SHORES & HESS ANGLIA

TS3X65MPH

• THANKS TO MY DAD & MOM,WIFE GLYNIS & SON STEVEN
SHORES & HESS ANGLIA
« on: January 02, 2016, 02:06:07 AM »
SHORES & HESS ANGLIA COVER OF ROD & CUSTOM FEB. 1966.

NHRA stood fast on the minimum wheelbase restrictions until 1968, but over at AHRA-sanctioned strips, no such rules existed. This opened the door for local west coast tracks like Lions and Irwindale to schedule AA/GS meets on a regular schedule. These match races packed the stands, paid well and soon many of the former injected small block-powered cars, switched over to superchargers and did remarkably well.
Now, in 1965, two of the most famous Anglia gassers ever built switched from the small block Chevy to the all-new 396/427 engine. The Shores & Hess Anglia, driven by Skip Hess was one of the first racers to obtain the new big block Chevy. With the addition of a 6-71 blower, the car entered the AA/GS ranks but only under the AHRA banner. Quickly thereafter, Ed and Ray Kohler of King Kong Anglia fame made the move to a then-huge 454ci Chevy. With both cars now competing in the AA/GS ranks, the match race madness was in full swing.
From Team Amazo.

You Aren't Living If Your Windshield Isn't Dirty.

TS3X65MPH

Re: SHORES & HESS ANGLIA
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:00:40 PM »
Skip Hess was born in Chicago. His father passed away when he was 12 and he moved with his mother to San Diego, California. While attending high school in San Diego, Skip spent much of his free time at Burner's Auto Body. His first car was a '32 Ford with a 354ci Chrysler engine. Skip drove this car to school and would race it at Paradise Mesa drag strip.

Skip then attended college and studied mechanical engineering. He sold the '32 Ford and bought a new '62 Corvette. With some help from friends he built this car for CM/SP (a modified road car class I think, my knowledge of drag racing classes is improving all the time) with a 375ci small block Chevy with Hilborn injection. They called the car the Wildebeast and even at a heavy 3,500lbs, it set a national record. Skip met Jim Shores in 1964 and they got together to beat Johnny Loper's unblown A/G Anglia. In 1965, they pooled their funds and hired Don Long to build them their own Anglia to compete at national events. They ran match races at Lion's Drag Strip and Irwindale raceway.
From Team Amazo.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »
As already stated, although the rules for NHRA remained the same as far as the Anglia (and similar) were concerned, NHRA was not the only game in town. The AHRA had made terrific inroads and, particularly in Southern California, AHRA had no problems with blower motors in the small cars. Shores & Hess put the first blown small-block Chevy in an Anglia, a Hilborn-injected 375ci small-block Chevy and a 4 speed transmission. Skip wanted to switch to a B&M Hydromatic due to the incompatibility of the 4 speed and the short wheelbase. Jim was strongly against this, so Shores & Hess broke up. Skip changed the tranny and he proceeded to set an A/G record of 137.40 mph at California's Half Moon Bay. Shores was there and this run changed his mind; It was Shores and Hess once again.

For a short period of time after they split, Jim Shores teamed up with the Kohlers, I think this deal lasted less than a month, but it would tie in with the fact that the Kohler Brothers putting in the same engine/gearbox combo. But, upping the ante a few weeks later when Chevrolet released the 396ci Big Block in 1965, the Kohlers then dropped in a blown 396ci big block and were followed a week or two later by Shores & Hess doing the same. They renamed their car Skipper's Critter but changed back to Shores and Hess again. They moved up to the A/Gas Supercharged class after setting some new records and began running against Stone, Woods & Cook and Big John Mazmanian. These cars were tremendously popular in Southern California, and the handwriting was on the wall for the NHRA 'anti-Anglia' rules.

Just as an aside, Skip Hess is generally given credit for coining the term “Rat Motor” for the big-block Chevy when he had Jack Burr add that lettering to the scoop on the Anglia when the big motor was put in the car.

After some time the team again dissolved to pursue their own interests, Skip's being in the direction of work and family. In 1968 Jim Shores sold the car to the Pittman Bros and the top at some point was chopped. What happened to the car after that is a little bit of a mystery, as it doesn't to appear to have resurfaced, if it exists at all.
From Team Amazo.

Tom

• Administrator
    • http://hotrodcraft.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 12:55:37 PM »
This is the best looking Anglia I've ever seen !  Thanks for the story; I love reading history.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 09:27:29 PM »
This is the best looking Anglia I've ever seen !  Thanks for the story; I love reading history.
Here's a few more for ya Tom with it's blower motor.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 09:20:27 PM »
A few more.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 09:26:40 PM »
A few more.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
A few more.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 09:52:24 PM »
SKIPPERS CRITTER

Striper

• Whetstone Pinstriping
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 12:55:20 AM »
 I remember that car very well , as I had a high school girlfriend that lived across the street from Skip Hess.
Anything worth doing is worth doing right . -- Frank Kurtis

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 01:01:19 PM »
I remember that car very well , as I had a high school girlfriend that lived across the street from Skip Hess.
That's cool. I just scanned this.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:53 AM »
Last 1.

TS3X65MPH

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 01:06:41 AM »
Shores & Hess

Striper

• Whetstone Pinstriping
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 11:40:16 PM »
 After reading this spec sheet I find it interesting that although they mentioned the paint and upholstery , they omitted the person who did the lettering and pin striping . His name was Jack Burr and did quite a few racecars during that time period in the San Gabriel Valley . I was fortunate to be able to watch him do some of the lettering on this car one day while at my girlfriend's house across the street from Skip Hess . Ironically At the same time I was taking the Signarts class at Pasadena City College , it was very educational for me at the time . Sadly Jack passed on several years back but I will always remember that day .
Anything worth doing is worth doing right . -- Frank Kurtis