32 Frame Construction

gbfab

Re: 32 Frame Construction
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2017, 10:28:02 AM »
Left side done.  10-32 button heads will be replaced with #3 Dzus fasteners for final  mounting.  The nose on the front bottom panel is made from 1/4 flat aluminum and fastened from the backside.  I have made these before by forming the aluminum from one piece but is way too much work and this way looks a lot cleaner.  I have a couple of side vents left that I haven't sold so I will probably put those on also. 

gbfab

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2017, 10:43:50 AM »
One or two sets of these vents will go on also.  They are bare brushed steel now.  Not sure if I will have them chromed or clear coated. 

gbfab

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »
A better idea of how they look mounted.  Vents won't go on until the car is on the ground on four wheels.  I found out the hard way that if they are off a little bit it looks like hell.

duaneshotrods

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »
A better idea of how they look mounted.  Vents won't go on until the car is on the ground on four wheels.  I found out the hard way that if they are off a little bit it looks like hell.
Sure has a nice fit, well done!
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.

Corny Deuce

« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »
I inquired previously about your front spring set up.
A follow up question does this design ride better than a properly set up leaf spring?
Does it eliminate choppiness and harshness of the leaf spring?
Life is short.  Eat dessert first.

gbfab

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »
I really couldn't tell you for sure.  The last 3 cars I have built have all had coil overs on the front mainly because I like the way it looks and the ability to change spring rated and dampening.  I don't think I have ridden in a " properly " set up leaf spring car.  The problem is that you start with a short wheelbase,  put on a solid beam type axle,  short travel suspension, maybe 4 inches, small front tires with very little cushion effect, you will have a pretty rough riding car.  I love the way my 3 window rides but if  you get on a concrete freeway with expansion joints every 20ft you will definitely notice it.  The first thing I tell people who ride in my car for the first time is this car does NOT ride like my Suburban.

gbfab

« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »
Finishing up the rear track bar so I can put everything on the ground and set the front suspension up for the ride height.  Bar made from 7/8 .120 wall 4130 with 5/8 rod ends at both ends.  Mounting plates are 3/16 stainless. 

gbfab

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2017, 02:02:59 PM »
Now that the rear suspension is finished its time to decide on how low I want the front to be.  Really need to roll it out of the garage and get a idea from a distance.

gbfab

« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
Finally getting around to finishing the radius rods and getting the front end set up.  100-112 deg.  temps around here not too fun to work in.  Bought some stainless batwings, perch bolts and stainless rod ends from Speedway and not real impressed.  I assumed that just the tops of the bolts would be chromed but the full length was chromed and would not fit the axle.  Removed all the plating off the shaft made them fit.  Batwings were also too narrow and not parallel to the axle bosses.  Worst of all the threads on the stainless rod ends were oversize and needed to be chased.  Not easy and a new die cost twice what the rod end did.

aussiesteve

• 32 3 w,32 tub,40 convert,40 p,up,,62 uni,62 Wagon
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »
Speedway,you get what you pay for
Patina is earned,not applied

gbfab

« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »
Decided to make a clevis for the front track bar from 1/4" stainless to mount to the front shock bolt.   

gbfab

« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
Front suspension completed except for modifying the So-Cal steering damper for a rod end.  Had a few minor changes for clearance under full bump and right, left steering lock but everything is fine now.  400lb spring on the shocks now but I'm pretty they will be to stiff due to the steeper shock angle but I will know for sure after it is a driver for a while.  Now to pull the body off, do all the finish welding and start building the exhaust.

Austin Ron

« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2017, 10:01:18 AM »
I've always thought about running coil overs on the front. How do they ride?

Neat car!
I'm almost positive that I know what's up...

gbfab

« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2017, 04:33:32 PM »
It took a while to get the pre-load and spring right but all of my cars ride really nice.

gbfab

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »
When I put in all the steel reinforcement I also welded small eyelets on the lower tubes to attach lifting straps to.  Glad I did, not a lightweight body anymore.  Once I got the balance point figured out, a piece of cake to lift off with the cherry picker.  No more buying a case of beer and calling three more guys to help with the lifting. 

duaneshotrods

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2017, 05:07:20 PM »
When I put in all the steel reinforcement I also welded small eyelets on the lower tubes to attach lifting straps to.  Glad I did, not a lightweight body anymore.  Once I got the balance point figured out, a piece of cake to lift off with the cherry picker.  No more buying a case of beer and calling three more guys to help with the lifting.
Great idea & you can keep the beer for yourself.  ;)
Get the stance right, followed by fit & finish.