Bob McGee/Dick Scritchfield roadster

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
Re: Bob McGee/Dick Scritchfield roadster
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 03:53:36 PM »
Here's the McGee roadster and the clone that is being built to auction off for the Alex Xydias center for Automotive Arts.

Mick
Thanks Mick.2 famous ones.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »
When Dick owned it.
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 03:55:44 PM »
Wonder who did the pinstriping.

Stovebolt

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 03:56:13 PM »
I am going to go out on a limb here, and say that IMHO they restored this car to replicate the wrong version.

it got more ink and is probably better remembered as the Scritchfield version, than its earlier (and now current) version.
Why is it that when you think you've got it sorted .....  something else pops up???

ramjet32

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 03:56:32 PM »
I am going to go out on a limb here, and say that IMHO they restored this car to replicate the wrong version.

it got more ink and is probably better remembered as the Scritchfield version, than its earlier (and now current) version.
x2 on that, If it was in my garage it would be the later version,but not with the chrome slotted wheels & spinners!

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 03:57:27 PM »
LA Roadsters emblem

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 04:00:29 PM »
McGee/Scritchfield Deuce: Profile of a Hot Rod
by the Auto Editors of Consumer Guide
 The McGee/Scritchfield Deuce came to be by accident. When Bob McGee returned home from the military in 1946, he discovered that the hot rod he had left with his friend Bob Binyon for safe keeping had been totaled. Binyon fell asleep at the wheel and wrecked McGee's car in an orange grove.

But Binyon endeavored to make it up to McGee, and he began by collect­ing the parts to create a replacement. McGee used those parts to create one of the most important cars in hot rod history.

Few hot rods have remained in the limelight as long as the McGee/Scritchfield roadster. While McGee was attending USC on a football scholarship, it became the first Deuce highboy to grace the cover of Hot Rod magazine, appearing on the October 1948 issue.

On Sept. 19 of that year, it was the first hot rod to receive a "green cross for safety" window sticker when the SCTA was formally accepted into the National Safety Council.

McGee sold the Deuce in 1955 to Dick Hirschberg who installed a Corvette motor and painted it yellow. In 1956, Hirsch­berg traded it straight up to Dick Scritchfield, a founding member of the L.A. Roadsters club and NHRA ­employee, for a 1948 Lincoln Continental.

In Scritchfield's hands, the car made many movie and tele­vision appearances, and inspired the L.A. Roadsters club logo. In the early 1960s, Scritchfield had Bill Kaegle apply one of the first metal­flake paint jobs for an article in Hot Rod magazine.

In 1971, with a tunnel-ram-equipped 350-cid small-block Chevy and a T-10 four-speed transmission, the car ran 167.212 mph at Bonne­ville, setting a C/Roadster record that would stand until 1979.

Scritchfield owned the car until 1989. The Deuce briefly passed through two more owners before collector Bruce Meyer acquired it and had the So-Cal Speed Shop restore it to the original Bob McGee configuration. This meant installing a flathead equipped with Federal-Mogul ­copper heads.

The roadster's first public appearance after the restoration was at the 50th Grand National Roadster Show in 1999. It was also a prize winner at that year's Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, a testament to the quality of the So-Cal Speed Shop's work and McGee's cutting-edge look.

Though continually upgraded and modified over the years, the McGee/Scritchfield roadster has always been identifiable by its distinctive stance, extended decklid, hidden door hinges, and shortened front frame horns with molded and V'd spreader bar.

McGee performed many of these modifications himself. They were unique for their day, and are often imitated by rodders more than 50 years later.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 04:01:08 PM »
Interior

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 04:02:06 PM »
more pics

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 04:02:52 PM »
Black & Whites.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »
I have a few old LARS programs; here are a couple of pics of Dick's roadster thru the ages:

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 03:51:42 PM »

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 04:33:33 PM »
...and 1988.  It appears that he didn't change much except for wheels & tires and occasionally leaving off the hood, along with a few repaints. 

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2017, 11:38:23 AM »
Bob Mcgee/Dick Scritchfield Roadster.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 11:39:56 AM »
 McGee/Scritchfield roadster

32drifter

• Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R. Tolkien
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 11:31:57 AM »
 :) Check this out:   GREAT!