IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET MEANING FAD.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET MEANING FAD.
« on: July 02, 2016, 07:37:47 PM »
For me it is just a fad.There's ton's of them roaming the streets now.I like them just like everybody else but.
What's your thought's on it.
This is what made me post this.A friend sent me this today from some site.Thought it was funny."If it ain't traditional, it ain't hot rodding".
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

3 deuces

Re: IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET ?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 08:54:19 AM »
Yeh, put on those bias tires and follow every groove in the highway.Now the bees are busin.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 11:48:05 AM »
Maybe a new trend could be traditional Hot Rod.

Centerline

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 12:42:17 PM »
When I built my 3 window I built it to a "1964" theme.  That meant nothing on the car that wasn't available in '64 (except tires).  Drum brakes, single master cylinder etc.  Now I'm planning to spend the next couple years (or more) updating the car so its more driver friendly. 

Is "traditional" a fad... I'd say so.  For some of us who lived through the 50's and are getting older, traditional can be a big pain when it comes to enjoying driving the car.  I built a pro-street car 20 years ago because then it was the way to go.... never again. 
Centerline

"Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion of how it should go together."  - Tim "

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 12:42:31 PM »
Yeh, put on those bias tires and follow every groove in the highway.Now the bees are busin.
I was thinking,Which isn't good that billet was closer to the early days of Hot Rodding.Back then they made there own parts & the early days of billet they did the same.There's a few guy's on this site that pretty much stay to the early days & make there own parts.Langy,Roger,Pro 32 & I think that's more traditional in my way of thinking.

aussiesteve

• 32 3 w,32 tub,40 convert,40 p,up,,62 uni,62 Wagon
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »
I have always built and owned traditional cars.It is what I like.
I,m sure they are trendy at the moment,but I really don,t care as I build my cars for myself and my enjoyment,not for anyone else.
The only advantage to Trad cars not being the latest trend is the price and availability of parts.
Patina is earned,not applied

roger

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 07:40:46 PM »
I was thinking,Which isn't good that billet was closer to the early days of Hot Rodding.Back then they made there own parts & the early days of billet they did the same.There's a few guy's on this site that pretty much stay to the early days & make there own parts.Langy,Roger,Pro 32 & I think that's more traditional in my way of thinking.

Thanks for the mention Beppie.  I really like the term "traditional" but I think of it as the new (much improved) "rat rod" not so much as billet.  I go to a car show and still see a crowd around a tri five chevy that is all billet, purchased from the pages of Street Rodder Magazine and I think, wow, this is still popular, guys are still doing this.  Then I return home to carve out something I cant buy for a Model B engine and I think well, that's how it all got started.  Admittedly, you can build a very traditional looking early Ford 3 window, 5 window, roadster or pick up from those very same pages.  Sometimes I think that the traditional rodders are re-writing history and not re-living it because, in my mind, what is main stream traditional today was not very main stream back in the day. After all, you can only lay that windshield back so far. Just think, in another 20 years or so '55 chevies will have been around long enough to merit their own traditional look which, arguably, could be the 60's look I guess.  I hope I'll still be around to tell these young kids how their great grandpa really did it in the 60's.

DavyJ

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »
I agree, traditional has been the choice for the last few years,  a return to timeless looks which could have been built in the fifties or sixties have been showing up and getting lots of attention. I think it started when shops like  Brizio's have been restoring the old classic rides to their former glory..........they get the attention and certainly deserve it.  Many copies of that style are showing up, but I think it won't last as good brakes, good suspension and comfort will always be a determining factor after looks.....................
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 09:11:11 PM »
Kinda like this Fad.There was at one time a lot of this style running around.This Henry has been up for sale for a long time.The price is low.I guess no one can look past all that orange.If I had the $$'s I would put black runningboards,Chrome drop headlight bar.Chrome headlight rings,Real Wheels,Black grille insert,Door handels & hinges,Chrome spreader bars,Some taillights on stands & lets not forget all the louvers punched.Some Tommy the Greek style lines.Forgot the chrome windshield frame.Or you could knock the fenders off also.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 09:27:58 PM »
I don't want guy's to take me wrong.I enjoy all styles of Hot Rod's.I look at a lot of cars & look for that special touch.I still lay on my belly & look up.For how long who knows.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 09:39:41 PM »

