Style & Tech - Headlights & Headlight Mounts

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
Style & Tech - Headlights & Headlight Mounts
« on: July 27, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
Thread for headlight discussion - pics of various styles, conversion tips, etc.

flatoz

Re: Headlights - Styles & Tech
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 09:12:27 AM »
I'm thinking of going about this a little differently and wanted to know if anyone has done this or can tell me if it will work??

I have an original pair of headlights their nice enough, not show but just right for what I want. BUT I want 12V.

I know you can buy conversion kits but I have heard bad things about them and having all sorts of trouble to get them to work properly ( is this true also??)

my thoughts we to buy a new pair of bob drake lights and use the insides in my originals. My question is will the BD insides fit in the originals? As I really wouldn't like to spend the money on a new set if its not going to work, but have never had a pair of BD ones to compare.

Has anyone compared the BD or aftermarket ones to the originals? with the thought of doing this?

I know I could always just run the BD ones, but really wanted the originals that go with the car.

TIA

Steves32

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »
I'm thinking of going about this a little differently and wanted to know if anyone has done this or can tell me if it will work??

I have an original pair of headlights their nice enough, not show but just right for what I want. BUT I want 12V.

I know you can buy conversion kits but I have heard bad things about them and having all sorts of trouble to get them to work properly ( is this true also??)

my thoughts we to buy a new pair of bob drake lights and use the insides in my originals. My question is will the BD insides fit in the originals? As I really wouldn't like to spend the money on a new set if its not going to work, but have never had a pair of BD ones to compare.

Has anyone compared the BD or aftermarket ones to the originals? with the thought of doing this?

I know I could always just run the BD ones, but really wanted the originals that go with the car.

TIA
I'm running a Vintique conversion in my original 34 commercials. No problems at all.
I'm betting all the conversions are made by same company & rebagged.

flatoz

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »

TIA
I'm running a Vintique conversion in my original 34 commercials. No problems at all.
I'm betting all the conversions are made by same company & rebagged.
The conversions I am talking about would be at least 10 years old. so are the ones you have used been in the recent years? I would be happy to try the current conversions if I know someone has had good luck with them. I see they offer the reflectors as well as part of the conversion.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
I bought a pair of the Bob Drake halogen conversions for my 32 3W. They are great.
I was so impressed ... that I removed the 10/12 year old halogen conversions in my 32 roadster and bought another set of the Bob Drake ones.

They were designed for Bob Drake by a lighting engineer.  :)
  They have a stepped area in them to help reflect the light in a concentrated beam.

I also upgraded to the H4 bulbs by Sylvania Silverstar bulbs.

Now I can see down the highway in my 32's as well as I caan in my 2009 Silverado ...
This info comes from the Sylvania site

The SilverStar Ultra 9006SU BP twin-pack contains two high performance halogen headlight bulbs which feature dramatic improvements over standard halogen bulbs, including up to 50% brighter light, 40% increased down-road visibility and up to 50% increased side-road visibility.

flatoz

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »
thanks All.

I have used Narva globes which also come in the brighter as in +50 and they are really good.

Michael

• Corazzelli Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 09:17:56 AM »
I went with the 7" super bees housing with the LED turn signals in the lower part. The LED bulbs are clear when off and turn amber when on. The 7" head lights project a further beam.  I did buy a set of 33-34 headlights and had them painted in case I decide to change up the look of my roadster in the future.

Michael

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 09:18:23 AM »
I went with the 7" super bees housing with the LED turn signals in the lower part. The LED bulbs are clear when off and turn amber when on. The 7" head lights project a further beam.  I did buy a set of 33-34 headlights and had them painted in case I decide to change up the look of my roadster in the future.

Michael
MICHAEL,
    HAVE ALL OF THESE & MY FRIEND KARPO SAID JUST TRY THE BEE'S & I'VE BEEN HAPPY EVER SINCE.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

3 deuces

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 09:18:58 AM »
I still like king bees,but im old school and to old to change,thats what i saw in the 50s.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 09:19:44 AM »
 1932  tudor  use 33/34 commercial headlight in uk England  look good

DANA RED

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 09:20:14 AM »
Just installed a set of Bob Drake headlite reflectors, supposed to correct these problems, will find out in August when we set out for Pleasanton. These are 33-34 commercials.

Unruly32

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »
Just installed a set of Bob Drake headlite reflectors, supposed to correct these problems, will find out in August when we set out for Pleasanton. These are 33-34 commercials.
I love all the chips in the spreader bar! This car is clearly a proven driver.

Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Follow along with my projects here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Copper-Hi

hot rod henry

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 09:21:11 AM »
i like to be guided

pprather

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »
Just changed to the commercial lights.  I used the stainless Bob Drake product.  Haven't been out at night yet.  I installed the turn signal in the lower part of bucket with chrome bulbs that don't show except when lit - then they are amber.  (Bulbs changed after photo.)

3 deuces

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 09:22:23 AM »
I have serveral sets of old king bee head lites that have been paint over and was wondering if the paint can be removed with out harming the appearance of the original tags.Any one done this with good results.Thanks.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 09:23:03 AM »
I have serveral sets of old king bee head lites that have been paint over and was wondering if the paint can be removed with out harming the appearance of the original tags.Any one done this with good results.Thanks.
I TOOK MY TAGS OFF.I'D MASK THE TAG & THEN USE PAINT STRIPPER.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.