IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET MEANING FAD.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
Re: IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET ?
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 01:24:37 AM »
So my next question would be is 60',70's traditional ?

I think it will take 20 or 30 years for that style to be old enough to be traditional.  And what we now know as traditional will be thought of as historic or maybe ancestral, or some other catchy phrase.
Thing is the guy's that love these old cars are dying off.Yes there's some out there that will carry on the flame we all hope.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

Re: IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET MEANING FAD.
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 01:31:38 AM »
Early to mid 60's is already an "accepted" traditional look. Remember 30's-40's hot rods, street rods or whatever you wanted to call them mostly fell out of favor because of the popularity of factory muscle cars.

I personally think that some 70's styling will come back in vogue, think Buick skylark wires, metalflake fenders etc.

Mick
Mick,
 I sure hope so.Late 50's thru the 70's are my favorite.My car fits into the late 60's/70's.Except for the SbF.Not many were used.

Merlin

• Misfit Extraordinaire.
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 06:15:41 AM »
Traditional, Billet or whatever IMO who cares build it the way you like.

I'm just your average misfit with enough knowledge to be dangerous.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »
Best thing about this thread are people are posting..................

In all seriousness, cars like Hollenbeck's 32 & Taulbert's 32 are top notch quality pieces done to the owner's best of their ability. Which any true Hot Rod should be.(Both guys are relatively young when it comes to early Fords) I think cars like that will stand the test of time just like Lil' John's and Boyd's cars that were built with their own pieces made by them. Not off shore bubble packed mass produced stuff.
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 11:47:12 AM »
Traditional, Billet or whatever IMO who cares build it the way you like.
A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase to the point of being noteworthy. Fads often fade quickly when the perception of novelty is gone.

porkchop

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Traditional never goes out of style.

Dean

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »
Great thread Beppie, thanks for getting the ball rolling lot's of replies.
Funny the guy's at the GNRS labeled  our Roadster as being built to a 60’s drag car theme, I don’t know about that but I’ll roll with it.  I do like all of the one off parts Matt & Ron fabricated for it “ Some out of Billet” .
Great thing is if you keep them long enough they usually  get a few tweaks through the years. 

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 02:31:15 PM »
Great thread Beppie, thanks for getting the ball rolling lot's of replies.
Funny the guy's at the GNRS labeled  our Roadster as being built to a 60’s drag car theme, I don’t know about that but I’ll roll with it.  I do like all of the one off parts Matt & Ron fabricated for it “ Some out of Billet” .
Great thing is if you keep them long enough they usually  get a few tweaks through the years.
Kinda like this one. Mcgee owned it,Then Scritchfield owned it,& how it's with Bruce.But it had more history when Dick owned it.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 02:48:36 PM »
Traditional never goes out of style.
What yrs would that be ?
Here's another Fad.http://hotrodcraft.com/index.php?topic=1222.0