Thanks for the mention Beppie.  I really like the term "traditional" but I think of it as the new (much improved) "rat rod" not so much as billet.  I go to a car show and still see a crowd around a tri five chevy that is all billet, purchased from the pages of Street Rodder Magazine and I think, wow, this is still popular, guys are still doing this.  Then I return home to carve out something I cant buy for a Model B engine and I think well, that's how it all got started.  Admittedly, you can build a very traditional looking early Ford 3 window, 5 window, roadster or pick up from those very same pages.  Sometimes I think that the traditional rodders are re-writing history and not re-living it because, in my mind, what is main stream traditional today was not very main stream back in the day. After all, you can only lay that windshield back so far. Just think, in another 20 years or so '55 chevies will have been around long enough to merit their own traditional look which, arguably, could be the 60's look I guess.  I hope I'll still be around to tell these young kids how their great grandpa really did it in the 60's.
Well said Roger.I do enjoy the goody's you guy's make.Wish I could.I have had friends make me one off parts for my coupe.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 09:50:24 PM »
I have always built and owned traditional cars.It is what I like.
I,m sure they are trendy at the moment,but I really don,t care as I build my cars for myself and my enjoyment,not for anyone else.
The only advantage to Trad cars not being the latest trend is the price and availability of parts.
Steve,
I'am sure most feel this way."build my cars for myself and my enjoyment,not for anyone else".
Thanks for the comment on the thread.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 09:51:05 PM »
So my next question would be is 60',70's traditional ?

aussiesteve

• 32 3 w,32 tub,40 convert,40 p,up,,62 uni,62 Wagon
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »
I,ve never under stood the trend thing at all but that could be just me

Patina is earned,not applied

roger

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 10:27:03 PM »

I think it will take 20 or 30 years for that style to be old enough to be traditional.  And what we now know as traditional will be thought of as historic or maybe ancestral, or some other catchy phrase.

lurker mick

Re: IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET MEANING FAD.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 11:00:34 PM »
Early to mid 60's is already an "accepted" traditional look. Remember 30's-40's hot rods, street rods or whatever you wanted to call them mostly fell out of favor because of the popularity of factory muscle cars.

I personally think that some 70's styling will come back in vogue, think Buick skylark wires, metalflake fenders etc.

Mick

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 01:24:37 AM »

I think it will take 20 or 30 years for that style to be old enough to be traditional.  And what we now know as traditional will be thought of as historic or maybe ancestral, or some other catchy phrase.
Thing is the guy's that love these old cars are dying off.Yes there's some out there that will carry on the flame we all hope.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 01:31:38 AM »
Early to mid 60's is already an "accepted" traditional look. Remember 30's-40's hot rods, street rods or whatever you wanted to call them mostly fell out of favor because of the popularity of factory muscle cars.

I personally think that some 70's styling will come back in vogue, think Buick skylark wires, metalflake fenders etc.

Mick
Mick,
 I sure hope so.Late 50's thru the 70's are my favorite.My car fits into the late 60's/70's.Except for the SbF.Not many were used.

Merlin

• Misfit Extraordinaire.
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 06:15:41 AM »
Traditional, Billet or whatever IMO who cares build it the way you like.

I'm just your average misfit with enough knowledge to be dangerous.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »
Best thing about this thread are people are posting..................

In all seriousness, cars like Hollenbeck's 32 & Taulbert's 32 are top notch quality pieces done to the owner's best of their ability. Which any true Hot Rod should be.(Both guys are relatively young when it comes to early Fords) I think cars like that will stand the test of time just like Lil' John's and Boyd's cars that were built with their own pieces made by them. Not off shore bubble packed mass produced stuff.
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 11:47:12 AM »
Traditional, Billet or whatever IMO who cares build it the way you like.
A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase to the point of being noteworthy. Fads often fade quickly when the perception of novelty is gone.

porkchop

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Traditional never goes out of style.

Dean

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »
Great thread Beppie, thanks for getting the ball rolling lot's of replies.
Funny the guy's at the GNRS labeled  our Roadster as being built to a 60’s drag car theme, I don’t know about that but I’ll roll with it.  I do like all of the one off parts Matt & Ron fabricated for it “ Some out of Billet” .
Great thing is if you keep them long enough they usually  get a few tweaks through the years. 

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 02:31:15 PM »
Great thread Beppie, thanks for getting the ball rolling lot's of replies.
Funny the guy's at the GNRS labeled  our Roadster as being built to a 60’s drag car theme, I don’t know about that but I’ll roll with it.  I do like all of the one off parts Matt & Ron fabricated for it “ Some out of Billet” .
Great thing is if you keep them long enough they usually  get a few tweaks through the years.
Kinda like this one. Mcgee owned it,Then Scritchfield owned it,& how it's with Bruce.But it had more history when Dick owned it.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 02:48:36 PM »
Traditional never goes out of style.
What yrs would that be ?
Here's another Fad.http://hotrodcraft.com/index.php?topic=1222.0

