32 Frame Construction

gbfab

Re: 32 Frame Construction
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2017, 10:28:02 AM »
Left side done.  10-32 button heads will be replaced with #3 Dzus fasteners for final  mounting.  The nose on the front bottom panel is made from 1/4 flat aluminum and fastened from the backside.  I have made these before by forming the aluminum from one piece but is way too much work and this way looks a lot cleaner.  I have a couple of side vents left that I haven't sold so I will probably put those on also. 

gbfab

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2017, 10:43:50 AM »
One or two sets of these vents will go on also.  They are bare brushed steel now.  Not sure if I will have them chromed or clear coated. 

gbfab

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »
A better idea of how they look mounted.  Vents won't go on until the car is on the ground on four wheels.  I found out the hard way that if they are off a little bit it looks like hell.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »
A better idea of how they look mounted.  Vents won't go on until the car is on the ground on four wheels.  I found out the hard way that if they are off a little bit it looks like hell.
Sure has a nice fit, well done!
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

Corny Deuce

« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »
I inquired previously about your front spring set up.
A follow up question does this design ride better than a properly set up leaf spring?
Does it eliminate choppiness and harshness of the leaf spring?
Life is short.  Eat dessert first.

gbfab

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »
I really couldn't tell you for sure.  The last 3 cars I have built have all had coil overs on the front mainly because I like the way it looks and the ability to change spring rated and dampening.  I don't think I have ridden in a " properly " set up leaf spring car.  The problem is that you start with a short wheelbase,  put on a solid beam type axle,  short travel suspension, maybe 4 inches, small front tires with very little cushion effect, you will have a pretty rough riding car.  I love the way my 3 window rides but if  you get on a concrete freeway with expansion joints every 20ft you will definitely notice it.  The first thing I tell people who ride in my car for the first time is this car does NOT ride like my Suburban.

gbfab

« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »
Finishing up the rear track bar so I can put everything on the ground and set the front suspension up for the ride height.  Bar made from 7/8 .120 wall 4130 with 5/8 rod ends at both ends.  Mounting plates are 3/16 stainless. 

gbfab

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2017, 02:02:59 PM »
Now that the rear suspension is finished its time to decide on how low I want the front to be.  Really need to roll it out of the garage and get a idea from a distance.