first one posted by Tom looks OK why have a Deuce without the most iconic grill shell ever made?

I have see a lot of '32's over the years with less than stellar results,,what would possess anyone to use anything else?

Deuces are not the type of cars to make into customs.HRP 

dmc3113

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 12:45:22 PM »
I agree that the stock '32 grille and shell are iconic and hard to improve on. The 3 window with the Thames
truck grille looks pretty good also. The builder had an eye for proportion and look of the what the end result was
going to be. It's like t buckets, some people just start putting one together with no idea what the finished product will look like!

DavyJ

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 12:45:45 PM »
I agree that the stock '32 grille and shell are iconic and hard to improve on. The 3 window with the Thames
truck grille looks pretty good also. The builder had an eye for proportion and look of the what the end result was
going to be. It's like t buckets, some people just start putting one together with no idea what the finished product will look like!
We used to talk about customs like that............guy built the car in a one car garage and never pushed it outside to see it all at the same time......................sorta explains some of the bizarre customs out there......
I agree, nothing better than the stock shell, maybe adjust the insert but don't touch the outside.

Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 12:46:14 PM »
It is difficult, some would say impossible, to improve upon the classic deuce lines.  But there are some which take the plunge by using something different. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  This 3-window has a Thames truck grille and they did a great job IMHO.
If this is the 32 that I saw at Good Guys AZ, it has a late model GM inline 6. It's a very nice hot rod!
Want to buy.......some round, skinny, bias ply tires.

john stimac

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 12:46:43 PM »
Here's the Joe Mack roadster, now owned by Jack Howerton

flatheadv8s

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »
Practically no body panel of the Eclipse was left unmodified. The grille area was completely fabricated to house quad canted Lucas headlights and a grille made of 1958 Ford grille mesh and '58 Cadillac teeth. Ray and Doug set the headlight pods on either side of the grille and faired them into the hood panels.
Life is like a toilet roll. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

so_dak_kid

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 12:48:57 PM »
Mark Freeborn's 3w Coupe

so_dak_kid

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 12:49:47 PM »
If this is the 32 that I saw at Good Guys AZ, it has a late model GM inline 6. It's a very nice hot rod!
A better view.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 12:50:02 PM »
A better view.
Kurt, thanks.  I gotta say that I like this grille, but they have to be rarer than deuce grilles...

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 12:50:45 PM »
a couple of '40 hoods - kinda like the Chrisman A coupe

flatheadv8s

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »
Max Buford's, Well kinda.
Life is like a toilet roll. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

Dean

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 11:45:34 AM »
Another--

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
It's been almost a yr.
Paul Fitzgerald's Roadster
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.