Fordors

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 02:33:55 PM »
Well Beppie, I guess I would agree about the "new" version of traditional being a fad. As any long time rodder knows there have been many, many fads over the years and in fact my Fordor fits the pattern. Two toned paint with the front half scalloped, steel, painted 'boards, some blacked out stainless trim, painted King Bees, gray tweed interior and cheap mags that kinda have a billet look. I bought it to fill a need; no time to build the body and frame that I still have but there was a desire to have my sons experience the hot rod events along with my wife and I. In '91 it was definitely in style but today not to my taste so it will have new rubber 'boards, black fenders with body color to be determined, Deuce headlamps and cowl lights, stainless taillight buckets and maybe even bumpers. Wait a minute, what I just described is another fad, the '70's resto-rod.
Then again, maybe a style is not necessarily a fad!?? I really don't know about that but I do know what I don't like to see on a car. Bear with me folks, these are all personal likes/dislikes not constructive criticism on anybody's car. Starting with the front end I prefer an original dropped beam (or the original dropped Bell Auto '37 tube look-alike) on an un-fendered car, and for sure I only like Ford steering arms on the spindles. Disc brake covers don't do anything for me and I never got into the billet wheel thing either, whether it is rolling stock or the steering wheel. There is some billet on my 5 window, but at the time that was a no-brainer. Working as a machinist in the tool room at GM's Electro-Motive Division and having a supervisor (in his mid '60's at the time) that was a hot rodder "government" jobs with both time and material were always available, provided I was caught up on company work. Lots of things, at least to me, revolve around economics and for example that's why I wanted in line 600 Holleys on my 6-71, the fuel lines and throttle linkage was simpler/cheaper to make. There are loads more dislikes I have but I won't take the time to list them all. Above all, remember that this is all subjective, everybody likes something different.
Laid back Deuce windshields, bias plies on new builds, the Rolling Bones front suspension (although it should really be credited to Doane Spencer, but it wasn't seen as much until the Rolling Bones shop popularized it), the Early Times look, the filled and ribbed station wagon insert on my Fordor, pastel colors, I could go on and on. All fads and likely some will come full circle, back into vogue after they drop from sight some day.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »
Well Beppie, I guess I would agree about the "new" version of traditional being a fad. As any long time rodder knows there have been many, many fads over the years and in fact my Fordor fits the pattern. Two toned paint with the front half scalloped, steel, painted 'boards, some blacked out stainless trim, painted King Bees, gray tweed interior and cheap mags that kinda have a billet look. I bought it to fill a need; no time to build the body and frame that I still have but there was a desire to have my sons experience the hot rod events along with my wife and I. In '91 it was definitely in style but today not to my taste so it will have new rubber 'boards, black fenders with body color to be determined, Deuce headlamps and cowl lights, stainless taillight buckets and maybe even bumpers. Wait a minute, what I just described is another fad, the '70's resto-rod.
Then again, maybe a style is not necessarily a fad!?? I really don't know about that but I do know what I don't like to see on a car. Bear with me folks, these are all personal likes/dislikes not constructive criticism on anybody's car. Starting with the front end I prefer an original dropped beam (or the original dropped Bell Auto '37 tube look-alike) on an un-fendered car, and for sure I only like Ford steering arms on the spindles. Disc brake covers don't do anything for me and I never got into the billet wheel thing either, whether it is rolling stock or the steering wheel. There is some billet on my 5 window, but at the time that was a no-brainer. Working as a machinist in the tool room at GM's Electro-Motive Division and having a supervisor (in his mid '60's at the time) that was a hot rodder "government" jobs with both time and material were always available, provided I was caught up on company work. Lots of things, at least to me, revolve around economics and for example that's why I wanted in line 600 Holleys on my 6-71, the fuel lines and throttle linkage was simpler/cheaper to make. There are loads more dislikes I have but I won't take the time to list them all. Above all, remember that this is all subjective, everybody likes something different.
Laid back Deuce windshields, bias plies on new builds, the Rolling Bones front suspension (although it should really be credited to Doane Spencer, but it wasn't seen as much until the Rolling Bones shop popularized it), the Early Times look, the filled and ribbed station wagon insert on my Fordor, pastel colors, I could go on and on. All fads and likely some will come full circle, back into vogue after they drop from sight some day.
Love the axle on Stripers Hot Rod.I blew it.I had a chance to get one & I let it slip thru my hands.By the way Larry,You made some good points.Love Sedan's like these.Pick one.Maybe the next fad will be Stockers.Even Doane moved on to bigger things.Maybe cuz he was a Hot Rodder & wanted something faster& better.His last roadster was a work of art.You think Roy worrys about his.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2016, 05:41:36 PM »
Another way of knowing it's a fad is most of the aftermarket manufacturers hop on board.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 11:18:49 PM »
Maybe a new trend could be traditional Hot Rod.
What was I thinking.It's still going strong.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 12:09:48 PM »
Well I was roaming thru a lot of little mags & looking at all that paint & chrome.Those were the days.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 01:49:53 PM »
I have some pretty strong "opinions" about the "new" version of "traditional" ::) so I think I will just keep my mouth shut here. ;D

