Dave Marquez roadster

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
Dave Marquez roadster
« on: June 21, 2016, 05:44:12 PM »
DAVE MARQUEZ'S 'THE SPEEDBALL SPIC'.
Dave Marquez Roadster
HRM cover car. First lift-off body. Day-glow scallops, all chrome, well-detailed. Ardun-powered. "Best Appearing" at '55 NHRA Nats. Motor Monarchs club.

It later became the  Jim Palmer & Rolan Jackson's A/R roadster.

From Jim Palmer's Grandson.
    My maternal Grandfather was a mans man, a WWII vet of the merchant navy, an entrepreneur and an avid racer of anything that went fast. Unfortunately, cancer took him all to early. he died the early 70's, being just a little older than I am now.
He did, however leave a legacy of a love for finely tuned machinery (guns, guitars and gofast stuff) and I recently came across some pictures that I thought we had lost. They are old and from the mid 50's so I apologize in advance for the washed out look. I may try and get them digitally enhanced at a later time, but the scans will have to do for now.
The pictures are of his race car, Slo Poke (his racing Chris Craft and the Stearman Biplane he had were all named Slo Poke). Slo Poke was an original '32 Deuce Ford, owned and raced by Dave Marquez, who called himself "The Speedball Spic". Dave's set up was a 275 ci engine with an 11" Ford truck clutch mated to a '36 Ford tranny with 26 tooth Zephyr gears leading to a '41 Ford axle with 4.11 gears. slo Poke didn't run a radiator; coolant water was recirculated through a tank in the back.
Slo Poke won Marquez a few races and won the 1956 America's Most Beautiful Roadster at the Oakland Ca show and the Best Appearing Car at the NHRA Nationals in Kansas City in the same year.It was photographed sans body for the July '56 edition of Hot Rod Magazine. Later that year, My Grandfather purchased it from Dave Marquez and brought it to Alabama to run in the a/roadster class.
He repowered it with a bored and blown (351 ci, IIRC) '57 hemi and changed little else.
There is an old family story about him and his best friend Roland making a non stop trip from Alabama to California and back in a Studebaker wagon to pick up the newly machined Hemi block, but that is for another thread.
RIP Papa Jim.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

Re: Dave Marquez roadster
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:26:33 PM »
A few color pic's.

DavyJ

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:27:39 PM »
That last one is a great pic. the reflection in the moon disc, the setting..................all cool!

thanks for the smile!
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:28:54 PM »
1 more when Dave Marquez owned it

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:31:07 PM »
The Rodding & Re-Styling article, June 1958 - when Jim Palmer & Rolan Jackson owned it

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:32:05 PM »
Here's a few pic's when Jim & Rolan owned it after Dave.Notice that the DM Front spreader bar is missing.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 12:16:44 AM »
A few more.Last one's a painting.
Check out all that chrome.