El Mirage

roger

El Mirage
« on: December 06, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »
I didn't make it out to Ell Mirage at all this year but here's a few pics from last year...

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
Re: El Mirage
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:15:22 AM »
Cool pics.  I always wonder how long some of those cars have been racing and how much they've morphed from their original race car state.

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:43:53 AM »
Dad's El camino. Dad raised the B gas class record at El Mirage at all 5 lakes meets in 1960. He earned enough points to win the SCTA season high point champion trophy. Best speed was 144.
Roadster pick ups forever!

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:09:04 AM »
This clock was the high point champion trophy. It still keeps perfect time.

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
This is the program from the only time I took the roadster to El Mirage. Took a week to clean the dust and silt off the car. Drag racing was a lot cleaner!

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:27 AM »
This is what happens when El Mirage bites back. 51 years later I'm still paying for this. :'(

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
This is what happens when El Mirage bites back. 51 years later I'm still paying for this. :'(

OUCH !  I really like these Studes.  Another Raymond Loewy creation bites the dust. 

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »
This is what it looked like before I wadded it up. Wish I still had the spine of that young kid.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 07:36:20 PM »
This is what it looked like before I wadded it up. Wish I still had the spine of that young kid.

It's good to see that you made it out alive, but it sounds like your back still reminds you of the accident.

If you don't mind, tell us about the Studebaker.  What does 'Howard Eater' mean ?  Is that someone's name ?

DavyJ

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:08:43 PM »
That was a good looking Stude for a young guy! Maybe L & L could sponsor a remake ........... ;D
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 01:43:33 AM »
I wrote the history of Howard Eater I and II for the Road Runner's history page last year.

I have the story saved in a doccument, but I don't seem to be able to attach it so it will post here.  Tom, can you help?

I'm affraid L&L won't be financing any more race cars. After 55 years in business, I was forced to shut it down by the economy at the end of 2009.

I had surgery 19 months ago to repair my spine. I now have 16" of titanium rods and a bunch of screws holding it together. So, yes, every time I move, I am reminded of May 20, 1962, and how bad El Mirage can bite you.  :'(

Red

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 10:40:36 AM »
 :)

DavyJ

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »
Red,  fantastic photo...................................Dean, that story sounds like something worth waiting for.............Hopefully with the weather out there the aches and pains will stay to a minimum........Thanks again for sharing the pics and tales..

Red

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 09:58:15 PM »

Red,  fantastic photo...................................Dean, that story sounds like something worth waiting for.............Hopefully with the weather out there the aches and pains will stay to a minimum........Thanks again for sharing the pics and tales..

Thanks Dave... wish I'd been there to take it myself.  I have a French car club brother (Fabien) who built a beautiful '67 bug.  Stephan Szantai (also a club member and photo journalist who Dean knows as well) wanted to do a magazine shoot and Fabien chose El Mirage.  The '32 belongs to one of Fabien's friends who went along for the ride.  I'd planned to go as well but something came up and had to pass.  I'm not sure who actually took the pic but my bet is Stephan.  Here's a couple more...

DavyJ

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 02:41:08 PM »
Judging by the long shadow's they were out there when the sun came up................dedication...........nice pics!

Dean Lowe

• Historian
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 01:59:35 AM »
Yes, I know Stephan. he owns my little brother's '57 rag top Oval window.