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
I have some pretty strong "opinions" about the "new" version of "traditional" ::) so I think I will just keep my mouth shut here. ;D I am building what I prefer to call a "period correct" hot rod, I just look at the little pages and ignore the rest of it.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »
I have some pretty strong "opinions" about the "new" version of "traditional" ::) so I think I will just keep my mouth shut here. ;D I am building what I prefer to call a "period correct" hot rod, I just look at the little pages and ignore the rest of it.
;D

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 04:08:38 PM »
Me,
I'am building a late 60's/70's style 3w.Ya it has a elec.fan,After market axle & a 351w,5spd.I'am going for a overall look.Wild paint & chrome.Thing is I drive the crap out of it.My friends all have bitchin Hot Rods & they all drive the crap out of them.Thing is none of us worry about if it's "traditional".I'll have to double check that with my friends,but I think I'am good to go.

3 deuces

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »
to me traditional means being broke down alot ,at least thats the way it was in the 50s.Old parts could not handle much horse power.for every rod on the street there were probable ten broke down back then.my cars are fairly tradition looking but i have always used 4 bars or hair pins.I had frames split with split bone on unboxed frames years ago but i used to drive up to 7 -10 thousand mile a year. I think my cars resemble late 60s look two high boys and two full fender.

figure8

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »
I see nothing wrong with a SBC as long as I keep the hood closed. Also OK for me are radial tires, disk brakes, alternators and electronic ignitions.  My cars look traditional, but won't pass the test if you look close. Cheap and reliable are good things.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 05:51:25 PM »
since when is a small block chevy not traditional?  :o Seems like no matter how much you try, theres no escaping the so called "gospel" ::) spread by that "other" forum...
I think I need to follow the earlier advice I gave myself, and just sit this one out. :-X ::) FWIW, I agree with the OP, so called "traditional" is a fad. Guys can only look at so many black highboys with '34 commercial headlights, cowl steering, 8BA's and '35 Ford wires before it gets old. Not that ANY of that has ANYTHING to do with the way hot rods actually looked in the forties/fifties/sixties... :o ::)

duaneshotrods

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 06:17:38 PM »
Well, at least we got some conversation going. It felt this deuce board was on life support waiting for Tom to pull the plug!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 08:33:34 PM »
since when is a small block chevy not traditional?  :o Seems like no matter how much you try, theres no escaping the so called "gospel" ::) spread by that "other" forum...
I think I need to follow the earlier advice I gave myself, and just sit this one out. :-X ::) FWIW, I agree with the OP, so called "traditional" is a fad. Guys can only look at so many black highboys with '34 commercial headlights, cowl steering, 8BA's and '35 Ford wires before it gets old. Not that ANY of that has ANYTHING to do with the way hot rods actually looked in the forties/fifties/sixties... :o ::)
What are the yrs for traditional ?Weren't most Hot Rod shows till 49.

Fordors

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 09:09:13 PM »
jaded, you nor anybody should sit this one out. I lurked a for a while on that "other" forum before I signed up there just a short while ago. At the time I felt I could offer intelligent, concise answers as compared to some of the guys there that offer a snide remark, or just a tease of information without really answering much. Some just jump in with complete bull shit to build that all important post count. To me Hot Rod Craft is a breath of fresh air, we get informed answers when needed, lots of interesting topics, posts and great photos. What we could use is more participation, and I am just as guilty as others in that regard.
Tradition is something different to everyone, I think it is what you first got attracted to that piqued your interest in rods, or customs or race cars for that matter. For me no bias plys, early wires, Buick drums are nice when done correctly as far as the geometry goes, SBC, Pontiac, hemi, or whatever, as long as it gets you down the road in a tractable, reliable way. A big issue with me is those that are not informed and might buy so called Chinese parts. There are far to many knockoff parts out there and some just shop price without thinking about the quality of what they buy. Advertisers are slick about saying things like "Engineered in the US" which to me screams we copied it and have them made in a back alley shop God knows where. Stay informed and if you are not sure ask, many are here to help.
Enough of my rambling for now, I need to ease up on the caffeine again!
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2017, 01:06:38 AM »
jaded, you nor anybody should sit this one out. I lurked a for a while on that "other" forum before I signed up there just a short while ago. At the time I felt I could offer intelligent, concise answers as compared to some of the guys there that offer a snide remark, or just a tease of information without really answering much. Some just jump in with complete bull shit to build that all important post count. To me Hot Rod Craft is a breath of fresh air, we get informed answers when needed, lots of interesting topics, posts and great photos. What we could use is more participation, and I am just as guilty as others in that regard.
Tradition is something different to everyone, I think it is what you first got attracted to that piqued your interest in rods, or customs or race cars for that matter. For me no bias plys, early wires, Buick drums are nice when done correctly as far as the geometry goes, SBC, Pontiac, hemi, or whatever, as long as it gets you down the road in a tractable, reliable way. A big issue with me is those that are not informed and might buy so called Chinese parts. There are far to many knockoff parts out there and some just shop price without thinking about the quality of what they buy. Advertisers are slick about saying things like "Engineered in the US" which to me screams we copied it and have them made in a back alley shop God knows where. Stay informed and if you are not sure ask, many are here to help.
Enough of my rambling for now, I need to ease up on the caffeine again!
I guess some people on those sites like to blow there own horns & then it becomes Women's Wrestling.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
My kingdom for a time machine!! ;D