Fordors

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 02:33:55 PM »
Well Beppie, I guess I would agree about the "new" version of traditional being a fad. As any long time rodder knows there have been many, many fads over the years and in fact my Fordor fits the pattern. Two toned paint with the front half scalloped, steel, painted 'boards, some blacked out stainless trim, painted King Bees, gray tweed interior and cheap mags that kinda have a billet look. I bought it to fill a need; no time to build the body and frame that I still have but there was a desire to have my sons experience the hot rod events along with my wife and I. In '91 it was definitely in style but today not to my taste so it will have new rubber 'boards, black fenders with body color to be determined, Deuce headlamps and cowl lights, stainless taillight buckets and maybe even bumpers. Wait a minute, what I just described is another fad, the '70's resto-rod.
Then again, maybe a style is not necessarily a fad!?? I really don't know about that but I do know what I don't like to see on a car. Bear with me folks, these are all personal likes/dislikes not constructive criticism on anybody's car. Starting with the front end I prefer an original dropped beam (or the original dropped Bell Auto '37 tube look-alike) on an un-fendered car, and for sure I only like Ford steering arms on the spindles. Disc brake covers don't do anything for me and I never got into the billet wheel thing either, whether it is rolling stock or the steering wheel. There is some billet on my 5 window, but at the time that was a no-brainer. Working as a machinist in the tool room at GM's Electro-Motive Division and having a supervisor (in his mid '60's at the time) that was a hot rodder "government" jobs with both time and material were always available, provided I was caught up on company work. Lots of things, at least to me, revolve around economics and for example that's why I wanted in line 600 Holleys on my 6-71, the fuel lines and throttle linkage was simpler/cheaper to make. There are loads more dislikes I have but I won't take the time to list them all. Above all, remember that this is all subjective, everybody likes something different.
Laid back Deuce windshields, bias plies on new builds, the Rolling Bones front suspension (although it should really be credited to Doane Spencer, but it wasn't seen as much until the Rolling Bones shop popularized it), the Early Times look, the filled and ribbed station wagon insert on my Fordor, pastel colors, I could go on and on. All fads and likely some will come full circle, back into vogue after they drop from sight some day.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »
Well Beppie, I guess I would agree about the "new" version of traditional being a fad. As any long time rodder knows there have been many, many fads over the years and in fact my Fordor fits the pattern. Two toned paint with the front half scalloped, steel, painted 'boards, some blacked out stainless trim, painted King Bees, gray tweed interior and cheap mags that kinda have a billet look. I bought it to fill a need; no time to build the body and frame that I still have but there was a desire to have my sons experience the hot rod events along with my wife and I. In '91 it was definitely in style but today not to my taste so it will have new rubber 'boards, black fenders with body color to be determined, Deuce headlamps and cowl lights, stainless taillight buckets and maybe even bumpers. Wait a minute, what I just described is another fad, the '70's resto-rod.
Then again, maybe a style is not necessarily a fad!?? I really don't know about that but I do know what I don't like to see on a car. Bear with me folks, these are all personal likes/dislikes not constructive criticism on anybody's car. Starting with the front end I prefer an original dropped beam (or the original dropped Bell Auto '37 tube look-alike) on an un-fendered car, and for sure I only like Ford steering arms on the spindles. Disc brake covers don't do anything for me and I never got into the billet wheel thing either, whether it is rolling stock or the steering wheel. There is some billet on my 5 window, but at the time that was a no-brainer. Working as a machinist in the tool room at GM's Electro-Motive Division and having a supervisor (in his mid '60's at the time) that was a hot rodder "government" jobs with both time and material were always available, provided I was caught up on company work. Lots of things, at least to me, revolve around economics and for example that's why I wanted in line 600 Holleys on my 6-71, the fuel lines and throttle linkage was simpler/cheaper to make. There are loads more dislikes I have but I won't take the time to list them all. Above all, remember that this is all subjective, everybody likes something different.
Laid back Deuce windshields, bias plies on new builds, the Rolling Bones front suspension (although it should really be credited to Doane Spencer, but it wasn't seen as much until the Rolling Bones shop popularized it), the Early Times look, the filled and ribbed station wagon insert on my Fordor, pastel colors, I could go on and on. All fads and likely some will come full circle, back into vogue after they drop from sight some day.
Love the axle on Stripers Hot Rod.I blew it.I had a chance to get one & I let it slip thru my hands.By the way Larry,You made some good points.Love Sedan's like these.Pick one.Maybe the next fad will be Stockers.Even Doane moved on to bigger things.Maybe cuz he was a Hot Rodder & wanted something faster& better.His last roadster was a work of art.You think Roy worrys about his.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2016, 05:41:36 PM »
Another way of knowing it's a fad is most of the aftermarket manufacturers hop on board.

TS3X65MPH

Re: IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET ?
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 11:18:49 PM »
Maybe a new trend could be traditional Hot Rod.
What was I thinking.It's still going strong.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 12:09:48 PM »
Well I was roaming thru a lot of little mags & looking at all that paint & chrome.Those were the days.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 01:49:53 PM »
I have some pretty strong "opinions" about the "new" version of "traditional" ::) so I think I will just keep my mouth shut here. ;D
Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
I have some pretty strong "opinions" about the "new" version of "traditional" ::) so I think I will just keep my mouth shut here. ;D I am building what I prefer to call a "period correct" hot rod, I just look at the little pages and ignore the rest of it.
Free your mind, think for yourself, keep the 1st amendment alive