IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET MEANING FAD.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET MEANING FAD.
« on: July 02, 2016, 07:37:47 PM »
For me it is just a fad.There's ton's of them roaming the streets now.I like them just like everybody else but.
What's your thought's on it.
This is what made me post this.A friend sent me this today from some site.Thought it was funny."If it ain't traditional, it ain't hot rodding".
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

3 deuces

Re: IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET ?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 08:54:19 AM »
Yeh, put on those bias tires and follow every groove in the highway.Now the bees are busin.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 11:48:05 AM »
Maybe a new trend could be traditional Hot Rod.

Centerline

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 12:42:17 PM »
When I built my 3 window I built it to a "1964" theme.  That meant nothing on the car that wasn't available in '64 (except tires).  Drum brakes, single master cylinder etc.  Now I'm planning to spend the next couple years (or more) updating the car so its more driver friendly. 

Is "traditional" a fad... I'd say so.  For some of us who lived through the 50's and are getting older, traditional can be a big pain when it comes to enjoying driving the car.  I built a pro-street car 20 years ago because then it was the way to go.... never again. 
Centerline

"Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion of how it should go together."  - Tim "

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 12:42:31 PM »
Yeh, put on those bias tires and follow every groove in the highway.Now the bees are busin.
I was thinking,Which isn't good that billet was closer to the early days of Hot Rodding.Back then they made there own parts & the early days of billet they did the same.There's a few guy's on this site that pretty much stay to the early days & make there own parts.Langy,Roger,Pro 32 & I think that's more traditional in my way of thinking.

aussiesteve

• 32 3 w,32 tub,40 convert,40 p,up,,62 uni,62 Wagon
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »
I have always built and owned traditional cars.It is what I like.
I,m sure they are trendy at the moment,but I really don,t care as I build my cars for myself and my enjoyment,not for anyone else.
The only advantage to Trad cars not being the latest trend is the price and availability of parts.
Patina is earned,not applied

roger

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 07:40:46 PM »
I was thinking,Which isn't good that billet was closer to the early days of Hot Rodding.Back then they made there own parts & the early days of billet they did the same.There's a few guy's on this site that pretty much stay to the early days & make there own parts.Langy,Roger,Pro 32 & I think that's more traditional in my way of thinking.

Thanks for the mention Beppie.  I really like the term "traditional" but I think of it as the new (much improved) "rat rod" not so much as billet.  I go to a car show and still see a crowd around a tri five chevy that is all billet, purchased from the pages of Street Rodder Magazine and I think, wow, this is still popular, guys are still doing this.  Then I return home to carve out something I cant buy for a Model B engine and I think well, that's how it all got started.  Admittedly, you can build a very traditional looking early Ford 3 window, 5 window, roadster or pick up from those very same pages.  Sometimes I think that the traditional rodders are re-writing history and not re-living it because, in my mind, what is main stream traditional today was not very main stream back in the day. After all, you can only lay that windshield back so far. Just think, in another 20 years or so '55 chevies will have been around long enough to merit their own traditional look which, arguably, could be the 60's look I guess.  I hope I'll still be around to tell these young kids how their great grandpa really did it in the 60's.

DavyJ

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »
I agree, traditional has been the choice for the last few years,  a return to timeless looks which could have been built in the fifties or sixties have been showing up and getting lots of attention. I think it started when shops like  Brizio's have been restoring the old classic rides to their former glory..........they get the attention and certainly deserve it.  Many copies of that style are showing up, but I think it won't last as good brakes, good suspension and comfort will always be a determining factor after looks.....................
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 09:11:11 PM »
Kinda like this Fad.There was at one time a lot of this style running around.This Henry has been up for sale for a long time.The price is low.I guess no one can look past all that orange.If I had the $$'s I would put black runningboards,Chrome drop headlight bar.Chrome headlight rings,Real Wheels,Black grille insert,Door handels & hinges,Chrome spreader bars,Some taillights on stands & lets not forget all the louvers punched.Some Tommy the Greek style lines.Forgot the chrome windshield frame.Or you could knock the fenders off also.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 09:27:58 PM »
I don't want guy's to take me wrong.I enjoy all styles of Hot Rod's.I look at a lot of cars & look for that special touch.I still lay on my belly & look up.For how long who knows.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 09:39:41 PM »

Thanks for the mention Beppie.  I really like the term "traditional" but I think of it as the new (much improved) "rat rod" not so much as billet.  I go to a car show and still see a crowd around a tri five chevy that is all billet, purchased from the pages of Street Rodder Magazine and I think, wow, this is still popular, guys are still doing this.  Then I return home to carve out something I cant buy for a Model B engine and I think well, that's how it all got started.  Admittedly, you can build a very traditional looking early Ford 3 window, 5 window, roadster or pick up from those very same pages.  Sometimes I think that the traditional rodders are re-writing history and not re-living it because, in my mind, what is main stream traditional today was not very main stream back in the day. After all, you can only lay that windshield back so far. Just think, in another 20 years or so '55 chevies will have been around long enough to merit their own traditional look which, arguably, could be the 60's look I guess.  I hope I'll still be around to tell these young kids how their great grandpa really did it in the 60's.
Well said Roger.I do enjoy the goody's you guy's make.Wish I could.I have had friends make me one off parts for my coupe.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 09:50:24 PM »
I have always built and owned traditional cars.It is what I like.
I,m sure they are trendy at the moment,but I really don,t care as I build my cars for myself and my enjoyment,not for anyone else.
The only advantage to Trad cars not being the latest trend is the price and availability of parts.
Steve,
I'am sure most feel this way."build my cars for myself and my enjoyment,not for anyone else".
Thanks for the comment on the thread.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 09:51:05 PM »
So my next question would be is 60',70's traditional ?

aussiesteve

• 32 3 w,32 tub,40 convert,40 p,up,,62 uni,62 Wagon
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »
I,ve never under stood the trend thing at all but that could be just me

Patina is earned,not applied

roger

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 10:27:03 PM »
So my next question would be is 60',70's traditional ?

I think it will take 20 or 30 years for that style to be old enough to be traditional.  And what we now know as traditional will be thought of as historic or maybe ancestral, or some other catchy phrase.

lurker mick

Re: IS TRADITIONAL THE NEW BILLET MEANING FAD.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 11:00:34 PM »
Early to mid 60's is already an "accepted" traditional look. Remember 30's-40's hot rods, street rods or whatever you wanted to call them mostly fell out of favor because of the popularity of factory muscle cars.

I personally think that some 70's styling will come back in vogue, think Buick skylark wires, metalflake fenders etc.

Mick