Davs tub

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »
I've built, bought and traded cars for most of my life (70 in a couple of mos.). Some traditional, smooth,and billet, just about all the fads at the time. My only problem was I had them all mixed up. I'd get razed for my billet car when hot rods with blown big blocks were the norm. Now a days you can go to any of the car runs and see a multitude of different styles. This is the way it should be. Of course I still get razed for my Tub not being a real Phaeton. I just can't win.
daves tub

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2017, 01:10:46 PM »
I've built, bought and traded cars for most of my life (70 in a couple of mos.). Some traditional, smooth,and billet, just about all the fads at the time. My only problem was I had them all mixed up. I'd get razed for my billet car when hot rods with blown big blocks were the norm. Now a days you can go to any of the car runs and see a multitude of different styles. This is the way it should be. Of course I still get razed for my Tub not being a real Phaeton. I just can't win.
From here it looks like a real one. ;) Wishing ya a happy 70.I enjoy all Hot Rod's.Loved Lil's & Boyd's stuff.I grew up on wild paint jobs,Mag wheels & seeing blower motors,2 fours etc.The traditional crowd well it's there way or the Hiway.Thing is most of those cars never go on long trips.If I can't drive the crap out of mine I wouldn't own it.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »
On a side note.Where were all these Traditional guy's in the late 50's,60's-90's ?

Lil32

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2017, 06:06:45 PM »
Dave
U can park ya Tub in my garage anytime, its cool

Happy Birthday coming up, hope to see U at LARS
Noel
Still crusin after all these years.

roger

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2017, 10:34:09 PM »
What are the yrs for traditional ?Weren't most Hot Rod shows till 49.
I haven't reread this entire thread so I could just be repeating myself here but I don't think traditional has any specified boundaries in years.  It just has to be a belief or behavior with it's origins in the past. It just depends on how far back you want to go.  A fad had no origins in the past but if you wait long enough a fad could develop its own traditions such as traditional fad T's.  I think of both of my cars as traditional hot rods. They just represent different periods of traditional hot rodding. So to me, a chevy engine is just as traditional as a banger or flathead.

Davs tub

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2017, 08:56:40 AM »
Thanks Beppie, you too Noel. I'll be looking for you at LARS.
daves tub

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2017, 12:27:49 AM »
Thanks Beppie, you too Noel. I'll be looking for you at LARS.
Santa's not hard to find. 8)

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »
This has been a great thread to me; I really don't know where my cars fall into any category. I bought someone else's car, mostly went by a price that I could afford to get into a 32 for. I had to settle for a 3w highboy with a tweed type upholstery, bright blue paint, big rear tires but not chopped, running a Ford engine. I'm slowly changing it to my likes, like wind up windows and things like that. The car is pretty nice shape, the interior must have cost some good bucks and I don't have the heart to toss it out. My car looks basically just like I bought it but I have done a lot more detail work to build it to my liking and not really a period car. Roger, the guy who built my car in Colorado, would probably be happy that the car looks for the most part the same. Being able to drive the car a lot is what is most important to me, what it looks like is what it looks like. I'm happy to hear that I'm not alone in my thinking about having a good driver over a fad.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »
This has been a great thread to me; I really don't know where my cars fall into any category. I bought someone else's car, mostly went by a price that I could afford to get into a 32 for. I had to settle for a 3w highboy with a tweed type upholstery, bright blue paint, big rear tires but not chopped, running a Ford engine. I'm slowly changing it to my likes, like wind up windows and things like that. The car is pretty nice shape, the interior must have cost some good bucks and I don't have the heart to toss it out. My car looks basically just like I bought it but I have done a lot more detail work to build it to my liking and not really a period car. Roger, the guy who built my car in Colorado, would probably be happy that the car looks for the most part the same. Being able to drive the car a lot is what is most important to me, what it looks like is what it looks like. I'm happy to hear that I'm not alone in my thinking about having a good driver over a fad.
chevyfordman,
This is my 3w.The first pic Davy J took back in the 70's I think.2nd pic is how I bought it in the 1998.3rd pic is how it sits today.I grew up in the best years for Hot Rods I think. Late 50's - early 80's.Those are the yrs that stuck with me.I like the chrome,wild paint,Mag wheels& blowers,24's,3 pedals etc.In primer I just couldn't warm up to it.Had split bones,SBC,auto,9""whitewalls.Plus I'am a Ford guy.The only thing I kept was the steering wheel,body & frame & the front brakes.Your coupe is not off the mark much.Me I'd lower the rear of the body alittle closer to the top of the tire.Maybe add some 5 spokes,Halibrand style wheels.Maybe get the 4 bars chromed.It's a nice looking Coupe & it's a Henry right.

