32 Frame Construction

gbfab

Re: 32 Frame Construction
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »
Left side pipe done back to the muffler.  2 1/4 stainless with a slip joint at the trans.  Torq-tite band clamps will seal everything up.

gbfab

« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2017, 07:53:36 PM »
Mufflers and tail piped done today.  Probably will leave the tail pipes tacked until the body is back on permanently so I can raise or lower them if needed. 

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »
Mufflers and tail piped done today.  Probably will leave the tail pipes tacked until the body is back on permanently so I can raise or lower them if needed.

Looks all nice and tidy.  Great job.

gbfab

« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2017, 02:47:09 PM »
Made the headlight mounts today from 1/4 inch stainless. Ready to clean off the welds and have them polished.   If at all possible I made all the small steel parts from stainless to avoid getting a fortune tied up in plating.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2017, 09:07:08 AM »
Made the headlight mounts today from 1/4 inch stainless. Ready to clean off the welds and have them polished.   If at all possible I made all the small steel parts from stainless to avoid getting a fortune tied up in plating.

Nice work as always.  I am impressed with your fab skills.  How are the headlight mounts going to keep their position ?

gbfab

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2017, 10:52:57 AM »
The 5/8 grd8 bolts have a interference fit into the stainless plates.  When tightened up I can actually stand on them and they won't move.  The best part about them is I can raise or lower the lights whenever I want.  A problem I ran into when I had the brake and light inspection on my 3w.

Tom

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »
Thank you !  I knew that you had it figured out; I just couldn't see how it worked.

gbfab

« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »
After some checking I remembered that the steel shell I have is not a Brookville and that most of the ones other shops sell now are not USA made.  This makes finding an insert that fits almost impossible.  So I guess I'll just make my own. Sure not going to pay someone $1500-$2000 to do it for me.  Got the rim bands fit and ready to weld together.  Takes a while since it all has to bent by hand but I really had nothing better to do. The rim is 1/8x1/2 CR and the vert. pieces are 1/8x1/4 CR.  All pieces will be polished before they are welded in then chromed.  The inside faces of the vert. pieces will be painted the same color as the body with the front edge chrome exposed. 

gbfab

« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2017, 04:16:10 PM »
Outer band finish welded and ground smooth.  Stayed perfectly straight and drops right into the shell. 

DavyJ

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2017, 07:49:24 PM »
A friend of mine used to weld up grille's from stainless flat bar,  he made some plywood cross bars and cut slots with the table saw to hold the bars while he welded them. He used to make three cross boards for each grille so the bars were all exactly spaced and did not twist when heated.....  Way more time planning and getting prepared than the actual welding, but they came out great.  Enjoy the build  thanks for bringing us along
Living life at a 100 smiles per hour!

gbfab

« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2017, 09:57:31 PM »
I really wish I could have found stainless in the sizes I needed.  As long as I polish all the parts first and then weld it should keep the plating costs fairly low.  It will have around 45 vertical bars 1/4 inch apart.

DavyJ

« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2017, 07:50:52 PM »
If it is not too late....
https://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-flat-stock/=19klysi

McMaster Carr is where I get stainless bars for work, you can get 3/16 x 3/16  or 1/4 x 1/4  in 3' lengths   they even have some sizes in polished finish, but that is a lot more money...

gbfab

« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »
Originally that's what I was planning on doing but I decided that with the lengths they sold there would be way too much wasted material.   Also if I had anything shipped as soon as it got to six feet the shipping costs sky rocketed.  I was looking for 1/8x1/4 and anything 1/2 and under is sheared so I was concerned with it being straight.

DavyJ

« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2017, 07:31:54 PM »
That makes sense,  luckily for me shipping costs are not a worry since my Mcmaster Carr bill is in the thousands every month   :)   but that is for the large machine shop I work in.......not for personal projects....

keep us posted on the progress...

gbfab

« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
It looks like it might need to be a plan B for the chrome on the grill insert.  Got 3 estimates today and with me doing all the initial polishing prices were $750 to $900.  Typical So. Cal.  I can buy a new shell and matched stainless insert for that much.  Maybe I'll see what options I have with powder coating. 

« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2017, 07:09:07 PM »
What color did Henry use.....dove grey? Powder coat would probably make more sense.
Want to buy.......some round, skinny, bias ply tires.