• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
Re: DEUCES AT THE DRAGS !
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2018, 05:43:35 PM »
Bench racin'

29bowtie

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2018, 10:04:19 PM »
BC fastest Deuce tudor. That dial in is not the fastest it has run either.
Professionals built the Titanic, An Amateur built the Ark

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2018, 11:05:14 PM »
BC fastest Deuce tudor. That dial in is not the fastest it has run either.
And it gets driven on the street, a little.
Wanted: Used +030 TRW L2249 or Speed Pro 7061P 12.5/1 289/302 ford pistons

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2018, 11:41:22 AM »
This is cool. I have flipped by this photo a dozen times without reading the caption, turns out its none other than Mike Marinoff. I love finding photos of unknown/little known race cars that belonged to guys who later became famous/well known.

Fordors

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
This is cool. I have flipped by this photo a dozen times without reading the caption, turns out its none other than Mike Marinoff. I love finding photos of unknown/little known race cars that belonged to guys who later became famous/well known.

Looks like Marinoff is at an early Union Grove, WI event. He ran a string of Gassers and some dragsters too, I think he stayed a SBC guy forever. I think the Grove had that Caddy ambulance forever too, BITD.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2018, 01:00:49 PM »

Looks like Marinoff is at an early Union Grove, WI event. He ran a string of Gassers and some dragsters too, I think he stayed a SBC guy forever. I think the Grove has that Caddy ambulance forever too, BITD.
I think this is the car that came immediately before the '55 that started to get him some national notoriety.  This photo is from Hot Rods coverage of the Minneapolis-St Paul NHRA divisional on July 4th, 1960, and the caption under the photo of his '55 in Montgomerys book also says 1960, so this had to be really close to when he debuted the '55. The deuce above is probably powered by the same latham blown small-block that was in the '55 when it first appeared.

Fordors

« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »
George, you know more about Marinoff than I do and he was a relatively local guy.
I know the basement floor is down there because it's holding everything up. I just can't see it anymore.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2018, 03:14:25 PM »
George, you know more about Marinoff than I do and he was a relatively local guy.
Not really, I got all that from the info in the magazine and Montgomerys book! ;D I guess I "know" it now though, once I read or see something related to hot rods or racing, it seems to stick pretty good! ;D

Corny Deuce

« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2018, 01:59:42 PM »
The car in reply # 85 was owned and driven  by Ray Freeman of Omaha, Nebraska In 1960.  The first time I saw it race was the summer 1960 at Lincoln AFB, Nebraska.  A Lincoln club staged drags at base a couple of times a month
on a concrete taxi way.  Ray usually wore a tall cowboy hat with full size arrow through it.  Helmets weren't yet a requirement.  The deuce was painted a pale yellow with a supercharged Chevy small block.  If look at the headers you will notice the large square collectors.  It was the loudest car at the races.  I don't have any pictures from 1960, but I do have some from 1961.  Then it was owned by Bill Gibson minus the supercharger.  Freeman then had a rail.
I took the pictures at Flightland Airport(Omaha Dragway) near Omaha.
Life is short.  Eat dessert first.

jaded iconoclast

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2018, 02:13:51 PM »
The car in reply # 85 was owned and driven  by Ray Freeman of Omaha, Nebraska In 1960.  The first time I saw it race was the summer 1960 at Lincoln AFB, Nebraska.  A Lincoln club staged drags at base a couple of times a month
on a concrete taxi way.  Ray usually wore a tall cowboy hat with full size arrow through it.  Helmets weren't yet a requirement.  The deuce was painted a pale yellow with a supercharged Chevy small block.  If look at the headers you will notice the large square collectors.  It was the loudest car at the races.  I don't have any pictures from 1960, but I do have some from 1961.  Then it was owned by Bill Gibson minus the supercharger.  Freeman then had a rail.
I took the pictures at Flightland Airport(Omaha Dragway) near Omaha.
That's definitely the same car. Its not the first time Hot Rod magazine put the wrong name in a caption! ;D thanks for posting clarification on that!

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »
Thanks for the history lesson; I appreciate it.

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2018, 01:18:34 AM »
Roadster
You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: Today at 08:22:57 AM »
 ;)