3 deuces

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2017, 08:32:51 PM »
looks good to me.build and drive what you like.

DavyJ

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »
You have to admit, Beppie the car had style when I took the pic all those years ago. the difference now is your car exhibits pure "attitude" with the current stance and look.............As for me, I would take it in any of its forms...... ;D

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2017, 09:51:24 PM »
You have to admit, Beppie the car had style when I took the pic all those years ago. the difference now is your car exhibits pure "attitude" with the current stance and look.............As for me, I would take it in any of its forms...... ;D
Thing is.It would out run that Chevy all day long & loving it. ;)

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2017, 05:21:42 AM »
TS3X65MPH, Yes, its a Henry car, I'm happy to hear that the car isn't too far off, I hate the back being so high. I was waiting for the tires to wear out some more and put some smaller rear tires on or lower the car like you said with some chrome bars. I like your ideas, Thanks a bunch. Your car is really cool, it took me until I was 69 years old to be able to afford this one but it still feels good like when I was a teenager. What would you do to my roadster?

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2017, 05:24:39 AM »
TS3X65MPH, Yes, its a Henry car, I'm happy to hear that the car isn't too far off, I hate the back being so high. I was waiting for the tires to wear out some more and put some smaller rear tires on or lower the car like you said with some chrome bars. I like your ideas, Thanks a bunch. Your car is really cool, it took me until I was 69 years old to be able to afford this one but it still feels good like when I was a teenager. What would you do to my roadster?

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2017, 01:25:15 PM »
Me & my friends like to run 285/70/15's on the back.There 30" tall.Burn those up first.Get some new tires & then lower it.Do you have coilovers on the back ?As for the roadster.Leave the top at home.Maybe some hood tops & sides.Chrome spreader bar.I've never been a fan of white walls.But that's just me.Yours is not to far from looking like this.It Just needs a few little things.

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2017, 06:08:28 AM »
ts3X65MPH, That roadster is awesome, I would love to paint my roadster gold, no one seems to like that color but me. Once I wear the white walls tires out, I was going to get some black wall tires. Its very rare that I run with a top, its the only picture that I could get to load on this site for some reason. The car came out of northern Calif. originally, if you look at it close, there are a lot of cool things done to it that I haven't seen on other cars. I've been looking for some neat full size hubcaps; I just haven't run into anything yet. I've been thinking about that spreader for a long time, I think I will do  something with it now that you suggested that. Oh, my coupe does have coil overs, it originally had air bags which I hated; so I changed it to the coil overs. I'd rather have a spring but I'm too old to go into major changes as I would rather just drive my cars then do major changes. Thanks so much for the ideas. Sonny

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »
ts3X65MPH, That roadster is awesome, I would love to paint my roadster gold, no one seems to like that color but me. Once I wear the white walls tires out, I was going to get some black wall tires. Its very rare that I run with a top, its the only picture that I could get to load on this site for some reason. The car came out of northern Calif. originally, if you look at it close, there are a lot of cool things done to it that I haven't seen on other cars. I've been looking for some neat full size hubcaps; I just haven't run into anything yet. I've been thinking about that spreader for a long time, I think I will do  something with it now that you suggested that. Oh, my coupe does have coil overs, it originally had air bags which I hated; so I changed it to the coil overs. I'd rather have a spring but I'm too old to go into major changes as I would rather just drive my cars then do major changes. Thanks so much for the ideas. Sonny
Sonny,
 On the coupe you can screw down the collars to lower the rear.I have never played follow the leader.Nor should you.You want gold paint than paint it up gold.Your the one who has to look at it each day.Glad I could be of some help.

DavyJ

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2017, 10:13:30 PM »
Beppie has it right on this one,  you only have to please one person with your car.........everyone else may have an opinion, but only yours matters.........
If you wish the car to look more old school the thing I would do is lose the block hugger headers for an older design......or run a hood  ;D

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2017, 05:24:30 AM »
Beppie and DavyJ, Thanks so much for the input, the headers have also been on my mind, especially the roadster. Headers would definitely be a good change. The coupe came with a half hood but I have never put it back on because of the way the previous owner had it attached. I have come up with some ideas but I haven't carried them out yet. Great to have your ideas. Sonny

32drifter

• Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R. Tolkien
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
One aspect of "traditional "  hot rodding was you used what you could find... usually at the junk (wrecking) yard.  I miss wandering through the yard looking for parts that would work on my rod.  Now days you just order your parts from a hot rod supplier.  Your part looks just like the guy next to you. (came out of the same box)  Now days you ask a rodder which after market supplier he got his part from NOT what kind of car did that part come off of!  I guess one is not better than the other method I just miss the old days.

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
The most "fad" part of traditional style hot rods for quite a number of years now is running a flathead with old Ford running gear and 35 Ford wire wheels. That is the "old" end of the spectrum of traditional style hot rods. I'm more of the old Pete and Jake style of traditional, excepting the 4bars. I like hairpins, mag wheels and a SBC and a heavy rake, a full hood and undercar exhaust.
Here is what I'm driving now....nothing special, just a hot rod.
Want to buy.......some round, skinny, bias ply tires.

hot rod henry

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »
  Big  topic  as a tee nager dreaming for me was big i am now living that dream as a caretaker of 1960 deuces man this is great here today gone tomorrow enjoy it all boys my new ride is a claassic  i think so but thats counts for me

hot rod henry

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
  Big  topic  as a tee nager dreaming for me was big i am now living that dream as a caretaker of 1960 deuces man this is great here today gone tomorrow enjoy it all boys my new ride is a claassic  i think so but thats counts for me

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2017, 03:06:01 PM »
Just for you Alan.Traditional at it's best. ;)

hot rod henry

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2017, 08:14:47 PM »
Beppie you nailed it

hot rod henry

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2017, 08:16:41 PM »
Finally photos you are patient people

hot rod henry

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2017, 08:18:07 PM »
On a roll

hot rod henry

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »
On a roll

hot rod henry

« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »
So hot here over 120f no driving til it cools down not enjoyable

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2017, 08:28:32 PM »
Here ya go Alan.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2017, 08:55:59 PM »
One aspect of "traditional "  hot rodding was you used what you could find... usually at the junk (wrecking) yard.  I miss wandering through the yard looking for parts that would work on my rod.  Now days you just order your parts from a hot rod supplier.  Your part looks just like the guy next to you. (came out of the same box)  Now days you ask a rodder which after market supplier he got his part from NOT what kind of car did that part come off of!  I guess one is not better than the other method I just miss the old days.
Thought about this for awhile.Tell you one thing.There would only be a handful of Deuces running around.

32drifter

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2017, 12:25:48 AM »
Thought about this for awhile.Tell you one thing.There would only be a handful of Deuces running around.
You're right there would be only original Deuces. BUT thank goodness for aftermarket bodies and frames ... SO you can make a traditional style Deuce "clone".  I just meant there was a traditional way to build deuces too that I miss.  I guess that's the difference between an original traditional Deuce and a traditional style aftermarket Deuce. A traditional deuce will always be a traditional Deuce BUT an aftermarket "traditional style" Deuce might end up being a fad.    I personally  love them BOTH. But then I'm an old fart! 

32drifter

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2017, 12:29:40 AM »
Alan, I like your "down under" perspective on your pictures!  LOL   GREAT lookin' Deuce!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2017, 01:22:03 AM »
You're right there would be only original Deuces. BUT thank goodness for aftermarket bodies and frames ... SO you can make a traditional style Deuce "clone".  I just meant there was a traditional way to build deuces too that I miss.  I guess that's the difference between an original traditional Deuce and a traditional style aftermarket Deuce. A traditional deuce will always be a traditional Deuce BUT an aftermarket "traditional style" Deuce might end up being a fad.    I personally  love them BOTH. But then I'm an old fart!
Aftermarket parts have been around for 70+ yrs.If you think about it,The race was on to go faster Not slower.I have a few friends that are into traditional cars.That's what they like.They go to swap meets & look for those parts & it blows my mind that they know such & such part.These are guy's in there 30's.Me I like Hot Rod's from the mid 50's thru the 80's.I've been around my Dad & friends that drive the snot out of there cars.Do I like a  traditional car Ya But I would never build/own one.I'am sure my friends have a nick name for me when it comes to driving. ;D

Lil32

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2017, 04:59:57 AM »
Alan, U people from Canberra are always upside down
See Ya at LARS
Noel

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2017, 02:42:01 AM »
This is my pick for traditional.

BobT

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2017, 08:12:36 PM »
Great choice.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2017, 08:57:30 PM »

Yea, its traditional hot rod, there's three words in there. But the last two seem to be a dirty words with the new age history revisionists. And when was the last time you saw a car in the little pages with big ass headlights on it? But then most of the neo-traditional guys don't even own any old magazines, they just read the h&@b. Funny how it's a four letter word! ;D

duaneshotrods

« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2017, 06:34:26 AM »

Yea, its traditional hot rod, there's three words in there. But the last two seem to be a dirty words with the new age history revisionists. And when was the last time you saw a car in the little pages with big ass headlights on it? But then most of the neo-traditional guys don't even own any old magazines, they just read the h&@b. Funny how it's a four letter word! ;D
Best thoughts yet, funny how people re-write history. The big headlights just look out of proportion.

3 deuces

« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2017, 10:43:05 AM »
Never saw big head lites till mid 70s ,remind  me of disc era big dumb eye glasses.I bet henry would have used smaller if he had sealed beams. Just my opinion.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2017, 01:39:39 AM »
Ya it's a Fad.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2017, 01:45:24 AM »
Ya it's a Fad.
I always say it's good to stick with a theme...Lemme see, fake patina? Yup, fake ardun? Yup. Fake Deuce? Looks like he has checked all the boxes! I'd be willing to bet it's got current "Wings" in it with the crescent moon needles as well.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2017, 02:01:37 AM »
For my money, you can break traditional hot rod guys down into three rough groups, 1) the guys who were there the first time around, 2) the guys like me a generation or two younger that "discovered" traditional hot rods when Jacobs found and restored the Niekamp car and Bryan did the series in R&C on his highboy, and 3) the "Cochran crowd" which are the guys who came to traditional hot rods roughly
concurrent with the appearance of the So-Cal shifters.
The philosophy of the three groups is pretty different, a lot of the guys from the first group have "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" and have sort of moved on, with the second wave being the group that seems to really respect the history.
Most of the guys in the third wave seem to be pretty resentful about the history, or if they acknowledge it at all, look at cars that were built back in the day as oddities that need to be brought into line with the current version of "traditional".
This group seems to be under the impression that they have "invented" traditional hot rods. This is also where you find most of the "lifestylers".
Man, I had to try to explain "Orca Betty" to my 8 yr old daughter the other day, THAT took some tap dancing! ;D

duaneshotrods

« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2017, 07:26:18 AM »
For my money, you can break traditional hot rod guys down into three rough groups, 1) the guys who were there the first time around, 2) the guys like me a generation or two younger that "discovered" traditional hot rods when Jacobs found and restored the Niekamp car and Bryan did the series in R&C on his highboy, and 3) the "Cochran crowd" which are the guys who came to traditional hot rods roughly
concurrent with the appearance of the So-Cal shifters.
The philosophy of the three groups is pretty different, a lot of the guys from the first group have "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" and have sort of moved on, with the second wave being the group that seems to really respect the history.
Most of the guys in the third wave seem to be pretty resentful about the history, or if they acknowledge it at all, look at cars that were built back in the day as oddities that need to be brought into line with the current version of "traditional".
This group seems to be under the impression that they have "invented" traditional hot rods. This is also where you find most of the "lifestylers".
Man, I had to try to explain "Orca Betty" to my 8 yr old daughter the other day, THAT took some tap dancing! ;D
Well said George, you hit the nail on the head.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
As much as I agree with you, and I agree with you on every point - I don't want this site to become a 'HAMB-bashing' site.   Ryan has managed to create a successful business out of it and I respect him for that.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2017, 09:31:38 PM »
Some guy's never notice that Lil John left the hinges on.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2017, 09:35:26 PM »
This was a Boyd built Henry Hot Rod.Different color now & with a blower motor.

Lil32

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2017, 12:54:10 AM »
Beppie
is this the same car

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2017, 01:30:45 AM »
Beppie
is this the same car
Yes.Gary went to the primer look after the black.

Davs tub

« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2017, 02:57:08 PM »
Beppie, I have no problem with cars in primer, but I think I like that one better in black...jmho!
daves tub

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »
Beppie, I have no problem with cars in primer, but I think I like that one better in black...jmho!
This is how it looked when the Banker Brothers owned it.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2017, 03:25:28 PM »
This is how it looked when the Banker Brothers owned it.

As much as I like the Banker Brothers version over the current one, I also appreciate the new version as it is a real hot rod.  If we all built cars the same way our craft would be pretty damn boring.